So what should we do?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

SWPIGWANG
Jedi Council Member

So what should we do?

Post by SWPIGWANG »

Considering how many groups of people and ideas are slammed in this forum, does any of you have any solutions to them or all you are going to do is whine?

Lets start with the Israelis. What do you think should be done? What do you think can and would be done realistically?
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

give them mass aid to conquer the middle east, just for kicks. no iraq or iran problem.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Re: So what should we do?

Post by Wicked Pilot »

SWPIGWANG wrote:Lets start with the Israelis. What do you think should be done? What do you think can and would be done realistically?
If both sides realized how full of shit their religions where, the tide of violence would drop dramaticly. Things wouldn't be perfect mind you, but the peace process would be less hindered by religious intoleration and egocentrisism.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Speaking from my perspective, as would-be President of America:

Tell them to shape up or forget about American aid; that means, no money, no American soldiers in the region, and possible embargos if they just ignore it.

Thusly, they will have to:

*Hold investigations into the deaths of noncombatants
*Cease and desist the settling of the OCTR, unless:
*The OCTR must be granted independence, and:
*All segregation and discrimation will cease. All Arabs are to be granted full rights.
*Israel may not launch any preemptive invasions. Period.
*Ariel Sharon must step down.

The Palestinians must also shape up, elsewise American soldiers will intervene and force meditation of the conflict. This means:

*Immediate disbanding of the PLA, the infinthada and Hamas, etc.
*American soldiers will be deployed to set up a democratic government. Any member of the PLA, Hamas, or supporter of Arafat will be barred from running for election.
*American soldiers will ensure that all economic aid goes into rebuilding the Palestinian state.

*First nation to attack the other will be met with a full severence of diplomatic ties, embargos, the works. Any further aggressiveness will be met by American occupation.

It will never happen and it's likely full of holes, but it's possible that under this policy that within two or three generations most of the hate in the region will have evaporated and the two states can co-exist.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

and intervention in the world begins. iraq and isreal both. . .let's rock!
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I say withdraw totally from the Middle East, and start buying oil from Russia instead of OPEC.

That probably couldn't work, but that's what is most palatable to me right now.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

The truth is, and the Israelis admit this as well as some of the Arabs I talked with, that a solution must be imposed on them from the outside to make peace work. Both sides have too much pride and vengeance wrapped up in this now to step down: the first side that de-escalates, at this point, is seen as the "loser".

If anyone saw my plan posted in the "Darth Wong's Israel Bashing" thread for the setting up of borders for both Israel and Palestine, that's the kind of imposition I'd make....
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

HemlockGrey wrote:
*Immediate disbanding of the PLA, the infinthada and Hamas, etc.
*American soldiers will be deployed to set up a democratic government. Any member of the PLA, Hamas, or supporter of Arafat will be barred from running for election.
Thats democratic how? What if people want to vote for Arafat or supporters?
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

-smiles slightly- dont you know about the democracy of the firearm?
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

My plan in the "Israel Bashing" thread that I mentioned...

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... &start=105

If only we could...
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

[kurtz]Drop the Bomb ... Exterminate them all![/kurtz]

well... it would solve the problems.

bring up a huge pile of new ones though.

J/K :!:
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Thats democratic how? What if people want to vote for Arafat or supporters?
Arafat is a terrorist. He is incapable of controlling the gov't. It is not full democracy at once, I understand, but in order to keep the gov't working smoothy(and as a token concession to Israel), he cannot be running the show.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Arafat's a despicable man. But then again so is Ariel Sharon, what with his involvement with that massacre in Lebanon in 1982.

Arafat won't last much longer ... but even with both of these two old farts gone the bloodshed will go on and on and on and on and on.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
papachulo10
Redshirt

YUP.

Post by papachulo10 »

Indeed, Arafat is no more than a criminal.
The palestinians also must stop the suicide bombings against civilians. I mean damnit, if they want a good time why don't they try to blow themselves up next to a Merkva or something. Why the heck to they need to go to a crowded cafe.
"What we do now, echos through eternity"
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Re: YUP.

Post by Vympel »

papachulo10 wrote:Indeed, Arafat is no more than a criminal.
The palestinians also must stop the suicide bombings against civilians. I mean damnit, if they want a good time why don't they try to blow themselves up next to a Merkva or something. Why the heck to they need to go to a crowded cafe.
I can think of several reasons

- Religious fundies are psychos- especially Islamist ones.

- The piss poor no hope state of the people in the Occupied Territories, and their shitty life leads to desperation. They (especially the youngest generation) don't wanna live anymore so they are more susceptible to this kind of despicable violence. Look at the kids. They throw rocks at tanks out of frustration.

- No weapons to fight the IDF with- Israel gets billions of dollars in US aid and has the most skilled military in the region. This has been shown again and again. The Palestinian guerillas/terrorists/militants have literally nothing- their best weapons are AK-47s. They have no anti-armor weapons of any kind, no support weapons, no artillery, no air support. They have however tried the command-detonated mine trick (Chechens use it on Russians)- they've blown up a few Merkarvas sky high with this- but it ain't exactly effective or very repeatable. Russia caught on to this shit (undisclosed devices to prematurely detonate the mines, better convoy security, skilled engineers), I'm sure Israel can too.
papachulo10
Redshirt

Huh?

Post by papachulo10 »

Do you think the afore mentioned reasons are good enough to kill innocent civilians.

I don't.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

which civilians are you referring to? throwing rocks at a tank yearns for a darwin award.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Admiral Piett
Jedi Knight

Post by Admiral Piett »

Coyote wrote:The truth is, and the Israelis admit this as well as some of the Arabs I talked with, that a solution must be imposed on them from the outside to make peace work.
The last ones who tried that were the british.They came at home in coffins (many of them at least) after a complete failure.
Last edited by Admiral Piett on 2002-12-22 04:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intensify the forward batteries. I don't want anything to get through
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

For a start Arrafat should not be in a position of power in the 1st place. I hate that this is a world where terrorists can rule countries. Any man or woman arrested for terrorist offences should be barred from any election.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
papachulo10
Redshirt

yes indeed.

Post by papachulo10 »

Yes he should be arrested, yet i am not sure his people will give him up.

I mean i am pro israel, yet i must admit that peace is practically the only solution. Not israel destroying the palestininans or the arabs destroying israel, just some sort of peace proposal. This is the problem, neither side wants to admit it though.

So we stand here, on the edge of they abyss. There will prolly be another arab-israli war. The israli will prolly win and the shit will happen all over again.

Something needs to break this cycle.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

If nothing is preventing the Palestinians from fleeing Israeli territory, they should move and start their own state elsewhere. Israel is the size of Conneticut, it's not like the Trail of Tears. Also, get rid of Arafat and have somone else lead the Palestinians.

If Israel give up lands to Palestine, Israelis will probably fight to get it back, or Palestinians will try to get the rest of Israel.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
papachulo10
Redshirt

What i am saying.

Post by papachulo10 »

All i am saying is that the Isralis were given the land by the UN (spearheaded by the US i think). OK whether or not that is a right decision is another story. The isralies were attacked in 48, in the 60's, and the 70's, and they kicked the ass of every darn country around them. So in my opionion israel has the right to stay there.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Re: Huh?

Post by Vympel »

papachulo10 wrote:Do you think the afore mentioned reasons are good enough to kill innocent civilians.

I don't.
Where did I say they were good reasons?
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Enforcer Talen wrote:which civilians are you referring to? throwing rocks at a tank yearns for a darwin award.
No, the psycho who shoots a rock throwing kid deserves to be put up against the wall for death by firing squad.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

NecronLord wrote:[kurtz]Drop the Bomb ... Exterminate them all![/kurtz]

well... it would solve the problems.

bring up a huge pile of new ones though.

J/K :!:
Ahh, we could live with a big cloud of radioactive fallout drifting around the world for a while. And sure deploying that much nuclear tonnage would undoubtedly set off World War Three, but just think . . . after we're done blowing each other up, there'll be peace for a loooong time. Well, at least until the population recovers.