College Football 2006

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Georgia Tech over Notre Dame seems to be the "upset of the week" pick.

Living in Southern California, we have yet to escape the USC fellatio of the last few years. And why the hell is Reggie Bush in EA's NCAA Football '07? Hello, he's a pro now! Let it frickin' die already.

I'm a Notre Dame fan, and while I'm happy for them and their high position in the opening poll, I have to agree that a reasonable shot at a national title is probably two years away. Charlie Weis looks like he's going to be a kick-ass recruiter and he's already brought in one of the best recruiting classes Notre Dame has seen in quite awhile, but the defense just looks too susceptible to giving up huge chunks of yardage. What I really want to see is a bowl victory after eight consecutive bowl losses. One step at a time, I say.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I actually like Charlie Weis a bit and I think he's potentially a great coach, but the fact that we went through this same exercise not four years ago with Ty Willingham grates on me severely. And Willingham had a better first year!

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

GO HOKIES!!!!!!

That is all.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

But Notre Dame has A LOT of guys back. Brady Quinn is back, Darius Walker is back, Jeff Samardzija is back, Chinedum Ndukwe is back, Tommy Zbikowski is back. This wasn't the case in the Willingham years.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The "CoalBowl" between WVU & Marshall University is being shown on ESPNplus. The game's just started. In a few hours I'll post the final score. So far, Marshall's the underdogs and WVU is expected to walk all over them.

I'm not going to say Marshall will win. I will hope that we give a good showing :-D

And on the Kickoff: Marshall received, and after the kick WVU's #54 was called on a Personal Foul. 15yrd penalty, 1st Down Marshall.

First play by Marshall: PERSONAL Foul, 5yrd penalty, Marshall.

Maybe this game will be won on fouls? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Matthew Stafford is the guy at UGA...in two minutes he did it all. He ran, he handed off, he made impossible passes to second-stringers...he has it all. In about 4 minutes of gametime he showed more poise and skill than both of the guys above him on the depth chart.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

End of 1st quarter: WVU 14, Marshall 0
Half-Time: WVU 28, Marshal 7 Two coaches challenges, 35 fouls over 100yds in penalties. :roll: :twisted:

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Roll Tide Roll!

Post by jegs2 »

Roll Tide!

Bama beat the Warriors of Hawaii 25 to 10 today, and the SEC is looking good so far!
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Ok, I don't have any fingernails left after that Notre Dame game. But I guess a win is a win.

Who else thinks Cal was overrated? Or was Tennesee underestimated? And Montana State over Colorado? WTF? Besides Cal and Colorado, I wasn't really surprised by any of today's results. Ohio State and Texas looked pretty good to me, I can't wait until they clash next week. And USC looks like they may have enough talent to roll through the soft Pac-10.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Well, we just snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

GT should have had that game. Notre Dame is indeed vastly overrated, and that was not the performance of a Top 5 team. My examination of the game:

Issue One: Morale

Georgia Tech is too morale-based as a team. It is perhaps a result of a lack of discipline. Sure, we pull upsets quite often, but only when we're predicted to get smashed by everyone. Too many people predicted that we were going to win, which we would have had everyone said that we were going to lose. The team didn't have that edge that they get from a prediction of suckiness. That said, without the morale problem the predictions of winning would have been correct, because we would have won.

Issue Two: Reggie Ball

Alright, I'll say it. Reggie is as dumb as a brick. There. I said it. One of his profs had him on speed dial and on test days screamed into his phone, "WAKE UP YOU DUMBSHIT! THERE'S A TEST TODAY! GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE!" He's dumb.

Issue Three: Pass Defense

We really, really need to work on that pass defense. Opponents can always slip by and convert third downs by passing. It's getting very old and annoying. I'm tired of death by a thousand paper cuts.

Issue Four: Sloppiness

Again, death of a thousand paper cuts. It's all those little things, like always fucking up when we take a time out for a major play, not being able to carry the momentum over first downs, stuff like that. I would add another specific item, but it's become a pet peeve of mine, so it'll get the last issue.

Issue Five: the "special" team

Every time we punt the ball, the other team should not be able to go ffifty yards. On occasion, sure, since there are such things as luck and talent and slippery grass. Not every time. Learn to tackle. You tackle like me, and I'm a legally blind 5'3 small-built half Asian girl. Seriously, stop sucking.

I can't do much about the latter four issues, but on the off-chance that someone actually reads this post, I can try to do something about the first. And I say this because I really want us to do well and win and have the RATs all have good scores on their caps:

YOU PEOPLE SUCK! YOU'RE GOING TO GET RUN OVER ALL YEAR BY EVERY TEAM THAT YOU FACE! YOU'RE GOING TO GET SMASHED LIKE A FRAT BOY ON A FRIDAY! IT'LL BE 51-7 GAMES FOR NOW ON, AND YOU WON'T BE THE 51!

So get pissed off and win now. And Notre Dame is still overrated.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I think the biggest difference in the teams was depth, actually. Notre Dame simply has a bigger bag of tools to work with. They played pretty sloppy too, penalties killed a lot of points.
YOU PEOPLE SUCK! YOU'RE GOING TO GET RUN OVER ALL YEAR BY EVERY TEAM THAT YOU FACE! YOU'RE GOING TO GET SMASHED LIKE A FRAT BOY ON A FRIDAY! IT'LL BE 51-7 GAMES FOR NOW ON, AND YOU WON'T BE THE 51!
I know how it feels to lose a game like that, but I think you're being harsh, and this is coming from someone who wishes the team nothing but failure. The run defense was fantastic, the pass defense did well considering how well Notre Dame throws the ball (it could have been a LOT worse, and it will be a lot worse for other teams) - holding a Charlie Weis offense with a Heisman-level QB to only 380 yards and two touchdowns is absolutely nothing to scoff at.

Yes there are offensive problems, but hey, welcome to Georgia Tech football under Gailey. Except Johnson, who is clearly The Truth.

Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

What was with that play calling?

The defense played pretty well, the pass defense was actually better than the opener against Auburn (no huge missed tackles by the secondary.)

But the offense was just terrible, against a rather poor defense of Notre Dame. I see now reason why this shouldn't have been a multi touchdown Georgia Tech victory.

Now ND is the best offense we'll face this year (except maybe Clemson) but we will face several better defenses than NDs this year. All the ACC teams (except UNC and Duke) + UGA. If we can't start scoring more than 10 points a game, we won't go far.

Now we have two "preseason type" games, I really want a 180 degree improvement in the offense in the next two games, so we can be ready to beat UVA when they come to ATL.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Will we be able to safely necro this thread next week? Oh, wait, Miami v. FSU is monday. That's usually a good one.

It pains me to say this, but I really think that Notre Dame could get away with playing an easier schedule. I know they aren't in a conference, and they have the tradition of playing a tough schedule, but nowadays there isn't much incentive in playing a tough schedule, conference or no. Everyone was predicting Georgia Tech was going to be a tough game(a lot predicted a GT win), and they barely dodged a potential landmine in what many are expecting to be a banner year for them. I think they would have lost if that Calvin Johnson catch hadn't been ruled incomplete on the replay. They should leave a few "tradition games" on the schedule, like Michigan and USC. I keep thinking about what Adam Sandler said in The Longest Yard about how the first game needs to be a "tuneup game" against a crappy opponent so they can "kick the shit out of them and get their confidence up". GT is not a "tuneup game". Whatever happened to the good 'ol days of opening the season against BYU? (wait a minute...)

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Hey! Arizona opened the season agains BYU. :lol:

Only won it in the last few seconds with a field goal.

They've given me some hope that they will surprise some people in the Pac 10 this year but I'm not expecting anything spectacular.

========

Iowa had an easy time of it against IAA Montana. :roll: Now there is what you call a tuneup game.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Definately disappointed that GT couldn't pull off the upset. They seemed on the edge the whole time, but they lost fair and square.

Congrats to Michigan on their first win of the season. Sloppy receiving was more than made up for by the 150 yards pounded on the ground by MVP tailback Mike Hart. The defense dominated Vandy, which was refreshing after the way we've been run roughshod over by even mildy threatening offenses these last two years.

OSU vs. Texas next week; my calender is definately circled for this clash of the titans. My pick and rooting interests lie with Texas.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

I think Notre Dame played pretty well for a first game of the year. After all, there are no scrimmages in college football, so the Irish had a precision based offense playing against another team for the first time, in a hostile environment. They did all right.

The defense played excellently, and Chinedum Ndukwe especially showed a vast improvement from last year. Rema McKnight played well in his first game back, and Tom Zbikowski was as dangerous as ever. What has always impressed me about him is that he makes tackles at the line of scrimmage without getting beat deep.

Georgia Tech looked pretty good, and Calvin Johnson is a heckuva receiver. The game itself was very, very different from what I expected. Most people expected a shootout, but a defensive struggle resulted.

I have to say, however, that the announcing crew was very, very poor, particularly Bob Davies. The constant comments on Georgia Tech getting tired were pretty bothersome. My high school team's two way players don't get tired, Notre Dame's Travis Thomas, a two-way player wasn't tired, why would the one-way players on Georgia Tech be tired?
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

I have to say, however, that the announcing crew was very, very poor, particularly Bob Davies. The constant comments on Georgia Tech getting tired were pretty bothersome. My high school team's two way players don't get tired, Notre Dame's Travis Thomas, a two-way player wasn't tired, why would the one-way players on Georgia Tech be tired?
Dude, players, espescially defensive players get tired in the college game. And it isn't just with Georgia Tech. In the few games that I saw UGA get blown out, it was usually because the defense got tired late in the game.

It's worse in GaTech's case because Tech has a more agressive defense than is usual for College Football (which uses up more energy as a result), doesn't have a tremendous amount of depth at certain positions, and was on the field a long time primarily becauses of poor playcalling by the offensive coaching staff.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Moved to OT as requested.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Travis Thomas played the whole game on defensive, and some offense at Georgia Tech. My high school team had our entire line play 60 minutes. Besides, linebackers don't get tired in the SECOND QUARTER! Fourth Quarter, a real war, that's one thing. I can see a pounding running back simply wearing down a defense, but the Georgia Tech defense was not on the field for an absurd amount of time, and they were midway through the second quarter.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I thought I'd posted, but WVU won 42-10 over Marshall University, even with all the penalties on the field. Hopefully that's just intra-state rivalry, and not something they'll be doing the rest of the season.

Even tho I was rooting for Marshall, I have to say that WVU's got a fantastic offense this year. Steve Staton and Owen Schmidt are fast, tenacious, and if you give them that opening in the defensive line, they're thru it like a greased pig and taking 10yd chunks each run. Staton, tiny at only 5'9 and 190lbs, will spin,shove, and drag his way thru tackles just to get that extra yard of distance. I swear I saw the little guy drag two guys twice his size five yards! He got 203 yards and two touchdowns on 33 carries.
Schmidt is built like a bulldog: 6'3, 200+lbs. You give him the ball, he puts his head down and bullrushes the first hole he sees, knocking guys aside with those wide shoulders.
Patrick White is WVU's returing quarterback, and he's got the moves. He can throw, he can run, and he had little trouble hitting his target despite pulling a muscle in his side during the game.

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Slaton is a monster. An absolutely fearsome running back. I still have nightmares about the Sugar Bowl.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Joe wrote:Slaton is a monster. An absolutely fearsome running back. I still have nightmares about the Sugar Bowl.
He's only getting better. :lol: They're pulling together tighter as a team, and I see why they're ranked as high as they are this year. I might actually follow them this year...

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Wow, that new offensive staff is really working out for Miami, eh? 8)

Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Idle thought... Did anyone catch the ref getting shit on in the ND game? BAM! Water bottle. Pretty much the same act I've wanted to undertake over and over and over again...
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Idle thought... Did anyone catch the ref getting shit on in the ND game? BAM! Water bottle. Pretty much the same act I've wanted to undertake over and over and over again...
I saw that. I couldn't tell if it actually hit him or just landed nearby. I admire him for the way he didn't even react to it and just kept making his call.

FSU v. Miami wasn't too bad, if you like defensive football games. Here's to looking forward to next week. Looks like some good games on the way.