Power Rangers: Forever Red

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

tumbletom
Padawan Learner

Post by tumbletom »

I nearly cryed when the command center blew up. Seriously it sucked.

Also, Power Rangers lost Galaxy had the most freakn awesome intro ever for a power rangers show. I love that intro....Time to go to Youtube! :P
keep on tumblin, just keep tumblin

TUMBLE ON MY FRIENDS!!!!

"And the trogdor comes in the night...."
"Not this night he doesn"t!!!....um Come in the night!!!um... Trogdor!!!"

-Vin Diesel was the person screaming when Boba Fett died.
-Vin Diesel will grant you three wishes if you can guess Yoda's last name.
-Vin Diesel is the only one to use all 2 gigabytes of Gmail space.
-Vin Diesel is Darth Vader's father.
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

OK, I'll admit it. I'm a fan. Still am.
Yay! Knew my pimping of PR would pay off eventually! :D

Well, again, anyway....
I'm definately not part of (and have even been opposed to) those certain moronic elements of the PR community that Faqa briefly mentioned. For those of you who don't know, imagine the thick-headed VIP asskissing fans at theforce.net, and add an apparent lack of emotional/mental development. It really seems that a lot of these older PR fans are idiot man children who watch the show as if they're a part of its intended target audience.
To me, at least, the major annoyance is the teen fanbase. Little pseudo-macho shits who think the show and the world revolve around them. But, yeah. That and the community's ability to flame relentlessly over utterly stupid shit.
I've watched every season since the first (although I've fallen WAY behind on the current season, and still have to catch up one of these weekends in several marathon viewings), and believe me, MMPR is NOT the best one, despite the nostalgia around it. I reccommend Power Rangers in Space, Lost Galaxy, and Dino Thunder (the 2004 series where Tommy comes back).
You forgot Time Force... :) Most drama PR's ever managed to pack into a season. The current season's not half-bad either. Even if the premise was ripped from generic-fantasy-land.
The last two Rangers (from the 2001 Time Force season) were members of a quasi-law enforcement organization. Apparently, Bhaumik had intended for Jason to have turned punk (evidenced by his badass motorcycle entrance, supposedly) over the unseen years, and to have had a run-in with the law and a confrontation with the Time Force guys before.
WTF?!

I knew he intended a Silver Guardian encounter, but I always thought it was more along the lines of time-traveling back to the MMPR era or something.

I value Forever Red for another reason - it gave us something intellectual to fight over. Ironing out the whole "How Jason got his powers back" mess. One the few pieces of continuity comprehensible enough to argue.
The episode of which you refer sounds like "Green No More" and I liked that whole arc in the second season because, well, it was an actual arc in the Power Rangers. And it had started in the first season as well ("The Green Candle" and then "Return of an Old Friend"). I liked that a lot.
My thought, too, but no. The Dragonzord takes a beating in that two-parter, but Tommy's collapse isn't until way after the monster conveniently leaves.

Green Candle, maybe? ZyuRanger(the Japanese MMPR) made a big deal of that plotline, maybe the whole collapse thing was in the footage.
I'm still hoping they eventually get MMPR season set DVDs. There were some good stories in there.
*snorts politely*

No frickin chance. As I keep telling you, DL them from Bittorrent, that's the best you're gonna get.
Also, Power Rangers lost Galaxy had the most freakn awesome intro ever for a power rangers show.
Good, but not the best. That honor goes to SPD(the theme, ironically, was composed by Ron Wasserman, composer of the original MMPR theme) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyWeXnaANeQ
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Let's not forget that there was once a Toadzord. A mighty, mighty Toadzord. :lol:
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

Let's not forget that there was once a Toadzord. A mighty, mighty Toadzord
*glares*

It was a FROG.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Tomato, tomoto. :P

I wonder if you'd trip out if you licked it? :D
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

What's really funny is that I found two weeks ago, at Goodwill, for 1.99 USD...

...a fully transforming set of Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad mechazoid figures, all parts still with them.

For those not in the know, SSSS was a short-lived knock-off series made by the same company that made MMPR, a few months after the original became popular. Somehow, it managed to be even more comically bad than the original, and I consider myself lucky to have found a practically unused set of toys from a now insanely obscure series that had surely been discontinued for several years.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

As for myself, I watch the show partly because I liked it as a kid, and partly because (believe it or not) it has grown up over the years. In its better episodes PR is on par with syndicated action shows, and like the DCAU, older audiences can watch it without feeling too stupid (although the show still isn't on the maturity level of the DCAU). I've watched every season since the first (although I've fallen WAY behind on the current season, and still have to catch up one of these weekends in several marathon viewings), and believe me, MMPR is NOT the best one, despite the nostalgia around it. I reccommend Power Rangers in Space, Lost Galaxy, and Dino Thunder (the 2004 series where Tommy comes back).
yeah, MMPR, the original serias was defintely the best, I did like the Zeo season, when they started to put in Huge arcs and long storylines, the fact the it was the last season to contiune on from the original also made it good. never got to like the newer spinoffs, which simply don't have that level of connected seasons.
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Heh...i didnt know there are actually fans of Power Rangers here. I've been watching that show since it first started and i still do. Not all the seasons were great though--Turbo was the worst IMO, and Time Force was rather crappy, SPD was ok but not great.

Personally i enjoyed In Space and Lost Galaxy more than any of the rest. If only cause the mecha looked so cool...Forever Red was a really great episode, it was like someone decided to write the most awesome fight scene ever but, finding it lasted about thirty minuets, decided to just slap a story around it and call it 'Forever Red'.

Interestingly i also watched Superhuman Samuai Syber Squad...which was TERRIBLE...but the toys and mecha looked kick ass so i managed to weather through it. I own pretty much all the toys for that single reason.
Kanye West Saves.

DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Red Ranger?

RED RANGER?!
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:Heh...i didnt know there are actually fans of Power Rangers here. I've been watching that show since it first started and i still do. Not all the seasons were great though--Turbo was the worst IMO, and Time Force was rather crappy, SPD was ok but not great.
Almost everyone likes it, but nobody admits it.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

SPD looked interesting. The concept of a Power Ranger police force was neat.

There was also another series where the lead ranger came close to killing the big bad to avenge his dead parents.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

You know, if they released just the first series of MMPR on DVD as a season set(s), I might seriously buy it. I've got some damn fond memories of that first series...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Yeah, the pre-1994 stuff, with the original cast before it changed. I didn't watch it after that.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

I watched it from the begining i was 10 when it came out and actually by 6 year old brother at the time got me into it. Good Times good Times

the 2 of us watched it until the got rid of the 2nd group of kids, for some reason that Billy guy stuck around for like 5 more seasons. But the last episodes i remember watching was the ones that the bullies get turned into monkeys and the aliens have to come to Earth and take the Power Rangers Powers from Zordon because the real teens forgot who the hell they were and didnt have their powers. Any help on what season that was would be hot
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

Oni Koneko Damien wrote:What's really funny is that I found two weeks ago, at Goodwill, for 1.99 USD...

...a fully transforming set of Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad mechazoid figures, all parts still with them.

For those not in the know, SSSS was a short-lived knock-off series made by the same company that made MMPR, a few months after the original became popular. Somehow, it managed to be even more comically bad than the original, and I consider myself lucky to have found a practically unused set of toys from a now insanely obscure series that had surely been discontinued for several years.
talking about the spinoff merchandise, i still have a VHS of the even more crappy VR Troopers. lol the memories
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

the 2 of us watched it until the got rid of the 2nd group of kids, for some reason that Billy guy stuck around for like 5 more seasons. But the last episodes i remember watching was the ones that the bullies get turned into monkeys and the aliens have to come to Earth and take the Power Rangers Powers from Zordon because the real teens forgot who the hell they were and didnt have their powers. Any help on what season that was would be hot
You seem to be confusing two seasons.

The bullies got turned into monkeys in Power Rangers Turbo.

The rest of what you're describing sounds more like Mighty Morphin Season 3(the Alien Ranger saga).

And Billy, altogether, was around for FOUR seasons - three as a Ranger, one as techie.
There was also another series where the lead ranger came close to killing the big bad to avenge his dead parents.
Power Rangers Wild Force, I think. Series Forever Red was in.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

I watched the series for a while from the beginning. Had a few gaps then stopped watching when Mondo shows up.
Which brings up a problem with Forever Red. When Mondo turns up, Zed and co jump into Serpinterra and run off to Master Vile, he doesn't hide it on the moon.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

*shrugs*

Rita and Zedd came back in the In Space finale, no Master Vile to be seen. So obviously they went SOMEWHERE else in that time. Why not the moon?

Assuming we accept that pissant little shit-Zord as the mighty planet-blowing Serpenterra......

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Faqa wrote: Assuming we accept that pissant little shit-Zord as the mighty planet-blowing Serpenterra......
Isn't it obvious. Vile got pig sick of the constant arguing and nagging so through them out of his house, meaning they had to canabalise Serpinterra to build themselves a new house.

What we saw is what was left over.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Faqa wrote:Rita and Zedd came back in the In Space finale, no Master Vile to be seen. So obviously they went SOMEWHERE else in that time. Why not the moon?
They also appeared in the PRiS pilot (as part of Dark Specter's summoning) after having been absent since their cameo in Turbo: A Power Rangers movie. Though there's no on-screen evidence to support it, I've speculated with a few fellow fans from the old days that Zedd and Rita spent the year between the Turbo film and PRiS checking in on Zedd's holding (as Zedd had devoted three years of resources and attention into conquering one measley little planet, rebellions could easily have sprung up).
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Which was the ranger series that had the large amounts of SST armor?
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

faqa wrote:
The episode of which you refer sounds like "Green No More" and I liked that whole arc in the second season because, well, it was an actual arc in the Power Rangers. And it had started in the first season as well ("The Green Candle" and then "Return of an Old Friend"). I liked that a lot.
My thought, too, but no. The Dragonzord takes a beating in that two-parter, but Tommy's collapse isn't until way after the monster conveniently leaves.

Green Candle, maybe? ZyuRanger(the Japanese MMPR) made a big deal of that plotline, maybe the whole collapse thing was in the footage.
In the original Zyuranger, the green ranger (then Rita's son), was actually dying, as that candle was his life. So, yes, the shots of him collapsing are him literally fighting until his life burned out to aid the rangers.
Later PR uses of the Zord and the GR were mostly spliced shots from earlier in Zyurangers.

Y'know what the scariest thing about PR is for me? For all its camp, it's more serious (well, on the whole, anyways) than the original japanese series.
Hades
Jedi Knight

Post by Hades »

For those that love Nostalgia especially about Tommy (MMPR Green and white ranger) they should also check out the Power rangers:Dino thunder season from a couple of years back.

It Had Tommy back as a main character for the entire season, as the mentor to three new rangers and eventually becoming the Black ranger.

It had two particularly nostaligic episodes. One where the three latest rangers found a file Tommy had compliled on the history of teh power rangers. This was basically a flashback episode. Then in another episode Tommy is in a comma and the only way out of it is by fighting the green ranger, white ranger and Red Zeo ranger versions of himself.
If at first you dont succeed.... destroy all evidence you ever tried
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Hades wrote:For those that love Nostalgia especially about Tommy (MMPR Green and white ranger) they should also check out the Power rangers:Dino thunder season from a couple of years back.

It Had Tommy back as a main character for the entire season, as the mentor to three new rangers and eventually becoming the Black ranger.

It had two particularly nostaligic episodes. One where the three latest rangers found a file Tommy had compliled on the history of teh power rangers. This was basically a flashback episode. Then in another episode Tommy is in a comma and the only way out of it is by fighting the green ranger, white ranger and Red Zeo ranger versions of himself.
I do believe we mentioned this already. :P

The best part for me is when he first gets his powers, he makes the comment that he has to go buy some black clothes for his wardrobe. :lol:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Hades
Jedi Knight

Post by Hades »

didnt realise it had already been mentiond. didnt read the whole thread.
If at first you dont succeed.... destroy all evidence you ever tried