Power Rangers: Forever Red

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

We interrupt this thread to bring you the very appropiately titled...
The First, The Best.... period]
Y'know what the scariest thing about PR is for me? For all its camp, it's more serious (well, on the whole, anyways) than the original japanese series.
PR went downhill as it STOPPED being serious. Wasn't until In Space that it seemed to realize it.

Look, you can't take yourself completely seriously in such a position. But when you have teens in spandex fighting rubber suits and screaming about it.... well, you sure as hell need to maintain SOME level of seriousness to avoid being a joke.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

RogueIce wrote: The best part for me is when he first gets his powers, he makes the comment that he has to go buy some black clothes for his wardrobe. :lol:
LOL! I missed that part! But that's a great joke on the rangers always wearing something in their 'color'.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

PR went downhill as it STOPPED being serious. Wasn't until In Space that it seemed to realize it.

Look, you can't take yourself completely seriously in such a position. But when you have teens in spandex fighting rubber suits and screaming about it.... well, you sure as hell need to maintain SOME level of seriousness to avoid being a joke
I can see what you mean, once they hit turbo, which removed what serious elements in the show that existed, it became a unwatchable joke, no wonder it was almost canceled, even then I could see Turbo was clearly poor compared to Both MMPR and Zeo.
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

LOL! I missed that part! But that's a great joke on the rangers always wearing something in their 'color
Dino Thunder Red(Conner): Uh, Dr. O? We've got a problem here.

Tommy: Let me guess. A 40-story version of the guy you were just fighting?

Dino Thunder Blue(Ethan): You've done this before, haven't you?

Tommy(dryly): Once or twice.

:lol:
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Faqa wrote:
LOL! I missed that part! But that's a great joke on the rangers always wearing something in their 'color
Dino Thunder Red(Conner): Uh, Dr. O? We've got a problem here.

Tommy: Let me guess. A 40-story version of the guy you were just fighting?

Dino Thunder Blue(Ethan): You've done this before, haven't you?

Tommy(dryly): Once or twice.

:lol:
Oh yes, I did catch that one :lol: It had me giggling maniacally.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ok, I just watched ant it was pretty cool. BUt ehy did they need to unite all the (or most) of the red rangers for this mission? Why did they have to be red? And why could Jason morph. Didn't the power coins get seriously busted? Which is why they had to go all Zeo?
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Because the Red Ranger is the most popular. The whole episode was just fan service. Besides, they can't do a "Forever Yellow" episode, since the original yellow is dead.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

Ok, I just watched ant it was pretty cool. BUt ehy did they need to unite all the (or most) of the red rangers for this mission? Why did they have to be red? And why could Jason morph. Didn't the power coins get seriously busted? Which is why they had to go all Zeo?
I can refer you to at least 3 10-page threads on that question.... :P

In brief, there's two schools of thought:

- Jason used the repaired coin of his successor, Rocky. HOW it was fixed up remains a question, some pointing to Zordon's sacrifice in the In Space finale. Based off the Coins not being TOTALLY trashed(the Ninja coins are, the Dino ones are just junked). We actually saw Adam, Black MMPR Ranger use his for a few seconds in In Space. It burned out quickly, but the possibility remains open.

- When Jason transfered his powers to Rocky, they were not transfered, but rather copied, leaving him with a limited working set of powers. Based mainly off the fact that the 3 departing Rangers in that incident remained morphed(IRL because the actors had quit long since, and they were stuck with splicing footage).

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Jason von Evil wrote:Because the Red Ranger is the most popular. The whole episode was just fan service. Besides, they can't do a "Forever Yellow" episode, since the original yellow is dead.
What?

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

LadyTevar wrote:
Jason von Evil wrote:Because the Red Ranger is the most popular. The whole episode was just fan service. Besides, they can't do a "Forever Yellow" episode, since the original yellow is dead.
What?
Thuy Trang, the girl who played the first Yellow ranger Trini, was killed in a car accident some time ago.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Gandalf wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:
What?
Thuy Trang, the girl who played the first Yellow ranger Trini, was killed in a car accident some time ago.
She wasn't wearing her seatbelt. :(
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

starfury wrote:

Look, you can't take yourself completely seriously in such a position. But when you have teens in spandex fighting rubber suits and screaming about it.... well, you sure as hell need to maintain SOME level of seriousness to avoid being a joke
I can see what you mean, once they hit turbo, which removed what serious elements in the show that existed, it became a unwatchable joke, no wonder it was almost canceled, even then I could see Turbo was clearly poor compared to Both MMPR and Zeo.
Justin the "pre-teen" Ranger (who is so super smart he goes to Angel Grove High early, naturally) certainly didn't help. And then that whole weird thing where he grows a few feet.

I'm guessing that's because, despite Turbo being a campy season over in Sentai as well, they at least were smart enough not to put a kid as a Ranger?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

RogueIce wrote:
starfury wrote:

Justin the "pre-teen" Ranger (who is so super smart he goes to Angel Grove High early, naturally) certainly didn't help. And then that whole weird thing where he grows a few feet.

I'm guessing that's because, despite Turbo being a campy season over in Sentai as well, they at least were smart enough not to put a kid as a Ranger?
Justin's addition wasn't initially an attempt to further appeal to the kids, from what I understand. Steve Cardenas (Rocky) had injured himself during a stunt near the end of Zeo and had to leave the show. As such, his injury was grafted onto Rocky, as seen in Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie and that was when Saban forced Justin upon us.

While this probably was the Jumping the Shark moment, I still think MMPR itself jumped it midway through Season 2 with Zedd's marriage to Rita. While it certainly uped the ante, I didnt' like it as Zedd lost much of his menace and appeal and became more comedic in nature (though he still had its moments; I felt chills down my spine in "Changing of the Zords: Part 2" when Zedd teleported into the Command Center to state his demands in person to the Ranger).
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

While this probably was the Jumping the Shark moment, I still think MMPR itself jumped it midway through Season 2 with Zedd's marriage to Rita. While it certainly uped the ante, I didnt' like it as Zedd lost much of his menace and appeal and became more comedic in nature (though he still had its moments; I felt chills down my spine in "Changing of the Zords: Part 2" when Zedd teleported into the Command Center to state his demands in person to the Ranger).
A bit before, but yeah, same idea. PR got fat and happy, and forgot that it was about spandex-wearing "teenagers with attitude". And that if it didn't take itself seriously, no one else would.

Example, from "The Wedding"(Zedd and Rita's): Rita is able to grab and subdue Alpha(the saucer-head robot), feeding him a disc that turns him to her side. What does she do with this asset inside the Command Center? Have Alpha teleport the Rangers around a little and DRAW A FUCKING MUSTACHE ON ZORDON. :roll:

This from the gal who once sent a Green Ranger into the Command Center that ripped the shit out of it, disabled their teleportation network and nearly killed Zordon. The whole thing perfectly illustrated PR's fall.
No, although CarRanger was essentially a sitcom. One thing Turbo
DID do right was adapt the footage nicely. Besides, the Turbo finale WAS good. Finally, we had the epic battle for the Ranger's base, the villian's victory AND an awesome set-up for the next series.

Turbo did many things right. It's just that it's wrong things were huge.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

For some reason which I cannot comprehend, I've been watching the Dino Thunder series and theres something I just have to know.

Do they ever actually use that damn Brachiozord of Tommy's? All the damn thing does so far is hold the other Zords which is comletely pointless since they don't need it.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

The Brachiozord is rarely ever used for much, besides transporting the other Zord. In the episode "A Star is Torn" (one of my favorite DT episodes), it stores the other Zords and tries to protect them from a powerful enemy, and fires off a few token fireballs as well. It's later part of the usual "ultrazord" type combination.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

I figured it would end up as another Titanus, but when that one was called it was actually used instead of just sitting there. Hell, fucking Torr the Shuttle Zord did more as a singular Zord than his thing has so far.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

It's later part of the usual "ultrazord" type combination.
More correctly, it LAUNCHES the ultrazord. The 3-Megazord Combo rides the neck of the Brachio, launches into the air, and tosses a few axes.

Why yes, I think that's very practical.... :)

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

Hell, fucking Torr the Shuttle Zord did more as a singular Zord than his thing has so far.
Same principle, as you can see.

Yes, though. Titanus rocked as a carrier Zord.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Faqa wrote:Yes, though. Titanus rocked as a carrier Zord.
Aye; too bad we didn't see it again after Season 3's "The Sound of Dischordia".
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Faqa wrote:Yes, though. Titanus rocked as a carrier Zord.
Titanus rocked in general. Hell, his first appearence showed him toying with Green and Red to see if they could rescue an artifact. He'd let thim make a run for it and then blast them with his breath weapon to send them rolling back down the mountain.

Real personality, that. :D
JADAFETWA
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

How big was the Titanus toy? I'm fairly certain it wasn't anywhere as huge as Zed's big serpent ship.

I've still got that fucker- he's about two, two and a half feet vertical, and if you're measuring the tail, that's an extra foot and a half.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:How big was the Titanus toy? I'm fairly certain it wasn't anywhere as huge as Zed's big serpent ship.

I've still got that fucker- he's about two, two and a half feet vertical, and if you're measuring the tail, that's an extra foot and a half.
He was big, I think the toy's body was a good foot long, since he had to be big enough to make the Ultrazord and the Mega and Dragonzord's weren't small either.

And yeah, Serpentus was a freakin big toy. Never managed to get my paws on that one though.
JADAFETWA
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Kuja wrote:And yeah, Serpentus was a freakin big toy.
Serpentara. 8)

Anyways, as for its size, I've thought in recent years that Lord Zedd was trying to compensate for something, if you know what I mean... :wink: 8)
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I ought to take a picture of Serpentara putting the ownage on Unicron. :P
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.