Power Rangers: Forever Red

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

JME2 wrote:
Kuja wrote:And yeah, Serpentus was a freakin big toy.
Serpentara. 8)
Oops -- now I screwed up. It's Serpentera, not Sepentara. My bad... :oops:
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

JME2 wrote:Oops -- now I screwed up. It's Serpentera, not Sepentara. My bad... :oops:
I remember first seeing that thing in that "prime-time premier movie" thing they did for the opening of MMPR S2. The Thunder Zords went flying by it in sled mode, and Serpentera just completely dwarfed all their Zords.

That thing was freakin' amazing I tell you. I really need to get my hands on all three parts of "The Mutiny" now. :(
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

RogueIce wrote:
JME2 wrote:Oops -- now I screwed up. It's Serpentera, not Sepentara. My bad... :oops:
I remember first seeing that thing in that "prime-time premier movie" thing they did for the opening of MMPR S2. The Thunder Zords went flying by it in sled mode, and Serpentera just completely dwarfed all their Zords.

That thing was freakin' amazing I tell you. I really need to get my hands on all three parts of "The Mutiny" now. :(
Serpentera didn't appear in "The Mutiny" (though it's still a kickass episode; God, I l hate the music of the series, but I loved Zedd's theme); it's first apperance was the two-part "The Power Transfer" (where Rocky, Adam, and Aisha took over full-time as Rangers).

Regardless, both "Mutiny" and "Transfer" are on Youtube; you can find them here and here.
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

I only remembered seeing Serpentera during the time when it went flying over the moon or was it that alien planet, regardless it was awesome seeing it as a massive dragon-like space battleship.
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

To adds, it has been a long time since that time so my memory is kind of fuzzy.
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

JME2 wrote:Serpentera didn't appear in "The Mutiny" (though it's still a kickass episode; God, I l hate the music of the series, but I loved Zedd's theme); it's first apperance was the two-part "The Power Transfer" (where Rocky, Adam, and Aisha took over full-time as Rangers).

Regardless, both "Mutiny" and "Transfer" are on Youtube; you can find them here and here.
I'd swear it was. Wasn't it chasing them into the Command Center at one point?
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

RogueIce wrote: Wasn't it chasing them into the Command Center at one point?
Yeah, in "The Wedding: Part 3".
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

JME2 wrote:
RogueIce wrote: Wasn't it chasing them into the Command Center at one point?
Yeah, in "The Wedding: Part 3".
Ah. Well there you go.

You know what would solve all this? Power Rangers season sets. :D

YouTube is nice, but it's not the same as a DVD.

DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Serpentera....

The biggest, baddest zord ever made. Capable of destroying planets, dwarfing all other zords in it's path.

Made it's appearence during the power transfer two parter, made several other showings, and always ran out of juice afterit started really getting good.....

Though youhave to love the dragonzord, and it's trashing of Angel Grove habor everytime Tommy summoned it...

I would have hated to own property in that place...imagine your insurance rates!
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Jason von Evil wrote:I remember this one scene from an episode where Tommy was losing his powers. He had just finished fighting a tough battle, he was injured and his powers were starting to fade. Still, the other rangers were in trouble and needed the Dragonzord. So while playing against a hill, he pulls the dagger up to his mouth and starts playing the tune. His powers are so weak at this point that he has to play it several times. I think at some point, he actually pulled himself to his feet and continued to play it. Finally, the Dragonzord rises out of the water and the day is saved.

The reason why I remember the scene is because it was really well done. Each time he played the tune, I remember emphasis being put on each time. It was pretty dramatic because I think this was Tommy's last ride as the Green Ranger. IIRC, after the battle, DZ went back into the water and Tommy's Green Ranger costume faded, but not the dagger.
This indeed happen in "The Green Candle" which had some of the most "dramatic" of the Dragon flute tunes played.

Also of note is Zack's line "If we don't get to him [Tommy] in time, he'll lose his life!" which is a direct refrence to a Ranger dying, rather than being "destroyed" (it was also rather well delivered by Walter Jones). There is also some very nice music, including a nice emotional bit when Tommy gives away the coin, and also some good music at the end when Kim meets Tommy in the park (that was a very beautiful park, as well).

"The Green Candle" really does rank up there as one of the strongest episodes (both parts) of the MMPR era, IMO.

Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

"The Green Candle" really does rank up there as one of the strongest episodes (both parts) of the MMPR era, IMO.
The good guys LOST. That's reason enough for it to be good.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

DarkSilver wrote:Though youhave to love the dragonzord, and it's trashing of Angel Grove habor everytime Tommy summoned it...

I would have hated to own property in that place...imagine your insurance rates!
As I recall, the only times it actively trashed the harbor were the couple of times he summoned it while he was fighting for the bad guys. Otherwise it was pretty careful about crawling out of the water.

Of course that would all go out the window when the actual fight started. :D
JADAFETWA
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

What do you think the rent was like on those skyscrapers? And just how many people did Tommy kill?
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Lost Soal wrote:What do you think the rent was like on those skyscrapers? And just how many people did Tommy kill?
Obviously no one was there, because the attacks always happened on the weekends.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I think I have to blame this thread for me watching most of PRDT on YouTube. Damn thread.

Anyhow Tommy's clothes line would have been funnier of he hadn't been wearing black a lot in the preceeding five episodes. Personally I would have have him wearing green to show he most identified with being the green ranger.

And that brachiozord is a giant worthless heap of junk.

Though I quite enjoyed it a a source extremely light entertainment, they culd have handled Tommy better. Especially when they had the evil rangers running around.

In my eyes Tommy should be alot more reluctant to become a new ranger, which would manifest as problems with his abillities when a dino gem bonds with him. (becuase those things are psychic) Finally He'd shove it a morpher and try to use it but then it would explode. Leading to "Fighting Spirit" at the end of which he would become the new black ranger for good. Instead of just gaining "super Dino mode." Which frankly sucks.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Crazedwraith wrote:I think I have to blame this thread for me watching most of PRDT on YouTube. Damn thread.
Snap!
Except I've gone through all of Dino and am now working my way through Zeo. In addition to the Brachiozord, my main problems were with the dino powers. Tommys were never used and Connor forgot his existed when the White Ranger started hitting them with speed.

And now I'm wondering how much of the Rangers footage from this, and the earlier series, is the Japanese stock and what is original film stock for the English version.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

In addition to the Brachiozord, my main problems were with the dino powers. Tommys were never used and Connor forgot his existed when the White Ranger started hitting them with speed.
How useful IS invisibility in fighting rubber suits? Especially considering you can't seem to use the Dino powers while morphed(or, as you say, Trent's speed attack would've been worthless).
And now I'm wondering how much of the Rangers footage from this, and the earlier series, is the Japanese stock and what is original film stock for the English version.
The big green guys? The Tyrannodrones? EVERY fight with them is original. Mesogog and Elsa are also original.

All the Zord footage is Japanese, take that as a PR rule. For fight scenes, check the wire-use. Excessive wires typically = American footage. Japan isn't caught up with that. The flashier the footage is, the better a chance it's American.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

I've noticed that you can distinguish between the quality of the Japanese footage and the American/New Zealand footage. If it looks a bit "older" then it's likely Japanese. Have you noticed this too, Faqa?
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

I've noticed that you can distinguish between the quality of the Japanese footage and the American/New Zealand footage. If it looks a bit "older" then it's likely Japanese
I wouldn't rely on that for very long. It's still noticeable, but becoming less and less so. I imagine that by Overdrive, it'll be gone.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Faqa wrote:
I've noticed that you can distinguish between the quality of the Japanese footage and the American/New Zealand footage. If it looks a bit "older" then it's likely Japanese
I wouldn't rely on that for very long. It's still noticeable, but becoming less and less so. I imagine that by Overdrive, it'll be gone.
You can probably try fighting styles and ability. I'm watching Zeo now and in a lot of scenes the Green Ranger fights completely differently from Adam, and I seriously doubt they deliberately told him to fight differently.

Ivanova is always right.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Lost Soal wrote:
You can probably try fighting styles and ability. I'm watching Zeo now and in a lot of scenes the Green Ranger fights completely differently from Adam, and I seriously doubt they deliberately told him to fight differently.
:D Ever seen "Day of the Dumpter"? Billy can't fight the putties at all and then when he's morphed he sudenly fluent in kung-fu.
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

Ever seen "Day of the Dumpter"? Billy can't fight the putties at all and then when he's morphed he sudenly fluent in kung-fu
Be fair, he managed to make two putties slam into each other. What I found hilarious was that he yelled "Wait!" to put his glasses in his pocket during that fight.

Ranger powers make you a l33t Ninj@ mast3r. This is known.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Thats one of the reasons I wonder whos footage is being used. The fact is even when they are fighting properly some of the actors the shows had clearly can't fight. David Yost was a Gymnist, not martial artist, and he says he had 2 months training prior to starting. Thats not going to give him the standards that Blue Ranger was fighting to.

Ivanova is always right.