NFL Football Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Pay Roy Williams no mind. He's just a slightly upgraded version of Mike Williams, who's a slightly upgraded version of Charles Rogers. Which is to say: a jackass with a penchant for the circus-grab and not much else. Our wealth of high end WR draft-picks will eventually all go the way of the dinosaur, and I for one welcome the change.

The Bears will, of course, waste little effort in tearing the Lions a brand new asshole.

EDIT: Additionally, Elfdart, Jags over Steelers? That's a pretty ballsy pick; I know I wouldn't touch that. I imagine the pick is transient, based on whether it's Roethlisberger or Batch, but either way I'll stick with the Steelers and their ground attack.

Furthermore, I forgot to mention last week that Favre is old (really old)--extremely old--and no longer has any goddamn excuse to be in professional football.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

My predictions:

Buffalo at Miami:

Hate to say it, Cairber, but Buffalo has no offense. The defense could give Miami trouble, but the Bills are going to have problems scoring all year. Barring defensive scoring, Miami wins.

Prediction: Miami
------------
Carolina at Minnesota

Carolina is better than it looked last week and can't afford an 0-2 start. Minnesota, meanwhile, is coming off a win against a Washington team that looks like it just can't score. I'm tempted to pick Minnesota at home, but I'll take the Panthers based on desparation.

Prediction: Carolina
------------
Cleveland at Cincinnati

The Bengals are a legitimate NFL team (and as a football fan who cam of age in the 90s, that's still really weird to say). The Browns aren't. Unlike Elfdart, I don't even see any upset potential, bulletin board material or no bulletin board material.

Prediction: Cincinatti
------------
Detroit at Chicago

Another road defensive battle for the Lions, and another loss. There's upset potential here, but I haven't seen enough out of Detroit to call one.

Prediction: Detroit
------------
Houston at Indianapolis

Yeah, right.

Prediction: Indianapolis
------------
New Orleans at Green Bay

I don't think Green Bay has a chance this year, and New Orleans needs this win because it has a tough schedule ahead. But at Lambeau, with a rookie head coach and a rookie running back who's now looking down the barrel of a Federal investigation and Brett Farve trying to prove last week was a fluke, Green Bay shows a little life. Enjoy it while you can, Packers fans.

Prediction: Green Bay
------------
N.Y. Giants at Philadelphia

I hope I'm wrong on this one. These are two closely matched teams and the game could go either way, but New York cannot afford to go 0-2 to start the season with a game at Seattle next week. Not in this division. The Birds are trying to prove they're better than last year and they can beat more than junior varsity teams like the Texans, but the Giants are in a worse situation.

Prediction: New York
------------
Oakland at Baltimore

A contender for the Super Bowl plays at home against a contender for the first pick in the draft next year. Unless Steve McNair breaks his leg, this is all Ravens.

Prediction: Baltimore
------------
Tampa Bay at Atlanta

The championship team has been slowly rotting away for the last several years. I think it's about time for it to fall apart completely. Atlanta has a shot at going two up on a division rival early and sending Tampa into a tailspin. After last week's impressive performance on both sides of the ball against a good Carolina team, they do so.

Prediction: Atlanta
------------
Arizona at Seattle

Is it the beginning of a new era for the Cardinals? Too soon to tell, and this week won't have any answers. I don't think Seattle's defense is as good as it looked last week, but it's better than San Francisco's and will keep Arizona from putting up gaudy numbers again. Meanwhile, the offense will abuse an Arizona defense that made San Francisco look good.

Prediction: Seattle
------------
St. Louis at San Francisco

I've never believed in the Rams. And I never will. But they're better than the Niners.

Prediction: St. Louis
------------
Kansas City at Denver

Kansas City is coming to pieces and has to go into Mile High to play a Denver team that needs a win.

Prediction: Denver
------------
New England at N.Y. Jets

My upset pick for the week. New England really looked shoddy last week and the Jets are at home with a win under their belts--a win against Tennessee, but a win nonetheless.

Prediction: New York
------------
Tennessee at San Diego

It's going to be a long, hard season for the Titans. Rebuilding years always suck, but NFL rebuilding years are especially painful. It doesn't help that they're going into San Deigo.

Prediction: San Deigo
------------
Washington at Dallas

Washington can't score, but the defense can make Beldsoe make dumb mistakes. I freely admit this pick may be more hope than logic, since I desparately want to see TO get frustrated and work his locker room magic on the Cowboys.

Prediction: Washington
------------
Pittsburgh at Jacksonville

This should be a pretty good game, but I have to pick the Steelers based on their performance last Thursday.

Prediction: Pittsburgh.
------------
And now, for fun, I'll flip a coin for each game and see how I stack up against it on Tuesday. Heads is the home team, tails is the away team:

Buffalo at Miami: Buffalo
Carolina at Minnesota: Carolina
Cleveland at Cincinnati: Cleveland
Detroit at Chicago: Chicago
Houston at Indianapolis: Houston
New Orleans at Green Bay: New Orleans
N.Y. Giants at Philadelphia: Philadelphia
Oakland at Baltimore: Oakland
Tampa Bay at Atlanta: Tampa Bay
Arizona at Seattle: Arizona
St. Louis at San Francisco: San Francisco
Kansas City at Denver: Kansas City
New England at N.Y. Jets: New England
Tennessee at San Diego: San Deigo
Washington at Dallas: Dallas
Pittsburgh at Jacksonville: Jacksonville
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

Khyron's picks for this week

Buffalo at Miami...Miami

Tampa Bay at Atlanta...Atlanta

Oakland at Baltimore...Baltimore

Giants at Philadelphia...Giants

New Orleans at Green Bay...New Orleans

Houston at Indianapolis...Indianapolis

Detroit at Chicago...Chicago.

Cleveland at Cincinnati...Cincinnati

Carolina at Minnesota...Minnesota

St Louis at San Francisco...St. Louis

Arizona at Seattle...Seattle

New England at NY Jets...New England

Kansas City at Denver...Denver

Tennessee at San Diego...San Diego

Washington at Dallas...Washington

Pittsburgh at Jacksonville...Pittsburgh
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

"You fools! Even with your clone army you must realise... your... picks... are... DOOMED!"

Week 2 predictions. No scores this time.

SUN, SEP 17
Carolina at Minnesota Vikings

Buffalo at Miami Dolphins

NY Giants at Philadelphia Eagles

New Orleans at Green Bay Saints

Houston at Indianapolis Colts

Detroit at Chicago Bears

Cleveland at Cincinnati Bengals

Tampa Bay at Atlanta Falcons

Oakland at Baltimore Ravens

Arizona at Seattle Cardinals

St. Louis at San Francisco 49ers

Tennessee at San Diego Chargers

New England at NY Jets Patriots

Kansas City at Denver Broncos

Washington at Dallas Cowboys

MON, SEP 18
Pittsburgh at Jacksonville Jaguars
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Darth Garden Gnome

Woooo, two Lions fumbles in the FIRST FIVE MINUTES OF THE GAME. Go go Honolulu blue...
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Andy Reid should be in jail, because picking up Donte Stallworth for what we paid New Orleans was theft.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Darth Garden Gnome

RedImperator wrote:Andy Reid should be in jail, because picking up Donte Stallworth for what we paid New Orleans was theft.
Seems to be good at that. TO was a steal from San Francisco, but Stallworth isn't a douchebag so it's even better.

EDIT: Whoa, Rudi Johnson is a beast.
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

The Eagles had an absolute 4th Quarter meltdown today. It's insanity watching this game.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Not only that but now it looks like Kearse might be hurt.

Big Congrats to the Saints, Favre won't make it the rest of the season even though this looks like it was more the fault of the defense. Buffalo proved almost everyone wrong, another game I wish I would have put money on.

The Bears have given up seven points (1 TD) in two weeks, the Raiders have scored six points in two weeks(0 TDs).

LT just missed a pass to Antonio Gates in the endzone that would have been a sure 7. Chargers looking much better than last year.

EDIT/UPDATE:

@ approximately 5:00 ET time Darth Fanboy yelled:

Holy Shit nice catch Plaxico!
Last edited by Darth Fanboy on 2006-09-17 04:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I cannot believe this bullshit. Jesus Christ.
X-Ray Blues
Darth Garden Gnome

Wow, and the kicker is it was Plaxico Burress, one of the least clutch receivers in NFL history...
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Unbelievable. Thanks for handing the game to New York, Donovan.

And that 15-yard penalty.... Gah!
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Wow, and the kicker is it was Plaxico Burress, one of the least clutch receivers in NFL history...
At that point, I was sure the Giants were going to win one way or another. The amount of shit that had to go wrong to get them to that point is astounding. They fumble three times and not only recover all three, they score a touchdown on one of them. Akers misses a field goal in his range. Manning gets sacked 8 times and still throws for a bunch of yards, and completes a pass from his ass when he's knocked down for what was almost sack #9. Stallworth and Lewis both drop perfectly thrown potential first down passes in the fourth quarter, on the same series. Westbrook fumbles. The Eagles are stopped on fourth and short twice. Trent Cole commits that idiotic taunting penalty.

Just totally fucking unbelievable. I picked the Giants to win this one, but not like this. We'd just better go out and cockslap San Fran next week and wash the taste of this one out of everyone's mouth. When you're up 17 against a division rival, you have to win the fucking game. Period.
X-Ray Blues
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

And the Raiders get smacked again. Who's surprised. Baltimore is becoming my dark horse pick for the Superbowl. And yes, I know it's premature.

The Chargers are sticking it to the Titans - that's a pretty good looking team they've got there. As long as L.T. stays healthy, I can see them going a long way.

Go Vikings! I'm still wondering what took them so long to shitcan Mike Tice.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I can see the Chargers going a long way too, but we've only seen them against the Raiders and Titans, not exactly the cream of the AFC crop. With the way KC and Denver look this year, its the Chargers division to lose.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Man, the Chargers are pimp-slapping the Titans. I was actually foolish enough to think that that was going to be a good game. I agree with DF that the AFC west is the Charger's to lose. They play the Ravens in week 4; hopefully that will let us know who is the real deal.

Other than the Eagle game, I wasn't too surprised by anything else happening today, right up to Tampa Bay's punchless offense.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

We might be losing.

But we look decent. :shock:
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

I spoke way too soon then...

But still... I'm optimistic for this year!
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JE---errr nevermind. That amazing rally amounted to nothing. I hate being a Jets fan!

*sobs*
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

NeoGoomba wrote:J-E-T-S JETS JETS JE---errr nevermind. That amazing rally amounted to nothing. I hate being a Jets fan!

*sobs*
Just remember, no matter how bad this year turns out to be, it'll be better than it was with Rich Kotite.

That one thought has kept me warm through oh so many nights.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Unbelievable. Thanks for handing the game to New York, Donovan.

And that 15-yard penalty.... Gah!
I have to ask, since I've heard this from people on WIP, too: how in the world can anyone blame McNabb for this? Did McNabb fumble on his own 30? Did McNabb miss the field goal? Did McNabb drop two sure first downs when the Giants were out of timeouts? Did McNabb commit a 15 yard penalty to give the Giants a chip shot? Did McNabb call three straight passes with 1 yard to go for first down? Did McNabb collapse defensively in the fourth quarter and overtime?

McNabb made a few mistakes, but I find it amazing that a guy who went 27 for 45 for 350 yards, 2 TDs and no INTs is being blamed for a loss. If any one person deserves the blame for this, it's the coach for some bizarre 4th quarter playcalling.
X-Ray Blues
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I've always percieved Reid to be overrated. People i've spoken to point to all those NFC title games and the super bowl appearance as proof of his capability, and I always have thought of it as an inability to win in the big games despite having a wealth of talent.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

And the Bucs get stomped again! :banghead:
At least they scored this week, even if it was just an FG.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

The Niners WON! Incredible. It wasn't a spectacular victory by any means, but we'll take what we can get. Frank Gore needs to stop fumbling, because otherwise he's solid.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

I bailed midway through the 2nd, but the Cowboys were thumping the Redskins - and even then, the Cowboys recievers had dropped a few they should have taken, and the defence has given away some dumb penalties.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson