NFL Football Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

If my NIners keep playing this way I am going to be very happy at the end of the season. It wasn't incredible Ossus, they beat 'em last year too. Gore just need to tighten that grip and we are good to go!

Oh... the Raiders... :roll:

"Where you at 85?" Gettin' stiches OUCH!!

Hey Tampa!! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!?!?

AND... one more Eagles meltdown for the record books. See ya next week Red :wink:

I'm 12-3 with MNF to go :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Hey I'm all for the Niners winning as many games as possible this year, its not like Reggie Bush can be re-drafted right? ;-)
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

11-4 Beyotches!

The Eagles have lacked a large running back for closing out games for several years. They refuse to get one, so they can't pull 5 minutes off the clock when they need to. Using a scatback with no fullback in front to try to kill the clock is dumb and the main reason the Eagles choked so hard.

The Lions' offense actually played pretty well, but the defense gave up 4 TDs and the game was over early: so much for the running game.

The Raiders' prevent offense is the most grabasstic thing I've ever seen in pro football. They refuse to suit up their second best offensive player, Jerry Porter. Tennessee is another clusterfuck. They had two very good QBs. One is now in Baltimore and they are trying to trade the other. All so they can give the job to Kerry Collins, who was an unemployed QB for a reason. If the Raitards dump you for Aaron Brooks, you suck. The Texans are another abomination, yet thanks to the Raitards and Titans (and the fact that most people don't think of Houston at all) they get ignored. The Dolphins are a mess. The Packers are so in need of purging, I'm surprised the trainer hasn't spiked the Gatorade with croton oil. I don't need ESP to read Joe Gibbs' mind: "We paid $2 million for an offensive coordinator for this?"

I don't see why my pick of the Jaguars over the Steelers is such a wild one. The Jags were a playoff team last year, beat the Steelers last year, are one of the few teams that are more brutish than the Steelers, Pittsburgh is sans their starting QB and the Jaguars are at home. I had to laugh all week when Cowboy fans called it an "upset" when they lost to Jacksonville. The Jaguars are a first-rate team and anyone who takes them lightly or plays them with without a full starting lineup is most likely going to lose.
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Vikings.. 2-0 Pats 2-0 I am a happy man.. :D
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Elfdart wrote:I don't see why my pick of the Jaguars over the Steelers is such a wild one. The Jags were a playoff team last year, beat the Steelers last year, are one of the few teams that are more brutish than the Steelers, Pittsburgh is sans their starting QB and the Jaguars are at home. I had to laugh all week when Cowboy fans called it an "upset" when they lost to Jacksonville. The Jaguars are a first-rate team and anyone who takes them lightly or plays them with without a full starting lineup is most likely going to lose.
Rothlisberger should be playing, and the Jags have serious injury problems. It's not a bad pick, but I've definitely got the Steelers taking this one.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Steelers win, Jag's offense doesn't have the weapons to overcome teh Steeler's defense being my reasoning.

Odd note: The current ad popping up at the bottom of the page for me is the official online store of the Raiders. I'm almost certain that if you click it, Art Shell's contract is up for sale in there somewhere.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

havokeff wrote:Buffalo at Miami Dolphins
*trampling sound over screaming dolphins*
JADAFETWA
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Daunte Culpepper? Who the fuck is that? Oh yeah, the guy who spends more time in Ryan Denny's Lap than Mrs. Denny.

Bills-16
Dolphins-6

They have MIKE MULARKEY calling offense. Since when is betting on MIKE MULARKEY a good idea?

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Kuja wrote:
havokeff wrote:Buffalo at Miami Dolphins
*trampling sound over screaming dolphins*
the very same dolphins that SI picked to take the AFC Championship. Yet another little leage, er... College Football coach proves he can't hack it with the big boys.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Good times roll in Philly: Kearse done for the season. What a craptacular day in football for the Eagles.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

12-3, and 107 points so far for the pool I'm in.
I lost nine points on the Rams/49ers game, but hopefully others put a big number on the Rams to win too.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Good times roll in Philly: Kearse done for the season. What a craptacular day in football for the Eagles.
Well good. If you're going to have a fiasco, it might as well be a complete fiasco. These Birds don't do anything half-assed....except playcalling in the fourth quarter, of course.

I actually feel physically ill every time I think about that fucking game. Christ, I'm going to be telling my grandkids about this one.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Hold on here. NFL coaches would have just as much trouble going college as college coaches have going pro. The game is very different, in many ways. College coaches are not little leaguers, though many are better suited to the college game than the pro game, just as many are better suited to the pro game than the college game.
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

RedImperator wrote: I actually feel physically ill every time I think about that fucking game. Christ, I'm going to be telling my grandkids about this one.
It certaintly says somethign when not even a Jim's cheesesteak erases the feeling of utter defeat after the game. I guess the Giants were due for one, anyone remember the Miracle at the Meadowlands?

We'll have to get them that much harder next time. Little bastards.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

That NOS Guy wrote:
RedImperator wrote: I actually feel physically ill every time I think about that fucking game. Christ, I'm going to be telling my grandkids about this one.
It certaintly says somethign when not even a Jim's cheesesteak erases the feeling of utter defeat after the game. I guess the Giants were due for one, anyone remember the Miracle at the Meadowlands?

We'll have to get them that much harder next time. Little bastards.
We're still ahead of them in comeback wins in the last few years. This is the biggest point differential overcome by either side, but I don't think this is as big a stab in the chest for us as Westbrook scoring on that punt return in '03 was for them.

That said, the only fitting response to this is to stamp them flat next time.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Can someone explain to a dumb Australian why the Steelers insisted on running the ball in the first half?
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

thejester wrote:Can someone explain to a dumb Australian why the Steelers insisted on running the ball in the first half?
Because they're a "running team first" which is what every Steeler fan and Football aficionado would tell you ever since the Stele Curtain days of the 1970s. However the Jags seem to have figured out that if you stop the Steelers from running the football you stop the Steelers, basically doing to Pittsburgh what the Steelers have been doing to other teams ever since this team started to come together in 2005.

That being said Jacksonville looks good, and the AFC is all the better for having yet another scary team.

Although is it just me or is Tony Kornheiser annoying as fuck? I liked Dennis Miller more than I do him. I sort of wish this whole ABC to ESPN switch had not taken place.

Darth Garden Gnome

Well Elfdart, I gotta hand it to you, you know your shit. Jacksonville and its defense is for real.

Also... did anyone notice a somewhat curious graphic appear in the final minute of the game? Its header was "NFL Generic" and it read "AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGG." :?:
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Well Elfdart, I gotta hand it to you, you know your shit. Jacksonville and its defense is for real.

Also... did anyone notice a somewhat curious graphic appear in the final minute of the game? Its header was "NFL Generic" and it read "AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGG." :?:
Indeed. Myself and the four guys I was watching the game with scratched our heads over that.
Darth Garden Gnome

Maybe Big Ben was on his fantasy team? :P
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Man, that was a real barn-burner tonight. I did think it was kind of cool that del Rio didn't rub it in at the end and go for the touchdown, choosing to kneel on it instead. I'm interested to see how they fare against the Colts. And the Steelers could definitely use some variety in the gameplan.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

thejester wrote:Can someone explain to a dumb Australian why the Steelers insisted on running the ball in the first half?
For the reason stated above, and because the QB thought he could play a couple of weeks after an appendectomy. I shit you not. The coach should have kept him off the field.

The Jaguars' defense is LOADED. They lost DE Reggie Hayward for the season last week and they still shut out the Super Bowl champs. I think they'll beat the Colts next week, too. The Jaguars are in a smaller NFL city tucked away in the Northeast of Florida, so the team doesn't get much press. I think they're one of the best teams, though. When you give up only 10 points in two games against high-calibre opposition, you rule.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

13-3. That's right.

No Kearse next week. Half the pass rush against my Niners. Good.

Who didn't see that one comming last night. I love defense!!!

Also after watching the highlights that most people saw of the Ravens Raiders game I will say this; The Raiders defense played much better than said highlights will have you believe.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

Christ Almighty, John Fox. You're a dull by-the-book guy when it's 4th and inches at the 50 fucking yard line, but when the Panthers just have to sit on their damned lead, you OKed Chris "Rubberfingers" Gamble to go pull that shit?!

Marone :? I'm still geniunely stunned at that ridiculous tard of a maneuver. If I hadn't been born and raised 15 miles from Ericsson Stadium ... :finger:
Last edited by seanrobertson on 2006-09-23 07:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
-Ole' Shakey's "Richard II," Act III, scene ii.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Thanks to Jacksonville's awe inspiring defense, I went 12-4 last week.

Why they have bye weeks two games into the season I'll leave for others to explain. If your team sucks, is full of injured players, or is off balance, a week off this early doesn't help much. If your team is on a roll, the week off ruins momentum and gives your next opponent extra time to get ready. I don't like it.

Let's see:

The Panthers are too good to go 0-3. The Buccaneers aren't good enough to not go 0-3. Panthers

I'm im pressed with the job Brad Childress is doing in Minnesota, but I'm not picking against the Chicago Bears anytime soon. Bears

Bengals > Steelers
Lions > Packers: Don't ask why -I just flipped a coin.
Jaguars > Colts
Bills > Jets
Miami is unorganized right now, but they have talent and a good coach who will be around for a while. The Titans should thank the Oakland Raiders. Without them, Tennessee would be the biggest embarassment in pro football. They have a rookie QB (Vince Young) with no experience, a washed-up neverwas QB who was cut loose by Oakland (Kerry Collins) and a third QB (Billy Vollek) who played remarkably well over the last two years in relief for Steve McNair (who was dumped last spring). He is one of maybe four QB in NFL history to throw for back-to-back 400-yard games, yet the Titans are hell bent on getting rid of Vollek and won't let him play. The Titans' offense was a sad joke last week against San Diego. They got a garbage time touchdown when the Chargers were up 33-0. Now, a rational person would think that maybe Vollek would get the starting job. Instead, he is traded to...

...the San Diego Chargers! :lol: The Dolphins should make short work of this turd of a team. Chardok rejoice!

Redskins > Texans
Ravens > Browns
Seahawks > Giants
49ers > Eagles: Yeah, I said it!
Cardinals > Rams: Kurt Warner teaches the Rams that they screwed the pooch balls deep when they dumped him.

The Broncos have had the Patriots' number for a long time, but Jake Plummer throws more killer interceptions in a single game than Tom Brady throws in a season. Patriots

The Saints should give the Falcons a real battle early on, but the Falcons have too much talent and should win this one.