stories you want to write, but can't

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

stories you want to write, but can't

Post by Jason von Evil »

Basically, what are some of the fics you've been wanting to write, but haven't been able to, due to either time constaints or just not being able to figure out how do write it or something else.

Alt history fics: I've been wanting to write one for a while now, but haven't been able to, because I can't seem to come up with scenarios that work. For example, one idea I had centered around a conventional, non-nuclear WWIII breaking out between the Warsaw Pact and NATO after the latter tried to intervene during the Hungarian Revolution of 1956, Prague Spring or some time during the 80s. The rationale for the intervention was that if NATO could free one Pact country, it might have convinced a few of the others to break away from the Soviets. The reason why I aborted it was because I would've had to change certain things, such as creating a fictional head of the Joint Chiefs crazy enough to propose the idea and a fictional POTUS crazy enough to accept it.

Another I had was about a Japanese invasion of Australia during WWII.

Zombie fic: I've been wanting to do one of these aswell. The problem is most sources of zombie outbreaks (viruses and such) have been done to death.

Post-medieval fantasy: Basically, I want to write a fantasy fic that isn't in a medieval setting. I can never decide which setting though, renaissance, colonial (1700+), 19th century or early 20th.

So what be your yet to be written fics? :)
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

A story I call "Scarecrow" about a white-collar office worker with the ability to manipulate a single magical rune. He uses it basically to improve the ease of his career, as he remains and introvert and not ambitious to reach for a position where he would need to compromise his alone time. He works under a female supervising manager nicknamed "Scarecrow" (due to her stern attitude.) It's a love story :P. I don't want to give too much away, as I may write it someday.... (yeah, right....)
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

I've been kicking around the idea for a trek fanfic set in an alternate mirror universe for some time now. Set in the TNG era, the Terran Empire didn't fall, just lost its Klingon and Cardassian subjugates, who formed into the Alliance like the one seen in DS9.

It would focus on a Fed ship which found itself in the mirrorverse and the Romulans. Why the Romulans you ask? Well, for one they're my favorite trek race, and for another the mirror Romulans have barely ever been mentioned, so I could play around with them and their history as I please. I've already written a timeline for my alt mirrorverse, though it's still quite rough.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Kwizard
Padawan Learner

Post by Kwizard »

Two come to mind.

Short story/snapshot: Horror short - thinking of something describing a character going through the solipsism syndrome. It might be worth doing in second person..

Series: I really should finish up Ignore me now, I dare you if and when time becomes available, but another series idea set in The Logical World has been kicking around. Main character stumbles across a woman right as she's about to kill herself and offers to travel around to see the galaxy with her. The idea's really vague, but for some reason I like it more than what's already 3 parts done.

EDIT: My weird little brain seems to like 'The Octillionth Warship' as the working title for that second one.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

For one thing, there's that massive alt-history crossover I proposed a while back. I do have a draft ready, but writer's block and school have been getting in the way lately.

There's also this bizarre noir/war drama hybrid that's been fermenting in the depths of my mind for quite a while now, along with a quasi-original dystopian cyberpunk piece based on a failed RP I participated in nearly a year ago.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

I have a few:

- An alt. history fic set in the 1800s involving a timeline where the colonies never seperated from the British Empire. Of course, I lack the in-depth knowledge to undertake such a tale, and no doubt a similar story has already been published, more than once I would guess.

- A Star Wars/Star Trek crossover involving a forgotten expedition into the Milky Way by the Empire just before the Emperor's death. The commander of the battle group takes control of the galaxy and shapes it into his own empire until the portal into the new galaxy is discovered by the GFFA, after the NJO.

- A fanfic set in the Dark Councilor's universe, centered around the Neutrals (I'm still working on a plot for that one, Pick.) :wink:

- Various short stories, mostly character vignettes or background components of my Sindelin universe.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Well, I've a list for this.

1. I think everyone can guess this one. Deus Ex Lumina has fallen flat on it's face twice now, and as my thread in the Writer's Guild can attest, I'm doggedly trying to find a way for it to work. Basically, it's the Protoss from StarCraft in Star Wars, but due to the number of mutations it's already had, it certainly isn't "Zealot vs. Sith lol" anymore.

2. I've wanted to write a story about a character in the Matrix who was taken over by an Agent, then Smith began converting him...but was knocked away by Neo before he was finished. The end result was two personalities in one body, because part of the Agent's programming had been erased by Smith - including how to "let go" of a host. There's an internal war between the two, but after a time (through drama/etc.) they learn to work in concert. I had no idea where to go with that, so it just started gathering dust.

3. The rewrite of Twin Helix, with all the Exalted RPG stuff removed, and my own ideas in their place. It started well, but I know that I need to be a better writer before I can get this to the point where I could do it justice. This was also the book I intended, after it was rewritten thoroughly, to actually have published, to begin my career as a writer. However, it stalled, so I began working on other things.

4. The story that's haunted me since I was 17, which is basically about mages in modern day times. I won't give away many details, since this was the story that the rewrite of Twin Helix was intended to be training wheels to be ready for. I've been working on it off and on ever since I was 17, which is eleven years. This story began as a video game idea, which promptly died, so I began working on it slowly as a book.

There are more, but I'm utterly exhausted and don't remember them at the moment.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Projects currently underway:

The Humanist Inheritance: (Serial) About 50% complete, final outline 100% complete

Overcome: (Novel) First draft, 20% complete, final outline 90% complete

The Queen's Knight: (Novel) Version 4, draft 1 50% complete, abandoned. Version 5 outline 30% complete.

May Day: (Novella) Version 1, final draft complete, unsuccessful. Rewrite preliminary planning underway.

Garden of Eden: (Movie script) Outline 40% complete

Aztlan: (Novel, set in HI universe) Outline 40% complete

The Madness of King James: (Short story, possible novella) Preliminary planning underway

Fast Times at SD High: (Serial) 80% complete, Stalled

Alpha Threat: [working title] (novel) Preliminary planning

La Distanza: [working title] (short story, possible novella) Preliminary planning, some writing samples produced

Into the Ashes: [working title] (short story, HI universe) Preliminary planning

The Syndrome: [working title] (short story) Preliminary planning

This is the stuff that has actually progressed past, "Hmm, this could be a neat idea" and actually has a realistic chance of being completed. None are fanfics. I do have two fanfic ideas, an nBSG/Firefly crossover and a fanfic set in the GTA universe which quite frankly are never going to get done and there's no use pretending otherwise.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

You have a lot of projects there, Red. What goes into an outline? My understanding of the term is limited to scriptwriting. What does an outline of, say, HI look like?
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Kwizard wrote: Series: I really should finish up Ignore me now, I dare you if and when time becomes available, but another series idea set in The Logical World has been kicking around. Main character stumbles across a woman right as she's about to kill herself and offers to travel around to see the galaxy with her. The idea's really vague, but for some reason I like it more than what's already 3 parts done.

EDIT: My weird little brain seems to like 'The Octillionth Warship' as the working title for that second one.
That sounds like it could be really interesting. One could really explore the universe like that. And more IMNID is always a good thing.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Given writing burnout and a plethora of ideas/projects I have, the list could get rather long, but here's the gist of it:

Star Trek: Timelines (Alt-timeline Trek fic, a timeline where Praxis didn't explode circa ST6)

I still have to finish Timelines #2 and resolve the Jono/Jeremiah issue, as well as the larger issues with the Talarians, and the possible reconciliation of Adrian Parker and Deanna Troi. It's nearly done, but I've been out of it (the story) for so long I don't know if I can sit down and continue writing it immediately.

Afterward will come a couple more plots, including a visit to Bajor and Deep Space Nine, a resolution of an issue left open from the actual TNG TV series, a visit to the Edo Homeworld at Rubicun and a major plot for Larrisa, a lot of character stuff back on Earth, and finally.... a visit with the Timelines version of the Mirrorverse. :twisted: (Including Evil Marina and Evil Zaia! 8))

TGG Fics (from the same continuity as "Anatomy of a War")

Let's see, there's the fluff piece The War That Wasn't, which will probably never be done, to be frank. I still have to complete "The Wrath of Paradise" (the piece about the fall of the Clans from the BTech universe) and "The Decision" (about the ADN mass-WMD attack that utterly ruins the heart of the Dominion and ends the Dominion War, centering upon it's effect on the man who gave the order, ADN President Nicolas Mamatmas). Additionally Marina and I are still doing "55 Days in Kalunda", and we're only to Day 31 in the siege, so there's still three and a half weeks of Gorean and Islamofascist killing left.

On top of that, I have several other story ideas for the ADN and the TGG Multiverse.

"Civis Alliance Sum!" (alternatively, "Civis Concordiam Sum!"): Set in 2155 AST, a little story about two idealistic young college women volunteering to help foreign peoples on less-fortunate worlds. They are caught in the path of a vicious rural rebellion against the planet's urban elite, a rebellion that has no problem enslaving or selling captives to offworlders for more weapons and equipment. One hails from the United Federation of Planets, the other from the Alliance of Democratic Nations; both hail to be the bastions of sentient freedom and justice in a galaxy of ruthless alien empires; one is known for it's emphasis on diplomacy and peace, the other is known for it's willingness to wage war when provoked by an attack on it's citizens and to do it lethally. What will be the idealists' fates in the hands of their captors?

More Fun and Games in the Sphere: The Sphere, introduced in "Anatomy of a War", is a fun/nasty little place full of things to do for mercs, spies, assassins, and crusaders. I have had thoughts of a fic following the characters based on Rymorta that were shown in "Anatomy", like Zack Carrey, Kristin Ignacian, and Jane Sakata.

"Games of State": Covers the Algrossa Crisis of 2158 AST that brings the ADN and the Federation to within minutes of a Quadrant-shattering interstellar war. A closer call than the Cuban Missile Crisis.

"The Dragon's Fall": It is 2159 AST by one reckoning, by another, it's 3058. It has been nearly thirty years since the planets Fomalhaut and Quentin were seized by the Draconis Combine in the Fourth Succession War. Now, after their citizens are massacred while appealing for justice and a restoration of rights under a Combine government growing increasingly reactionary and vicious under ultranationalist "Black Dragon" rule, their Davion heritage is used by Hanse Davion, who's ambition and crafty statesmanship have earned him the moniker "the Fox", to justify a war of vengeance against the Draconis Combine to reclaim those worlds historically held by the two Houses that form the Federated Commonwealth. The upgraded AFFC, it's power heavily augmented by the extrauniversal technology increasingly prevalent in it's ranks, is set upon the one military in the Inner Sphere that has "modernized" the least. Victory for the Commonwealth seems assured.

But will the ambition of Hanse Davion once again lead to a conflagration that will embrace the entire Inner Sphere.....?

The TGG Dominion War: I had two ideas for starting up the Dominion War: a two-part fic with Part 1 covering the time period between the Cardie-Dominion alliance up to the Cardie-Dominion attack on DS9 that triggers the war and Part 2 covering the period leading up to the fateful events that bring the Alliance into the war, as well as the war's first days and it's expansion into Universe Designate CON-5; the second idea is basically Part 2 as a stand-alone story, as it would be easier (And quicker) to write. Currently the working title is "The Guns Began to Thunder".

"A House Divided": The year is 2166 AST. A scandal breaks out between the Federation Government - desperate to satisfy the ravenous demands of it's electorate and to prevent economic catastrophe - and the government of the United Worlds of Pacifica, a charter colony group under Federation suzerainty with it's patience for the welfare-statist central government, and the "Core World Mob" that keeps electing them to power, having run out. This is not the first scandal and crisis between Paris and one of it's partially autonomous colony governments. But it will be the last....

Civil War is nigh. Whose side are you on? :twisted:

Other Stuff:

Mainly, I've been curious about revamping the SW/FFVII crossover I wrote over six years ago, now that we have Eps II and III and FFVII: Advent Children and FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus to give more detail on the relevant periods.

There's also a couple Mistyverse ideas I have (Girl in the Metal Suit-continuity), but I won't bother listing them here.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

I would love to write a non-scifi, non-fantasy fic. Just regular fiction. I can't though. :(
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

SG-1: A Day at the Park (expanded from the short I did as a joke)
SG-15/14: The Path Not Taken (Alt-universe SG-1 timeline/stories)
Black Pigs Season One (The Paxton Gambit)
Jewel of the Heavens Book One (Personal sci-fi universe)

The rest of my projects aren't stories, but I still can't work on them. Hard to get started and keep going with everythign else going on.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Nomad »

A dark fantasy history set in a universe of mine, about the twisted last scion of the van Saska, an aristocratic bloodline of powerful necromancers. Scruples, remorses, morals ? What are those ?
:twisted:

Partially inspired by the helas unfinished Neverwinter Nights module series Bone Kenning.

Perhaps I'll post a chapter or two, but it's doubtful I'll have the time to finish it.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Generations of War: Perditions Blood, a four volume series dealing with a AU ST/SFB fusion starting from the General War to the Dominion and Borg Wars to the Kelvan invasion. Still in preliminary stages.
Last edited by montypython on 2006-09-26 07:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

Unnamed novel: Well... let's just say that it's a gothic horror story of tragic characters with mysterious ties to the past, strange love and a modern setting. Traditional meaning of gothic though, no darn goths and shit. Have been planning for some time, will begin writing some time soon. Have high hopes for the story, but they will probably be crushed eventually 8)

Missing Link: My Zelda "fan-fiction" (hell, my only fan-fiction, apart from including Ghostbusters characters in stories when I was seven or something). I want to finish it eventually. I have most of the story and plot outlined. It's very strange, and I have been very evil to all the characters (who would think that the fishing-pond guy would turn out to be a drunken wife-beater, for instance. Or that Tingle is actually a deranged psycho. Oh wait). Oh well, there will be a horribly stupid time paradox incident in the end (which really is ridiculous and I've already set it up in the last chapter I posted (which was in like June or something)) which I will probably make so that it can tie into Twilight Princess somehow, once I've played through that.

I have a million stories set in my universe to write also. Squeak wars, Grandmaster chronicles, backstories, closing stories and all kinds of things.
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

I have a rather long and boring sci-fi story involving the end of humanity and all that rot kicking around in my head, planned out to some extent. It's a rather odd one, involving lies our government would tell us in order to save us... or something like that.
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

I wanted to write a fanfic with a wanked star wars ship against a wank and future star trek galaxy, just to make star trek fans mad and since no one ever seemed to have done such thing and to make a anti-portal fic.
Tyrian2000
Youngling

Post by Tyrian2000 »

fusion wrote:I wanted to write a fanfic with a wanked star wars ship against a wank and future star trek galaxy, just to make star trek fans mad and since no one ever seemed to have done such thing and to make a anti-portal fic.

Every SW fic using the ICS is an anti-portal fic. :)
Kwizard
Padawan Learner

Post by Kwizard »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Kwizard wrote: Series: I really should finish up Ignore me now, I dare you if and when time becomes available, but another series idea set in The Logical World has been kicking around. Main character stumbles across a woman right as she's about to kill herself and offers to travel around to see the galaxy with her. The idea's really vague, but for some reason I like it more than what's already 3 parts done.

That sounds like it could be really interesting. One could really explore the universe like that. And more IMNID is always a good thing.
Indeed. I'll see what starts flowing when time becomes available.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Noble Ire wrote:- A fanfic set in the Dark Councilor's universe, centered around the Neutrals (I'm still working on a plot for that one, Pick.) :wink:
Which totally blows me away still, since the Neutrals basically exist as a big 'plot generalization wiggle room' aspect :P. Even so!

---

Another thing I'd like to write is a true, blue, shove-your-face-in-it fantasy book. One with all the general cliches, like stolen souls and floating cities --all that stupid crap that Dark Councilors is too good for. Anyway, the fundamental plot begins with a powerful mage who seals away his heart ( but due to poor anatomical understanding, finds it does not work as he intended.)
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Honorverse meets ST: Peep forces go through a wormhole, and find themselves near the Federation. The Committee for Public Safety decides to set up a base there for trading purposes. However, they tell the military governor there that they will support 100% of the selected fleet for the 1st year, 90% the next year, 80% after that, aso. If the trading colony cannot become self-sufficient, they will either have to lose fleet elements, or return in disgrace.

Then I read Steve's fanfic about the multi-universal empire vs the Cardassians, and my story ideas paled in comparison.

Star Wars Interdictor in Battletech verse. They have super tech, highly trained personnel (al 4200 of them), and 6 months of supplies. 22 fighters, only storm troopers (no dedicated ground vehicles), and take over a Periphery planet. They now have to keep the planet safe, stop its technological slide, and rebuild the place before the Star Wars tech goodies and repair parts run out. They have to deal with trade, language issues, assimilating the locals into the Imperial culture, etc. Not many fights, but designed around people learning to trust each other.

Also, the Imperial forces have to keep their presence mostly hidden from the other spy agencies, to avoid espionage forces trying to steal their tech. Any weapons built using the beter tech means that industrial development is slowed down (so you can have a single very powerful large laser now, or use that laser to cut the armor needed to make more tanks in a few months time)

Status - writing paragraphs here and there.

Star Trek story set in the same time as Enterprise (but started well before Enterprise). A single starship captain is assigned to patrol the area well out from the main part of the Federation, and keep the colonies in line. No transporters, no phasers, photon torps, etc. Unfortunately there are pirates stealing the Federation supply freighters, and sensors aren't good enough to track all of them.

Story stopped as I tried to design the Federation ship and the raiders, and got hung up on the details.

Starfire: Interstellar War 5. A Terran Republic patrol fleet detects a pirate force hitting some of their worlds, and a destroyer squadron tracks the pirates back to their base. A dreadnought fleet is called up and destroys the automated base in the star system, and the enemy fleet over the planet is destroyed as well.

The catch - the fleet wasn't a group of pirate ships, it was a Machine Race defense fleet and a standard colony. The Machines decide that living next to a group of genocidal maniacs is not a good survival strategy, and decide to go to war (for those who know Starfire, the humans acted like a Hive Mind, and the Machine Race is acting accordingly). The machines have a larger economy, faster build rates, and their worlds are heavily industrialized.

Essentially the various forces of the Grand Alliance try to fight, and the machines have the economy to engage them all on near-even terms. The final 'battle' is where the main Machine fleet arrives at the Terran Republic Capital planet and demands surrender. The Admiral who did the original attack had been captured by the Machines, and is used as the negotiator for the surrender terms. The Terran Republic surrenders to the Machines, and for the first time in history, a human government loses the war.

Reason for drop - tried to game out one of the smaller battles, and lost track of everything.

A Captain and her ship: Five years after the Fifth Interstellar War (above), the unified fleet structures are being tried out, between Machine ships, and a few human captains and pilots. A brand new Captain is assigned to a Machine carrier, and she must get along with the AI that has been assigned to be her XO. The catch - the AI used to be the Captain of the carrier, and will remind her that she will give the AI the respect it deserves for being a prior Captain of the vessel.

Status - still in the back of my mind. (various comments include the new Captain trying to use the AI as a Word Processor, and the final battle against the Hre'Daak has the Captain forced into a shuttle, while the AI goes on a death ride against the Hre'Daak Arbiter)

edit - SW vs B5 story, where a small Imperial fleet (a few ISDs, and Eclipse, and a World Devastator get stuck in the B5 verse). They slowly build up their forces, and deal with the new locals.

Status - started realizing the power differential was too much to overcome, and ran out of ideas. Had a thought about an R2 unit getting hit by a bit of Shadow skin, and it slowly learns about Vong tech. Cue Shadow ships growing armor, and using singularity defenses (after several dozen failures, structural problems, etc).
Last edited by Coalition on 2006-10-01 09:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

There are three fanfics I've really wanted to write but havn't had the time to do so. I do have parts of them written, generaly the first chapters, but I don't want ot post anything until I finish the first book of Derelict.

The Long Road. A Freespace fic, continuing imediatly after Freespace 2 ends. It takes place both in the GTVA following the 70th Blue Lions in the aftermath of the 2nd Shiven War and in the Sol System, until both will eventualy meet up about halfway through.

Empires and Emperors. A 40K / SW crossover at the height of the Gothic War and a Galactic Empire that won Endor through a twist of fate no-one expected.

The Dirty Dozen. A ST-Btech crossover (think Blakes 7) where a dozen IS Bondsmen from the FC, FRR and DC, a year into the Clan invasion manage to escape their Jumpship onto an Intrepid class Starship that was thrown into the Btech Universe and decide that revenge is actualy a rather wonderful thing.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

My list at present is...
  1. Illuminas: A 40k fanfic, part of a trilogy/duology (the rest of which should be on this list, which I'm not telling of here), focussing on an inquisitor manipulated by several powerful forces. Planning finished for this story, and most of its sequel. Stalled at the moment, as I can't quite nail down the style. The sequel will be third person. After a fashion. As much a writing experiment as a story for me.
  2. Age of Fire: General O'Neill, and Friends (oh, and Ba'al) in a resistance movement on Orii occupied Earth, continuing from The Undiscovered Galaxy. Plus Vala.
  3. Conspiracy of Light: Concurrent with Age of Fire, Captain James Kirk struggles to assemble the forces needed to fight the Orii in the Star Trek galaxy, working against his own superiors. In the other univere, meanwhile, forced to Abandon Earth, Dr. Weir, and the Atlantis team work toward the same end with the help of the Asgard. But there is a snake in their garden...
  4. Second Republic: Flight of the Castigator: The story of the maiden flight of a cutting edge Star Destroyer, in the Second Republic's navy, charged with bringing the criminals of the Galactic Empire to book. Set in the Servants of Chaos universe.
  5. Alustriel's Lover: An idea suggested from a SB.com vs. thread. A Culture Contact agent on Faerun
  6. The Storyteller: A 40K fanfic, of 'Maturin Ralei' telling the tale of how the Pariahs came to be, among other forgotten deeds of the necrontyr.
  7. Legions of the Beast: A Dr. Who alternate universe fanfic, of the 'Mentor's Dalek' timeline. The Daleks encounter Earth for the first time, and become embroiled in a war against a 'god.'
  8. The Shadow War: I'm sure this is a Babylon Five fanfic done by someone, but damned if I can find it. It's one I want to read, even if I have to write it. The tale of Valen and the Penultimate Shadow War.
There's more, that haven't got titles yet...
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Alt history fic: Russo-American War! Basically, after oil and such is discovered in Alaska, the Russians demands the US return the territory to them, claiming that the original purchase was under bullshit conditions. The US tells them to go fuck a polar bear. Russians invade Alaska months later (I figured it would take them a while to get troops over that far). I never started on it because I ran it by Sea Skimmer and we both agreed it wasn't plausible. Of course, neither is Turtledove's and Stirling's stuff. :P

The Colony fic: Good lord, I came up with this idea like three years ago and in that time, have gone through several versions of it. The backstory in a nutshell is about a group of people trying to escape a galactic war or some such. They manage to get their hands on a colony ship, equipment and supplies and journey off to a uncharted planet in a quiet corner of the galaxy. Anyways, for whatever reason, the ship ends up crashlanding on the planet. This is where the different versions of the story diverge. Originally, I had planned for the survivors to lose most of their equipment and supplies, being forced to rough it with what they managed to salvage. Eventually I realised that I might have screwed them over too much and so decided to have more supplies and equipment survive the crash. That was the second version. The third has almost all of that stuff survive, but the main fusion reactor of the colony ship either not working at all or at lowered capacity.

One of the unique things about the fic was the replicator. Originally, the ship was carrying several, but all of them were damaged beyond repair. An engineer amongst the survivors managed to build a new one from parts of the damaged ones. In this verse, replicators cannot create organics, like good and they use some of their own energy to replicate objects. The amount of energy is based on the size and complexity of said objects. Normally, this isn't a problem, as replicators are normally hooked up to a colony ship's reactor and thus have infinite energy to draw from.

I could never really figure out the plot though. :|