A nice map of the WH40K Galaxy

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

A nice map of the WH40K Galaxy

Post by Lonestar »

Posted by Ikkaan on the Relic forums.

Here ya go

Has coordinates and everything
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Dyson sphere? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That's gold.

It's pretty, but the angle and huge stars make it difficult for me to visualise. Is there a less-leet, clearer version? I've only seen the old drawn maps from the 90s, and I've no idea where the Tau etc fit in.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Stark wrote:Dyson sphere? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That's gold.

Uhm, yeah, as a matter of fact that is what it is. :P

It's pretty, but the angle and huge stars make it difficult for me to visualise. Is there a less-leet, clearer version? I've only seen the old drawn maps from the 90s, and I've no idea where the Tau etc fit in.
The Appear to be on the Eastern Fringe North of Ultramar.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

So it's not an Easter egg joke thing, there really is a Dyson Sphere in 40K? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. :) Did the nids stop to have a look, or did it pull them off course? Oh, mercy.

Why do they always make maps at that crazy 3/4 angle? Then again, why hasn't someone hacked google earth so we can display maps like this in full rotatable 3d? :)
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

that is a truly awesome map.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Stark wrote:So it's not an Easter egg joke thing, there really is a Dyson Sphere in 40K? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. :) Did the nids stop to have a look, or did it pull them off course? Oh, mercy.
It's supposed to be a Dyson Sphere, as it's really honking big, metal, where a star should be, and there might be a crazy C'tan in it, as the Tyranid Hive Flight did a detour to avoid it.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

That's a big fucking detour. 'Mysterious object' is far less lame than 'dyson sphere'. :) I guess there's a book about it somewhere?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Necron Codex. It's way, way out on the edge of the Galaxy. So far away that it was studied wiht long-range telescopes instead of a visit.
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

Lonestar wrote:Necron Codex. It's way, way out on the edge of the Galaxy. So far away that it was studied wiht long-range telescopes instead of a visit.
That just doesn't seem right...
It just seem like some author was not having the best day if you know what I mean...
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

I don't know too much about 40k, beyond a few basics, but there is something about that map that strikes me as odd. Is it ever explained canonically why Earth... Holy Terra is at the center of the Galaxy, rather than on one of its arms? Did the Emperor decide that the Orion Arm wasn't gritty enough, and took the whole planet on a road trip through the Warp or something?
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Said dyson sphere is also the epicenter of the Great Warding and is already surrounded by a psychic deadzone. That's why the Nids detoured.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Morilore
Jedi Master

Post by Morilore »

Noble Ire wrote:I don't know too much about 40k, beyond a few basics, but there is something about that map that strikes me as odd. Is it ever explained canonically why Earth... Holy Terra is at the center of the Galaxy, rather than on one of its arms? Did the Emperor decide that the Orion Arm wasn't gritty enough, and took the whole planet on a road trip through the Warp or something?
Look closely at that map. The center of the Imperium is not the center of the galaxy. Sol is in the Orion Arm. Those goofy "Segmenta" reflect political areas, not physical ones.
"Guys, don't do that"
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Morilore wrote:
Noble Ire wrote:I don't know too much about 40k, beyond a few basics, but there is something about that map that strikes me as odd. Is it ever explained canonically why Earth... Holy Terra is at the center of the Galaxy, rather than on one of its arms? Did the Emperor decide that the Orion Arm wasn't gritty enough, and took the whole planet on a road trip through the Warp or something?
Look closely at that map. The center of the Imperium is not the center of the galaxy. Sol is in the Orion Arm. Those goofy "Segmenta" reflect political areas, not physical ones.
I see what you mean; I must have been thrown by the odd orientation of the map. Thanks.

While I'm at it, I suppose I'll ask another stupid question; why are some Ork worlds interspersed within Imperial territory? I was under the impression that the factions were generally opposed to one another. Something to do with 40k FTL?
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Noble Ire wrote:
Morilore wrote:
I see what you mean; I must have been thrown by the odd orientation of the map. Thanks.

While I'm at it, I suppose I'll ask another stupid question; why are some Ork worlds interspersed within Imperial territory? I was under the impression that the factions were generally opposed to one another. Something to do with 40k FTL?
Wherever humanity goes or looks, the Orks have been there first. The Orks have inhabited and invaded planets for millenia, so theres bound to be some planets they still control which the Imperium asn't been able to take from them.

Remember Exterminatus is a very rare thing, and an Ork controlled world is not considered dangerous enough to warrent it.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Noble Ire wrote:I see what you mean; I must have been thrown by the odd orientation of the map. Thanks.

Orks are notoriously hard to get rid of. Once they infest any given planet or even region of space, they're nigh-impossible to remove short of Exterminatus. With the Imperium stretched thin on a constant basis, only the most dire threats are generally dealt with, so something as relatively trivial as a mob of in-fighting Orks is low on the list of priorities:

1) The Imperial Guard is a massive behemoth of a military organization. It's like that fat kid everyone made fun of because he was slow and bulky but then everyone shut up when he turned out to be the biggest and baddest-ass heavy weight wrestler in a 300 mile radius. Getting the Guard up to speed and strength is a massive undertaking and doing so for one or two planets is a criminal misuse of time and resources; hence the practice of Crusades.

2) Some Orks here and there and generally too trivial for wandering Space Marine companies to waste time with, at least not without logistical support (i.e., the Marines could cleanse it just fine, but then what? It's just a planet with nothing there then, until the Orks grow back before anyone can settle it).
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

I noticed that the Hivefleet is getting pretty close to Terra. Were they stopped or are they still making headway.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Space is big. You wouldn't believe how big it is. It might look close on a galactic map, but in actuality the hivefleet's probably a trimillion lightyears away.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I thought there had been a great hoo-rah over at the Relic forums about this being as reliable as a Snotling in close combat?
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

By the scale at the bottom at 3500 light years. A very short distance by Imperimum standards.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

dragon wrote:I noticed that the Hivefleet is getting pretty close to Terra. Were they stopped or are they still making headway.
It is uncomfortably close, but as you can see by the arrows Hivefleet Leviathan isn't in the best of shape at the moment. It's unlikely that they'll get past Necromunda and Mundus.
JADAFETWA
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Noble Ire wrote:
One thing to remember with 40K, as well as the fact that Orks have been everywhere, is that the IoM is actually thinly spread over a million stars. They only occupy a small part of the territory they claim to control with alien held world, rebel worlds, unihabited star systems, lost systems, and so on in so forth within each Segmentum.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

That is a very good map. Nice how you get little info blurbs when you run the cursor over an object. It is a bit surprising to see some Ork worlds so close to Terra, namely Sulairn and Arch Maniac of Calvera.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

That map seems a bit wrong. For one thing, I'm pretty sure the Eye of Terror spans the center of the galaxy. Even if I'm wrong in that respect, I'm sure it is much, much bigger.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I thought it was much smaller; Eisenhorn doesn't describe it filling up the whole sky or a large portion of it, which I would expect from that map.

Edit: When he's on Cadia, obviously.
Last edited by Rye on 2006-09-28 08:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Adrian Laguna wrote:That map seems a bit wrong. For one thing, I'm pretty sure the Eye of Terror spans the center of the galaxy. Even if I'm wrong in that respect, I'm sure it is much, much bigger.
Nah. It's pretty much where it is in the rule book, and I think the size is right