The most musicaly influental country in the last 40 years.

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Havok
Miscreant

The most musicaly influental country in the last 40 years.

Post by Havok »

I was going to try and make this a poll but I'm a retard and was afraid to try. :oops:

Anyway, I was making a mix CD for my new bike and I noticed that the majority of the what was going n the CD was from other countries. So the question of which country has had the most influence in the last 40 years came to mind and I wanted the valued thoughts from board members on this subject.

My choice: England. Zepplin, The Clash and The Beatles. 'Nuff said.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Zepplin
Ahem

Zeppelin

My vote would be for Britain.

Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Sex Pistols, Beatles, Franz Ferdinand, The Who, Black Sabbath, Cream, Pink Floyd, Queen, etc. Is there another country that can claim to be home to so many of the all time greatest bands?
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

atg wrote:
Zepplin
Ahem

Zeppelin

My vote would be for Britain.

Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Sex Pistols, Beatles, Franz Ferdinand, The Who, Black Sabbath, Cream, Pink Floyd, Queen, etc. Is there another country that can claim to be home to so many of the all time greatest bands?
Oh sorry bout that. That is a good list but drop the pistols from it.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
SeeingRed
Padawan Learner

Post by SeeingRed »

I'd second a vote for Britain (Scotland especially)
"Though so different in style, two writers have offered us an image for the next millennium: Joyce and Borges. The first designed with words what the second designed with ideas: the original, the one and only World Wide Web. The Real Thing. The rest will remain simply virtual." --Umberto Eco
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Depends. Where would one say the likes of Jimi Hendrix was from? He was active in both the US and Britain prior to redefining the electric guitar as an instrument. If the US, then I would say it's a bit of a toss-up, though if Britain then there's no question. The sheer amount and quality of hard rock (which paved the way for my beloved heavy metal) out of Britain stacks it pretty much one-sided.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Jimi Hendrix was an American.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

atg wrote:Jimi Hendrix was an American.
Yeah, but England made him.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I had originaly considered the USA with bands such as the Ramones and The Stooges, practically creating punk and heavily influencing modern metal, and Johnny Cash and Elvis, for their rock and roll and all things Billy influences, but England still won out.

Although, Lennon did say without Elvis there is no Beatles or something like that.

Hmm... The US did come up with hip hop and rap, but you could almost credit that to regge.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

havokeff wrote:I had originaly considered the USA with bands such as the Ramones and The Stooges, practically creating punk and heavily influencing modern metal,
Creating punk? They were an important early influence to the actual punk groups like The Clash and The Sex Pistols, but the actual punk brand was created by the aforementioned British groups (and the minor players like The Jam, Buzzcocks and the Banshees), not The Ramones.

As to the OP: for the world as a whole you'd have to say Britain. Putting aside the sheer power of Beatlemania, the trio of Britpop, punk and the mods would have been enough IMO to cement their spot.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

thejester wrote:
havokeff wrote:I had originaly considered the USA with bands such as the Ramones and The Stooges, practically creating punk and heavily influencing modern metal,
Creating punk? They were an important early influence to the actual punk groups like The Clash and The Sex Pistols, but the actual punk brand was created by the aforementioned British groups (and the minor players like The Jam, Buzzcocks and the Banshees), not The Ramones.
Uh, newsflash, Sid used Ramones records to help him learn guitar. The Ramones were on their third album in 77, when the Pistols released their first. Not to mention they formed in 74 a year before the Pistols and two years before The Clash.

Like I said, The Ramones and The Stooges, and probably in the other order. I give all credit to the English scene, but not for punk.

And about the Pistols. ANY of the brittish bands could have gone on TV and been crass and cuss. Mclaren just had the smarts to do it with his boys.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I can't believe that people have failed to mention David Bowie.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Well he falls under Englands flag, which was my country of choice.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

For a pretty good history of Punk, it's roots and where it is today as well as the influences and the infuencees check out this DVD.

I say it's pretty good because it sorta skips alot of good stuff from the 80s
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

The USA, Britain and Sweden are the only net music exporters on Earth, apparently.

I believe the USA has more in the top 100, but I think Britain probably has been the most influential if only because of the sheer power of Beatlemania, which effects probably the majority of musicians around today.
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Hey AC/DC, INXS and Midnight Oil are from Australia man!
Hmm... that list got progressively crappy didn't it? :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Australia is getting better, but we are still definately a massive net importer.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

havokeff wrote:Hey AC/DC, INXS and Midnight Oil are from Australia man!
The next mention of Peter Garrett will result in being forced to watch him dance naked for 12 hours straight.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

You're bluffing.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Maybe. Do YOU want to risk it?
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

*edges towards the door, making no sudden moves*

You win this round.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

weemadando wrote:
The next mention of Peter Garrett will result in being forced to watch him dance naked for 12 hours straight.
Who's Peter Garrett? Right Said Fred? :twisted:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Damnit - I can't seem to find a suitable gif of a stick-insect having a seizure. DAMN YOU INTERWEBS!
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Canada. We gave the world Celine Dion and Nickelback.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Uh, fellas, are we possibly forgetting an entire genre here? Like it or not, hip hop is the biggest thing to happen in popular music since the Beatles, who, incidentally, did much of their influential work before the time period specified in the OP. I'm going to have to go with the US here.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

you forgot rose tattoo

and Nick Cave amoung the more influential Aussies (ok and Nick got Kylie the sex goddess to do one of the most creepy duets ever)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin