College Football 2006

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Georgia successfully came back against Colorado.

They're not for real until they prove it to me.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

The line on the Michigan-Michigan State game ranges from 15.5 to 17.5. That's pretty brutal for Sparty. Stanton probable, but still injured, and no Ringer should make it a no contest true blue win.

That's what I'm worried about.

If it's one thing you learn watching Michigan ball... beware the Spartans' upset capability.

I'll say U-M by a late FG in Saturday's showdown--24 to 21.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:The line on the Michigan-Michigan State game ranges from 15.5 to 17.5. That's pretty brutal for Sparty. Stanton probable, but still injured, and no Ringer should make it a no contest true blue win.

That's what I'm worried about.

If it's one thing you learn watching Michigan ball... beware the Spartans' upset capability.

I'll say U-M by a late FG in Saturday's showdown--24 to 21.
Really depends on which Spartans show up, pre or post ND loss. If they are up for the game and ready for UoM, then I can see your prediction being true. However, if it's the team that showed up to play Illinois last week, then UoM will steam roll them. That being said, how many times has UoM dropped a game that they had won? I seem to recall a few 4th quarter fuck ups over the past few years.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Howedar wrote:Georgia successfully came back against Colorado.

They're not for real until they prove it to me.
The Bulldogs seem a bit overrated right now. We'll see how good they really are when they play Tennessee. The Volunteers have seen better years, but they may be good enough to take yet another SEC team out of the undefeated ranks.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Number 2 falls

Post by jegs2 »

The mighty have fallen. Auburn was curbstomped by Arkansas. Southern Cal barely survived Washington.

Alabama survived Duke of all teams, 30 to 14

On the D2 front, North Alabama beat OBU by a score of 47 to 10, en route to their fourth national championship.

Roll Tide & Go Lions!
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

At the start of the season, I was hoping that USC would not roll through the Pac-10 undefeated yet again, but dismissed that as wishful thinking. Now, it looks more realistic, especially after how Cal spanked Oregon and USC barely beat Washington. ND didn't look spectacular, but they got it done, and they should move up after all of today's upsets.

I'd give #2 to WVU. I don't think USC is worthy of #2, even though I think they'll probably get it.

Oh, and pass the crow, please...
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Iowa had a nice rebound against Purdue and actually managed to look pretty good for the first time this season. The back-up running back (Sims) had a good day but needs to hold on to the ball better. Both teams managed to rack up quite a bit of yardage but Iowa got a whole lot more points out of it.

Arizona's starting QB got at least his second concussion of the season. He's only a sophmore in eligibility but he can't have this happen too many more times if he's hoping to make it through his college football career.

The team has an okay to pretty decent defense but an absolutely horrible offensive line. The team can't run at all, and can only sort of pass. Mike Stoops (the Coach) was saying on his show yesterday that they are at the point were everyone just blitzes against them all the time because they can't run and can't pass well enough to make the other team afraid of getting burned.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

GT got a huge scare out of Maryland yesterday. The special teams were horrible. But we held on to win 27-23.

UGA folded like a cheap tent against Tennessee, I know that its five games away, but I am really looking forward to the latest installment of GT vs UGA.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Darth Quorthon wrote:At the start of the season, I was hoping that USC would not roll through the Pac-10 undefeated yet again, but dismissed that as wishful thinking. Now, it looks more realistic, especially after how Cal spanked Oregon and USC barely beat Washington. ND didn't look spectacular, but they got it done, and they should move up after all of today's upsets.

I'd give #2 to WVU. I don't think USC is worthy of #2, even though I think they'll probably get it.

Oh, and pass the crow, please...
And that doesn't even mention the atrocious clock work in the final minutes of the Washington game. The clock was allowed to run for three more seconds after the (technically) final snap. There should have been five seconds on the clock, more than enough time to spike the ball and get off one more play.

In fairness to SC though, they have been decimated by injuries. It's not that they're slacking off or something.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

WVU has a 12-game winning streak. Pity the damn games are all PayPerView down here :evil:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Is Florida a legit #2? I'm not sure they'll hold on to that spot but its pretty clear that they deserve it more than Auburn. I'm almost as surprised at the whomping UGA got, but Tennesee is a much better team than Arkansas.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Garden Gnome

Michigan thoroughly dominated their cross state rival with a one-two punch of superstars Michael Hart and Mario Manningham. Auburn really took it up the butt from the pollsters for dropping their game; the AP fellas did the right thing by putting U-M on top of "we don't play anyone besides Louisville" WVU. At #4, and Penn State and Iowa to go, they're still a long way from the 1-2 dream match up in Columbus, but I like our chances.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Two HUGE Shockers.

Indiana upsets #15 Iowa and Vanderbilt upsets #16 Georgia. Also big was the news that Adrian Peterson breaks his collarbone in what may end up being his final NCAA game in the Sooners win over Iowa State.

It was a really weird coincidence that PEterson's father was able to watch his son play for the first time since finishing his 8 year prison sentence, and it might be the last time for a while. I still think Peterson is a first round draft pick, though it isn't going to be more than middle to late.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Garden Gnome

And with Florida's capitulation the pollsters should vault Michigan over USC and make it final: the winner in Columbus will play for the national championship. Easily the most powerful, ferocious, brutal defense in the nation. SEVEN sacks, TWO quaterbacks knocked out, and an overall shutdown effort that couldn't be beat (except for one ugly play...).

Our date with destiny: November 18. See you guys there.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

I think USC ought to send Auburn a thank-you card. First Auburn loses while ranked #2, and then beats the team that replaced them at #2 the very next week! In two consecutive weeks, Auburn has essentially removed two possible hurdles in USC's bid for a third straight BCS Championship Game berth. I agree with Darth Garden Gnome that Michigan ought to be vaulted over USC into #2, since the Trojan's last two victories haven't been impressive. Overall, I thought today brought us some good games, and I always enjoy upsets.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Michigan didn't win big enough over Penn State to get that leap in the rankings, even though I think such a leap would be justified since they have much bigger wins.

Anyone catch that 'Canes brawl? Why they're picking fights like that with FIU of all teams I have no idea.

CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

The way is fast clearing for the return of the Irish to the top 5. Should the Irish run the table the rest of the way, and beat an undefeated USC, and Michigan beats Ohio State, Notre Dame may face a rematch with Michigan for the National Title.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Iowa losing to Indiana was already mentioned. :(

I'm guessing that they aren't going to do too well against Michigan next week but I'd like to see them knock the Wolverines off. Mostly it's because I'm sick of hearing about the resurgance of the Big 2 Little 8. Except some like to include Penn State and make it the Big 3 and Little 8. :roll:

Arizona did pretty well in it's win against Stanford. They still suck major ass but they aren't the worst team in the Pac-10 and they might have a chance in winning a few more games before the season ends.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around why one would punt the ball away with two minutes left when one is down seven. Truly the most mind-boggling coaching decision I have ever seen.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Fox just revealed the BCS standings. It's:

1. Ohio State
2. USC
3. Michigan
4. Auburn
5. West Virginia
6. Florida
7. Louisville
8. Notre Dame
9. Texas
10. Cal

Auburn at #4 surprised me a bit. I guess that victory over Florida helped.

Sorry for no link, I just saw it on TV.

Edit: Now with Link
Last edited by Darth Quorthon on 2006-10-15 05:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Garden Gnome

CarsonPalmer wrote:The way is fast clearing for the return of the Irish to the top 5. Should the Irish run the table the rest of the way, and beat an undefeated USC, and Michigan beats Ohio State, Notre Dame may face a rematch with Michigan for the National Title.
Impossible. Unless one of WVU or Louisville drops another game besides the one that they're playing against each other (don't fucking count on it), there's pretty much guarenteed to be two undefeated teams at the end of year between the two aforementioned and U-M, OSU, and maybe USC. USC will probably drop a game with Oregon, Cal, and ND forthcoming.

Barring disaster for those above teams, Norte Dame has no shot at the title.

EDIT: Also, fuck those BCS fucktards. USC over U-M. Pllllttthhhhhhhhbbbppppt.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

CarsonPalmer wrote:The way is fast clearing for the return of the Irish to the top 5. Should the Irish run the table the rest of the way, and beat an undefeated USC, and Michigan beats Ohio State, Notre Dame may face a rematch with Michigan for the National Title.
If you still think Notre Dame has a chance of reaching the National Title game then....just...wow. Such optimism must not go unpunished. :twisted:

CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Why not? If Michigan is to go undefeated, and Notre Dame runs the table from here on out, they will be considered the best one-loss team in the country. The luck of the Irish comes in because that might not be good enough, but it might. Crazier things have happened on a football field, as Irish eyes look to Rutgers for a miracle.
Darth Garden Gnome

CarsonPalmer wrote:Why not? If Michigan is to go undefeated, and Notre Dame runs the table from here on out, they will be considered the best one-loss team in the country. The luck of the Irish comes in because that might not be good enough, but it might. Crazier things have happened on a football field, as Irish eyes look to Rutgers for a miracle.
If there are two undefeated teams in the nation at the end of the year (there will be) ND has no shot at the title. Those are facts right there, man.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Why is that a certainty, that two teams will run the table. Right now there are Louisville, West Virginia, Ohio State, Michigan, and USC. Notre Dame can knock one out of the running, and the other four play each other. Should Louisville or West Virginia lose somewhere along the way (Praying for Rutgers! PRAYING for Rutgers!), the Irish will be in the national championship game, provided they can run the table. Stranger things have happened on a football field.