NFL Football Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Correct me if I'm wrong -- that's the 1st time in, oh, the last 5 or so games that the Chargers have worn the thrown back jerseys and DIDN'T lose.

I saw the uniform and I was convinced of a loss. Thankfully, I was wrong. :P
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Kyle wrote:Sorry to tell you its gonna happen again next week. My Bengals will be in town, and I'll be flying down with some friends to watch the game. New tradition we started last year, we're trying to go to at least one away game per year. This time we're not making the mistake of waiting till the end the season and watching a meaningless game as we get blown out because almost none of our starters play any meaningful time. (in Kansas City)
At this rate I'm expecting more losses, frankly.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

SPC Brungardt wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong -- that's the 1st time in, oh, the last 5 or so games that the Chargers have worn the thrown back jerseys and DIDN'T lose.

I saw the uniform and I was convinced of a loss. Thankfully, I was wrong. :P
They whipped the Bills in 'em last year. I wish they'd wear them full time for home games and the white, blue and yellow unis of the late 70s/ early 80s for road games.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Highlights of the Steelers/Chargers game

- The bullshit technicality that put the Chargers on the 9yd line after the intercept...and they still got the TD.

- The Steelers blitzing again and again and again and getting nowhere. It was poetry to see Rivers, all composure, nail passes under extreme pressure.

- Roethschild getting sacked again and again and again, and then while being pushed throwing a mongrel pass that went straight down a Charger throat.

- Rivers going for a 19 yard gallop.

American Football is growing on me every game. :D
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I'm kind of looking forward to next Monday night so I can see how badly the Bears are going to dismantle and crush the Cardinals. I just hope nobody gets hurt.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Kyle
Padawan Learner

Post by Kyle »

phongn wrote: At this rate I'm expecting more losses, frankly.
Ouch, yeah I know how that can be. I've been a Bengals fan a long time, and no one knows more about suffering then Bengals fans, not even Cardinals fans.

Before last year we hadn't made the playoffs in fifteen years years, I remember rooting for the team to go 1-15 in 2002 after we started off 0-7 then beat the texans and then 1-13 before we beat the saints. I wanted to make sure we had thet number one pick so we could get Carson Palmer.

Luckily the drafting of Carson and the hiring of Marvin Lewis finally allowed us to post a non losing leason for the first time in seven years by putting up an eight and eight record for the first time since Jeff Blake was our QB in 1996.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I happen to remember two times that the Bengals have gone to the Super Bowl and while they lost both times (to the 49ers) they did fairly well in each game, at least judging by the final score. They almost came back and won the first time and they blew a lead in the 4th quarter in the second game.

Personally, I'm kind of a begrudging Cardinals fan since I didn't grow up here and I wasn't particularly fond of the Cardinals when they were in St. Louis. Growing up in Iowa as a mostly Cowboys fan I would pull for all of the old NFC Central (Bears, Lions, Packers, Vikings and even Tampa Bay) before I would root for the Cardinals. I really wish they would have changed the name of the team when they moved them to Arizona.

The USFL had the Arizona Wranglers and then the Arizona Outlaws (when Arizona and Oklahoma merged or swaped teams or something) and both of those names and uniforms were better for Arizona than the Cardinals. The newer uniform on the Cards aren't bad but it took them long enough, just as it took years for them to stop being the Phoenix Cardinals and be the Arizona Cardinals. Not that it doesn't still suck having games blacked out because some crappy team 2½ hours away but it's a little bit better when the team isn't Phoenix. :)

The AFL has the Arizona Rattlers, which is also another good name for an Arizona team. Bidwell really missed the mark in potential merchandise $$$ by not changing the name to something cool, with a cool design, and for not understanding how much a lot of the state dislikes Phoenix.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Kyle
Padawan Learner

Post by Kyle »

Tsyroc wrote:I happen to remember two times that the Bengals have gone to the Super Bowl and while they lost both times (to the 49ers) they did fairly well in each game, at least judging by the final score. They almost came back and won the first time and they blew a lead in the 4th quarter in the second game.
True but the last time was in 1988, and the first trip was in 1981, I wasn't even born in 1981 and I was six in 88. I've been a fan as long as I can rememberbut I only vaguely recall SB XXIII and the Bengals last playoff year was 1990, at least the cards made it in 98. Though after doing some quick googling I see that was there first time in 16 years, and last years spot broke our drought after 15 years, so I guess they did have it slightly worse during that time period. We were still the joke of the league in the 90's though.

For that reason I try to root for the CArds whenever I see them, I have soft spot for tought luck teams, thats also why I root for the texans when I see them playing. Though I do find the Browns problems entertaining and it brings a smile to my face everytime they lose.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

thejester wrote:Highlights of the Steelers/Chargers game

- The bullshit technicality that put the Chargers on the 9yd line after the intercept...and they still got the TD.
Justice was served.
- The Steelers blitzing again and again and again and getting nowhere. It was poetry to see Rivers, all composure, nail passes under extreme pressure.
Left Tackle Marcus McNeil is a rookie but he kicked the shit out of Joey Porter or whoever else came from that side. He looked like a mastiff with a new chewtoy.
- Roethschild getting sacked again and again and again, and then while being pushed throwing a mongrel pass that went straight down a Charger throat.
It's a cardinal rule for QBs: You don't throw it late, across your body and into the middle of the field. He did all three on that one pass.
- Rivers going for a 19 yard gallop.
The Steelers threw everything into stuffing Tomlinson, which they did, for the most part. They dared Rivers to beat them and he did. That TD to Gates reminded me of another Charger QB who was fearless no matter how close the rush was.
American Football is growing on me every game. :D
Most of the games this weekend were pretty good, with only two massacres (Bears/ Bills and Jaguars/ Jets). The thought being stuck with any game with Tennessee involved makes me glad I have satellite.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Hehe, I just heard Tony Kornheiser mention that the Saints have to be everyone's favorite second team. That is, unless you're a Saints fan of course. :wink:

And let's be honest, they're my 2nd favorite team Image -- I have reason though, they have SD's former QB and La Mesa's former phenom high school running back.

Can a team be a bandwagon and a Cinderella season all at once? I'd claim their mutually exclusive. :[]
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Kyle wrote:Ouch, yeah I know how that can be. I've been a Bengals fan a long time, and no one knows more about suffering then Bengals fans, not even Cardinals fans.
Ahem. While I didn't become a fan of the Bucs until Dungy joined .... well, the Bucs still have the worst season on record.
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Could someone who watched the game please tell me what the fuck happened to the Jets?

Everyone I've asked so far has violent convulsions for about thirty minutes...
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Broncos are struggling - and I would have thought the weather would have tipped the game in their favour.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

McNair can't manage to pull a late win out of his ass this time. First loss for the Ravens, but they're still eveyone's Super Bowl picks, I imagine.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Not really. McNair has only a few more weeks before he is due to implode completely.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Again, I have to ask: ok, the conditions might not have been great for passing, but given the speed of the defence (as the commentators continually pointed out) why did the Ravens keep running it?

The other highlight of the game came from this exchange:

*I walk in*
Steve: Shit game
Me: Yeah, I watched the 1st half and it was pretty horrible
Steve: Endless punts.
Commentators: Well, if you had this scoreline in NBA it would have been after two possessions...but this is a great game of football.
*Steve & I struggle not to gag*

- Ron Wilson
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Straha wrote:Could someone who watched the game please tell me what the fuck happened to the Jets?

The Jets are a mediocre team that has been overachieving for a few weeks. Jacksonville, in spite of their record is one of the best teams in the league and the Jaguars took out some frustration on the Jets, whose carriage turned back into a pumpkin.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Straha wrote:Could someone who watched the game please tell me what the fuck happened to the Jets?

Heh...about the only good feeling I can salvage from the debacle in Chicago is that at least the Bills didn't lose quite as badly as the Jets did.
JADAFETWA
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

thejester wrote:Again, I have to ask: ok, the conditions might not have been great for passing, but given the speed of the defence (as the commentators continually pointed out) why did the Ravens keep running it?

The other highlight of the game came from this exchange:

*I walk in*
Steve: Shit game
Me: Yeah, I watched the 1st half and it was pretty horrible
Steve: Endless punts.
Commentators: Well, if you had this scoreline in NBA it would have been after two possessions...but this is a great game of football.
*Steve & I struggle not to gag*
That game was for old schoolers who love to watch hitting and defense. I never much cared for that sort of football, but old timers love it. I for one, don't like having punters as a key factor in the game.

The Ravens' QB is new to the team, the receivers and the scheme. Add that to lousy conditions and they decided to keep it on the ground. The Broncos did the same thing -and Plummer has been with this team, the players and system for a few years with similar results.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

11-3 last week, beeyotches! :twisted:

The Lions will get their first win over the Bills.

Ravens > Panthers
Bengals > Buccaneers
Cowboys > Texans -even Owens can't fuck this up
Falcons > Giants
Eagles > Saints
Seahwks > Rams
Redskins > Titans
Steelers > Chiefs -this is the last chance for the Steelers: they lose, season's over

Jets > Dolphins -the Jets aren't that bad
Chargers > 49ers
Broncos > Raitards
Bears > Cardinals

Looks like all the games but one after 4PM EST are going to be massacres. Maybe Jets-Dolphins will be a contest. The others look like major beatings are in store.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

The only two I'm iffy about are the Eagles/Saints and the Falcons/Giants. The Giants are a relatively solid team, and the Saints are finally living down being the New Orleans Aints. I want Philly to win, but damned if they can stay healthy for two games at a time.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Texans? Wtf? That's the first time I've ever heard of them. :shock:

Anyways, question about the Chargers/Steelers game about a week or two back. The commentators were talking about the Chargers first TD of the game and why the ref had to rewatch a replay of whoever it was catching the ball. One of them mentioned some little known rule that said something to the effect that if a player jumps, catches the ball and lands either ball heel or heel ball first near the boundary line, the TD didn't count. Supposedly that was the reason the ref had to watch the replay (which didn't happen, because the machine refs use broke).

The hell kind of rule is that? Who gives a shit what part of the foot touches the ground first? :roll:
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

9-5 Last week. I'm with you on the first Lions win, Elf, just don't be surprised if they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Hey look, I didn't pic the 9ers.

Buffalo at Detroit Lions

Carolina at Baltimore Ravens

NY Giants at Atlanta Falcons

Houston at Dallas Cowboys

Tennessee at Washington Redskins

Cincinnati at Tampa Bay Bengals

Philadelphia at New Orleans Saints

Seattle at St. Louis Rams

Miami at NY Jets Jets

Kansas City at Pittsburgh Steelers

San Diego at San Francisco Chargers

Oakland at Denver Broncos

MON, OCT 16
Chicago at Arizona Bears

Bye: Cleveland, Green Bay, Indianapolis, Minnesota, New England, Jacksonville
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Jason von Evil wrote:Texans? Wtf? That's the first time I've ever heard of them. :shock:

Anyways, question about the Chargers/Steelers game about a week or two back. The commentators were talking about the Chargers first TD of the game and why the ref had to rewatch a replay of whoever it was catching the ball. One of them mentioned some little known rule that said something to the effect that if a player jumps, catches the ball and lands either ball heel or heel ball first near the boundary line, the TD didn't count. Supposedly that was the reason the ref had to watch the replay (which didn't happen, because the machine refs use broke).

The hell kind of rule is that? Who gives a shit what part of the foot touches the ground first? :roll:
IIRC, the rule is that if you only get your toes down it's a touchdown, but if you get your toes down but your heel also comes down and it is out of bounds then there is no catch. Incompletion. This rule favors players who are going out of bounds face first, seeing as its pretty much impossible to get your heel down that way once you start dragging your toes and have momentum. However there have been instances when the reciever is not dragging toe and the side of his foot will land out of bounds.

You just don't normally see it in the end zone and mostly see it on sideline catches. The rule applies every where, you just rarely see a heel ball catch as most recievers are either already stoped in the endzone and have themeselves established well inbounds when they make the catch or are jumping and consciously dragging toe already. You have to be pretty wide open in the NFL to make a run of the mill, in stride catch in the endzone where it will be a heel ball catch.

The other reason you don't hear about the rule even when the reciever is facing the quarteback and going backwards, ball heel, when he makes the catch in the endzone is because of the force out rule, or again, because when you can turn around to make the catch in the NFL you are pretty open.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

38-18 on the year.
48-22 if you count week 3 which I didn't post here.

Can anyone figure out the winning %? I hate math.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)