Ultimates #12

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Ultimates #12

Post by NeoGoomba »

Anyone else read this piece of AWESOME yet?

Friggen amazing showdown between the Ultimates and the Liberators, with the matching members pairing off and duking it out.

Plus some kick-ass Guile manuvers pulled by Cap.

December can't get here fast enough to tie up the series.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Having read Ultimates 2 #12 stand-alone (without reading the preceding issue)... thank you, Hawkeye, for actually pointing out the obvious about the Colonel's weapon. Pity (I think that) you were the only one. :P

NeoGoomba, I have to state though that some of it was confusing -- in particular, I saw absolutely no transition from Hulk getting beaten around by the Abomination to it being the other way around, even though I read through the issue page by page multiple times; this was quite confusing. :?
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

A good read. I love the look Quicksilver gives Hawkeye when he's bitching at Quicksilver to do something right after Quicksilver had saved him from Hurricane because the speedster battle was so fast it took almost no time and no one else saw it happen.

I also want see exactly how Perun gets his ass kicked, as well as the big showdown between Thor and Loki.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Fun read...pity only one issue left before the coming of Loeb.

A few things.

1. Transition of Hulk fight....was.....uhhh...poor. Literally it goes from him getting butt kicked, to butt kicking...with no reason WHY Abomination lost the upper hand.

2. Iron Man latest suit is sheer wank. I mean why not have him in orbit deploying death pods taking down everyone.

3. The side plot of everyone else was pointless...a splash page?! Feh, might as well just had them after the battle was won.

4. The best thing of the issue was the main event. Abdul versus Cap was much better then the Skrull fight.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
xammer99
Padawan Learner

Post by xammer99 »

I very much enjoyed the issue as well, particularly the scope of the Cap/Abdul fight where they went all over washington and were shown at near every US War Memorial. Not sure what they were trying to accomplish there, but it was interesting none the less.

Yeah, I wondered what happened to Perun as well, specially with Thor suddenly popping up. If Loki is as bad as he's been shown to be, I'm going to be disappointed if it isn't something REALLY epic. The man can "shuffle reality like a deck of cards", how Thor will beat that I got know idea.

About Hulk & Abomination...I took it as Hulk just playin with him and then getting bored and killing him.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Agreed, Ghost Rider, agreed about the (lack of) "transition" in Hulk vs. Abomination -- I would have accepted the idea of Hulk as simply playing (as xammer99 did) if it had actually been shown in any way in the comic, but the aforementioned searching found nothing and came off as almost a throw-away "and here's another way the Ultimates're turning the tide on all fronts!" instead of an actual incident. :(
Iron Man latest suit is sheer wank. I mean why not have him in orbit deploying death pods taking down everyone.
Took me until around now to realize that that was a "suit" and not his own damn helicarrier. :P
The side plot of everyone else was pointless...a splash page?! Feh, might as well just had them after the battle was won.
This being Marvel comics, the real flaw for me of this is that I assume that this will never be mentioned outside of this arc or the others' respective titles. :roll:
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Question. Who the hell took down the Russian guy that had Thor's hammer? He's fucking thing up, he should be the second most powerful meta that was involved in the fight, and we didn't see hide nor hair of him, then suddenly at the end we see Thor and he's got his hammer back. What happened?
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
xammer99
Padawan Learner

Post by xammer99 »

Captain Cyran wrote:Question. Who the hell took down the Russian guy that had Thor's hammer? He's fucking thing up, he should be the second most powerful meta that was involved in the fight, and we didn't see hide nor hair of him, then suddenly at the end we see Thor and he's got his hammer back. What happened?
That is Perun and what quite a few folks are wondering about.

May be that was Scarlet Witch's probability thingy...that Odin would directly intervene and hand Thor back his gear.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

In a previous issue we see Thor's cell is mysteriously absent, so Odin interviening is probably our best bet.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Mild spoiler, but I take back the last sentence of my latest post -- found Ultimate X-Men #75 after posting and it directly contradicted my prediction.

xammer99
Padawan Learner

Post by xammer99 »

Edward Yee wrote:Mild spoiler, but I take back the last sentence of my latest post -- found Ultimate X-Men #75 after posting and it directly contradicted my prediction.
What was mentioned in it out of curiosity?
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Two pages of a Danger Room (?) program written by Storm, which was her and Wolverine (real) versus some of the Liberators (simmed) such as the Colonel. (Don't think it had much if any relevance otherwise to the existing plot points that're continued at the start of the new arc, or with the focus of the new arc -- Ultimate Cable.)

Amusingly, one of the opposition was a simmed Loki who was just standing aside, while Wolverine pointed him out as a target...

Hades
Jedi Knight

Post by Hades »

i've only recently started reading Ultimates and have taken the route of catching up through the trade paperbacks. I've read all the TBs so just waiting to catch up on this latest arc really. Anyone know when the TB is out for it?
If at first you dont succeed.... destroy all evidence you ever tried
xammer99
Padawan Learner

Post by xammer99 »

Hades wrote:i've only recently started reading Ultimates and have taken the route of catching up through the trade paperbacks. I've read all the TBs so just waiting to catch up on this latest arc really. Anyone know when the TB is out for it?
Sometime next year I should think as the final issue of volume 2 isn't due out till freakin December =(.

Though I hate to see Millar go, at least may be the publication schedule will pick up. Hopefully the FNG can keep up the quality of story line.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

xammer99 wrote:
Though I hate to see Millar go, at least may be the publication schedule will pick up. Hopefully the FNG can keep up the quality of story line.
In my humble opinion, no fucking chance. Jeph Loeb? I consider Ultimates over with the departure of Millar and Hatch. Guess you can call me bitter :P
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
xammer99
Padawan Learner

Post by xammer99 »

NeoGoomba wrote:
xammer99 wrote:
In my humble opinion, no fucking chance. Jeph Loeb? I consider Ultimates over with the departure of Millar and Hatch. Guess you can call me bitter :P
Sadly I agree with you...but I'm clinging to hope!
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

xammer99 wrote:
NeoGoomba wrote:
xammer99 wrote:
*snort*...you read Superman/Batman and his glorious final issue there right :P ?

Think of that type of storytelling but with the Ultimates instead of B/S. Or better yet...maybe he'll use...heh, Supergirl's style of storytelling.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
xammer99
Padawan Learner

Post by xammer99 »

Ghost Rider wrote:
xammer99 wrote:
NeoGoomba wrote: In my humble opinion, no fucking chance. Jeph Loeb? I consider Ultimates over with the departure of Millar and Hatch. Guess you can call me bitter :P
*snort*...you read Superman/Batman and his glorious final issue there right :P ?

Think of that type of storytelling but with the Ultimates instead of B/S. Or better yet...maybe he'll use...heh, Supergirl's style of storytelling.
Newp... I only read the Ultimates and a few others, but nothing DC at all. How bad was it?
Hades
Jedi Knight

Post by Hades »

xammer99 wrote:
Hades wrote:i've only recently started reading Ultimates and have taken the route of catching up through the trade paperbacks. I've read all the TBs so just waiting to catch up on this latest arc really. Anyone know when the TB is out for it?
Sometime next year I should think as the final issue of volume 2 isn't due out till freakin December =(.

When Ultimates return after that will it be called "Ultimates 3" how many years are they going to keep this numbering system up before finnally deciding to just have it as a "The Ultimates" continuing monthly book.
If at first you dont succeed.... destroy all evidence you ever tried