NHL 2006/2007 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

4-2? With your goaltending? Ooooooooohhhhhhh you goofy gnome. IF that's the way you want to play, we'll make it a friednyl non wager bet. I'll take the Ducks winning 4-3.

I wish I could go tonight, but this game isn't included on my mini plan and tickets will probably be going for obscene rates. Plus if I do my girl will chop off my balls and feed them to the crows out by the dumpster here.

I do have free seats down by the glass though for The game Friday between the Ducks and Wild.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Darth Fanboy wrote:4-2? With your goaltending? Ooooooooohhhhhhh you goofy gnome. IF that's the way you want to play, we'll make it a friednyl non wager bet. I'll take the Ducks winning 4-3.
Hey, if we can come out of Buffalo holding them to just two goals, I think I can be confident in this defense. Hasek has been solid, though not spectacular. He's easily faced the fewest shots in the league for a starting goalie, because of the spectacular play of the defense (led by league-leading +/- D-man and defending Norris winner Nicklas Lidstrom).

Plus, Anaheim's offense is not something that needs to be afeared yet. There a lot of Western Conference offenses (Wings among them) that need to get off the schneid.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Hey, if we can come out of Buffalo holding them to just two goals, I think I can be confident in this defense. Hasek has been solid, though not spectacular.
Hasek's due to pull his groin any day now, and I give 1 in 50 odds of him making it to the playoffs.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Darth Garden Gnome

I have full confidence in our other Stanley Cup winning goaltender in such an event. 8)
Darth Garden Gnome

What an embarrasment... :banghead:
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:What an embarrasment... :banghead:
Are there enough penalties in that game? Jeez.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Darth Garden Gnome

Master of Ossus wrote:Are there enough penalties in that game? Jeez.
TWELVE minor penalties by Detroit helps surrender 3 power play goals and keep the offense from getting in sync all night. Oh man, that was just brutal to watch. Truly an ugly, embarrassing attempt at hockey the Wings made today.

Oh man... throw that one away, just forget about. You got your asses kicked, now pick yoursevles up and prepare for San Jose tomorrow night.

Congrats to Fanboy--Round 1 of 4 is yours!
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Well we play each other again twice in Jan within a six day span, so we'll resume the most brutal friendly hockey rivalry on SDN then.

And please beat San Jose. To go 2-1 on a California trip with the two Ws coming at LA and SJ would make me smile. Besides, I still think Coach Babcock is one of the greatest coaches in the League, especially afte rbeing nice enough to show up for the Cincinnati Duck games back in Late 2004 during the lockout and signing autographs for me and my brother.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Oh man... throw that one away, just forget about. You got your asses kicked, now pick yoursevles up and prepare for San Jose tomorrow night.
You guys aren't beating my Sharks. Go back to the Midwest and beat up on the lousy teams that you always get your points from.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Darth Garden Gnome

Ay ay ay. What a brutal road trip this has been...
Master of Ossus wrote:You guys aren't beating my Sharks. Go back to the Midwest and beat up on the lousy teams that you always get your points from.
Heh, to be fair to my Wings, they did take 3 of 4 meetings against San Jose last year, with their loss coming right off the Olympic break and the resting of 5 of their gold medal winning starters. Didn't do much for 'em tonight, however.

The referees sucked ass, but no way did the Wings deserve that one. Still, I'll be glad to get the fuck off the West Coast and get away from the assholes who call the games over there.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:The referees sucked ass, but no way did the Wings deserve that one. Still, I'll be glad to get the fuck off the West Coast and get away from the assholes who call the games over there.
The penalty kill is really letting you guys down. SJ has good special teams, this year, but on the heels of last night it's got to be the top concern heading home.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Sort of weird that one the same weekend Wings fan begin to call for Coach Babcock's head that I find the "Lets go Ducks" placard he signed for me. I know I mentioned it but I actually found it lurking inn my collection with some of my other Duck stuff from the lockout.

There's no reason Detroit can't win under his system if everyone's on the same page. But if there is that much disconnection, then Mike will just have to win elsewhere.

Ducks at Wild tonight. Looking forward to it, especially cuz it isn't on local TV out here. Here's hoping we can send the Wild packing.

Darth Garden Gnome

Wings will be OK. I haven't really been impressed by Mike thus far but it's waaay too early to start calling for anyone's head. Just stay out of the goddamn box and the rest will follow. They're having a rough go of it to start the year... might have a tough time facing off against the Oil. Fortunately they have a day off to rest their thoroughly beaten behinds.

I'll be following that Wild game, actually. I have a lot of fantasy stock invested between those two teams. Minnesota's due for a loss at this point.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!

Ducks hand Minnesota their first loss of the year 2-1. Spectacular defense and the penalty kill was beautiful.

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Darth Fanboy wrote:WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!

Ducks hand Minnesota their first loss of the year 2-1. Spectacular defense and the penalty kill was beautiful.
Trips to the West Coast this year are brutal. The Ducks and the Sharks are both REAL good--to the point where I think your expected number of points if you play both teams back to back is less than 2 even if you've got a real good team yourself, and less than 1 if you're a weaker team. With the Stars in the Pacific Division, too, I think that it's clearly the best division in hockey. Even Phoenix and LA aren't really punching bags, though they're not going to worry the top teams in the group.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

The only thing I like about LA is that usually when a team comes in for a game against LA they will play the very next night at Anaheim if we're in town. Usually this means we get a nights rest prior to a home game against a team less than 24 hours removed from their previous game. Not that it makes that much of a difference but it does feel pretty good.

Ducks play the second regular season game of the "Frozen Freeway" series this year before coming back home to play Edmonton.

Hopefully I can go to the EDM game, but I might have to wait until Crosby and the PEns are in town on Nov. 6th.

Darth Garden Gnome

Darth Fanboy wrote:Hopefully I can go to the EDM game, but I might have to wait until Crosby and the PEns are in town on Nov. 6th.
The Kid was a handful last time we saw him. Managed to keep him off the scoreboard, but the addition of Malkin could cause trouble.

Fucking got Edmonton today. I'm desperate for an unbrutal finish to this brutal road trip. Revenge for last year's playoff outster, go Wings! :)
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

The Leafs may be under new management but they're still stuck in their old habits. They're taking advantage of their speedy young guys and carrying the puck into the zone, instead they're still doing the dump & chase which doesn't work since most of them are too slow. They have guys who can skate fast, use them. God it's frustrating.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Darth Garden Gnome

You should've seen this goal. It was every fan's dream goal. You would love this thing.

Fucking Stoll gets the pass and starts to skate up the middle of the ice like he owns the place; Markov comes flying in from his blue line and absolutely demolishes Stoll with one of the most beautiful open ice hits I've seen in years. While Stoll is still guessing what day it is, the puck comes to Datsyuk, one-on-one with the D-man. He turns that poor bastard inside out, skates in alone on the goalie and slides it right through his five-hole to tie the game one-all late in the third.

I nearly fucking shit myself. It was definately sensory overload in a good way, and one of the greatest sequences I'd ever seen.

And then they fucking turn around 2 minutes later and give up a goddamn breakaway, and then ANOTHER ONE two minutes after that. Both are goals, they lose.

What the FUCK?! That's no way to treat momentum, guys.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Sabres whooped the ass of the Bruins. 6-2. It was kinda close up to the third period at 4-2 (It's something that is able to be recovered). But midway through the period, powerplay goal seals the deal.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:You should've seen this goal. It was every fan's dream goal. You would love this thing.
Beauch had a hit like that in a game against LA last season, the puck ended up with Scott Neidermayer who buried it in the net for the game winner in overtime. (Though the way this goal is being described probably took a lot more skill to get the goal)

When it comes to the Red Wings though, all the fans are pouring their collective Karma into the Tigers this year. The Pistons don't seem to need it, the Red Wings didn't think they needed it, and no amount of Karma in the world is gonna save the Lions...so yeah...

In other news, the body count rises in the train wreck that is the Philadelphia Flyers. Their GM called it quits and the coach was fired not long after an embarassing 9-1 asskicking. This after two consecutive playoff seasons.

Addendum:

Can't believe I missed these. Colorado led 3-0 after the first 17:00 of the game, led 3-1 after the first period and 4-3 after the second but falls apart in the third. The Habs scored five times in the third period and all on Theodore. Their sellout streak broken, Colorado seems to be taking a nosedive also.

Also, Ottawa absolutely pastes NJ, 8-1. Can't say I feel too badly about that. And Minnesota gives the Ducks a helping hand by beating San Jose despite Martin Gaborik sitting out with a strained groin. The surprising stat from that game's Recap being Joe Thornton with a -4 rating and 0 goals on the season.

Also in hockey news. Darth Fanboy declared that the "NBA sucks" for the fifty thousandth time this month and made a plea for NBA owners to cancel the season and for cable networks to start covering more NHL games, dammit.

Darth Garden Gnome

Darth Fanboy wrote:Beauch had a hit like that in a game against LA last season, the puck ended up with Scott Neidermayer who buried it in the net for the game winner in overtime. (Though the way this goal is being described probably took a lot more skill to get the goal)
You can check it out here. Awesome hit, awesome move, awesome goal. Too bad everything after it sucks.
The surprising stat from that game's Recap being Joe Thornton with a -4 rating and 0 goals on the season.
Which is just so great for the first overall pick in of my fantasy squad... :?
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote: Which is just so great for the first overall pick in of my fantasy squad... :?
Look on the bright side. College Football!

But if Ohio State beats Michigan, and you kill yourself, can I have your stuff? :wink:

Darth Garden Gnome

Darth Fanboy wrote:Look on the bright side. College Football!

But if Ohio State beats Michigan, and you kill yourself, can I have your stuff? :wink:
Listen: there's no way Michigan can lose that game. With everything else Detroit in the shitter right now (well, I guess there are worse things than making it to the World Series and losing the first game, but I digress), U-M needs to pull through for the national championship.

But what the hell? My stuff is bequeathed unto you, the adversary, the nemesis, the Fanboy!
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Looks like the Flyers are trying the old "Let's fire everybody and hope things get better" trick. Bob Clarke: gone. Ken Hitchcock: gone. And my bet is by the middle of the season, most of the current roster will be gone, too.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues