YAR! More firearms!(Updaterydoo 10/28)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Tasoth
Sith Devotee

YAR! More firearms!(Updaterydoo 10/28)

Post by Tasoth »

Bored the other day and, well sitting in a chat I frequent, I asked for something to do. So I took the job of making a custom blaster for someone's character. Simply stated, they wanted an SMG. I felt it needed to be something that meant it was time to sit down and shut the fuck up when it was drawn. So here's what I have so far.

Lookit the little radiator fins on the front! So Cute! And yes, if you take the top sight off, there are iron sights on it. Felt it would make sense like that.
Last edited by Tasoth on 2006-10-28 06:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Looks cool so far. The only thing i don´t really like is the barrel in the front. I thing it would look better if it didn´t come out of the body in the middle but a couple of centimeters further up.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Looks a bit Art Deco to me. CHROME IT!
Image Image
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

salm wrote:Looks cool so far. The only thing i don´t really like is the barrel in the front. I thing it would look better if it didn´t come out of the body in the middle but a couple of centimeters further up.
Well it's a blaster, so there's really no need to have it up high were the bolt can have an easier time to discharge the shells. It also let me add some big ass fins to help radiate barrel heat.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

But it makes the blaster look like a baster, takes the barrel out of line with the sights, which means you'll have to aim five centimeters high all the time, and brings the muzzel out of line with the stock, which is never good.

I second the motion to raise the barrel. And to add chrome.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

BOOOOOO CHROME!!!! Man am I sick of fucking chrome... Sorry work related.
I would like to throw in with the "raise the barrel" crew. Cool design. You should keep it :wink:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:Looks a bit Art Deco to me. CHROME IT!
Argeed.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

A little update

Reworked the stock, which is incomplete. Fixed the barrel.

Firing stud, safety(thumbswitch) and mag release.

And the Hugin, retextured. Fear!

EDIT: Because Ein made a suggestion, here's the stock folded up.

Mecha Maniac
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Perhaps a torch under the barrel would help? I dont know currently the front is slight...unbalanced?
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

I agree with the 'art deco' assessment.

If you want to add accessories, it could do with some rails or some other kind of attachment points. Those cut-outs in the trigger could get mud or whatever stuck in them. The pistol grip is very unergonomic, and there doesn't seem to be any foregrip for such a large weapon. Given all the mass up front, it probably can't be practically fired one-handed. Also where exactly is the foresight?

What kind of mission is this for? Is it a Trek-style starship guard weapon, a PDW for vehicle crews, or issued to actual ground infantry?
Robert Gilruth to Max Faget on the Apollo program: “Max, we’re going to go back there one day, and when we do, they’re going to find out how tough it is.”
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Winston Blake wrote:I agree with the 'art deco' assessment.

If you want to add accessories, it could do with some rails or some other kind of attachment points. Those cut-outs in the trigger could get mud or whatever stuck in them. The pistol grip is very unergonomic, and there doesn't seem to be any foregrip for such a large weapon. Given all the mass up front, it probably can't be practically fired one-handed. Also where exactly is the foresight?

What kind of mission is this for? Is it a Trek-style starship guard weapon, a PDW for vehicle crews, or issued to actual ground infantry?
It's an SMG style blaster. It's something like a foot and a half long with the stock folded up. The big sight is a red dotesque setup, and I don't believe they have a foresight.

Mecha Maniac
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

Tasoth wrote:
Winston Blake wrote:What kind of mission is this for? Is it a Trek-style starship guard weapon, a PDW for vehicle crews, or issued to actual ground infantry?
It's an SMG style blaster. It's something like a foot and a half long with the stock folded up.
I was thinking more whether it's intended to be in a clean environment all the time. Those cooling fins suggest it needs to dissipate lots of heat, yet they also make it easy for mud or or other gunk to get stuck into, as opposed to just being wiped off a smooth barrel. Caked on, insulating mud would be being a problem if it needs cooling fins to function.
The big sight is a red dotesque setup, and I don't believe they have a foresight.
Lookit the little radiator fins on the front! So Cute! And yes, if you take the top sight off, there are iron sights on it. Felt it would make sense like that.
Iron sights would need a foresight. What's the purpose of the pair of large projections sticking up on the front?
Robert Gilruth to Max Faget on the Apollo program: “Max, we’re going to go back there one day, and when we do, they’re going to find out how tough it is.”
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

I just realised what this reminds me of. It took me so long to figure it out. Kyle Katarn's Bryar Pistol (or rather, sawnoff blaster rifle) from the Jedi Knight series of games: