College Football 2006

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

So you're basically betting on A.) ND's beating USC and B.) the winner of the Louisville-WVU game losing to Rutgers, to get to the national title game. If you think that equates to the way 'fast clearing' for ND to do anything, well, I admire your optimism.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Let us not forget that Florida and Auburn are also about Notre Dame in the BCS standings. If either of them win out (which is entirely possible), Notre Dame would not get into the national championship.
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

I guess Joe has decided to ignore this thread after UGA's downslide.

As much as I like the fact that Georgia is having a bad year, Joe is the most knowledgeable college football person here and his insights are missed...

That said, Tech is on a roll, this weekend's game will tell the tale of whether we will be in Jacksonville this December or not. If we can pull this off, we should be able to go into UGA with a 10-1 record (barring the annual letdown against a lesser opponent.)
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

linky
AUBURN, Ala. (AP) - The Southeastern Conference has sent a written warning to Auburn for violating a league rule by blaring music between plays during last Saturday's game against Florida.

The music violated the SEC's restriction on "institutionally-controlled computerized sound systems," associate league commissioner Charles Bloom said.

Auburn spokesman Kirk Sampson confirmed on Wednesday that the university received the letter but had no immediate comment. The warning was first reported by the Press-Register of Mobile on its Web site.

Bloom declined to say who reported the violation.

Auburn has played the first few notes of Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" or Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train" throughout the season, mostly when the defense was facing crucial third- or fourth-down plays.

The music was played more frequently in the 27-17 win over No. 9 Florida.

Auburn could face a $5,000 fine if it violates the rule again.

The SEC rule states: "The use of institutionally-controlled computerized sound systems, including music, and institutionally-controlled artificial noisemakers shall be restricted to pre-game, halftime, post-game, after a score and team or media timeouts."

Bloom said he was not aware of any other school being fined or warned recently for being in violation of this policy.
This is pathetic. Let the fans be loud and crazy, this isn't high school, this is division I-A football and if you have a home game then the crowd should be able to do whatever they want and if the opposing team can't cope then tough shit.

Regarding CarsonPalmer, who ironically chose a USC Quarterback's name as his UserID despite obviously being a huge ND homer (just funning with you a bit bro), well...
ND's Remaining Schedule wrote: 9 Sat., Oct 21 UCLA 2:30 PM ET
10 Sat., Oct 28 @Navy 12:00 PM ET
11 Sat., Nov 4 North Carolina 2:30 PM ET
12 Sat., Nov 11 @Air Force 4:00 PM ET
13 Sat., Nov 18 Army 2:30 PM ET
14 Sat., Nov 25 @USC 8:00 PM ET
ASSUMING THEY BEAT USC (hell even UCLA for that matter) There is no way they'll get their BCS ratings up past other one loss teams to get into the national title game. North Carolina and Army are terrible, Air Force doesn't do anything outside of the Mountain West, Navy hasn't beaten any good teams and they have to play AT USC. Where they will ironically have their butts kicked buy a guy named Booty.

EDIT:

@ Lord MJ:

Let's not forget Galvatron also, haven't heard from him since the first calls for Coker's job went out.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

The CarsonPalmer is an ironic nickname. I lost a bet with a friend on the ND-USC game a couple years ago. :( Fair or not, Notre Dame is either a. going to bowls they have no business being in or b. being robbed of bowls they deserve to go to. The fact is the Irish always get a tremendous boost in the polls, and assuming they can beat an undefeated USC team in the Coliseum, they have a shot at the national championship. Of course, they do need help to do it, but stranger things have happened in college football.
Darth Garden Gnome

Undefeated Wolverines roll. 8)

Surrender no TDs to Iowa's offense. Offense was slow to come to life, but once Mike Hart gets going, watch right the fuck out. 126 yards, 2 TDs.

And that's the last bump en route to Columbus. The rest of the schedule until Nov. 18 basically requires this: stay healthy (or get healthy), and continue to fine tune the offense and stay unstoppable on defense.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Wow! There were many times in this game I thought my Irish were finished, but Brady Quinn came through in the clutch. Shake down the thunder!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I normally don't mess around with college football, well, except the Raiders, but WHAT THE FUCK happened to Northwestern?!?!? Did they leave the field in the middle of the 3rd? I was watching it on ESPN.com and it was all NW, NW, NW, NW, NW then I actually did some work and I come back and it's all MS, MS, MS, MS, MS... Crazy fucking meltdown.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

CarsonPalmer wrote:The CarsonPalmer is an ironic nickname. I lost a bet with a friend on the ND-USC game a couple years ago. :(
Ouch! That was a shitty bet. FIGHT ON!!! :wink:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

Well GT got absolutely dominated offensively and defensively today. The first time since the 51-7 debacle to UGA in 2002. Yes I know we have suffered double digit blowouts by worse margins before, but the domination wasn't nearly as bad as this one (most were due to turnovers.)

Miami is now a must win game (it always was), if we loose this, the season could be in the tank, and we could be on route to another 7-5 type season and a toilet bowl.

I don't know how, but we need to beat Miami next week. GT is the better team, and the Cane offense wont do nearly as much damage as Clemson did, but that defense has a lot of speed, and Miami could win by forcing a 10-7 type game....
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

Texas A&M beat Oklahoma State tonight 34 to 33

WHOOP!
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Yay Terps. Despite not looking pretty in just about any of their wins they still are sitting on a 5-2 record with a faltering FSU at home and a beatable cast of Clemson, BC and Wake still to go (along with Miami but even though we are playing them at home I hold no hope really of winning that one). So yeah I just really don't like NCState and I continue to take great pride that for all the Phillip River's whoring that went on when he was with them he never once beat Maryland.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

That was a fucking big comeback for the Spartans. I mean, hell, made the Division IA record book for biggest comeback in history. There are a lot of heads that are still happy to be attached to their necks after this win.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Darth Garden Gnome

Balrog wrote:That was a fucking big comeback for the Spartans. I mean, hell, made the Division IA record book for biggest comeback in history. There are a lot of heads that are still happy to be attached to their necks after this win.
Considered those heads detached as Sparty finished their game against Indiana the way it should've ended in Northwestern. State fans want blood, John L. is toast.

The maize and blue defense continues to dominate, holding Northwestern to three points, and forcing five turnovers. Michigan has now alowed 0 TDs in their last two contests, 2 in their last four. And so we roll once again en route to Armageddon...
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

USC is dead!

All hail the Beavers.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

LMSx wrote:USC is dead!

All hail the Beavers.
Man, I happened to be in a sports bar having lunch when that one guy made an incredible interception in the touchdown zone. The whole place went nuts. That was pretty awesome.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I cannot wait for the inevitably hilarious sports headlines featuring "BEavers" and "Trojans" 2-3 seasons ago the headline read "Trojans lick Beavers"

As much as I like USC I like upsets even more and this was a great one, I'm cringing though at how Texas Tech is in the process of pissing away a 21-0 lead over Texas, and how Illinois had a lead on Wisconsin they let get away. Clemson losing is an entertaining sight.

JOE, What happened to the Dawgs?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Everybody keep your shirt on, Notre Dame isn't back in the national title hunt just yet... :wink: My mom's a big USC fan, and she wasn't too happy with the news, especially the fact that everyone's going to rub it in at her work next week. I honestly thought that the Trojans were going to pull it out, after the way they came back, but living on the edge finally bit them in the ass. If there are two words that sum up that game, I'd say "turnovers kill".

Anyone want to bet that WVU v. OSU will be the game on January 8, 2007?
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Darth Garden Gnome

Darth Quorthon wrote:Anyone want to bet that WVU v. OSU will be the game on January 8, 2007?
NO.

Defense! *clap clap clap*
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

In the meantime Terps manage to hang on against FSU and damn if Maryland isn't suddenly looking like it could do some real damage in the ACC and wind up in a real bowl come Christmas/New Years. Seriously if they take out either Clemson or Boston College (and I'd rate the later as more likely) then its second place in the Atlantic division for them and a decent bowl bid to boot.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Fucking USC. :evil: Now if Cal does beat them, it's not going to mean as much.
Notre Dame is done folks. USC was the only "real" game left on thier schedual. Now even if they beat them, it's not going to mean as much. Fucking USC!! :twisted:

As for USC, the last time they lost a regular season game they ended up co-national champs. Also three of thier last five games are at home, and only one isn't in L.A., which is this week against 0-8 Stanford. I don't think I would start digging yet LMSx.

Oh and OSU is not going to be playing for the NC, that would be Michigan and the best one loss team, which actually could be OSU if no other 1 loss team has a strong enough showing to get to #2, but I have a crazy feeling that a certain southern cali team is going to be stomping ass from here on out.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

That's it for the Irish. They don't have a game that let's them jump anyone. No matter how well they do against the service academies and NC, it won't be enough to push them through. Top five and a bowl win is now the goal.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

I'm really hoping for a Michigan-Ohio State national championship rematch. I will be sick if one of the Big Least teams makes it and embarrasses themselves.
Infidel7
Youngling

Post by Infidel7 »

Howedar wrote:I'm really hoping for a Michigan-Ohio State national championship rematch. I will be sick if one of the Big Least teams makes it and embarrasses themselves.
I would cherish a chance to beat the wolverines twice in a season. :D

It will give us just enough time to clean up after the first riots after the November game on campus here.
You are an intelligent human being. Your life is valuable for its own sake. You are not second-class in the universe, deriving meaning and purpose from some other mind. You are not inherently evil—you are inherently human, possessing the positive rational potential to help make this a world of morality, peace and joy. Trust yourself. –Dan Barker
LaserRifleofDoom
Padawan Learner

Post by LaserRifleofDoom »

Infidel7 wrote: I would cherish a chance to beat the wolverines twice in a season. :D

It will give us just enough time to clean up after the first riots after the November game on campus here.
You need the first time to happen first. While the Buckeyes are indeed the only team I am worried about, I have trust in my team to produce that all-important victory.
The Technology of Peace!