Torchwood Ep. 1x02: Day One [Spoilers]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Officially, this show is damned good.

Lets hope they can keep it up.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

Well it gets eleven thumbs up from me, anyway. I'll definitely be watching next week. :)
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Rye wrote:Those were some awesome dying noises.
Yeah, reminded me kind've a Tripod from WOTW in coolness.

Also, I like how Jack has his service Webley .38 revolver while the others seem to have USPs in .45 cal.

The musical score remimds me a bit of Batman Begins at times.
Shortie
Jedi Knight

Post by Shortie »

Okay, that was fun. Lots of gratuitous enjoyment.

It has to be said that they're pretty crap at protecting peopole from aliens though.
My wife went to Vorbarr Sultana and all I got was this bloody shopping bag.
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

Seems pretty good so far, though I want less Owen and Gwen, and more Toshiko and Captain Jack.
"I would, for instance, fellate a smurf before I pick death." Dylan Moran
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
EBC's Devonian Deviant | GALE's Supplementary Bi Brit | BoTM's Raw Recruit | GDC's Horny Delphinidae | I'm with RMA | CoIB
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Dorsk 81 wrote:Seems pretty good so far, though I want less Owen and Gwen, and more Toshiko and Captain Jack.
I'd like to see more OF gwen. She looks to have a nice figure..
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

I'll say. It's nice to see some strong female leads that are also cute and have a clue about what they're doing. Toshiko was a favourite from the limited time I saw her in DW, but Gwen is up there now.
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

Zac Naloen wrote:I'd like to see more OF gwen. She looks to have a nice figure..
Didn't really mean it that way, but now that you bring it up, I do mean it that way too. Seeing Owen naked wasn't too nice, and I'd take Toshiko over Gwen any day.

Gwen just kinda irritated me, "Hey, I'm going to do all this regular police type work, which is actually totally pointless, because we're going to find out where she works on the car computer anyway!"
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
EBC's Devonian Deviant | GALE's Supplementary Bi Brit | BoTM's Raw Recruit | GDC's Horny Delphinidae | I'm with RMA | CoIB
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I agree with Dorsk; while I can see why they went with a "down to earth cop" archetype for a main character, it'll probably all be gone after a few episodes anyway, and the character she was meant to be will come through. And though her body's alright, her teeth are really distracting.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

I never noticed anything about her teeth. Anyway, her current persona will still perservere somewhat. We know she's having a time getting used to what is just everyday goings on for the rest of the team. While she will change, I can see her still being the odd one out in many respects.

Besides, they need that detective work to help complement the high-tech surveillance side of things. If they can't do basic investigations when their tech fails them, then they're screwed.
Hades
Jedi Knight

Post by Hades »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:DW is a kids show. This isn't. It's that simple.
Well it's almost that simple.
The forthcoming Sarah Jane investigates is a kids show. I'm fairly certain that they wont even consider what might appeal to older audiences while making it.

Doctor who is a "family show" ie. The content has to be sutable for kids to watch but also mature enough to appeal to the older audiance

Tourchwood is a purly adult show they soley make it for the older audiance in mind and dont worry about it being sutable for kids.

Esentially the've taken the two core audiances for Doctor who and made a spin off for each. not a bad marketing statagy if you ask me.
If at first you dont succeed.... destroy all evidence you ever tried
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Besides, they need that detective work to help complement the high-tech surveillance side of things. If they can't do basic investigations when their tech fails them, then they're screwed.
Well, to be honest she can't do a basic investigation either, not a competent one anyway. She managed to find out when her mum died, that she had swimming badges, and get kiddy photos of her, yet not her current place of employment?
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Well, to be honest she can't do a basic investigation either, not a competent one anyway. She managed to find out when her mum died, that she had swimming badges, and get kiddy photos of her, yet not her current place of employment?
Born 1987, that makes her 19 and probably a student, who's to say she's employed? ;)
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

Occupation is one of the most basic things to find out about someone, seeing that she worked at the sperm bank should have set alarm bells ringing "Hmm, alien obsessed with sex.. host works at sperm bank..." so she obviously didn't look it up.

Anyway, student or not, every 19 year old should have atleast a part time job, how the hell else are you going to afford getting pissed up? :P
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Dorsk 81 wrote:Occupation is one of the most basic things to find out about someone, seeing that she worked at the sperm bank should have set alarm bells ringing "Hmm, alien obsessed with sex.. host works at sperm bank..." so she obviously didn't look it up.

Anyway, student or not, every 19 year old should have atleast a part time job, how the hell else are you going to afford getting pissed up? :P
She did look it up. She just couldn't remember what it was when in the car.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

I know she said something about her being a temp, but either she didn't look any further into it to find out where she was working, which is a crappy investigation, or she did see where she was working and is therefore an idiot because she didn't tell Jack when he spoke to her, or she just can't put two and two together.
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

If she was a temp it's possible she was working for a temp agency, so the sperm back might not necisarily be on record.
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

That was what I recall happening. The records only recorded the status of temporary worker for an agency, as pretty much most students are. They don't have any obligation to put down where they've currently sent her off given the number of temp positions you can get. I'm pretty sure if it had said "sperm bank worker" on the form, Gwen would've picked up on that. :wtf:
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

Lord Woodlouse wrote:If she was a temp it's possible she was working for a temp agency, so the sperm back might not necisarily be on record.
Yet the computer in the car still managed to bring it up, so it had to be on record somewhere.
Admiral Valdemar wrote:I'm pretty sure if it had said "sperm bank worker" on the form, Gwen would've picked up on that. :wtf:
Well, yea, that was kind of my point, if she didn't find it then she can't have looked too hard if the computer in the car managed to find it, and if she did she can't be the sharpest knife in the draw.

Maybe I'm just looking for faults that aren't really there because she's not really my favourite character. *shrug*
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

It's possible the information was requested and later sent via the Internet. She probably came across the temp position, found the agency number or e-mail and got them to send something back when they found out. It was just misfortune that they found out after she'd already managed to get to her workplace.

Either way, she managed to impress Jack by getting into Torchwood and actually remembering the place, even if it did mean an operative blowing her brains out (which I expected anyway, though Jack getting shot was out-of-the-blue).
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Blimey, it broke the digital viewing record for a non-footy event, pretty impressive, if you ask me.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

Hmm, just looking at Day One again and Gwen knew she was a receptionist, but Jack had to ask where and Toshiko pulls up her employment files. So it seems she wasn't very thorough.
Admiral Valdemar wrote:Either way, she managed to impress Jack by getting into Torchwood and actually remembering the place, even if it did mean an operative blowing her brains out (which I expected anyway, though Jack getting shot was out-of-the-blue).
To be fair, that Suzie seemed like a bit of nut job, not to mention a murderer, so I doubt Jack would have been too bothered, especailly after putting a bullet between his eyes.[/i]
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

True, she was certainly unstable, favouring research on alien tech to abiding morals, even if she could've brought people back to life. I can't help but think she's going to turn up again, given the profile in RT this week, they make it sound like she was going to be a background character for a while at least.
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

Well, on IMDB, she's listed as being in 5 episodes, along with Jack, Gwen, Owen, Toshiko and Ianto, so she must crop up again.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

I just hope that having this earthbound show running will force the Doctor Who writers to actually start setting some episodes on alien planets next season instead of having them just hang around Earth all the time like they've been doing for the past two years.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961