NFL Football Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

RedImperator wrote:Fucking Eagles. God damn it.
At least you aren't Tampa Bay.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Huzzah for the past week.

Next Sunday, I will be at Ralph Wilson Stadium for Bills/Packers. I will getting well soused in the parking lot, because for some reason I think I'll need it.

Or we'll kill Brett Favre. I'm not banking on that though.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

RedImperator wrote:Fucking Eagles. God damn it.

<sigh> At least Villanova basketball starts soon.
Eagles dropping the 3rd game in a row?

Temple winning?

There is a great disturbance in the Force...

Vill-a-no-va!

Vill-a-no-va!

Vill-a-no-va!
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

At least the Skins didn't lose this week...

And let me give a great big [NELSON]HA-HA[/NELSON] to the Eagles fans! :P
Artillery. Its what's for dinner.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Elfdart wrote:
Flagg wrote:Didn't he fine the coach because he was the one that leaked the story to the press?
I think Jones was going to, but Parcells said no.
I dunno, this TO shit just pisses me off. He's a primadonna, and that's about it, but everyone likes to pile on with the TO hate. Yet you have a certified retard like Rothlesberger riding a motorcycle without a helmet and sustaining a head injury that could have ruined his career, then making a point about how he is still going to ride his motorcycle without a helmet, and there is like no outrage comparable to the lastest bit of TO gossip.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Flagg wrote:
I dunno, this TO shit just pisses me off. He's a primadonna, and that's about it, but everyone likes to pile on with the TO hate. Yet you have a certified retard like Rothlesberger riding a motorcycle without a helmet and sustaining a head injury that could have ruined his career, then making a point about how he is still going to ride his motorcycle without a helmet, and there is like no outrage comparable to the lastest bit of TO gossip.
Because even though you can accuse Ben of being less than intelligent when it comes to his motorcycling habits, the amount of drama he has created PALES in comparison to TO. Rothlisberger got in an accident that wasn't his fault, then he had an appendectomy before the season. TO was practically run out of PHiladelphia, was signed by the Biggest Douchebag Owner in the NFL, was thrust into a situation ripe for dramatic episodes, and then had a goofy pill popping incident that nobody is sure of what actually happened. All at the same time getting ornery with his coaching staff and being the center of attention.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Because even though you can accuse Ben of being less than intelligent when it comes to his motorcycling habits, the amount of drama he has created PALES in comparison to TO. Rothlisberger got in an accident that wasn't his fault, then he had an appendectomy before the season. TO was practically run out of PHiladelphia, was signed by the Biggest Douchebag Owner in the NFL, was thrust into a situation ripe for dramatic episodes, and then had a goofy pill popping incident that nobody is sure of what actually happened. All at the same time getting ornery with his coaching staff and being the center of attention.
Which is so much more important than Rothlesberger being an irresponsible dumbshit and essentially ruining his teams season.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Roethlisberger's current woes probably most likely have little to do with his head injury, and the appendectomy isn't his fault. Owens is the cause of [i]all[/i] of his problems, while Roethlisberger, only some.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Because even though you can accuse Ben of being less than intelligent when it comes to his motorcycling habits, the amount of drama he has created PALES in comparison to TO. Rothlisberger got in an accident that wasn't his fault, then he had an appendectomy before the season. TO was practically run out of PHiladelphia, was signed by the Biggest Douchebag Owner in the NFL, was thrust into a situation ripe for dramatic episodes, and then had a goofy pill popping incident that nobody is sure of what actually happened. All at the same time getting ornery with his coaching staff and being the center of attention.
I agree with most of what you said, but Jerry Jones is NOT the biggest douchebag owner in the NFL. The BDO is Al Davis in terms of personality and York in terms of fielding capable teams and taking care of his fans.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Master of Ossus wrote: I agree with most of what you said, but Jerry Jones is NOT the biggest douchebag owner in the NFL. The BDO is Al Davis in terms of personality and York in terms of fielding capable teams and taking care of his fans.
I was going to dsiagree with you, but you're right on both counts. At least JErry's trying to put a team together.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Jesus christ. Every reciever in the league is a primadonna. Fuck, Jerry Rice used to have blow ups all the time and whine about not getting the ball. The difference with T.O. is that he is an entertainer and for some reason we can't have our "holy" game sullied by an entertainer. He also speaks his mind, whether people want to hear it or not, whether it's PC or not.

I have a good idea; If you don't want to have a controversy about what T.O. says and thinks DON'T ASK HIM ANY FUCKING QUESTIONS!

Shawn Merriman was just busted for steroids. He was so busted that he dropped his appeal, and yet on ESPN I hear all the "experts" saying how great a guy he is and how he is the best linebacker in the league. He cheats, but is a great guy :roll: , he is the best linebaker in the league because he cheats. Has T.O. ever tested positive for anything?

Chris Henry of the Bengals ha been arrested FOUR FUCKING TIMES THIS YEAR!! How many times has T.O. been arrested?

Ray Lewis was charged with MURDER. Has T.O. ever been charged with something that heinous... or even associated with it?

The list goes on.

And yet Terrell Owens get blasted because he got into a shouting match with his recievers coach. He signed a football during a game. Said, after he made an incredible recovery from an injury to play in the SB, that his team's QB got tired in the game, WHICH HE DID, while he did not.

The sports media is the sole reason for all the T.O. BS.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Why is it assumed that in blasting Terrell Owens, we are excusing the other idiots in the NFL? I personally despise Ray Lewis, but we weren't talking about him. Does anyone remember Owens and Jeff Garcia, which was also a nasty incident?
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

CarsonPalmer wrote:Why is it assumed that in blasting Terrell Owens, we are excusing the other idiots in the NFL? I personally despise Ray Lewis, but we weren't talking about him. Does anyone remember Owens and Jeff Garcia, which was also a nasty incident?
Yeah, I remember that incident. TO's antics are in their own league, which is why I think he gets talked about more. TO has managed to completely destroy the chemistry on two teams, and apparently is working hard on making Dallas an unworkable situation for Parcells. Most other assholes in the league are only a minor irritant for a head coach. Ray Lewis might be a major league ass, but he at least spends his time destroying other teams instead of his own.

It's just that in terms of managing an NFL locker room, guys like Ray Lewis are more tolerable compared to TO. It doesn't make other players antics any less heinous, it just means that most of the other assholes in the league know who's paying them the big $$$, and are sane enough not to bite the hand that feeds them. That's what makes TO so interesting - he's bat shit insane, and he doesn't seem to care if he throws his team under a bus.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

CarsonPalmer wrote:Why is it assumed that in blasting Terrell Owens, we are excusing the other idiots in the NFL? I personally despise Ray Lewis, but we weren't talking about him. Does anyone remember Owens and Jeff Garcia, which was also a nasty incident?
Which is worse, being a pain in the ass who is a damned good player, and makes the plays, or putting your entire teams season in jeopardy because you're a fucking retard off the field?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The difference is, Lewis doesn't bash his teammates and coaches, nor does he give less that full effort. He is a real leader in the locker room and team player. Just about any team in the league would be glad to have him on their roster. Owens' stock keeps going down.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

havokeff wrote: Shawn Merriman was just busted for steroids. He was so busted that he dropped his appeal, and yet on ESPN I hear all the "experts" saying how great a guy he is and how he is the best linebacker in the league. He cheats, but is a great guy :roll: , he is the best linebaker in the league because he cheats. Has T.O. ever tested positive for anything?
The thing with Merriman's case is that a lot of people in and around the league believe him that he didn't intentionally take steriods. Apparently there have been cases in the past were people have taken legal, over the counter, supplements and ended up testing positive for steriods. Granted he took something that wasn't on the NFL's "okay" list but it wasn't something banned either.

Supposedly the appeal drop was for the good of the team, because even if the supplement he took proves to be the culprit I think the rules would still have him serving out his 4 game suspension. It was either now or later for him either way.

As everyone is saying what a great guy he is I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on a one time foul up. Whether it was his or his trainer's. If it happens again he'd have to be a bit of a moron for a positive test to be some sort of accident.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

havokeff wrote:Jesus christ. Every reciever in the league is a primadonna. Fuck, Jerry Rice used to have blow ups all the time and whine about not getting the ball. The difference with T.O. is that he is an entertainer and for some reason we can't have our "holy" game sullied by an entertainer. He also speaks his mind, whether people want to hear it or not, whether it's PC or not.

I have a good idea; If you don't want to have a controversy about what T.O. says and thinks DON'T ASK HIM ANY FUCKING QUESTIONS!

Chris Henry of the Bengals ha been arrested FOUR FUCKING TIMES THIS YEAR!! How many times has T.O. been arrested?

Ray Lewis was charged with MURDER. Has T.O. ever been charged with something that heinous... or even associated with it?

The list goes on.

And yet Terrell Owens get blasted because he got into a shouting match with his recievers coach. He signed a football during a game. Said, after he made an incredible recovery from an injury to play in the SB, that his team's QB got tired in the game, WHICH HE DID, while he did not.

The sports media is the sole reason for all the T.O. BS.
You bring up some good points about TO. I find him a bit annoying so I just avoid most of the stuff about him, but it's not like there aren't other prima dona players in all professional sports.

I find it helps to limit my exposure to sports media. I see a little bit before, during and after games, and read a bit online and that's it. The sports media talking heads are getting as bad as the political talking heads. Getting people all spun up about nothing while ignoring other things.

On top of the murder thing I also thought Ray Lewis got in trouble for not being forthcoming about what did happen. Something along the lines that he knew who killed the guy but wasn't talking because of a sense of loyalty, or because he was afraid of what might happen if he did talk.

Incidently, while TO gets more press I think Michael Irvin was worse. He was a prima dona (like a lot of recievers), got away with a lot of cheating (pushing off) IMO :wink: , plus had a bunch of stupid legal problems. I think he even showed up in court looking like a pimp. Next to having Michael Irvin on the team Jerry Jones must be laughing his ass off about all the TO nonsense. Too bad Parsels doesn't have more of a sense of humor about it. :)
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

This week's picks:

Seahawks > Raitards
Patriots > Colts *
Broncos > Steelers
Chargers > Browns
Vikings > 49ers -the Vikings aren't nearly as bad as they looked last week but the Niners are

Jaguars > Titans
Buccaneers > Saints *
Bears > Dolphins -In a way, I'd like to see the Bears go undefeated, just so those has beens from the 72 Dolphins can finally fuck right off.

Rams > Chiefs *
Giants > Texans
Bills > Packers -don't ask why, 'cause I don't know
Redskins > Cowboys
Ravens > Bengals *
Falcons > Lions

There are only 4 (*) games listed that look like good matchups. The rest are crap. I'd rather punch my own nuts than watch the Houston-New York game.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Wow, that Redskins/Cowboys game was one of the craziest finishes I've seen in a while.
Elfdart wrote:Bears > Dolphins -In a way, I'd like to see the Bears go undefeated, just so those has beens from the 72 Dolphins can finally fuck right off.
Guess those guys are one step closer to popping the champagne or whatever it is they do. I wasn't sure the Bears could go undefeated, but I sure didn't think the Dolphins were the ones to do them in. (OK, I know it's not over yet, but hey...)
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Its over now. Not quite as dramatic as 1985 but perhaps a bigger upset. I know of a few people that will be all over this as they've been down on the Bears all year despite the great start. Detroit's win was pretty big also and Cleveland is currently up on San Diego.

Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Happens every year. Lions come out of nowhere to beat a far superior team for no reason. Bad news is they have SF, Arizona, and Miami coming up. The worst thing that could happen to the Lions is another 5-11 season.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Well, despite their best efforts (led the way by cap'n clutch Adam Vinateri's two missed FGs) the Colts managed to not choke against the Pats and seal the win on the strength of 5 NE turnovers.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Happens every year. Lions come out of nowhere to beat a far superior team for no reason. Bad news is they have SF, Arizona, and Miami coming up. The worst thing that could happen to the Lions is another 5-11 season.
I don't know about you.. but I'd imagine any team that goes up against my Homestate will be playing JUST as hard as if they where playing the bears... Why? Because No team wants to be the 'one' to break a NFL record 7 game loosing streak.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Well, despite their best efforts (led the way by cap'n clutch Adam Vinateri's two missed FGs) the Colts managed to not choke against the Pats and seal the win on the strength of 5 NE turnovers.
Don't worry. No one will ever remember Vinateri's missed FG's because they didn't end up mattering, even though they were critical when he kicked them. It's a good thing for him he's known for being "clutch," instead of some statistically measurable adjective.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Well, despite their best efforts (led the way by cap'n clutch Adam Vinateri's two missed FGs) the Colts managed to not choke against the Pats and seal the win on the strength of 5 NE turnovers.
Don't worry. No one will ever remember Vinateri's missed FG's because they didn't end up mattering, even though they were critical when he kicked them. It's a good thing for him he's known for being "clutch," instead of some statistically measurable adjective.
When tied, or losing a superbowl by <3 points, Adam Vinateri has been successful 100% of the time.

Sorry. I had too.

Brett Favre had a wonderful game. His center and him weren't on the same page. Perry Fewell also surprised my by adjusting the coverage to the Packer's Quick Slant/Sit Down Underneath recieving. Ahman Green was unstoppable their last drive, and so on 1st and Goal from the 1 they pass? Kiwaukee Thomas has the intended smothered completely, pass defenced, pass intercepted. Really, it was fun watching someone else's team implode in the 4th Quarter.

Tom Brady's Losmanesque performance just made my night though. The Pats fans I was watching the game with were incredulous that with Richard Seymour in his face and Vince Wilfork around his ankles, Peyton Manning could apparently toss the pigskin at random for 15-20 yards. The Game plan from BB looked like "Jam Marvin Harrison and Regie Wayne, then bring at least 6". Small problem was that more than a few times they just couldn't tackle Joseph Addai. Oh, and BB forgot that its still Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, Regie Wayne, and the Colts Fucking O-line.

Against playoff contenders, NE is now 0-2.