Graphic designers for logos?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

RThurmont
Jedi Master
Location: Desperately trying to find a local restaurant that serves foie gras.

Post by RThurmont »

Oh forgive me for not being an Illustrator fanboy. :P

Seriously, though, being able to zoom to over 400,000% is extremely useful when designing letterforms. You can zoom in to such a degree, you could literally encode secret messages in your work that would be indetectable (not saying that I've done that, mind you). Also, the multi-page functionality represents a huge leap over Illustrator in versatility (especially useful for double sided business cards).

My only real gripe with Corel is the annoying manner in which things tend to get messed up when you import from Corel into other applications. In particular, there seems to be a major glitch when it comes to getting Corel vectors into Fireworks, but additionally, you have to be careful when integrating Corel with Illustrator. I've had plenty of hair-pulling moments. I put up with it because of Corel's feature set, extreme precision, and rock solid stability.
"Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer."
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

I'll be away for the next two weeks so the help offer I've made in this thread will be suspended for this time.
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Graphic design —my line of work as well.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

First of all I apologize for the resurection of such an old thread, but I decided it is better this way rather than to open a new thread on the same theme.

I got bored tonight and I remembered Darth Wong's request for a graphic designer and how it died without any specific result. As such I fired up Photoshop and came with these two mock-ups for a main site face-lift.

Image Image

It seems though that the JPG compression and the upload to ImageShack messed a bit with the pattern on the background, but I can upload a higher quality file if needed.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Looks cool. I like the second one´s colors better.

I think you should align the text in the top part with the menu and the SD picture with the ad thingy or something. At the moment the positions look a bit random.

Also make the SD picture as tall as the menu.
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

Well, the whole thing was done at 1AM after midnight so missalignements are not a surprise. Also I tried to accommodate the layout for the content pages as well. This means that either I will have to come with a different SD image that will fill the available area or find some other trick to cover that space.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

You know, with all the bored graphic designers on this board, we could have a logo contest...
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF