College Football 2006

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

There isn't any chance of a Michigan-Ohio State rematch for the national championship; that's not how the BCS works. Losses at the end of the season weigh heavier to the BCS than losses in September. The loser will probably drop four or five spots below other one loss teams.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Oklahoma lost the Big 12 Title game in their very last game before heading to the National Title game and getting killed by USC. The system has been tweaked slightly but it could happen, especially if the game is close. Michigan may not drop so far in the rankings if they lose to Ohio State, and if OHio State loses to Michigan I don't see them dropping further than #2, which would set the stage for a potential rematch. You just know TV execs and bowl organizers and fans are furiously masturbating over that possibility.

I want to see Georgia and Miami play each other in a bowl, so that either Joe (I know he's busy, but its not the same without him yelling GO DAWGS) or Galvatron (tee-hee, Miami Hurrylames) will return to the thread at least for a post.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I'll post anyway. I've been Cokerized.
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Wow.....if anyone is interested in following the meltdown in East Lansing, hop onto www.spartantailgate.com - it's a Michigan State forum, and those fans are going crazy about JLS. It's actually pretty funny to watch.

Wisconsin continues to roll along, even though they have a creampuff schedule. They could be one of the weakest 10 win teams in the country.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Michigan State has called a 1:30pm press conference this afternoon to discuss their coaching situation. I'm hearing a lot of rumors that John L Smith has been fired. It's not confirmed yet, but after last Saturday's pathetic showing against Indiana, I'm willing to believe that JLS has been canned.
- Old Russian Saying
Darth Garden Gnome

John is as good as gone. There are Mariucci rumors flying around like always, but I've also heard stuff about Brian Kelly out of CMU. He's already made them into a bowl team. When he coached at Grand Valley he made them the top team in their division. So he's definitely got some experience at turning programs around and being a winner in general. Not a bad pick for State if they can get him on board.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

John L. Smith is confirmed to be leaving Michigan State at the end of the season.
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:John is as good as gone. There are Mariucci rumors flying around like always, but I've also heard stuff about Brian Kelly out of CMU. He's already made them into a bowl team. When he coached at Grand Valley he made them the top team in their division. So he's definitely got some experience at turning programs around and being a winner in general. Not a bad pick for State if they can get him on board.
I doubt MSU hires Brian Kelly. Some of those mickey mouse playcalls against BC were scary bad. After two disastrous hires, MSU needs a solid guy, and Kelly just doesn't have enough experience. A lot of people are on the Butch Davis bandwagon, and a local commentator said that he was the favorite candidate, but North Carolina has already offered him a job, from what I've heard. Hell, I've heard that Saban is in the mix, although I doubt he would leave a pro job at Miami for MSU.
- Old Russian Saying
Darth Garden Gnome

Yeah, I've heard Coker rumors too, which is pretty ghastly.

I don't really know anything about Pat Shurmur but his name has been in the mix a lot as well. Whoever comes in probably won't make State into a bowl team. Their lack of depth is frightening, and U-M will always get the best recruits. Their mid-season self destruction is a tradition that has been there longer than John L. I don't know what the plan is in East Lansing, but I think it's safe to say it'll be a long-term project.
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Yeah, I've heard Coker rumors too, which is pretty ghastly.

I don't really know anything about Pat Shurmur but his name has been in the mix a lot as well. Whoever comes in probably won't make State into a bowl team. Their lack of depth is frightening, and U-M will always get the best recruits. Their mid-season self destruction is a tradition that has been there longer than John L. I don't know what the plan is in East Lansing, but I think it's safe to say it'll be a long-term project.
Coker would be a complete fiasco in East Lansing, and I suspect Shurmer would be as well. It looks like the Saban rumors are flying fast and furious, now. I never would have thought that Saban could ever return, but it looks like MSU is serious about giving him an offer. He's pretty unhappy in Miami, reportedly.
- Old Russian Saying
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Well, West Virginia's title hopes pretty much just went down in smoke. Turnovers kill. If Rutgers somehow manages to beat WVU and Louisville, I'll be very interested to see where they end up. If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say the new BCS standings would look like this (current):

1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. Florida
4. Louisville
5. Auburn
Take your pick on the rest

So let's say Florida and Louisville win out and OSU beats Michigan, and the title game ends up being OSU v. Florida. Does Louisville get left out and bitch up a storm like USC did a few years ago?
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Raise your hand if you didn't see coming the complete exposure of the lack of quality of these two teams.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

If you think there's a lack of quality, you need your eyes examined, Howedar.

And today's local paper revealed what Slaton's problem was: He'd banged his FUNNY BONE. :banghead: Both fumbles were because he had no feeling in that arm, and it took him most of the half to get feeling back. :x

Still... it was a good game, very close the first half. It could have been a lot better, but hey, better to lose to another Undefeated team than to the bottom of the barrel.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:I don't know what the plan is in East Lansing, but I think it's safe to say it'll be a long-term project.
It's gotta be, at this point I doubt you can save the program with a bunch of quick fixes. It'll probably be years before MSU football gets its act together. (Though it's always funny when people suggest Izzo start coaching the football team :D )
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Darth Quorthon wrote:
So let's say Florida and Louisville win out and OSU beats Michigan, and the title game ends up being OSU v. Florida. Does Louisville get left out and bitch up a storm like USC did a few years ago?
The difference between these two situations is that USC was ranked #1 in the country at the time in both polls. Louisville doesn't have that going for them.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

LadyTevar wrote:If you think there's a lack of quality, you need your eyes examined, Howedar.
The team that can't tackle beat the team that can't hold on to the ball.

This is, of course, all because of WVa's win over Georgia in the 06 Sugar Bowl. Everyone remembers WVa putting up 28 unanswered points on Georgia in the first quarter-and-a-minute.

Nobody remembers that WVa almost lost that game after Georgia decided it was time to start playing. And in retrospect, Georgia probably wasn't all that good.

Now WVa is exposed as the fifth-grade-bully who wails on first graders and I'm loving it. "Big" East my ass.
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

With UGA looking so bad now, I have to worry about the usual Tech habit of not showing up for down opponents and getting whupped.

I hope it doesn't happen today at NC State..

Oh and Maryland is looking pretty good. I think we beat them again if we face them in the ACC Championships, but Clemson did not look good today at all...
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Holy shit, the Spartans lost to Purdue, that was completely unexpected.

</sarcasm>
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I wasn't expecting Iowa to lose to Northwestern but somehow my grandmother thought it might happen and that's what happened. It wasn't even that close from what I can tell.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Darth Garden Gnome

#1 and #2 bend, don't break, en route to Armageddon.

All is well in college football.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

I'm going to be very interested to see the new BCS rankings tomorrow.

Darn, but I was hoping for some upsets today... LSU over Tennessee was only a minor one.

Over at Fox Sports, there's a poll that asks "As of Now, what team deserves to play the Ohio State/Michigan Winner in the BCS title game", and the top vote-getter at 31% is Louisville.

Until next week....

EDIT: New BCS standings are here:

1. OSU
2. Michigan
3. Louisville
4. Florida
5. Texas
6. Auburn
7. USC
8. Cal
9. Notre Dame
10. WVU

I honestly didn't expect Louisville to leapfrog Florida, and by a healthy margin too: .891 to .802. There's a ways to go, but if Louisville wins out, they just might find themselves playing on January 8th.

Also, get well soon, Joe Paterno.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

WooHoo Terps move into the top 25 while removing Clemson from the same, ahh sometimes life is excellent. Still I think the win should count as 2 (1 against Clemson and 1 against the refs) but I don't suspect it will happen.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Tsyroc wrote:I wasn't expecting Iowa to lose to Northwestern but somehow my grandmother thought it might happen and that's what happened. It wasn't even that close from what I can tell.
Nope. Iowa came out flat and got smoked. N'Western managed to keep their claws in Iowa's throat unlike their debacle against MSU a few weeks ago. If it were'nt for that meltdown, MSU would be facing it's first winless Big Ten campaign since it joined the Big Ten in the 50's.

Did anybody watch the PSU-Wisconsin game? Say what you will about Wisconsin's schedule, they just take care of business when they need to. Solid, well coached team.

JoPa is one tough dude - I can't think of too many eighty year olds who would take a shot to the knee like he did and try to walk it off.
- Old Russian Saying
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The other shocking outcome on my NCAA football radar was Arziona defeating Washington State. I have no idea where Arizona pulled that one from but it's probably the same place they pulled last year's ass whoopin' of UCLA.

I do believe they play Cal next so I'm just hoping they take a respectable shelacking instead of a major league beating. If they do better than that then great. 8)
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Tide wanes, and Lions Roar!

Post by jegs2 »

Well, Bama is officially stinking it up this year with two looming losses at both LSU and Auburn. Oddly enough, they'll still be bowl-eligible but they should turn one down in principle IMO.

On the other hand my alma mater, North Alabama, is 9-0 and seemingly headed for their fourth Division II national championship. They've got one more season game at UWA, and then to the playoffs. GVSU and NWMSU both look awfully good, and UNA has had some close scrapes this season, but we'll see.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!