Necessary Acts (Warhammer Fantasy)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Necessary Acts (Warhammer Fantasy)

Post by Imperial Overlord »

A sequel to Ravens Among Crows.

Richart hunched over as the rain came down. His hat and his cloak were soaked and the rest of his clothes were wet, but he was better off than most of the others. The dwarf was pretending not to be bothered by the rain, but the others were pretty miserable.

Marieta raised her hand and pointed. "Windmill!" she said. "Thank Shallya," she sighed.

"Civilization, thank Sigmar," Sebastian said. They had been travelling down the forest road since they had escaped the goblins. Damp and fear had been their companions for the last two days.

"A pissant human hamlet is not civilization," Kargun rumbled.

"It is shelter out of this god cursed rain," Marieta said waspishly.

"The sooner the better," said Sebastian. The young wizard's clothes were soaked and he was completely miserable.

Richart just pushed ahead. The road was half mud and clung to his horse's legs. Ahead of them the road stretched ahead. He could see the distant shape of the windmill under the slate grey skies, but there was a sign just ahead. As he got closer he could make out the silhouette of a coach and a foaming mug on the sign. A roadside inn.

The walled compound was just off the road. A ten foot high wooden palisade surrounded the inn and a long bell rope was dangled by the gate. Inside the three story inn towered above several secondary buildings. Most likely a stable, coach house, and barn.

The travellers approached. The gate was open, although it wouldn't be come dusk. A sandy haired man in his early twenties with a scraggly beard stood under a wooden overhang with a spear and a crossbow.

Richart swung off his horse. The professional fighter was half a head taller and at least twenty pounds heavier than the man. Plate armour covered his chest and left arm and lighter leathers guarded the rest. A pistol, dagger, and sword hung from his belt. "You had better have rooms," he rumbled.

"We do."

"Expecting someone?"

"Hoping. Business has been slow." He rang the bell. A boy, mid teens and a family resemblance, stuck his head out. "Help them with their horses."

The boy guided them across the muddy courtyard to the stables. There were two other houses inside as the boy started opening stalls. Richart settled his horse in and brushed him down. He handed the boy four pennies. "Make sure they're well treated." He didn't bother adding a threat.

The boy snatched the coins and bowed. Richart followed the rest of his temporary companions into the inn proper. It was warm inside with a big roaring fire. A heavy set man stood behind the bar and two women, one with dark blonde hair the other with light brown, were putting plates and mugs in front of a table with three hard looking men who looked to be hunters by their dress and weapons leaning against the wall.

"Something hot. Fast. For Four," said Kargun. "And ale."

"As you say sir dwarf," said the bartender. "Four stews and four ales. Margret, come give me a hand."

"Yes father," the brown haired girl said.

"And welcome to the Wheel and Tankard," said the inn keeper.

Kargun grunted and sat down at a table by the roaring hearth. Marieta shed her damp cloak and sat down as Richart came in. Sebastian was shivering as he sat down. The big sellsword followed suit.

The inn keeper returned with a tray of ales. "The stew will be just a moment." His eyes darted toward the raven on Sebastian's shoulder.

"He's well behaved," said the Bright Wizard. "Do you have baths?"

"Yes sir. Two pennies." Sebastian slid two brass coins across the table.

"I'll take it now."

"Umm. . . of course. Otilia, show the good sir to the baths."

The blonde woman blinked. "Of course father. Please follow me sir." Sebastian rose from the chair, leaving his black robe behind. The raven hopped to the table and then took to the wing to land again on Sebastian's dark red tunic. The wizard followed the barmaid into a backroom.

As water was being heated in the kitchens, Margret darted out the back to the stables. "Gerhart," she hissed at the stable boy.

"These?" the boy asked.

"Yes. Father said to ride to town and burgomeister."

The boy fidgeted. It wasn't a good thing they were doing, they all knew that but in times like these you had to look after your own first. "Alright. They look like a hard bunch."

"Papa will make sure they won't give us any trouble."
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

The word 'yay' comes to mind. :D I love these guys.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Marieta grimiced as she sipped the ale. There was an almost slimy aftertaste. Maybe the brewer had used casks of green wood.

"Bah," said Kargun. "Human beer. You folk can never do it really right and this isn't even close." He gulped down his mug.

"I've had worse," said Richart.

Marieta shoved her half full mug across the table. "I haven't."

"That's because you Tileans drink like elves," Kargun rumbled. "Too much wine."

"Dwarves don't have taste worth mentioning," Marieta responded. Kargun picked up her mug. "There is more to cooking than boiling it to make sure it is dead. I swear to all the gods you would have no idea what to do with olives or peppers." She put up a hand to stifle a yawn.

Otilia, the blonde, came over with another platter with four small bowls. She placed a bowl of steaming stew in front of each one. "This should put some fire in your bellies. Have you decided what you'll be wanting?"

Richart smiled evilly. "Whatever's hot."

"We have some fresh venison," Otilia said, inclining her head in the direction of the hunters.

"That'll be good," he said. He finished his mug. "And something to drink besides beer."

"Wine? Mulled cider?"

"Cider." Marieta and Kurgan nodded in agreement. "Make it three," he said, yawning. Kurgan put down Marieta's empty mug.

"Sigmar's bones, I'm tired," said Richart. "Must be getting old. Two hard days shouldn't take this much out of me. Even with the wet."

Kurgan nodded, his eyes glazing over and then he collapsed face first onto the table, overturning his stew bowl. This was wrong, thought Richart. He struggled to his feet and groped for his sword. He was so damn slow and clumsy. Marieta was trying to do the same.

One of the hunter's grabbed his wrist. Damn. Richart punched him, but the blow was feeble. The hunter reacted by punching him in the stomach. He cried out when his knuckles met Richart's breastplate.

Another hunter was holding Marieta down. She wasn't getting free. His limbs felt so damn heavy. Hells, his eyelids felt like they were made of lead. Richart slumped to the floor.

The hunter winced and rubbed his knuckles. His friend smiled, showing missing teeth. "Not that bright Helmut."

"Shut up Dieter," he hissed back.

"I sent Gerhardt to get Johann," said the innkeeper. "He'll be here soon and we can get this over with."

"The other one will probably be done with his bath first," said Dieter. "He'll know something's wrong the minute he steps out. Best to take him down now."

"Don't make a mess," said the innkeeper.

Dieter laughed. "Don't worry Franz. We'll try to avoid spilling blood over your nice floors." He looked over at the silent hunter. "Hans, take your brother and secure bathing boy. If you have to cut him, try to do it in the tub."

Helmut grinned. "Ja, we'll see to it." He joined up with the quiet hunter and headed towards the bathroom.

Oblivious to the approaching danger, Sebastian reclined in the tub. The heat felt so nice and of course it helped keep his wound clean. Richart had done a good job sewing and it had been less tender today than it had been on the previous one, but it was still going to be a while before he was whole.

Just lying here, luxuriating in all the heat, was paradise after cold and wet days on the road. He lay his head back against the wooden tub's rim. The door flew open and two hunters who were definitely not carrying buckets of hot water rushed towards him.

He reacted. He thrust out his right hand and invoked the power of Doomfire Ring. The Fire Rubies glowed in their settings of black iron and blazing spheres of orange-red flames flashed out to strike the nearest hunter in the upper right thigh and abdomen. The fireballs burst on impact and the hunter fell screaming. The second hunter was hit in the left shoulder and half way turned around. He did not cry out, but dived out of the room.

Sebastian stood up in the tub, water running off his naked body. He shouted out another spell and a crown of fire appeared hovering above his head. Aqshy, the red wind, was the aligned with passions as well as fire and destruction. The Crown of Fire would dissuade all but the bravest from attacking him.

He quickly pulled on his pants and slid into his boots. It was likely that the others had already been overcome. He had to survive and stay free for now and come back later to either rescue or avenge them. He uttered another spell that bound the energies of the red wind around him like a suit of invisible armour. He seized his sword belt and quickly belted it on. Naked steel in his hand, he ventured into the tap room.

The two hunters had knives to Richart and Marieta's throat. He innkeeper was sweating and holding a knotted club. "Don't do anything rash," he said. Sebastian's eyes narrowed.

"They had better stay healthy," the wizard warned. "Right now they are the only thing standing between you and screaming the rest of your life away." Out of the corner of his eye he could see the entrance to the kitchen, which presumably had an exit out the back.

"Put out the spell and toss over the ring or they get it," said the unwounded hunter.

"No. Run now and I'll let you live."

Dieter snickered. "Not a chance. I'm holding all the cards."

There was no way, Sebastian realized, that the hunter and the innkeeper could be preying on travellers without others being in on it. They were too close to the village and there would be too many signs. Others were in on it and he saw neither of the innkeeper's sons. How long would it take for reinforcements to arrive? Not long enough. This stalemate was going to kill him.

He turned and dashed through the kitchen. A heavy, gray haired woman screamed and half got out of his away. Sebastian viciously slashed her across the face with his sword as he passed. He flipped the bar on the back door and was outside in the inn courtyard. Arrow bait when they got their courage and wits back. Going out the front would put him right in front of his enemies, in the path of their reinforcements, and deprive him of cover. He ran for the back wall and intoned a lesser magic.

The Skywalk spell wouldn't last long, but it didn't half to. Sebastian ran on the air as if it was the earth and ran over the wall on a ramp of air before descending the other side. The Skywalk spell failed as he touched earth, as did the Crown of Fire, leaving him alone and shivering in the darkness.
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2006-10-27 01:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Ah, Sebastian, you hardass. So an evil town to excape from/murder? Works for me.
What is Project Zohar?

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Crown of Fire was dissuade all but the bravest from attacking him.
I'm guessing that should be 'would'?

Great chapter either way :) I'm guessing the 'slimy' taste was the sleeping draught. But now what will they do with them?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Dieter and Hans came back into the inn snarling. Franz was weeping over his wife's body. "He's gone," Dieter snarled. "Magicked himself over the wall." Dieter turned his head and spat.

Franz's hands and apron were covered in his wife's blood. "He killed my Hilda," he said, tears streaming down his face. "He killed my Hilda."

"Killed Helmut too," said Dieter. Smoke no longer rose from the wound on Han's shoulder. "It went bad." His eyes drifted over the table with the unconscious travellers. He walked over and picked up Marieta, grunting at the weight. He layed her down on another table.

Dieter began fumbling at her weapons belt. "You're next," he said to Hans. "We can take our losses out on this bitch in kind. Pull her arms up and we'll get this gods cursed hauberk off her." Hans moved to the other side of the table and grabbed her arms.

"None of that!" said Franz, his voice almost a shriek. "My Hilda didn't die for that! We don't do this for that! We do it because we have to," he said choking back a sob.

Hans looked at Dieter. Dieter shrugged and mouthed the word "later." Best not to upset Franz, who had delusions of being a decent man who did what he needed to do for his family. Hans and Dieter knew better. All men were scum, sacks of shit and blood and piss. Franz liked to think different and his sons would back him all the way. Besides, they had plenty of time to settle up.

The inn door opened and a squat man with a thick dark beard entered. A tall, blonde, clean shaven man entered behind him. Water poured off the blonde's cloak and hat. Mail glinted under the blonde's tunic and from underneath the bearded man's leathers. Swords hung on both of their belts and the blonde had a brace of pistols as well. He looked around.

"Johann," quivered the innkeeper.

"Franz," said the blonde. "Gerhardt said four. I see three."

"One got away."

Johann's face twisted with rage. "Got away?! Do you have any idea what kind of problems this could cause?"

"Yes," said Dieter, "I rather thank we do. He killed Helmut and Hilda."

"Start from the beginning," said Johann.

"Four came in. Served them the usual. One wanted a bath and he went before drinking a beer. That's his coat there. The others," Dieter gestured at the fallen, "out as usual. He was a wizard and he burned Helmut down. Fought his way out, minus his shirt and coat. Hit Hilda in the face with his sword."

Johann walked over to the coat and noted the orange flame patterns. "Fire magic?"

"Ja," said Dieter.

"Bright Wizard. That will be a problem. Someone might listen to a member of the Colleges of Magic when they say someone tried to kill him. He might come back with more trouble. Or witch hunters." The room went dead quiet. "They won't understand and they'll dig around. It'll be the stake for all of us."

"He's just one man, half naked, alone out there," said Dieter. "Not healthy at all."

"He's a wizard," said Johann. "And if he doesn't die it could be very bad."

The stocky man with the black beard cracked his knuckles. "I'll see to this. I'll get some dogs, you bring Hans. We'll run this wizard to ground before morning."

"Hard for dogs to track in the rain," said Dieter.

"We've got his coat. They'll know his smell well enough and there's a good wind." The hunter nodded. He didn't look forward to going out there in this weather, but it was better than disappointing Johann.

"We'll get our stuff," Dieter mumbled.

"Good," said Johann. "We'll take the rest up to the rock." He turned to the bearded man. "Don't play with this one Berend. We don't need him alive. Just get it done. And take the rifle."

Berend nodded. "It'll get done."
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2006-11-14 08:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Author's Note: I was originally planning for Marieta to be the one who wasn't captured, but I couldn't come up with a reason why they wouldn't cut out Sebastian's tongue so they switched places.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

They're going to hunt down a wizard? They're braver than I thought.
What is Project Zohar?

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Ford Prefect wrote:They're going to hunt down a wizard? They're braver than I thought.
They die like everyone else. And they don't want scrutiny from non local authorities.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Imperial Overlord wrote: They die like everyone else.
Oh, yeah. Everyone else doesn't fling around fireballs though. :D
What is Project Zohar?

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Sebastian ran blindly through the rain and darkness. He was cold and shivering as he pushed forward, his arms crisscrossed with welts from where he had blundered into tree branches. Pain flared in his side from his wound. The wizard stopped briefly to get his bearings and doubled over coughing.

He stood up, his frame wracked by shivering. His clothes were soak through and he was so very cold. He wiped rain slick hair away from his eyes. Pursuit would come and even if they couldn't track his trail through the mud in the dark, the wind would bring dogs his scent. He had left his tunic and robe back at the inn, there would be no difficulty in that for his pursuers. And then there was what to do about Richart, Marieta, and Kargun.

His mind raced as he resumed jogging. It was unlikely that they were picking off travellers and no one in the nearby village new anything about it. More likely, everyone knew. The profits got spread around one way or another. And that meant there was more than one way to attack this problem. The wizard changed direction to be angling closer to the road and kept moving.

His side burned like fire, but he reached his destination soon enough. Lightning flared, revealing the walled farm house standing in the middle of the fields. Just as the windmill meant there was a village here and that the locals were probably in on it, it also meant there was someone else Sebastian could interrogate about what exactly was going on. Sword in hand, he advanced.

The farmhouse was surrounded by a stone wall, about six feet high. Inside the wall was the main house, a barn, and two small buildings which probably contained chickens or pigs. Sebastian bound Aqshy around him to form aethyric armour before invoking the Skywalk spell again. He didn't trust his wound not to open if he put more strain upon it. The temperature dropped abruptly as his spell finished. Gathering the winds in sufficient quantities to cast spells was not without risks. Side effects, sometimes very dangerous side effects, could occur. Such things had been the undoing of more than one College magister.

Sebastain floated over the wall. Loud barking greeted him and two dogs leapt from straw bedding on the porch of the main house to rush towards him. The Bright Wizard incanted a spell and drew upon the power of the Red Wind. A fireball smashed one dog in the face, the other in the side. Both fell. Sebestain finished the wounded one, which was whining piteously, as he crossed the yard.

He touched the door and invoked another spell. The Aqshy rushed around him and into the door, which exploded inwards in a shower of sparks and burning flinders. Sebastian strode through the wreckage and parried the swing from a cudgel wielding young man. The cudgel wielded heaved forward and backed the wizard into the wall. Sebastian muttered another spell and touched the young man's arm. He went limp and collapsed.

An older man stepped forward, spear in hand. Sebastian let his sword hover over the young man's throat. "Next step is his last."

"What do you want?" said the older man. He was broad shouldered and burly, his light brown hair and beard streaked with grey. Someone was probably already running for the neighbors, Sebastian thought. Not a whole lot of time.

"Clothes and answers. Or you all die." Orange light blazed in the wizard's eyes and the farmer took a step back. "What happens to the travellers you take at the inn?"

"I don't know-" Sebastian touched steel to the young man's throat.

"Don't lie to me or your son dies. And the women die bad deaths after I scorch you down. Now what do you do with the travellers?"

"We take them to the rock."

"You sacrifice them. To whom? The Dark Gods?"

"The beasts in the forest. So they will leave us in peace. Usually only one a season, but with the disturbances. . ." his voice trailed off. Disturbances? It was a wholesale invasion of the Empire. The slaves of darkness had almost sacked the City of the White Wolf before being defeated. Their army had scattered, but parts of it still menaced the Empire and the beastmen in the forest that had joined it were more active than ever.

"Alright," said Sebastian. "You're going to show me exactly where and in exchange I won't kill you."
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Sebastian really did develop since 'A Raven Among Crows'. He's acting admirably.
What is Project Zohar?

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Berend signalled Gottfried and Frederick to join them when they left the inn. "Bring your dogs," he told Frederick. "We're going to hunt down your mother's killer."

The stony faced young man nodded and headed for the kennels. Dieter was holding the wizard's tunic. It didn't take long for Frederick to return with three hunting dogs on leashes.

"Give them a wiff of that," said Berend. The hunter was already dangling it in front of the dogs. They tugged on the leashes, eagerly sniffing the wizard's sent off his clothes.

"Prep up," Berend ordered. He made sure the cap on his powder horn was secure and put a leather hood over the flint and firing pan of his Hochland Long Rifle. They weren't fast to reload by any means, but they shot straight, far, and hard which meant that if you were a good shot you didn't need more than one. Berend was good with all weapons.

The two dark haired hunters were waxing their bow strings to keep the water from soaking through. They wore thick cloaks and broad brimmed hats like Berend, but they were going to get soaked out there soon enough. Of course, the wizard would be even more miserable. If they didn't taken him first, Nurgle might take him. Of course, they couldn't take the chance that he'd survive and make trouble. Even if blood didn't cry out for blood.

Frederick, the innkeeper's son, had the beginnings of a beard and short blonde hair. He wore a hat and cloak like the rest of them and carried a spear and a stout cudgel. Gottfried was one of Johann's bailiffs, a steady man in most situations but he hadn't hunted wizards before. His reddish-brown beard was marred by a long scar down his left cheek. He wore leather armour under his tabard and a broad brimmed metal helmet. A sword and a cudgel were belted across his waist and he was waxing up the string of a crossbow, but was a horrible shot.

"Nothing fancy," Berend said. "Get a shot take it. If he lives long enough to go up the hill that's a bonus. We've already got three. We don't have to have four. Just put him down. Hard." The other men nodded.

The dogs were eager to, despite the rain. Maybe they could smell the excitement on the men. Either way, they caught the sent soon enough and lead Berend's band through the woods towards Freigarten.

Berend smiled as he realized they were going towards town. Here, going deep into the woods was likely to be an unprepared man's death. The wizard knew that he couldn't have gone back, otherwise he would have. Something must be stirring farther down the road. That meant he was going to try to pass around the town and head up to the next stop on the road. That was the best possible choice for Berend, the worst for the wizard. They would get him soon enough.

"I got a look at him without his shirt," Dieter said loudly, trying to be heard over the rain. "He's got a half healed wound in his side. He'll be cold and wet. Slow."

Berend smiled, showing white teeth. "Good. With a little luck we'll catch him soon enough we can take a turn with the woman." Dieter smiled back. She was going to die soon enough, she might as well do the living some good before she went.

The dogs started barking louder. "I think we're getting close!" Frederick shouted. Things looked different at night, but Berend thought they were getting close to the edge of the woods. They broke out into the tilled fields and meadows surrounding Freigarten. If there had been more light, Berend would have been able to see the walled houses of the farmers who lived outside of Freigarten's walls.

The dogs strained at the leashes, barking excitedly. "That's the Brehn farmstead," Gottfried rumbled.

"Might be hiding there," said Dieter. "Or stopped to steal."

"Maybe we can warm our bones after we shoot him and still have time to get a turn at the girl," said Gottfried with a grin. Even in the poor light, the bailiff's rotten teeth weren't a pretty sight.

"Let's just hurry up and kill the bastard," Berend rumbled.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The unconscious travellers had their weapons removed and their hands and feet tied. Ditmar and Bruno, two more of Johann's bailiffs, slung them onto the horses while cursing the rain. A quick round of rock-paper-scissors resulted in Ditmar's rock beating Bruno's scissors and so Ditmar headed inside to let Johann know they were ready to go.

Warmth seeped into Ditmar's body as he reentered the inn. Johann was sipping a mug of mulled cider when his henchmen entered. The lanky haired Ditmar edged crabwise over to the fire. Gods it was good to be warm again. "Got them tied up sir."

"Good. We'll leave shortly." Johann's eyes flickered over Franz and his daughters. He sighed and raised the mug, draining the last of it. "I suppose we should get this over with." He slammed the mug down, got his hat and his oilskin cloak, and then picked up the lantern on the bar. He then went outside.

Johann swung up on to the saddle of his own bay. Managing the horses with the captives was the job of his retainers. He raised his left hand and then lowered it, signalling the advance. The went down the path and joined the main road and followed it up.

Just before the trees stopped and they emerged into the cleared land around Freigarten, Johann turned onto a small game trail. The overhanging tree branches shielded them from the rain, but intensified the darkness. The followed slowly.

The trail turned and wandered deeper into the forest. They could feel eyes on them everywhere. Hands strayed to the hilts of weapons. The trail then twisted again, heading up the side of a tree covered hill. They followed the path up.

At the top of the hill was a crown of tall and ancient oaks, arrayed in a circle. Their heavy branches and leaves blotted out most of the sky. In front of one tree was a stone menhir, three yards high. It was hard to tell in the darkness, but it was covered in ancient rusty stains and inscribed with countless runes. The two foot high ring of skulls around the menhir's base was much more noticeable.

"Make them ready," said Johann. "Excepting the woman, of course." His eyes wandered over to a great and twisted horn hanging from the branch of a nearby tree. "We don't have all night."
dajohu
Redshirt

Post by dajohu »

I've been lurking on sd.net for quite a while and just now signed up and I must say I really like your writing. Looking forward to the next installment.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Foreshadowing is good.
What is Project Zohar?

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Sebastian threw a heavy cloak over two layers of tunics, courtesy of his murderous hosts. Traitorous scum, betraying their fellow men to the beasts of the woods for a sliver of safety instead of fighting. "Please just let my son go," said a woman with a lined face and silver in her blonde hair.

"Shut up," said the wizard. He kept the tip of his sword by the young man's throat. "I'm inclined to burn you all here and now. Be thankful that I'm not like you." He gestured for the farmer to come towards him.

The farmer nodded, his expression bleak. "Let's go," said Sebastian. Cold air gusted through the empty doorway, carrying with it the faint sounds of dog barks. The wizard turned his head for a moment, trying to be sure of what he heard. The farmer took advantage of Sebastian's distraction by lunging forward.

The wizard's sword came up and the farmer couldn't abort his rush. The blade slid into his sternum and came out farmer's back. He clutched at Sebastian and fell back, taking the sword with him.

"No!" screamed the farmer's son and lunged up at Sebastian. He swung at the wizard's groin, but hit his thigh instead.

"Sigmar," Sebastian cursed as he drew his dagger and landed knees first on the young man.

"Help us!" the farm wife screamed as she ran out the door. "Please, help us!"

Sebastain stabbed him in the belly and then again in the lung. He twisted the blade and pulled it out. The farmer moan and twisted under him and blood coated his hands. The barking had gotten louder. Time to fight or die.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The bailiffs took Kargun off the horse and took the dwarf over to a tree. They tied a pair of loops around the trunk and his legs and then another pair of loops around his arms. Johann watched and took a hit from a small metal flask in his pocket. The dragged Richart's semi-conscious body over to another tree and repeated the procedure.

Johann screwed the cap back on his flask. "Get her ready," he ordered. "I have to see a man about a horse. When I'm done, you can have your turns." He walked out of the circle of trees and undid the laces of his breeches.

Ditmar and Bruno did rock-paper-scissors again. Ditmar's paper beat Bruno's rock. "Twice," Bruno grumbled.

"Learn to play better," said Ditmar. "Now help me with this bitch." He hauled Marieta off the horse. "Hmmm. How to do this?"

"Free her legs, leave her hands tied," said Bruno. "She's a drugged bitch. No need for nothing fancy. Unless your afraid."

"Morr take you," said Ditmar. "Hold her up will you?"

"Yeah, sure," said Bruno. He put his hands on the Tilean mercenary's sides and held her somewhat steady. "This is funner when the ain't wearing a mail shirt. Hells, its funner when they ain't wearing anything at all."

"Soon enough," said Ditmar as he slit the ropes around her legs. He looked at her soaked breeches. "Easier to just cut them-". He fell back, curling up and gasping when Marieta's boot smashed him in the sternum.

"Huh?" said Bruno as she spun out of his hands. The Tilean mercenary wasn't a small woman and she had only had a half mug of drugged ale. It had been enough tto make her drowsy and weak for a while. She had bided her time and hoarded her strength, waiting for the right moment. Now.

Bruno reached for his cudgel as Marieta raked the blade of the dagger she had taken from his belt across the tops of his thighs. Bruno screamed and back peddled as Ditmar, still wheezing, attempted to regain his feet.

Marieta kicked him in the face. Hard. Ditmar was knocked back and rolled a dozen feet down the hill before he tried regaining his feet. A bullet buzzed its way past Marieta's ear as Johann discharged his pistol at her. She sprinted for edge the ring of trees and cover of the woods. Johann drew his other pistol and swore softly as he failed to get a clean shot before the Tilean disappeared into the woods.

"I take one moment to take a piss and this is what happens?" he screamed at his retainers. "What are you waiting for? Run that bitch down and bring her back. Dead or alive. Move!"
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Ah, the problems of dealling with trained mercenaries. Couldn't have seen it coming.
What is Project Zohar?

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

"Door's open," said Gottfried.

"Door's gone," corrected Dietar.

Berend took the leather cover off his long rifle. "Alright. Gottfried, Fredrick, move up with the dogs. We'll cover you." Hans and Dieter nocked arrows and moved up towards the wall.

The gate rattled and opened. "Help!" Frida Brehn cried as she staggered forward. "Help!"

"Move!" Berend shouted over the rain. Gottfried and Fredrick rushed up as Berend crouched by the gate and the hunters joined him. The dogs barked excitedly as they rushed for the house.

Sebastian stood beside the doorway and breathed in deeply. The wizard was wrapped in a warm aura of Aqshy and in his left hand he held his sword. In his right hand was the blazing blade of The Flaming Sword of Rhuin. His familiar alighted on the back of a nearby chair. If I live through this, I've really got to come up with a name for you, Sebastain thought.

The lead dog rushed through the door. The Sword of Rhuin struck half way down its spine and cut the animal nearly in half. Blood and smoke poured from the wound as the dog fell. Plain steel went through the ribs of the closest dog. Blood spurted from the wound and the dog's mouth and it fell. The third leaped upon Sebastian, tearing at the wizard's throat.

The impact knocked Sebastian back. The Flaming Sword of Rhuin flickered in his grasp and collapsed into spark. The dog's jaws failed to find purchase on Sebastian's armour of magic. The wizard kept his feet and pushed the dog back. He thrust with the point and his sword took the dog in the neck.

Fredrick was only a few steps behind the dogs. He burst in to find his dogs dying and the wizard just a few yards away. He drew back to thrust with his spear and then a dark shape was flying at his eyes, cawing and raking with its talons. He threw up his hands to shield his face and felt the claws cut flesh. Then red hot pain shot through his gut.

Sebastian withdrew his blade from the belly of the dying man. The distraction his familiar had provided had proven to be fatal but it wasn't over yet. Gottfried came through in boy's wake. He didn't spare more than a glance for the mortally wounded boy. A swing of his sword was enough to dissuade Sebastian's familiar and in his other hand the bailiff wielded a stout cudgel suitable for parrying or crushing skulls.

Sebastian shouted the words of a spells. Two balls of scarlet flame struck the bailiff in the chest, searing through his chest and leather armour to char his heart and lungs. Heated air blasted out of his throat in what sounded like a scream and Gottfried toppled back.

Sebastian breathed a sigh of relief and ducked his head around the corner to peer outside. He caught a glimpse of the hunters and then heard the crack of gunfire. The bullet struck the door frame and sent splinters bouncing off his armour of Aqshy. He pulled back and swore. "Sigmar's bones!"

The men outside could use the wall for cover and bows and guns. He would half to expose himself to enemy fire to cast at them. He headed toward the back of the farmhouse, uttering the words to renew the his armour of magic.

Berend snarled and began to reload his rifle. "Circle around and make sure he doesn't go out the back," he said.

"Why don't you do it?" Dieter replied bitingly. They couldn't shoot bows over the wall, which meant they would be exposed to fire from the house. Dieter had no desire to burn.

"Use the barn as cover and run," Berend snarled. It's dark. He won't see you. Now one of you better move your ass or I'll put an axe in it."

Dieter made a motion to Hans and the silent hunter nodded before darting into the darkness. "Now what?" asked Dieter.

"Now we see how much he really likes playing with fire," said Berend.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Marieta ran through the woods, branches and brambles whipping at her face. She needed time, just a little time, and she could begin equaling the odds. Myrmidia and Verena please, just a little time.

She half stumbled down the side of a hill and stopped behind a tree, panting. She still clutched the dagger she had taken. Impatiently, she began working at the ropes around her wrist, biting back a curse as she cut herself. Gods, gods, gods, she was free. And armed.

She moved now, slowly and quietly, circling the hill. Coming at them from behind would be best, getting Kargun and Richart free first would be better. Further up the hill and to her right she heard the trees rustled. She moved behind the closest tree and froze. Just the wind. Gods, it was too damn dark and too much bloody wind. How could she find anything in this?

She calmed down. Her pursuers would have the same problem, perhaps even have worse than the same problem. She continued moving slowly and found a good sized fallen branch. A few dagger strokes and her improvised club was workable. Better.

A shadow moved ahead. She froze, heart pounding. It wasn't human. It walked upright like a man, but no man had a muzzle and backward projecting horns. A beastman. It passed back into darkness.

She had no time. The sacrifice made sense now, an bribe to the beastmen to leave the village alone. If she didn't free Kargun and Richart quickly they would both die deaths to hideous to contemplate. She began to climb up the hill.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Berend threw a torch into the open front room. It bounced on the floor and landed on the carpet. He smiled. A perfect shot on the first try. The carpet caught quickly and the fire began to spread. Time to find out how much that wizard really loved fire.

Sebastian was considering bolting out the back door, hesitating only because that would be the obvious move and it was likely covered by bowmen. He calmed himself and began channelling Aqshy, guarding himself once again with armour woven from the Red Wind.. He breathed in deeply, flung open the back door and ran.

Hans, who was watching the doorway while pressed against the barnwall, saw him leave. He drew back his bowstring. His his shot went wild, just clipping the sorcerer and deflecting off the armour of magic. He clawed for another arrow.

The raven shrieked and flew through the night air. It saw Hans and swooped, cawing. Sebastian turned his head, pausing in his flight. He tried to gather Aqshy for a spell, but the Red Wind was no friend of water and wouldn't come fast enough. Hans fended off the bird with a gloved hand, brushing the raven's body. The bird retreated from the contact.

Hans turned back to Sebastian, seeing a clear shot. He renocked the arrow and drew back his bow string. Too late. Sebastian had been able to gather enough Aqshy around him, the flow growing stronger as the house fire attracted more of the Red Wind. Excess magic manifested itself in worms of yellow and pink light writhing at the ground around Sebastian's feet. The wizard didn't care about the side effects of his spell. Fist sized crimson fireballs leapt from his hand. One struck Hans in the left thigh. The other struck the hunter in the face. He fell.

Sebastian ran. He had so little time. He utter the Skywalk spell and cleared the fence. He heard the report of a gun behind him, but the bullet had missed. He dropped below the fence and circled around towards the front, using it as cover. Ahead his familiar was making a ruckus above one part of the wall. Sebastian pressed ahead.

Dieter waited patiently. Let the wizard's familiar make the noise, that would only draw the wizard to him. One shot through the chest from his bow would drop a knight at close range, he imagined a wizard would fare similarly.

Movement flashed ahead, a shape in the darkness. Dieter fired, realizing as he did so what he was firing at was an empty cloak, held at arms length by Sebastian. He drew another arrow. Sebastian finished his spell. Crimson fireballs struck him in the chest and pain became his world. He fell over, screaming horsley and rolling to extinguish the flames.

He hurt, but he lived. Oh Taal, the pain was horrific, but he lived. Then steel ripped through his right shoulder as Sebastian stabbed down through he flesh. The sword grated on bone and the tip emerged out the front. The wizard withdrew his sword. "Take your time dying," the Sebastian cursed. "You'll be sitting with Morr's brother in hell soon enough."

Berend hefted his rifle and advanced cautiously. He had heard the screams, but where in the hells was the wizard? Moans were coming from ahead. He approached, searching the darkness for any sign of the wizard. Nothing. He came closer. It was Dieter and he was in bad way.

The hunter was moaning in pain. It was too dark to see how badly he had been hit. Slowly, Berend approached. "Where is he?" he hissed.

Dieter moaned in reply.

"Sigmar take you!" Berend exclaimed. "Where is the wizard?" A raven cawed ahead of him. The wizard had a bird with him. He scanned the wall and the darkness in front of him. To the hells with this, he should cut his loses. He turned around and saw Sebastian. The wizard was already casting.

A part of Berend's brain realized that he had been tricked, that the wizard had used Dieter's cries as a lure so he could circle around the farm house wall and take him from behind. He almost had his rifle aimed at the target. Then fire erupted from the wizard's outstretched hand. His powder horn detonated almost instantly and he knew a brief instant of pain and then there was nothing.
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2006-11-30 06:48am, edited 1 time in total.
Brain_Caster
Youngling

Post by Brain_Caster »

BOOM!!! Hehehe.. .

Sebastian is really giving them hell.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Don't mess with wizards, I think is the moral of the story.
What is Project Zohar?

The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Nomad »

Ford Prefect wrote:Don't mess with wizards, I think is the moral of the story.
That's why I love mages.
And familiars kick ass, too.
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

Excellent story so far ... and it's more ass-kicking than the previous story.

Nice job.
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

The Nomad wrote: And familiars kick ass, too.
I had to avoid picking the really cool familiar powers to avoid making it too easy.

And since my connection is actually working, more carnage!
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2006-11-30 07:45am, edited 1 time in total.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Marieta crept up the hill, circling around. The presence of beastmen meant she had little time, but acting recklessly would doom them. She had to be smart about this.

The easiest path of approach would be to circle behind the trees that held Richart and Kargun and then free them both from the cover of the forest. Since her options were limited to either doing that or crossing the clearing, it was obvious which one she would take and thus obvious what the enemy would do. They would set up, ready to ambush her path of approach.

Her enemy had problems of his own. The rain and darkness diminished both sight and hearing. Spotting Marieta's approach would be difficult, so he would have to be in a position that offered a very good view of the approaches as well as providing cover.

Marieta approached the edge of the clearing, skirting the edge of the path that lead into it. She could see no one inside the circle and barely make out the light glinting off Richart's armour. She sidled around, moving counter clockwise and staying close to the clearing. Her gaze darted around and up, probing for the ambush.

There it was. Waiting in a tree, maybe ten feet up with a clear view of approach up the hill and hidden from direct view, on the off chance she would look up. He must think himself clever, but he wasn't quite clever enough.

If she had her crossbow or her tickler, taking care of him would be easy but she had neither with her. It was time to improvise. She didn't have much beside her improvised club, mail shirt, stolen dagger, and the pieces of rope that she had been bound with. Pieces of rope that could be tied together to form a coil of usable length. What could she do with that? Hmmm.

Fuck it, she though and picked up a nearby rock. The target was close, she had a good view of his head, and a lot of practice in her wild childhood as a mercenary brat. She drew back her arm and let loose.

The stone clipped Johann in the head, sending him tumbling out of the tree. Marieta charged him, club raised. He was crouched over shaking his head and fumbling for his gun when she arrived. The Tilean woman smashed Johann hard in the back, sending him sprawling on his belly. She hit him again and again. He groaned and rolled away. Unfortunately, he rolled right into his gun.

Johann rolled over it and fumbled for it as it got clear of his body. The mail and leather he was wearing took a lot of the force out of Marieta's blows, enough that he was still able to fight instead of lying sprawled with broken bones. That didn't mean he wasn't hurt.

Marieta struck his left shoulder, numbing his arm as he reached for the gun. She then stomped on his fingers. He howled as he felt bones break. He reached for her leg with his right. She kicked him in the face first. He fell back, his nose spurting blood. Then her club connected solidly with his temple and then there was nothingness.

Marieta stripped her kill of weapons, sliding Johann's sword into her belt and taking the pistol, powder, and shot. Coin could wait. She headed towards her comrades. She slashed Kargun's bonds first, not that the wet rope parted easily under her blade. The dwarf almost fell over. He could barely stand. She turned to cut Richart loose and she saw it.

The beastman had been stealthy, very stealthy. It was barely three yards from her, its pick like weapon raised to punch its spike through her skull. It was closer to seven feet than six, with a pair of long horns projecting back away from its goat like skull. Teeth that a hunting cat would be proud to own filled its maw and it wore improvised armour of small metal plates and scales riveted to leather over its dark fur.

Marieta raised the pistol and fired, but she was inexperienced with gunpowder weapons. The recoil was much greater than she expected and the shot went high and wide and then the beastman was upon her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Frida Brehn wept as she watched her house burn. "Please Shallya, please," she blubbered to the goddess of mercy, "let my children get out. Please." Through the veil of rain and her own tears she saw someone approach. She looked up.

"Get up," Sebastian sneered, naked steel in his hand. "You're going to take me to the sacrifice hill or I'll run you through here and now."