NHL 2006/2007 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:How are my glorious Flames doing this year?
They're doing about as well as Philadelphia. Which is to say they're in a 3-way tie for 2nd last place in the league.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

I am much more pleased with this Flames loss than the previous 3. Some effort at last. Tanguay and Langkow produced as well.
In Omnia Paratus.
Peace. Order. Good government.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Phoenix Coyotes, the perfect remedy for a team coming off a bummer of an OT loss.

I have also heard that Vitaly Vishnevski is continuing is reign of terror on the East Coast, delivering many crushing hits. This pleases me greatly.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Phoenix Coyotes, the perfect remedy for a team coming off a bummer of an OT loss.
Hey now, you never know when Gretzky will pull a magic win out of the hat. :wink:
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

RedImperator wrote:Wow. If I had actually paid for my tickets to last night's game, I would have been really mad.
Maybe you should go back to cheering for the Philadelphia Eagles, sure they're not exactly winning big but at least they're at 500!
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

muse wrote:
RedImperator wrote:Wow. If I had actually paid for my tickets to last night's game, I would have been really mad.
Maybe you should go back to cheering for the Philadelphia Eagles, sure they're not exactly winning big but at least they're at 500!
Not only that, I know for sure they won't lose this week!

Bah, Philadelphia sports. The Phillies missed the playoffs again, the Sixers are a .500 team at best, the Eagles keep finding innovative new ways to lose, and the Flyers just plain suck. At least Villanova basketball is starting up in a week. So my sports hopes haven't been totally dashed yet.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

I loved that total BS call that took away the hated Oilers goal.
In Omnia Paratus.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

And the Leafs hand Buffalo their first loss in regulation time. This was by far the best game the Leafs have played all year especially in the 2nd period. Great hustle and work by the forwards to keep the Sabres pinned in their own end and a few lucky bounces where we connected and they didn't. Great game, I didn't think we'd pull it off until the last 2-3 minutes.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Wow, that was just a disgusting, embarrassing, unforgivable error by McGeough.

However! It is clearly poetic justice for that BULLSHIT CALL on that BULLSHIT HEMSKY GOAL in BULLSHIT GAME SIX OF THE WCQFs last year. Basically, McGeough should be fired; his flair for the dramatic is not the kind of controversy the game needs.

Wings win sixth in a row against weakling Blue Jackets. Offensive powerhouse Dan Cleary chipped in with two goals. :)
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Alot of people were calling the Leafs a bad team this season. I don't know why...

Kaberle, McCabe, Kubina isn't a bad top 3 to have on defence. And I, personally, never wrote off Raycroft to the extent others did. I like giving players a second chance. Maybe a third if they are lucky.
In Omnia Paratus.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

It's good at first glance, but when you look at the stats it's not so good. The Leafs have one of the worst goals against for the entire league and the only reason they're not in dead last is because they also have one of the best goals for. Both of our goalies are still somewhat inconsistent, sometimes they come up big like yesterday but then they spend the next couple games letting in weak goals. I think it was Raycroft who went behind the net to pick up a puck, then passed it to the opposing player who then got an easy empty net goal. Our defence & goalies have made a lot of bad plays behind the net and in their own zone, I don't think they fully understand the speed of the players in today's game. Plus they're slow, I've lost track of how many times our defencemen have been forced to take hooking penalties to keep forwards from skating right by them.

On the bright side we now have Mike Peca for our penalty kill, he's good at faceoffs and also a better defenceman than our actual defencemen. We'd be totally fucked without him on our penalty kills. Wellwood's having a breakout year now that he's on the top line and Stajan's doing quite well too. If the young guys keep playing well we should make it to the playoffs this year.

I now know how Tucker's getting all those goals, he cherrypicks on the side of the net and bangs in passes & rebounds. They showed a clip yesterday and he must've scored a good 8 goals that way.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Wow, that was just a disgusting, embarrassing, unforgivable error by McGeough.

However! It is clearly poetic justice for that BULLSHIT CALL on that BULLSHIT HEMSKY GOAL in BULLSHIT GAME SIX OF THE WCQFs last year. Basically, McGeough should be fired; his flair for the dramatic is not the kind of controversy the game needs.

Wings win sixth in a row against weakling Blue Jackets. Offensive powerhouse Dan Cleary chipped in with two goals. :)
Mr. McGeough has also been involved in more games that have gotten out of control than any other referee I've ever seen. He was even the guy who managed to get the Sharks and Avalanche (that year, the least penalized team in hockey and the third least penalized team) to brawl during a playoff game in Denver a couple years ago by not calling any penalties when the Avs started playing dirty (including a VICIOUS slash by the goalie on a prone player after a goal was scored and the play was clearly over).
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

RedImperator wrote:
muse wrote:Maybe you should go back to cheering for the Philadelphia Eagles, sure they're not exactly winning big but at least they're at 500!
Not only that, I know for sure they won't lose this week!
Sure, and they have no chance of winning either!

Looking at the NHL standings it appears the Flyers are now dead last. This is great news for Leafs fans since if we make it into the playoffs this year we won't have to worry about being knocked out by Philly. :D
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

A couple of other hockey message boards I take a look at have a thing where anythimg McGeough is mentioned in a thread someone posts a picture of Mr. Magoo (an elderly cartoon character who suffers from extreme nearsightedness for those not in the know).
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Garden Gnome

:lol:
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

You know I've always thought his name was spelled "Magoo" like the mostly blind cartoon guy instead of the actual spelling of "McGeough". Learn something new every day...
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I am about 11 hours away from seeing Crosby and Malkin play for the first time. Im excited and nervous at the same time. First time I saw Ovechkin he scored all three of his teams goals in a 3-2 OT win, and the first time I saw Anze Kopitar (his first NHL game at that) he lit us up for two before we got back on top of 'em.

Whee! I'm going tonight (vs. PIT), Sunday the 12th (vs MIN on Moms Birthday, little brother's Scouts night), Nov 15th (vs PHI on my birthday), Nov 19th (vs PHX on middle brother's birthday), and hopefully I can squeeze one in on the 17th! HOT DAMN I LOVE LIVING DRIVING DISTANCE FROM A FRANCHISE. I've been to well over 50 hockey games at NHL,AHL, and ECHL level since 2003 began after only making it to one the first 20 years of my life.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Just got back from tonight's Duck game, where the Ducks tied the NHL record for consecutive games with a standings point (15 games, 26 points, 11-0-4). A road trip to Vancouver and Calgary (and we never seem to play well at either venue despite having "1 game winning streaks" at both venues) is followed by a game with the Wild on Nov 12th. Going to be tough to get points.

Even though we won though, watching Crosby and Malkin was awesome. Right up there with when I saw Ovechkin last year.

Darth Garden Gnome

LOSE ALREADY DUCKIES. SHEESH.

Also: Ilya Kovalchuk is a beast. Hardest shot in the league, easily, and he drilled three one-timers through Tim Thomas to beat the B's the other night. Very impressive.
General Trelane (Retired)
Jedi Knight

Post by General Trelane (Retired) »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:
Wow, that was just a disgusting, embarrassing, unforgivable error by McGeough.

It would be poetic justice but for the storm of BS calls against the Oilers all through that same playoff run.
Time makes more converts than reason. -- Thomas Paine, Common Sense, 1776
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Also: Ilya Kovalchuk is a beast. Hardest shot in the league, easily, and he drilled three one-timers through Tim Thomas to beat the B's the other night. Very impressive.
If Al MacInnis used a one-piece stick he'd totally school Kovalchuk with his slapshot. MacInnis was nailing slapshots at over 100mph with a wooden stick.
Darth Garden Gnome

aerius wrote:If Al MacInnis used a one-piece stick he'd totally school Kovalchuk with his slapshot. MacInnis was nailing slapshots at over 100mph with a wooden stick.
Yes, if Al MacInnis, Al Iafrate, and Bobby Hull all got together for a shoot around they'd put poor Ilya to shame, but guess what? THEY'RE NOT HERE ANYMORE. :P
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

MacInnis actually just got a desk job with the Blues if that means anything. :wink:

I find myself confused, Versus' coverage of games actually seems to have improved somewhat. Although I could just still be a little giddy over the fact that most of their games end up on INHD and I can watch them with the most beautiful picture my TV can muster.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

16*

Ok ok I put the Asterisk in there, if we had been held to the same standards the old Edmonton Oilers record did our streak would have stopped at 12 and I recognize that. But I can still bask in a 6-0 asskicking of the Canucks. Still concerned about Calgary and Minnesota though...

Darth Garden Gnome

Yes, yes, your Ducks are quite absurd. :razz:

And I imagine that the streak won't be around to break when they come and visit Detroit in January. A pity!