College Football 2006

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I was just reading an article yesterday on how 'Bamma has been doing in the Shula era. I had thought he was doing better than he is but I think that part of that is I had expected him to suck ass when he was hired (based on his NFL coaching days) but he initially did okay considering the situation that he came into. Now it just looks like he isn't doing all that well or he's getting his ass kicked in the recruiting game. Given how Auburn has been doing the last few years I think that the recruiting game at least has something to do with Shula's problems at 'Bamma.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Tsyroc wrote:The other shocking outcome on my NCAA football radar was Arziona defeating Washington State. I have no idea where Arizona pulled that one from but it's probably the same place they pulled last year's ass whoopin' of UCLA.

I do believe they play Cal next so I'm just hoping they take a respectable shelacking instead of a major league beating. If they do better than that then great. 8)
I find interesting the continuing string of injuries to teams immediately after they play U of A. Especially after seeing the questionably sportsmanlike late hits on UCLA quarterbacks, I think one can objectively say that Lil' Stoops is not running as clean a program as he could be.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

My alma mater, Rutgers, just squeaked by Loiusville! I don't care, it's a victory! Piscataway is gonna burn tonight!

Ahem, not from me, though. From the 40,000 fans on the field right now. Jebus.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Oh man. The BCS is fucked.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

So if Rutgers goes Unbeaten, should they get a title shot?

Jesus Christ are we talking about Rutgers and National Titles?

Will Batman and Robin escape their peril at the hands of the Joker?

Fuck it, let's just move up Michigan and Ohio State to Jan 4th and make that the NAtional title/Big Ten title game. That would be just as good as anything else.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Garden Gnome

The Big Ten does not have a title game. :wink:

I guess we can expect CarsonPalmer in here tomorrow with Notre Dame national title aspirations in his eyes...

I'm sure everyone else will be more than ready to hop aboard the Texas bandwagon. In any case, I would like to reiterate how completely fucked Rutgers has made the BCS.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:The Big Ten does not have a title game. :wink:
Yes it does, it's called Michigan vs. Ohio State ;-) I know they don't have an offcial title game but unless these two teams have a rematch it would be hard not to pick the winner of that game to win it all this year.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

With Louisville's BCS title game hopes going down in explosive fashion, it looks as though Texas and Florida will be battling it out for the #3 spot, with just .002 of a point separating the two as things currently stand. Imagine a Texas/Ohio State rematch for the BCS title. Yes, I know it's a long shot.
Darth Fanboy wrote:So if Rutgers goes Unbeaten, should they get a title shot?
Wouldn't that be something? I can just imagine coaches and commissioners from the "power conferences" bitching up a storm about that. I'd love to see Rutgers make a run at it, but I just think there are too many teams above them, and they need a lot to fall into place, so it's a longshot. I love to see the underdog win, though, so go Rutgers.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

It looks like Rutgers plays W. Viginia on December 2nd. That could be a very important game for both teams.

I'm rather shocked that Rutgers shut out Louisville in the second half. That's pretty impressive (or Louisville really shit the bed).
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Holy fuck, I hope we're able to get Schiano back!
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

If Rutgers goes Unbeaten, They will have beaten West Virginia on the road. Between that and their beating Navy and Pittsburgh on the road combined with their comeback against Louisville and I don't see how they could get denied if they finish perfect. The Big East is better than most people give it credit for, especially this year. Plus, I hate hearing about one-loss schools and how they bitch about not getting to go. YOU LOST. Why any one loss team from a major conference should eclipse an unbeaten team from another major conference is beyond me.

irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

There's a huge rumor floating around East Lansing suggesting that Pat Shurmur has been hired as the next MSU coach. A few posters on Michigan State fan forums who have good connections within the Athletic Department have reported it, but there has been no official confirmation. A lot of State fans are not happy with this prospect.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Howedar wrote: I find interesting the continuing string of injuries to teams immediately after they play U of A. Especially after seeing the questionably sportsmanlike late hits on UCLA quarterbacks, I think one can objectively say that Lil' Stoops is not running as clean a program as he could be.
Sorry I didn't catch your post earlier.

I hadn't paid that much attention to Arizona's season to have noticed the injuries you've mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised though. So far Stoop's main thing is aggressivness and if you mix that into the team kind of sucking you have a lot of potential for problems. Playing harder and more aggressive isn't always the answer but in football it makes up for a lot.

Personally I was always kind of iffy on Mike Stoops as a head coach. I was a kid back in Iowa when the Stoops brothers played at Iowa and I always remember Bobby Stoops being the better and smarter player but playing and coaching don't always match up. Anyway, Stoops is still better than having Makovich but I won't expect him around after next year if the team doesn't at least threaten to have a 500 record.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

I don't disagree, presumably at some point the boosters down there will say to themselves, "Hey... yeah, this guy is named Stoops but this is his first real coaching, maybe he's just not that good."

I just hope it happens before dirty hits end the seasons of any more players.
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Oh man. The BCS is fucked.
What else is new? 8)
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Howedar wrote:I don't disagree, presumably at some point the boosters down there will say to themselves, "Hey... yeah, this guy is named Stoops but this is his first real coaching, maybe he's just not that good."

I just hope it happens before dirty hits end the seasons of any more players.
I'm not sure how well our boosters pay attention to football. As soon as it was pretty clear that the football team blew people were already making cracks about when was basketball going to start. Right now people are pretty much spanking it over the basketball team so unless the football team pulls a few shockers out of it's helmet I don't expect much talk about the football team again until next season.

It probably helps Stoops that Makovich was run out of town early as much for having a shitty record as for nearly the whole team hating his guts. Plus, the school had to pay Makovich off for leaving. Anyway, baring anything real serious coming up I figure Stoops will get to serve out the rest of his contract which I think is 5 years. Next year will be the 4th so his team better start making some waves in the Pac 10 by then.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

After saying all of that about Arizona last night they managed to upset Cal today. :D

It seems to be the week for upsets to be screwing with the BCS.

First Rutgers over Louisville, then Georgia over Auburn and now Arizona over Cal.

It'll be hilarious if the BCS has to take Rutgers in the Championship Game and Boise State in one of the other BCS bowls.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

When multiple Willie interceptions get nullified by "pass interference" with the flags thrown after the picks, I'm not surprised.
Darth Garden Gnome

Michigan and Ohio State hold up their ends of the bargain today. Nothing can stop Armageddon now. 8)
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

What's really going to be interesting is who's going to be right under them waiting for their shot.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

The losses of Texas, Cal and Auburn really throw things into confusion. Florida kept their dreams alive. I'm starting to wonder if maybe the OSU-Michigan game might happen twice. Now, THAT would be a crazy end to the season.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

I will just really laugh at the fact the Maryland, which looked abysmal losing to WVa and then surrendering the game to GaTech, could possibly come back, wind up in the orange bowl and get themselves into the top 10 because it seems like the surest way to get yourself a loss is to be ranked 3-10.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I saw that Florida got fucked over a bit by the new BCS with USC jumping them to take the 3rd places spot.

I'm also not entirely crazy about all the Notre Dame love after they beat Army. :roll:

If the eventual SEC champion finishes with only one loss I don't see how they can be bumped from the BCS Championship game by anything but two undefeated teams. I just don't see Notre Dame, USC, or any others (as one loss teams) being better than a one loss SEC team.

BCS Poll 11/12/2006

1 Ohio State
2 Michigan
3 USC
4 Florida
5 Notre Dame
6 Rutgers
7 Arkansas
8 West Virginia
9 Wisconsin
10 Louisville
11 LSU
12 Boise State
13 Texas
14 Auburn
15 California
16 Wake Forest
17 Oklahoma
18 Georgia Tech
19 Maryland
20 Boston College
21 Virginia Tech
22 Tennessee
23 Nebraska
24 Oregon
25 Brigham Young
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

I'm amused that UMd is 21 in both AP and Coaches polls yet 19 on the BCS standings. Oh well playing BC this week should sort that out.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Several teams on the list still have to play each other so it should continue to be interesting.

I do wonder if the OSU Michigan is closely played and decided by a point or two whether they might end up in a rematch. I hope that's not the case but the BCS has had at least one rematch in the past (Florida vs. FSU).
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.