NFL Football Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

NmEnforcer
Redshirt

Post by NmEnforcer »

Fairly crazy week in football.

The Steelers continue to strive at showing how bad of a football team they are.
The Redskins get out of a slum with a crazy field goal block, ridiculous return, and insane kick to over come the Cowboys is the last few seconds.
The Colts didn't play as bad as the Patriots and somehow pulled out a 'win.'
The second lowest ranked football team in the NFL (lowest in the AFC), the Dolphins, destroyed the number one ranked Chicago Bears. (Based on previous weeks power rankings.)
San Francisco pulled out a 'win' as well....but oh god it was ugly.

I am a Redskins fan, so I was jumping up and down at the end of their game.

Picks for Week 10:
(using the same format as seen before)

Ravens>Titans
Redskins>Eagles
Lions>49ers
Bengals>Chargers
Patriots>Jets
Chiefs>Dolphins
Jaguars>Texans
Packers>Vikings
Falcons>Browns
Colts>Bills
Broncos>Raiders
Saints>Steelers
Rams>Seahawks
Cardinals>Cowboys *upset of the week
Bears>Giants
Panthers>Bucs

The only matchup that looks like it will be close is the Rams at Seahawks. The Redskins at Eagles game will be worth watching. It'll be another one of those 'whoever screws up less will probably win' games.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:playing the bears... Why? Because No team wants to be the 'one' to break a NFL record 7 game loosing streak.
That's what they were saying about the Cardinals before they lost to the incredibly shitty Raiders.

And you think 7 games is an NFL record? Lemme introduce you to the expansion-year Tampa Bay Bucs. There is no way Arizona will match that streak of 26 straight losses (0-14 their first season, 0-12 to start their second before winning their final two games).
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Happens every year. Lions come out of nowhere to beat a far superior team for no reason. Bad news is they have SF, Arizona, and Miami coming up. The worst thing that could happen to the Lions is another 5-11 season.
The Falcons are superior to the Lions? I think not, though I fucked up and picked them. The Lions are better at QB and pass defense. I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit went 7-9 or maybe 8-8. Having coaches who know what they're doing is worth a lot more than top 5 picks in the draft. Mike Martz is one of the best ever at handling quarterbacks and if Marinelli gets his way and they devote the next offseason to defense, this could be a Cinderella team next year.

On the negative side, Martz will probably get a head coaching job next year and the GM is still a moron. Random chance would make better selections than he would. He must have photos of the owner in a Bangkok hotel room with kids or something. Otherwise, there's no plausible explanation for why he keeps his job.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Elfdart wrote:Vikings > 49ers -the Vikings aren't nearly as bad as they looked last week but the Niners are
*AHEM* "Suck my balls Kyle." :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Well, despite their best efforts (led the way by cap'n clutch Adam Vinateri's two missed FGs) the Colts managed to not choke against the Pats and seal the win on the strength of 5 NE turnovers.
What do you mean "managed to not choke"? This is the second year in a row they beat them in Foxboro. They just came off another road win against one of the top 5 teams in the NFL and haven't lost since the playoffs last year to a Steelers team, that was on the hottest win streak in the past decade or so. Now the Eagles, they know how to choke. :wink:

And why is it that when ever a team has turnovers, people act like the defense has nothing to do with it and they are just handed the ball? Cato June made two great plays to get his two INTs. The first INT was a helluv a catch in the endzone made by a DB that played the pass better than the WR. The D earned that win along with the offense.

Sorry if I took your meaning wrong, by the way.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

havokeff wrote:What do you mean "managed to not choke"? This is the second year in a row they beat them in Foxboro.
Yeah, but the Pats were pretty crippled during that meeting, and Manning had no trouble taking them apart as a result. This was a far better match up, but for a while the Pats were hanging around as the Colts missed 2 or 3 opportunities to put points up on the board because of a missed FG, sack, and a turnover. It seemed like they were just waiting to choke again, but credit to Manning and the Colts for pulling it out.
And why is it that when ever a team has turnovers, people act like the defense has nothing to do with it and they are just handed the ball? Cato June made two great plays to get his two INTs. The first INT was a helluv a catch in the endzone made by a DB that played the pass better than the WR. The D earned that win along with the offense.
Trust me man, I've had plenty of opportunities to watch former Wolverine Cato June in action. I would never shortchange Cato or the Colt's defense for a well-earned win. :wink:

Now Vick's INT and fumble against the Lions were just ugly unforced errors. Which says more to Vick's shittiness than the Lions D (who I've seen torched for big plays too many times to consider good).
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

There are few things more satisfying than watching Vick get sacked or picked off. I get a warm happy feeling every time the Falcons lose.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

MIssed last week, but I would have blown anyway.
So here is this weeks money in the bank! :wink:

NY Jets at New England Jets
Washington at Philadelphia Redskins
Cleveland at Atlanta Falcolns
Kansas City at Miami Dolphins
Green Bay at Minnesota Packers
San Francisco at Detroit 49ers
Buffalo at Indianapolis Colts
Baltimore at Tennessee Ravens
Houston at Jacksonville Jaguars
San Diego at Cincinnati Chargers
Denver at Oakland Broncos
Dallas at Arizona Cardinals
St. Louis at Seattle Rams
New Orleans at Pittsburgh Saints
Chicago at NY Giants Giants
MON, NOV 13
Tampa Bay at Carolina Panthers

I will tell you that I REALLY want to pick Oakland.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

My picks have sucked lately. Were it not for one of the all-time great chokes by the Cowboys, last week would have gone from mediocre to bad.

Ravens > Titans
Colts > Bills
Falcons > Browns
Vikings > Packers
Chiefs > Dolphins -K.C. has quietly climbed into the playoff hunt
Patriots > Jets -put some glue on Kevin Faulk's hands!
Jaguars > Texans -didn't these teams just play?
Lions > 49ers -sorry to hear about Bill Walsh's illness
Eagles > Redskins -the Skins' luck was all used up against Dallas
Chargers > Bengals -the one good sign I've seen out of Cincy is Carson Palmer ripping Chris Henry a new one for pussying out and not even reaching for a pass. Other than that, the Ben-Gals have been nothing but a bunch of overgrown juvenile delinquents.

Broncos > Raitards -don't get me started
Cowboys > Cardinals -just crown the Cowboys, Denny!
Rams > Seahawks
Panthers > Buccaneers
Steelers > Saints -I get the feeling the Steelers still have enough to win a home game over the upstart Saints.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I think the Hawks will probably take the Rams. As much much as I want Tampa to win, I think Carolina is going to fuck their shit up.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Chargers down 38-28 at the end of the 3rd, what a crazy game [that I can't see, fucking updates is all I got; fucking Kansas >_<] Fucking pass coverage too.

edit: there's only 1 reason I'm in the mood to throw this link up: victory! 49-41. :D
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

So evidently, while on vacation on the beach, Andy Reid discovered an obscure, little-known rule in the NFL rule book that allows teams to advance the ball by--get this--handing the ball directly to the halfback. How about that, huh?
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

This game reminds me of a Monday Night game in 1982 when the Chargers were behind at halftime and won 50-34. Both QBs in that game threw for over 400 yards.

Tomlinson is on pace to score 40 TDs this season.

Edit: Since there are only 16 games, he's on pace for 32 TDs.
Last edited by Elfdart on 2006-11-12 11:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Buffalo and Baltimore really amazed me, especially with the borderline divine levels of luck associated with the blocked field goal.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

TWO IN A ROW BITCHES!!!! :D

If the Playoffs started today:
AFC
Colts
Chargers
Broncos
Ravens
Patriots
Jaguars

NFC
Bears
Giants
Saints
Seahawks
Eagles
Atlanta

In the AFC, the Jets can over take the Pats if the keep winning and the Pats stumble a few more times. I think in the AFC thats about all that might chnage.

Aside from the NFC North, there is alot of football left to be played in the NFC. There are only four teams, the Redskins, Lions, Cardinals and Buccaneers that are definetly out of the playoff hunt. Yes, the Niners are still in it.
My boys have a shot at the NFC west with 4 division games left, two which are against the leading Seahawks, and the second game against the Rams, who they already beat, and the second against the Cards. They also get a shot at the NFC south leading Saints. Could be interesting.

Teams that are DEAD despite thier fans insistance that they arent;
The Steelers, Bengals and Kansas City in the AFC and the Rams and Vikings
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The winners.

Rams
Buccaneers
Saints
Eagles
Bears
Dolphins
Chiefs
Packers
Browns
Ravens
Texans
Cardinals
49ers
Colts
Chargers
Giants
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

I was making my picks for the pool I'm in, and my five year old niece wanted to make picks. So I marked them down on my extra sheet, and here they are. She didn't see my picks and all but two are the same that I picked.

Ravens > Falcons
Panthers > Rams
Eagles > Titans
Buccaneers > Redskins
Browns > Steelers
Patriots > Packers
Chiefs > Raiders
Vikings > Dolphins
Saints > Bangles
*Jets > Bears
*Texans > Bills
Lions > Cardinals
Seahawks > 49ers
Colts > Cowboys
Broncos > Chargers
Jaguars > Giants

* These are the two games we picked different. I picked the Bears, and the Bills.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

This week's winners:

Ravens
Texans (since when do I pick them?)
Bears
Bengals
Dolphins
Patriots
Chiefs
Steelers
Panthers
Eagles
Redskins
Lions (crown 'em Denny!)
49ers
Colts
Chargers
Jaguars
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Are you FUCKING me? What the fucking Christ was that?! Is Andy Reid somehow ignorant of the concept of the quarterback sneak? Why the FUCK would you pass on third and goal from the one inch line with a giant quarterback behind an even more gigantic offensive line?
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

Skins-Bucs feels more like a preseason game than anything else. And will the Fox announcers please SHUT THE FUCK UP! Where's Aikman and Buck when you need them?
Artillery. Its what's for dinner.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

RedImperator wrote:Are you FUCKING me? What the fucking Christ was that?! Is Andy Reid somehow ignorant of the concept of the quarterback sneak? Why the FUCK would you pass on third and goal from the one inch line with a giant quarterback behind an even more gigantic offensive line?
Oh my god? What was that 70 yard run up the middle? :shock: edit: **By Travis Henry**
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Un-the fuck-believable. Why not? Why not give up a punt return for a touchdown? It's not like it'll make this game any more of an utter Goddamn debacle.
X-Ray Blues
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

RedImperator wrote:Un-the fuck-believable. Why not? Why not give up a punt return for a touchdown? It's not like it'll make this game any more of an utter Goddamn debacle.
At least it wasn't a runback on a missed field goal for a 108 yard touchdown.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

aerius wrote:
RedImperator wrote:Un-the fuck-believable. Why not? Why not give up a punt return for a touchdown? It's not like it'll make this game any more of an utter Goddamn debacle.
At least it wasn't a runback on a missed field goal for a 108 yard touchdown.
You can always "at least" something worse. At least it's not an even longer runback. At least nobody's shit his pants on camera. At least I'm not on fire. Doesn't make this any less of a humiliating debacle.

Fucking Eagles. Fucking Goddamn Eagles. At least Villanova is playing a palooka tonight; they probably won't lose. If they do, I'm done with sports.
X-Ray Blues
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

RedImperator wrote:You can always "at least" something worse. At least it's not an even longer runback. At least nobody's shit his pants on camera. At least I'm not on fire. Doesn't make this any less of a humiliating debacle.
Quoted for truth for my miserable college football season.