College Football 2006

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

jegs2
Imperial Spook

UNA makes the NCAA Division II Playoffs

Post by jegs2 »

Alabama lost to LSU, but it was a pretty decent showing by the Tide considering Shula's usual "run-em-between-the-tackles-till-we-lose" tactic. Bama actually played somewhat unpredictable offense, and we saw sparks of greatness in their young QB. Give him more than two and a half seconds, and he finds ways to connect with receivers. Bama's D needs a lot of help.

North Alabama finished their season at 10 & 0, and they were picked at Number 2 in the SE for the Division II playoffs. That means they get a bye for the first round of playoffs next week. UNA has it's first tough test against likely NC Central, and if they survive that game, they'll likely face off against Grand Valley State (the defending national champs from last year). We're hoping the Lions take it all and win their fourth national championship!

Roar Lions!
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Tsyroc wrote:I do wonder if the OSU Michigan is closely played and decided by a point or two whether they might end up in a rematch. I hope that's not the case but the BCS has had at least one rematch in the past (Florida vs. FSU).
A couple years ago, Oklahoma got to play in the BCS title game in spite of losing the Big 12 Conference title match. That alone should show people how screwed up the BCS is.

The Sooners went on to get spanked by LSU and USC was robbed of playing in the title game that year.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Ebb Tide & Roar Lions!

Post by jegs2 »

Bama's season ended with an unceremonious thud with a fifth consecutive loss to hated rival, Auburn. They may still be bowl-eligible, but if the Tide AD has any sense of honor he'll turn one down and send Shula packing.

North Alabama faces Newberry in Div. II playoffs on 25 Nov.
Warwolves G2
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I sure hope somebody passes Michigan in the BCS standings. They might be the second best team in the country after OSU but I really hate rematches unless there were some pretty serious extenuating circumstances in the first game. Something like missing players or a host of bad calls.

At this point I'd like to see Arkansas play OSU but Florida or USC would be okay as well if Arkansas can't make it past LSU and Florida. I can't quite grasp why Notre Dame is rated so high. Who exactly have they defeated to justify them being rated that high?
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Well, outside of Wisconsin, who has Michigan beaten, if Notre Dame isn't any good? Alright, Notre Dame had to come back to beat UCLA, but Michigan struggled with Ball State, winning only by 8, and Michigan struggled with Penn State, a team Notre Dame clearly outclassed. If Notre Dame is no good, then Michigan has no top caliber wins either. Take Notre Dame out of the equation, and USC, who whipped Arkansas, now has a much stronger case for number 2.
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

I really wonder how Schembechler's death affected Michigan on Saturday - judging from some of the interviews, I think his passing might have been a bit of a distraction.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Tsyroc wrote:I can't quite grasp why Notre Dame is rated so high.
Its quite simple actually. They're Notre Dame.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Darth Servo wrote:
Tsyroc wrote:I can't quite grasp why Notre Dame is rated so high.
Its quite simple actually. They're Notre Dame.
Notre Dame's national ranking is directly proportional to Charlie Weiss's waist line.
- Old Russian Saying
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

Texas A&M beat Texas today, breaking the losing streak since A&M's last win in 1999

final score Texas A&M 12
Texas 7
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Good, that oughta shut up the bandwagon Longhorn fans and weed out the real ones for next season.

Coker is out, not entirely fair I think but that is the price you pay when you have early success followed by a steady decline. Funny quote from foxsports.com:
"In retrospect, maybe it was just never a good idea to have guy named "Coker" overseeing a bunch of college kids in the city that gave us Michael Irvin and Tony Montana.
As far as the potential rematch between Michigan and OSU, it was a damn good game between the two best teams in the country. The BCS should put the best two teams in. The fact that it was a good game helps too. Notre Dame should never pass Michigan in the BCS even if they win in my opinion, they were absolutely dominated by Michigan and jumping them in the standings would be BS, lets hope the computers agree.

[/quote]
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Arkansas pretty much lost its chance at the national championship game by getting beat by LSU yesterday.

I really don't think there should be a Michigan/OSU rematch but it's almost like it's getting closer and closer to being inevitable. I really hope that USC doesn't choke on any of it's games. Either that or Florida needs to make a strong showing against FSU and Arkansas.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

RANKING FREEFAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL!!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Howedar wrote:RANKING FREEFAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL!!
BWAHAHAHAHA
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

It looks like Boise State is going to be undefeated and ranked high enough to get a bid in a BCS bowl. 8)
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

But they still won't get a shot at a National Title like I wish they could. Stupid lack of playoffs.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Now, this is my rant. Screw the playoffs, screw the BCS. Go back to the old conference tie-ins, let five teams claim to be national champions, let there be a controversy running all summerlong, let there be "dream games" and clasisc bowl showdowns, let an intersectional rivalry develop, like that USC-Michigan thing that was running for a while. Who needs an undisputed national champion? Some years you'll get some, some years you won't.

What is wrong with two schools, rather than one, claiming to be national champions? What is wrong with more happy college football players? Don't kill my beloved bowls with a playoff!
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Will miracles never cease. Little old Rice University is going to a bowl game for the first time since 1961.

I know this is of little importance on the national radar but still, I was excited about it.

Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Koetter's out! Woooooooooooooooooooo!!!
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

CarsonPalmer wrote:Now, this is my rant. Screw the playoffs, screw the BCS. Go back to the old conference tie-ins, let five teams claim to be national champions, let there be a controversy running all summerlong, let there be "dream games" and clasisc bowl showdowns, let an intersectional rivalry develop, like that USC-Michigan thing that was running for a while. Who needs an undisputed national champion? Some years you'll get some, some years you won't.

What is wrong with two schools, rather than one, claiming to be national champions? What is wrong with more happy college football players? Don't kill my beloved bowls with a playoff!
I certainly wouldn't shed a tear if the BCS got scrapped and things went back to the old way.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

CarsonPalmer wrote:Now, this is my rant. Screw the playoffs, screw the BCS. Go back to the old conference tie-ins, let five teams claim to be national champions, let there be a controversy running all summerlong, let there be "dream games" and clasisc bowl showdowns, let an intersectional rivalry develop, like that USC-Michigan thing that was running for a while. Who needs an undisputed national champion? Some years you'll get some, some years you won't.

Who gets the lucrative endorsement contracts?

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Patrick Degan wrote: I certainly wouldn't shed a tear if the BCS got scrapped and things went back to the old way.
Neither would I.

I miss the old school Rose Bowl, Pac-10/Big-10. The Oragne Bowl, Sugar Bowl and the Cotton Bowl. Those were the biggies. Somewhere along the road the Fiesta started forking out big bucks and crashed the party.

I miss the feeling that more of the bowls matered and not just the one with the best mach up. Granted most of the time the Orange Bowl and later the Fiesta Bowl had the best rated mach ups but it was cool when that mach up wasn't a slam dunk. Maybe a highly ranked team was tied into another bowl so there might end up being a disputed or split National Championship. Who cares? It just felt like the regular season and all of the bowls mattered more than they do now. They've moved the dates around so much it's ridiculous. Most of the January 1st bowls are crap because the big guns have moved to after the first for tv bucks. I miss watching 3 big time bowls on January first. It was all day football. Now, I could hardly give a crap (I'm also rarely off work so that impacts things too).

This year I've found myself agreeing more and more with the people who don't want a playoff system. I do think it does cheapen the regular season. I mean, look at NCAA basketball. Does anyone give a crap what some team's regular season record is? Whether they won their conference or not? Heck, with most conferences winning the conference gets crapped on by the conference tournament IMO. Those tournaments are only somewhat cool because they let teams, that for some reason or another crapped the bed during the regular seasoan, get a chance to get into the tournament. That's great if you are a fan of one of those teams who gets a second chance but I'm not big on second chances in sports.

If major college football ever goes to a playoff system I think they need to make it so it's heavilly biased towards conference champions . All conferences would have a championship game or each team would play every other team in the conference, and independent teams like Notre Dame would have to join a conference or be left out. None of that "oh we're special let us into the playoffs" bias crap. Maybe there could be some wild card teams but with football everyone seems to be obsessed with who the best team is and that doesn't always seem to be who wins out when there's a larger and larger field for the tournament/play off.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

ESPN is reporting that Mark Dantonio has been hired to be the next coach at Michigan State.

Spartans hire Dantonio

Meh. I'm pretty neutral on the hire - Dantonio seems to be doing well in Cincy, but I'd like to see more of him before bringing him in at MSU. I would have preferred Todd Grantham or some of the others with NFL experience, but you could do a lot worse than with Dantonio. I'm just glad they didn't hire Brian Kelly - Kelly struck me as a guy who just isn't quite ready for prime time college football yet.
- Old Russian Saying
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Mike Shula sacked!

Post by jegs2 »

Mike Shula, head coach for Bama, was fired today. Could Darth Visor be his replacement?
Warwolves G2
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Wasn't he denying that he'd go to Alabama only a few weeks ago?

Plus, I thought 'Bama almost always had to go with a 'Bama guy or one of Bear's guys. There certainly should be qualified coachs in either of those catagories.

Spurrier would probably do fine at Alabama but I can't see a school wanting to take on that baggage.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Here are my belated cries of woe at the Wolverine's loss:

YAAAARRRRRGHHHH!

So, yeah, this will be the first time in history where going to the Rose Bowl sucks. I hope to god those BCS hatfuckers don't pick fucking Notre Dame for us to throttle again. Bring on LSU.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution