The Proofreading volunteers thread

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

The Proofreading volunteers thread

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

As you may have noticed I, D have begun to write.
While my spelling may have improved since my early days on the board (Due to actually writing in English due to the board) sadly, my grammar & syntax have not suffered a proportional improvement.

Therefore I must ask if there's anyone here willing to help me with critique (For storytelling quality & writing flaws pointed out) via the proofreading/pre-reading of my fics and almost as most importantly: Grammar Nazi's to help me improve my grammar.

I'd be happy to return the favour to anyone who asks, (Regardless of whether they assist me or not) though I fear that I may only be able to help in rudimentary spelling checks and story/plot related reviews rather than those of a grammatical nature.

Anyone interested please post here, Whether if they want people to proof-read for them or to offer their assistance in this task. :)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Re: The Proofreading volunteers thread

Post by Pick »

DEATH wrote:As you may have noticed I, Death, have begun to write.
While my spelling may have improved since my early days on the board--due to writing in English, as per the board rules--sadly, my grammar and syntax have not experienced a proportional improvement.

Therefore, I must ask if there is anyone here willing to help me with critique regarding storytelling quality and writing flaws via proofreading and/or pre-reading my fics. Additionally, and almost as importantly: grammar Nazis to help me improve my writing mechanics.

I'd be happy to return the favor to anyone who asks (regardless of whether they assist me or not) though I fear that I may only be able to help in rudimentary spelling checks and story/plot related reviews rather than those of a grammatical nature.

Anyone interested please post here, whether they want people to proof-read for them or to offer their assistance in this task. :)
[size=0]Am I an asshole? total asshole.[/size]
Last edited by Pick on 2006-11-14 03:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

See if you can get into the Writer's Guild, that's where some proof reading goes on.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

2000AD wrote:See if you can get into the Writer's Guild, that's where some proof reading goes on.
Is that group at all active? Just curious.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Pick wrote:
2000AD wrote:See if you can get into the Writer's Guild, that's where some proof reading goes on.
Yeah, so-so.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Maybe I should join that. The few people who read my stuff better vouch for me, though, or I'm out on my ass :P.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I remember that group. I tried to join last year.

Anyways, DEATH, when I have some more time I'd be willing to proofread your stuff, as I understand the need for it.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Ford Prefect wrote:I remember that group. I tried to join last year.
If no one's gotten back to you, just send RedImperator a head's up. Sometimes, I guess, these things gets lost in the machine.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

DEATH wrote:As you may have noticed I, D have begun to write.
While my spelling may have improved since my early days on the board (Due to actually writing in English due to the board) sadly, my grammar & syntax have not suffered a proportional improvement.
Suffered? Is being improved painful for your grammar and syntax? :P

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Noble Ire wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote:I remember that group. I tried to join last year.
If no one's gotten back to you, just send RedImperator a head's up. Sometimes, I guess, these things gets lost in the machine.
I'll get around to it ... eventually.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
HSRTG
Jedi Knight

Post by HSRTG »

I'll assist.
Kill one man, you're a murderer. Kill a million, a king. Kill them all, a god. - Anonymous
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Pick wrote:
About as active as my sex life. And by that, I mean "not at all."

As such, it'd be good to have more people, as more stuff might occur.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Exonerate wrote:
DEATH wrote:As you may have noticed I, D have begun to write.
Suffered? Is being improved painful for your grammar and syntax? :P
Well less comes out and after far more... Effort :wink: .
See if you can get into the Writer's Guild, that's where some proof reading goes on.
I got the acceptance email for the writers guild right now (Thank you very much Red Imperator and anyone who voted for me :D ) I'm going over the proofreading thread there as I type.
(Though I will probably ask one or two of the people who kindly volunteered on this thread as soon as I have new stuff ready, though according to Tev' "Dragon grammar=It burnsss").
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Goodluck. I personally have submitted two applications to Red Imperator and haven't gotten any response yet...

that was before last summer I think...
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.