NFL Football Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

BWAHAHAHAHAA! Why are the Raiders the laughing stock of the NFL?

4th Quarter, they're down 13-17, trying to drive against the Chiefs with 40 seconds left. Out of nowhere, 40 yard completion and they're within the Chiefs 10 yard line! They call a time-out, line up for the next play -- and throw an interception. :lol:

Honestly, I wanted the Raiders to win [just so the Chiefs aren't a playoff threat to the Chargers] but that was so worth it.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

RedImperator wrote:Fucking Eagles. Fucking Goddamn Eagles. At least Villanova is playing a palooka tonight; they probably won't lose. If they do, I'm done with sports.
And McNabb is out for the season (torn ACL). It may or may not bleed into next season, but with these injuries, who knows...
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Holy shit, Cowboys up 21-14 with 3 minutes to go. Colts just turned it over on downs trying to tie starting with the Cowboys now on their own 10 or so.

edit: And they lose! Cowboys knocked off the Colts, not THAT surprising since the Colts Defense is horrible against the run and the Cowboys play a time-of-possession game rather well.
Kyle
Padawan Learner

Post by Kyle »

Wow. What a weekend of Football. First OSU beats Michigan, which I expected, then UC beats Rutgers, which I didn't. And to cap it all off, the Bengals beat the Saints in a great game. To think until last week I was worrying about Chad Johnson having an off year, he definitely straightened me out about that, 450 receiving yards and five touchdowns in two games.

Just some facts for people who don't follow the Bengals, Ethan Kilmer, a rookie fourth string safety returned an interception for a TD, it was only his fourth snap ever from scrimmage, he'd previously only played on special teams and was a wideout in college.

The Bengals offensive line only had two regular starters, Eric Steinbach the left guard, and Willie Anderson the right tackle. The left tackle Andrew Whitworth is a rookie from LSU, Eric Ghiaciuc a second year player is the center, and the Right Guard Stacey Andrews is the older brother of eagles guard Shawn Andrews and is a third year player making his first start ever, at any level. He did not play football in high school and didn't play until his senior year of college, before that he was a track and field discus thrower.

Talk about a beat up team. the Bengals list of key injured players are.
Levi Jones LT
Rich Braham C
Bobbie Williams RG
Brian Simmons MLB
David Pollack SLB (out for season)
Dexter Jackson SS
Deltha O'Neal CB

These are all starters and I'm not even listing the backups who are out or those playing with injuries. Or considering Odell Thurman who is susupended byt he league for being a fucking dumbass.

Sure most of you don't care but I felt like writing all this down. So... there it is.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

RedImperator wrote:Un-the fuck-believable. Why not? Why not give up a punt return for a touchdown? It's not like it'll make this game any more of an utter Goddamn debacle.
:lol:

I saw the replay of that one. It's not just the fact that they let him run back the punt, it's that they missed about 4 tackles on the way. It wasn't even one of those ones when someone slips and gets out of position and the guy runs through untouched--they had four chances (one guy missed twice) to bring down Jones and they didn't.

Gore runs for another 200+ yards in the Niners' win over the Seahawks, too. Who would've thought SF would be .500 ten games into the season?
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

McNabb is done for the year with a blown ACL. Eagles management should buy, beg, draft, kidnap or do whatever the fuck it takes to get an every down back. Number Five shouldn't have been the main rushing threat and now he can't be.

This has to be the most criminal misuse of a team loaded with talent since the Houston Oilers of 1987-1994 or the Patriots of 1976-1980.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Elfdart wrote:McNabb is done for the year with a blown ACL. Eagles management should buy, beg, draft, kidnap or do whatever the fuck it takes to get an every down back. Number Five shouldn't have been the main rushing threat and now he can't be.
Forget it. Andy Reid invented football and he knows better than you and me and anybody else in the entire universe who has the temerity to suggest there's no substitute for a strong running game.
This has to be the most criminal misuse of a team loaded with talent since the Houston Oilers of 1987-1994 or the Patriots of 1976-1980.
Three NFC championship losses, a Super Bowl loss, last year's fiasco, and now another debacle of a season in the making. McNabb should have at least two rings by now: we would have kicked the shit out of the Raiders in 2002 and we were better than the Tampa Bay team that beat us at the Vet, and the Patriots were practically giving away the game in 2005 and the Birds didn't take it.

Don't think the fans in Philly don't know this. After today, the Eagles have lost the benefit of the doubt. WIP is going to be a weeklong endless loop of "fire Reid", and while intellectually I know that's a stupid idea, emotionally it's resonating pretty powerfully.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Master of Ossus wrote:Gore runs for another 200+ yards in the Niners' win over the Seahawks, too. Who would've thought SF would be .500 ten games into the season?
Yoo hoo over heeeere! :wink:

Dood, it was totally the suit. The Niners are one game back and still get to play the Rams, Seahawks and Cardinals again. They have a legitimate shot at the NFC west and the playoffs.

Hey does everyone remember when the "experts" said Frank Gore was the most overrated member of his draft class? :lol: But holy SHIT!!! HOLD ON TO THE FUCKING BALL!! I almost had a fucking heart attack. :shock:

Sorry 'bout your Eagles Red. Hopefully you will get to see what got Garcia to 3 Pro Bowls.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Wooooh! Chargers up 35-27!

And because of an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty the Chargers kicked form the 40 yard line and Denver is pinned on their own 2!

edit: context: Chargers have come back from a 24-7 deficit, 17 points.

If they win, and they most likely will, it's the 1st time in over 12,000 games of NFL play a team has in back-to-back week's come back from that much.

If it wasn't official before, it is now, there's a new LT: he got 3 on the ground and one receiving. Fucking righteous. :D

edit for truthfulness:
there's only 1 reason I'm in the mood to throw this link up: victory! 35-27. :D
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

RedImperator wrote:Three NFC championship losses, a Super Bowl loss, last year's fiasco, and now another debacle of a season in the making. McNabb should have at least two rings by now: we would have kicked the shit out of the Raiders in 2002 and we were better than the Tampa Bay team that beat us at the Vet, and the Patriots were practically giving away the game in 2005 and the Birds didn't take it.

Don't think the fans in Philly don't know this. After today, the Eagles have lost the benefit of the doubt. WIP is going to be a weeklong endless loop of "fire Reid", and while intellectually I know that's a stupid idea, emotionally it's resonating pretty powerfully.
It started as soon as the game was over. Hugh Douglas and Steve Martarano in particular were incredulous after the game.

A week ago everyone was feeling pretty confident, that as long as the Eagles were careful they would still be in the hunt. That's all finished now.

I hate to say it, but radio is a lot more entertaining after a loss. :(
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

A game winning drive in the last minute thirty by JP Losman?

I was as suprised as anyone else.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I thought my Chargers were about to get skunked. They weren't stopping the Broncos on the ground (except when the dummies ran at Jamal Williams :lol: ) and every other play a Charger defender was being carted off the field. I thought they were literally going to run out of defensive players. Rivers throwing a Pick Six hurt like hell, too. But somehow they hung in there and Tomlinson scored 4 TDs -the Donkeys were toast. Serves 'em right for wearing blue jerseys and blue pants, an abomination that was punished.

Speaking of shitty attire, why the fuck are the Eagles wearing black jerseys? To try to edge in on the gangbanger market now that wearing Raiders garb says "I'M A WASHED-UP PUSSY"? They looked like shit and played that way, too. Tennessee went back to baby blue, like when they were in Houston, resurrected the spirit of the glory days of Bum Phillips (i.e. winning despite having NO quarterback) and pasted the gangbanger wannabes. The gods of football will not be mocked. Fuck with the traditions of the game and they will smite you.
:twisted:
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Elfdart wrote: Speaking of shitty attire, why the fuck are the Eagles wearing black jerseys? To try to edge in on the gangbanger market now that wearing Raiders garb says "I'M A WASHED-UP PUSSY"? They looked like shit and played that way, too. Tennessee went back to baby blue, like when they were in Houston, resurrected the spirit of the glory days of Bum Phillips (i.e. winning despite having NO quarterback) and pasted the gangbanger wannabes. The gods of football will not be mocked. Fuck with the traditions of the game and they will smite you.
I think they had those jerseys back when T.O. was still playing for them. I think more than a few teams were going for the "bad ass black" (it'll make the team more agressive and we'll sell more stuff to ganbangers) look. I think these days more teams would rather try to sell throwback stuff which a wider variety of people will buy than the gang banger stuff.

Speaking of NFL attire. Apparently the NFL has decided to try and sell more stuff to women this year by having alternative stuff for them. Essentially all the teams have some stuff done in pink.
Image Image

The Eagles really go to town though. They have quite a few pretty jersey styles just for women. :D Eagles Shop
Last edited by Tsyroc on 2006-11-20 11:49am, edited 1 time in total.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Falkenhayn wrote:A game winning drive in the last minute thirty by JP Losman?

Losman is finally learning (or being allowed) to scamper around a bit. I finally made a dive on 3rd and short to get the down instead of another fucking blown pass and ran for another 1st. It was good to see him move a little.

And Evans had a fucking field day.
JADAFETWA
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Elfdart wrote:Speaking of shitty attire, why the fuck are the Eagles wearing black jerseys? To try to edge in on the gangbanger market now that wearing Raiders garb says "I'M A WASHED-UP PUSSY"? They looked like shit and played that way, too. Tennessee went back to baby blue, like when they were in Houston, resurrected the spirit of the glory days of Bum Phillips (i.e. winning despite having NO quarterback) and pasted the gangbanger wannabes. The gods of football will not be mocked. Fuck with the traditions of the game and they will smite you.
Tsyroc is correct. The Eagles have had the black jersey since at least the last two seasons and possible several before, if I remember right.

They do it simply to have more variations to sell. That is the cold, financial reason.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Kuja wrote:
Falkenhayn wrote:A game winning drive in the last minute thirty by JP Losman?

Losman is finally learning (or being allowed) to scamper around a bit. I finally made a dive on 3rd and short to get the down instead of another fucking blown pass and ran for another 1st. It was good to see him move a little.

And Evans had a fucking field day.
Should have said so,but I watched from start to finish. When DJ didn't go for it on 4th and 4, my coat was on and I was one foot out the door.

Then Nate Clements swatted Andre Johnson on 3rd Down. Then Roscoe Parrish dove into the punt coverage to fair catch at the 45. Then JP and Peerless decided to prove they were worth a damn. Stunned and elated do not describe.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

What a revolting display of football last night. The Jaguars came out in solid black uniforms for that Zorro the Gay Blade look and played like George Hamilton with flowers in his sombrero. Luckily, the Giants (presumably playoff contenders :wanker:) played like soft wet vaginas and even a flat Jacksonville team pummeled them. This may have been due to the head coach wearing a suit and tie on the sidelines. Very old school. The football gods overlooked the abomination of solid colored uniforms because of that. Of course it also had something to do with the Giants being such a crap team whose best players are injured and can't play.

As a Charger fan, I would like to thank the New Jersey Giants for giving us the rights to Philip Rivers and Shawn Merriman in exchange for She-li Manning. Been great doing business with ya!
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Elfdart wrote:As a Charger fan, I would like to thank the New Jersey Giants for giving us the rights to Philip Rivers and Shawn Merriman in exchange for She-li Manning. Been great doing business with ya!
Hooah! Since I've been old enough to watch Chargers football [I'm 21] this is probably the 2nd best time to be a Chargers fan.

The best of course was when we beat the Steelers in the AFC Championship game... [sigh] but not the game after.

edit: I just have to say this: it's hilarious how mad people get when you mention "Ryan Leaf" in San Diego. :lol: Literally pejorative, but I like to go a step further and use it as an adjective: "you Ryan Leafed that throw!" [which can really mean one of many things, to include over throwing a wide-open receiver down the middle or throwing a rocket on a flat-pass :roll:]
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I was a kid during the Air Coryell days and it was the most fun I ever had watching football, though the current bunch is closing in fast. It was the antithesis of Martyball and very similar to the way the team is playing right now.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

SPC Brungardt wrote:The best of course was when we beat the Steelers in the AFC Championship game... [sigh] but not the game after.
Ha ha. Bitches. :twisted:

You also should thank the GM of the Falcolns for trading with you for the 1st pick so THEY could get Mike Vick. That in turn lead to you drafting LT, the best player you have ever had AND the fact that because you didn't get Vick, it allowed you to get Brees in the same draft later, which then allowed Rivers to sit for the two years he probably needed to be as good as he is.

So the only question now is who gets thier ring first? Rivers or Manning?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Why am I laughing? Because I'm talking about Peyton Manning, not Eli. The Giants suck and after Tiki retires after this season the Giants, with thier new coach, will put all thier hopes and dreams on lil' Manning's shoulders and he just doesn't have it like Peyton does.

P.S. Rivers will only get his ring first if you don't have to play the Niners again. :twisted:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Elfdart wrote:I was a kid during the Air Coryell days and it was the most fun I ever had watching football, though the current bunch is closing in fast. It was the antithesis of Martyball and very similar to the way the team is playing right now.
The only reason they are playing that way is because they keep spotting teams 21. Martyball is still alive, you'll see.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

P.S. Rivers will only get his ring first if you don't have to play the Niners again. :twisted:
Not in your wettest dreams wanker. :razz:

Chiefs win! Broncos fall from 3-0 to 3-2 in the Division in 5 days! :lol: :twisted:
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The Niners make it all the way to .500 and their fans are already talking smack.

I remember when we used to be that way. Any season of .500 or better, or any season with a win over the Raitards was the best to be hoped for.

The NFC team playing the best football right now is the Cowboys and I'm surprised. I thought when they yanked Bledsoe they were giving up on the season. But they have whipped their last few opponents and Romo has played brilliantly. It helps that the O-line finally started blocking. I think they're going to run away with the NFC East if they beat the Giants and She-li.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

The Niners make it all the way to .500 and their fans are already talking smack.
Hah. Just remember havokeff, your team is STILL nothing without San Diego -- Alex Smith along with Reggie Bush came from my high school in La Mesa, CA -- San Diego County.

NOTHING!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Elfdart wrote:The Niners make it all the way to .500 and their fans are already talking smack.

I remember when we used to be that way. Any season of .500 or better, or any season with a win over the Raitards was the best to be hoped for.
I remember that too, well, all the playoff and Super Bowl memories are kinda clouding it up, but I remember. ;)
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)