College Football 2006

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Here are my belated cries of woe at the Wolverine's loss:

YAAAARRRRRGHHHH!

So, yeah, this will be the first time in history where going to the Rose Bowl sucks. I hope to god those BCS hatfuckers don't pick fucking Notre Dame for us to throttle again. Bring on LSU.
Agreed, a Notre Dame/Michigan rematch would be far stupider than a OSU/Michigan rematch (which I'm also against). Besides the game being better it should be really cool having a bunch of LSU fans at the Rose Bowl.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Here are my belated cries of woe at the Wolverine's loss:

YAAAARRRRRGHHHH!

So, yeah, this will be the first time in history where going to the Rose Bowl sucks. I hope to god those BCS hatfuckers don't pick fucking Notre Dame for us to throttle again. Bring on LSU.
Michigan will get Boise State; aka BS University. Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! :P
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Tsyroc wrote:I thought 'Bama almost always had to go with a 'Bama guy or one of Bear's guys. There certainly should be qualified coachs in either of those catagories.
Bama's problem —both the school and the fans— is that they're looking for the reincarnated Bear and any coach which fails to be that gets fired after only three or four years. They won't let go of that for anything, even if it means a Bama football programme that never reaches championship calibre ever again because the school won't let anybody stick in the head coaching job long enough to give the programme several years of consistency.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Patrick Degan wrote:Bama's problem —both the school and the fans— is that they're looking for the reincarnated Bear and any coach which fails to be that gets fired after only three or four years. They won't let go of that for anything, even if it means a Bama football programme that never reaches championship calibre ever again because the school won't let anybody stick in the head coaching job long enough to give the programme several years of consistency.
I see what you're saying and concur in the cases of Bama pressuring out Gene Stallings, and later firing Mike Price before he could even begin based off silly extracurricular activities. In the case of Mike Shula though, his playcalling was needlessly unimaginative to the point when my own wife and half the people in the stands knew what conservative play Shula was going to call before he called it. We might think that Bama's probation had an effect, and it did, but not to the extent to warrant Shula's unimaginative play-calling. It isn't that Bama's offense was incapable of making good plays, for when the QB was let loose, he made outstanding pass plays, and he often threw short for running plays that would then turn upfield and gain yards. Shula was given more than enough opportunity to replace inept men like Radar, the offensive coordinator, but out of some misplaced sense of loyalty he would not (much like we see with G. W. Bush). Finally, Shula committed the unforgivable sin of losing to hated archrival, Auburn, four consecutive years. Mike Shula is a good guy who we have no doubt poured his heart and soul into the Crimson Tide, but he was unfairly put in the position of being a too-young and inexperienced head coach at a college football program that requires experienced and seasoned leadership.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

By the way, my illustrious Army Comrades, I fully expect all of you to be aknowledging the inherent superiority of the Navy after we beat your ass like a wog tomorrow. :)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Lonestar wrote:By the way, my illustrious Army Comrades, I fully expect all of you to be aknowledging the inherent superiority of the Navy after we beat your ass like a wog tomorrow. :)
Having never before set foot in the vicinity of West Point, my care factor for this one is pretty low. I suppose I should care, and pull for Army to win ...... but I don't.

Roar Lions!
Warwolves G2
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

That's it.

I've had it with Reggie Ball!

The posibility for the greatest season in years, and its all up in smoke because of this QB. You can add the playcalling to the list to as those long passes were not working and there was no reason to keep calling them.

Lost to Wake Forest without even a single TD, unbelievable...
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Is Ball calling the plays? I wasn't watching that game, but Army-Navy. I've always found it hard to complain about college players, because for a lot of them it is pure heart and soul.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

North Alabama was soundly beaten by Delta State today, so their season's over.
Warwolves G2
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

CarsonPalmer wrote:Is Ball calling the plays? I wasn't watching that game, but Army-Navy. I've always found it hard to complain about college players, because for a lot of them it is pure heart and soul.
You can't question Ball's heart and soul, because he lays it all on the line every game. But his performance has been horrendous for 3 out of the last 4 games. He was 9 of 29 passing today... (though some of those were because of bad playcalling by the OC)
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Navy rack up their fifth straight win over the Black Knights —onward, to the exhalted Meineke Car Care Bowl.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I hate you Pete Carroll you overrated fuckstick twat! You and your stupid California football.

unranked UCLA... mumbles uncoherantly.... HAHAHAHA
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

jegs2 wrote:
Having never before set foot in the vicinity of West Point, my care factor for this one is pretty low. I suppose I should care, and pull for Army to win ...... but I don't.

Roar Lions!
Incidently, we kicked your asses. Army Football: Helping the Navy look athletic since 1890.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Loner
Jedi Knight

Post by Loner »

Col. Crackpot wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I hate you Pete Carroll you overrated fuckstick twat! You and your stupid California football.

unranked UCLA... mumbles uncoherantly.... HAHAHAHA
"There are times I'd like to get my hands on God." - Frank Castle
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Southern Cal loses, and Florida wins the SECCG - what a day! What will become of the BCS mess now?
Warwolves G2
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

jegs2 wrote:Southern Cal loses, and Florida wins the SECCG - what a day! What will become of the BCS mess now?
I expect the BCS solons will resort to reading goat entrails.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

My brain is like, "the Wolverines had their chance and blew it, don't go fucking with the system (one that's already FUBAR as it is)."

My heart is like, "FUCKING HELL YES REMATCH PLEASE."

So, I'll just roll with whatever our overloads crap out for us to gaze at tomorrow,.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The Wake Forest / Georgia Tech game was absolutely horrible. For awhile it was the only football game on so I was watching it and eventually I just couldn't take it anymore. I came back later and it was 6 to 3 in the 4th quarter and still sucking ass. If that's how the ACC is playing this year then Wake Forest is going to get its ass kicked by Louisville in the Orange Bowl.

On the BCS championship front I'm strongly against a rematch and think Florida deserves it's shot. I'd also still rather see LSU go to the Rose Bowl and play Michigan but who knows where they'll end up now.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

Tsyroc wrote:The Wake Forest / Georgia Tech game was absolutely horrible. For awhile it was the only football game on so I was watching it and eventually I just couldn't take it anymore. I came back later and it was 6 to 3 in the 4th quarter and still sucking ass. If that's how the ACC is playing this year then Wake Forest is going to get its ass kicked by Louisville in the Orange Bowl.

Wake Forest has a good offense. It's just that GT's defense was so good that it was shutting down Wakes Offense. They'll put up more points on Louisville (though I doubt they can outscore the Ville).

GT's offense on the other hand was really really bad, and there are two people who could really be blamed for that...
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Patrick Degan wrote:
jegs2 wrote:Southern Cal loses, and Florida wins the SECCG - what a day! What will become of the BCS mess now?
I expect the BCS solons will resort to reading goat entrails.

which is why there should be a goddamn playoff system. It's not like classes are in session during the holiday break. There is no logical excuse not to have an 8 team playoff bracket... Other than it pisses off the fat bald oldtimers that wear ugly jackets at Bowl games. Fuck them.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Darth Garden Gnome

Florida-Ohio State National Championship Game
USC-Michigan Rose Bowl
Notre Dame-LSU Sugar Bowl

Congratulations on winning the national title, OSU.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

For maximum BCS carnage, I now root for tOSU to brutally rape Florida.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

LEt me just ask the Question how FLorida managed to jump Michigan in the polls. I know i've got no proff and i'm going to sound nutty but there has to have been some kind of conspiracy to get Florida in. It's fucking bullshit that a team can still soft schedule their way into a title game like NEbraska and Florida St used to do.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Garden Gnome

Why did Florida jump Michigan? Besides crybaby Urban Meyer slimy peddling for the Gators, it comes down to two reasons:
  • Despite the BCS polls mission being to pick the TOP TWO nations in the country to go to the title game, pollsters agreed that Michigan already had their shot and didn't deserve to go against OSU again. It had nothing to do with picking the best two teams (unless you really think Florida would trump Michigan on a neutral field), and everything with the beauty pageant that the BCS is and always will be.
  • Michigan being idle for two weeks hurt them significantly. Everyone sees Florida win those last two games while all they see from the Wolverines is "lost to Ohio a while ago." In the "what have you done for me lately" BCS, it's a pretty powerful factor in the voting. If Michigan and Ohio had played earlier in the year and then each had run the table afterwards, it's a good bet the rematch would still be on.
I'm not mad, this is the way the BCS works. I'll enjoy the fine tradition Rose Bowl and look forward to an exciting New Year's Day against USC. I'll laugh as the Gators get curbstomped by the Buckeyes and get sent packing back to the SEC. They want their shot, they'll get it, and they'll lose badly.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I agree with all the complaints about how it seems Florida jumped Michigan in the BCS but I still say Michigan had their shot at OSU and if there is another team reasonably qualified to go against OSU they should get their chance. In this case it's Florida.

It's not like Michgan lost to OSU early in the season or was missing some major element of its offense/defense etc. Maybe an arguement could be made for Bo Schembeckler's death messing with them but I'm sure others would argue that it inspired them and maybe messed with OSU. :? If Michigan had beaten OSU at home I certainly wouldn't have wanted a rematch of that game for the National Championship. Beating someone twice certainly proves someone but a split, especially close together, just sucks.

Since the last game both OSU and Michigan played was against each other I look at is as a playoff and they just happened to be placed in a bracket that put Michigan against OSU (at home) in the quarterfinals. It sucks, but shit like that happens in most playoff systems.

A playoff is no garuntee that the best team is going to win or even be in the championship game. I don't have much trouble with the BCS system but they need to nip this whining (politicing) crap in the bud. It's embarassing.

If they wanted to go to a 4 and maybe a 6 team playoff I wouldn't have a problem. I think going to 8 teams starts getting a little obsessive and opens things up more for some team to get lucky more than it proves who the best team is.

=========

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been more bitching about Oklahoma's "loss" to Oregan. Scratch that out of the books and they are a one loss team and easilly could have been right up there with Michigan and Florida. I'm probably just lucky that I don't go to any Oklahoma fan forums. :)
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.