NFL Football Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I didn't pick the Thanksgiving games, though I should have so I could pad my numbers. The only game that was halfway competetive was Chiefs-Broncos and that was for three quarters. Anyway, you had to have satellite or cable to watch it.

This week's winners:

Cardinals -Denny crowns the team that fired him. Funny thing is, this time next year, he'll probably be trying to do the same to the Cardinals -and for the same reason!

Panthers
Bengals
Jets
Jaguars
Saints
Ravens
49ers

Chargers -another sweep of the Raitards! I hope they run up the score. With each pile-on TD an extra smidgen of revenge is exacted: "THAT's for the 1980 AFC Championship! THAT's for breaking Kellen Winslow's knee! THAT's for breaking Dan Fouts' nose in three places! And so on until the last rub-it-in touchdown -AND THIS IS FOR THE HOLY ROLLER! Fuck you Al Davis! Take your Pride & Poise and shove it WAY up your ass, motherfucker!

<regains composure>

Patriots > Bears
Giants > Titans
Colts > Eagles
Seahawks > Packers -another shitty game for ESPN. :lol:
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Make that x2 Game winning drives from JP Losman. This one with 28 ticks left on a sensational grab by Roscoe "The Bussiness" Parrish.

And as I post, NE is knocking on the door...Lawrence Maroney 1 yd TD run.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

HOLY SHIT! HOLY SHIT! HOLY MOTHERFUCKING GODDAMNED SHIT!

The on-post cable provider is showing the Chargers Raiders late game. It's like I'm in San Diego again. :lol: I guess it's cause the Chiefs already played, so there's an open slot in the TV schedule. Only 7-7 late in the 2Q though.

That'll change.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

The Chargers are the new cardiac kids.

Can the Raiders BUY a win in the AFC West? They certainly can't earn one, the Chargers have been out of sync all day and they never came close to capitalizing on these mistakes.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I was over at the Union-Tribune's sports forums and it's a laugh riot. Raitard fans gloating left and right...

...and then they were suddenly silenced! :lol:

On top of that, She-li and the other Giants blew a 21-0 lead and lost!

VICTORY IS MINE! :twisted: :twisted:
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

SPC Brungardt wrote:The Chargers are the new cardiac kids.
I'm as optimistic as any Bills fan can hope to be, and I'm still trying to think of a way, besides Hitmen, for Buffalo to stop LT next week.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Despite the fact that the game is shaping up to be a disaster, I'm impressed with Jeff Garcia. He's doing the best he can, he's just in a very poor situation.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

I feel sorry for Eli from time to time.

...Then I remember at the draft when he demanded a trade from San Diego to New York because he didn't want to play for a loser team like the Chargers. And then I remember the Chargers got Philip Rivers out of the trade. :lol:

Ahh, the Giants. Ran over by Vince Young.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I never understood that. How the heck were the Chargers a "loser" team and the Giants not?

Granted the Giants had been to the Super Bowl more recently than the Chargers but given how they got their asses beat can anyone think that them making it to the game wasn't much more than a fluke, or at least a good play off run that came to an bad end. I certainly don't recall that team being impressive during the season.

So did Eli just want to go to the Giants because it was New York and when he hits it big he'd really hit it big $$$$ because of the New York media?

Personally I would have gone to San Diego since the weather is a fuckload better than most of the East Coast of the US let alone New York. Plus, coaching wise, even though Marty has his problems I still have more faith in him that the Giant's coaching staff.

Can you imagine what would have happened if Eli had gone to the Chargers? I really wonder if the Chargers would have let Brees go if they had gotten Eli instead of Rivers.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Tsyroc wrote:I never understood that. How the heck were the Chargers a "loser" team and the Giants not?

Granted the Giants had been to the Super Bowl more recently than the Chargers but given how they got their asses beat can anyone think that them making it to the game wasn't much more than a fluke, or at least a good play off run that came to an bad end. I certainly don't recall that team being impressive during the season.

So did Eli just want to go to the Giants because it was New York and when he hits it big he'd really hit it big $$$$ because of the New York media?
Manning was probably worried that although Drew Brees had a crap season in 2003, he was pretty good in 2002, so She-li might not get on the field much. In New York, they had a concussion-addled Kurt Warner. His chances of starting were better. I'm sure the spotlight in NY had something to do with it, which is fucking stupid if you ask me. The fans there will turn on you in a heartbeat.
Personally I would have gone to San Diego since the weather is a fuckload better than most of the East Coast of the US let alone New York. Plus, coaching wise, even though Marty has his problems I still have more faith in him that the Giant's coaching staff.
That's a pretty gutless bunch of receivers in NY.
Can you imagine what would have happened if Eli had gone to the Chargers? I really wonder if the Chargers would have let Brees go if they had gotten Eli instead of Rivers.
I doubt they would have let Brees go if She-li was going to take his place.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

From the comments, I gather I'm not the only person who despises people such as John 'I'd rather play baseball than play for the Colts' Elway and Eli 'whiney crybaby' Manning. :lol:

The NFL should crack the whip and tell players like She-li and Elway that you'll either play for the team that drafted you, or you won't play in the NFL at all.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Glocksman wrote:From the comments, I gather I'm not the only person who despises people such as John 'I'd rather play baseball than play for the Colts' Elway and Eli 'whiney crybaby' Manning. :lol:

The NFL should crack the whip and tell players like She-li and Elway that you'll either play for the team that drafted you, or you won't play in the NFL at all.
On the one hand, I agree, on the other, as a Chargers fan, I don't want a pussyfoot crybaby like Eli "Oh Noes San Diego!" Manning. There's also the consideration that the Chargers just played the Giants for blind fools and coveted Rivers more anyway.

We got our guy, he's panning out, Merriman [though he needs to fix himself] and Kaeding even.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Glocksman wrote:From the comments, I gather I'm not the only person who despises people such as John 'I'd rather play baseball than play for the Colts' Elway and Eli 'whiney crybaby' Manning. :lol:

I don't think they can. The League is scared shitless that someone will go to court and challenge the draft as a whole as an illegal collusion to stifle commerce.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

At the time I disliked Elway not wanting to go to the Colts (not that I can blame him) but I also kind of like the fact that he had leverage against them in the form of other options. Also, as long as the NFL is really the only game in town finding some way to make them work a little harder for a player doesn't bother me much.

Currently I don't think they pay their players enough compared to what the NBA and MLB players can get in garunteed money, for sports that are less likely to have major physicial repercussions when the players retire.

It seems to me that the appearance of the USFL and it running off with NFL and college players for "big" money really helped the players in the NFL even if the USFL kind of blew as a league.

The NFL even picked up a few innovations from the XFL so it is good that the NFL gets a little competition at least every now and then.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Elfdart wrote:
That's a pretty gutless bunch of receivers in NY.
At the risk of being out of context. This brings me back to Packman Jones' interception, and Plaxico Burress pretty much jogging to attempt a lame ass tackle. After he quite blatantly gave up on throw.

I realize that Packman is well aquainted with the Nashville PD, but Plaxico sweetheart, you're about 2.5 times his size, and you want to go to the playoffs right?
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Compare Plaxico Burress' half-hearted effort to what happened early in the Charger-Bronco game last week. Rivers was clobbered while trying to throw and the ball went almost straight up in the air like a punt with three Denver defenders waiting to catch the pop fly. Second-string wideout Vince Jackson lunged, desperately flailing away at the ball and the Broncos to keep them from catching it -and slapped the ball down. The thing every receiver is told from little league to the pros is to catch the ball, and if you can't catch it make sure the defender doesn't catch it!

Tom Coughlin is a good coach IMO, but he has a roster full of coach killers and he's going to be unemployed by New Year's Day.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

I'm kinda confused about the Baltimore-Cincinnati game being blacked out on NFL Network. Like, "Why the fuck am I being blacked out, guys?"
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Do you live in Baltimore or Cincy?
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Elfdart wrote:Do you live in Baltimore or Cincy?
Detroit area.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:
Elfdart wrote:Do you live in Baltimore or Cincy?
Detroit area.
There's a special bonus fee that carriers have to pay if they want NFL Network to show live games. Yours probably thought "it's only 7 times a year" and opted not to pay the fee.

Basically I don't see anything good about the NFL Network. Until they figure out this basic/premium cable situation the consumers are getting screwed between two huge monopolies.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

That's why I got DirecTV.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I like NFL Network, it's included in my Cox Digital Cable package without me paying extra for it specifically. Although I admit to not watching it at any time between the end of the Pro Bowl, and the NFL Draft.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

This week's winners:

Rams
Redskins
Patriots
Colts
Chiefs
Bears
Jets
Chargers
Saints
Texans
Dolphins
Cowboys
Steelers
Panthers
Seahawks

Thursday's Game, Cleveland at Pittsburgh: Who gives a shit?
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

That is a royal beatdown that the Jets have unleashed upon Lambeau Field. I would have to say it's been an historically bad first-half for the Packers at home.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

wow, 60-yard field goal from out of nowhere.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him