NFL Football Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

AIN'T THAT SOME SHIT!?.

Chargers win, Chiefs lose in overtime, Giants lose by a guy who's hardly kicked in 2 years, the only thing that would make this day perfect is if Seattle rips Denver a new one. Oh yeah, Colts dropped their game, bringing San Diego one step closer to homefield through out.

I mean, win, division-rivals losing, and Sheli-crybaby-Manning all in a day? :D :mrgreen: :twisted:

edit: how 'bout that Rex Grossman? 1.3 QB passer rating. :lol:

interim final edit: and now for the much-touted Jay Cutler to lead the Broncos, this should be interesting...
Last edited by Medic on 2006-12-03 08:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Things were looking pretty bad for the Lions. They were up 7-3 and driving, with first and goal from the five. They knew what fucking time it was.

It was time for some Lions football.

FUUUUMBLLLLE!

They came close to dropping the ball on this one, but it the end they pulled out a 28-21 loss to preserve first overall this spring.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Things were looking pretty bad for the Lions. They were up 7-3 and driving, with first and goal from the five. They knew what fucking time it was.

It was time for some Lions football.

FUUUUMBLLLLE!

They came close to dropping the ball on this one, but it the end they pulled out a 28-21 loss to preserve first overall this spring.
I still thought Arizona had a chance to surpass the Lions in the "L" column but that doesn't seem likely anymore. But maybe further down the draft board they can get Jarrett from USC and give Leinart a familiar big ol' target.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Garden Gnome

I'm just waiting to see whose career Matt Millen wishes to ruin, Brady Quinn's or Troy Smith's. If the asshole is smart (...), he'll trade down for some much needed O-line help, if the Lions Kitna being the most sacked QB in football is any indicator.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:I'm just waiting to see whose career Matt Millen wishes to ruin, Brady Quinn's or Troy Smith's. If the asshole is smart (...), he'll trade down for some much needed O-line help, if the Lions Kitna being the most sacked QB in football is any indicator.
If those are the choices I'm hoping that Mike Martz will be thinking that Brady Quinn fits his style of offense better. Although, if the Lions aren't going to show much concern for blocking Smith would probably be the better choice out of the two.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

On the one hand, it's a disgrace that 6-6 is good enough to not only have a mathematical chance of making the playoffs, but to actually be in the thick of the wild card race in the NFC.

On the other, the Eagles are still in line for the National Football Conference's annual "decide who gets to lose to the AFC champion in the Super Bowl" tournament. So I'll bemoan the sorry state of the NFC later.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

It's time to start culling the herd. Finally, we can start weeding out the lame-ass pretenders who have no business in playoffs. Luckily for the Carolina Furballs (man they choke on a Manningesque scale!), they get an even sorrier team to beat up on, so they won't be put out of their misery just yet. The Falcons also get to linger like a fart in an elevator, since they get to play a multitalentless Tampax Bay team. I'm so tempted to take the Suckaneers...

If there's a football equivalent of SD.Net, it has to be Cold Hard Football Facts. They have no patience for bullshit, demand that people back up their assertions, and have no mercy on lying, ignorant assholes. In other words, Skip Bayless is a whipping boy for them. Their QB rating system (take passing yardage, subtract 50 yards for eack pick, then divide by the combined number of passing attempts and sacks) is a much guage of how effective a QB is than the bogus rating system. It's a goldmine of info, and not just stats.

This weeks winners:

Falcons
Chiefs
Colts (bye bye Jaguars!)
Lions
Patriots
Panthers (bye bye Giants!)
Bengals
Eagles
Titans
49ers
Seahawks
Jets
Chargers (bye bye Broncos! maybe when Cutler starts shaving he'll be a real starter :roll: )
Cowboys

and...

UPSET!
Rams over Bears! No, I haven't been drinking, I just think the Rams are a good enough passing team to make the Bears pay, and Grossman's godawful passing (threw 19 passes, completed 9 of them: six to his team and 3 to the opposing team) will finally catch up to the Bears. The Bears can win the Super Bowl with mediocre quarterbacking (which Brian Griese can give them), but not this shit.
Darth Garden Gnome

You will regret your decision to pick Detroit.

I'm with you on Dallas over New Orleans. Brees's gaudy numbers don't mean nearly as much to me as the two losses against Cincy and Baltimore.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The Lions at least make an effort, which is more than can be said for the Vikings.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Still alive.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I couldn't stop laughing during the repeated highlights of Jacksonville vs. Indy. :lol:

:shock: Damn! What a time to have a team prove that the Colts absolutely can't stop the run. When Fred Taylor is healthy and on he can go off and today he did that but it was Maurice Jones-Drew who really did the damage to the Colts.

I watched the KC / Baltimore game, which was a rather decent old school grind it out game. At least from the Baltimore standpoint. I'm not sure what to call it from KC's view of things. Their defense played well but they just couldn't score points on offense.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Indy gave up not one but 2 100 YARD RUSHERS and dropped another one -- at one point in this game against Denver they pointed out in the last 45 minutes, the Chargers outscored Denver 49-6 between the last 2 games.

As it is right now, we're up 21-3, driving with less than 2 minutes left and on our way to 1st place baby! :mrgreen:
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

G-Men getting a big wild card win. Of course, this past month has ruined me. Three minutes left, Giants up by 17, and I'm biting my nails that Chris Weinke will lead the Panthers to defeat the Giants.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

CarsonPalmer wrote:G-Men getting a big wild card win. Of course, this past month has ruined me. Three minutes left, Giants up by 17, and I'm biting my nails that Chris Weinke will lead the Panthers to defeat the Giants.
I don't know what's funnier, the double post or that a guy with the name CarsonPalmer is cheering for the G-men. Just saying. :wink:

29! The record I mean, LT broke it in 13 games. He could've done this before the 16 game seasons. Now this IS the day and age of the feature back but it's all the more impressive -- he gets hundreds and hundreds of touches each year and can TAKE that kind of punishment and stay productive. I dunno about when he hits 30, but this is our best shot at a Super Bowl yet. At the very least, the Chargers will have a post-season run this year -- just clinched the division. :D
Last edited by Medic on 2006-12-10 07:29pm, edited 2 times in total.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Tsyroc wrote:

I watched the KC / Baltimore game, which was a rather decent old school grind it out game. At least from the Baltimore standpoint. I'm not sure what to call it from KC's view of things. Their defense played well but they just couldn't score points on offense.
It was a desaster for the Chiefs. Green kept getting picked off, plus a fumble. Yeesh. The only good thing I could say is that if they still had the defense they had two years ago, it wouldn't have had to go into over time.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:You will regret your decision to pick Detroit.

I'm with you on Dallas over New Orleans. Brees's gaudy numbers don't mean nearly as much to me as the two losses against Cincy and Baltimore.
'Nawlins up 21-7 at half [I'm not bothering to count Dallas for any points with 44 seconds]

Let's put your comment in persepctive: 1) Brees gaudy numbers, 2) two losses 3) [what you didn't mention] AFC TEAMS!

It's really that simple, I'm not surprised at all, big woop, they lost to 2 big-dawg AFC teams, tell me when that matters in the weaker NFC.
Darth Garden Gnome

Yeah, guess they showed me what's what. There's the NFL for ya.
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Quick, someone call the Hague, cuz there's a massacre going on in the Saints v Cowboys game. :D

Scores 42-17.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Fish crushing the Pats should be the story of the day.

Whoever thought D'Brickashaw Ferguson was going to handle Aaron Schobel needs help. That's 12.5 sacks on the year.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The most humiliating part was when the Saints took kneeldowns inside the Cowboys' 5 when they could have easily scored again. I haven't seen a whipping like that since Mel Gibson's The Splatter of the Christ.

I was also pleased that Al Michaels (whom I usually can't stand) ripped the fucktards who set off fireworks or whatever it was that covered the field with smoke at halftime and lingered until the 4th quarter. He called it "garbage" and he's right. IT'S A FUCKING DOME ASSHOLES!
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Bills bulldozed the Meadowlands. :lol:
JADAFETWA
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Kuja wrote:Bills bulldozed the Meadowlands. :lol:
Loved. Every. Second.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

I third Al Michaels remarks. Its rare to see an announcer take a stand like that, and I was stunned that he said it to begin with.

Troy Aikman made some comments during the Giants game that were truly idiotic. He stated that in Week 17, the Falcons would likely be eliminated from the playoffs, thus giving the Eagles an unfair advantage because the Falcons would likely just roll over. That, I would hope, should insult the Falcons, thus guaranteeing they don't roll over. If they do, its a disgrace.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

CarsonPalmer wrote:I third Al Michaels remarks. Its rare to see an announcer take a stand like that, and I was stunned that he said it to begin with.

Troy Aikman made some comments during the Giants game that were truly idiotic. He stated that in Week 17, the Falcons would likely be eliminated from the playoffs, thus giving the Eagles an unfair advantage because the Falcons would likely just roll over. That, I would hope, should insult the Falcons, thus guaranteeing they don't roll over. If they do, its a disgrace.
I don't know the man's name, but the Patriots are blessed with one of the most retarded radio announcers ever. The man was irate that TB's illegal forward pass was actually called.

Not only was it a no-brainer, but the tone this moron delivered his thesis in. Laden with wells, and ohs, and "you opinion"s and other whining ill thought bullshit.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Gil Santos? The yo-yos from The Ticket bust his balls on a constant basis. He's as bad as that other Boston announcer Most (I think that's his name), who used to do the Celtics games. A shameless homer.