NBSG-What is Starbuck's destiny?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

My roommates and I have hated Starbuck since we rewatched the series. Her character, for me, really turns for the worst during the Caprica arc where it was revealed that not only was Starbuck a tortured angsty artist, she was almost a professional pyramid player, and good enough take on Anders despite having a bum leg. Right around then she started to cross into Mary Sue land.

In addition to that she's supposed to be some kind of tactical genius, the best fighter pilot (EVAR), and an incredibly destructive person both to herself and to people around her for almost no reason I can tell.

Ever since New Caprica she's been even worse. I wish the writers would stop pumping angst into her.
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

At least they're consistent about it; they could have just glossed over the events of New Cap and thought they'd gotten away with it. While I won't make excuses for Starbuck before NC, I have to say that if what happened to her down there and then on Galactica's hanger after retrieval had happened to me, I would be an emotional wreck too(as it was, I was drained just watching that scene.)
Lord Poe wrote: Oh, fuck A-Team. You could cast Karen Traviss as Face and I wouldn't care!
(bows) Your witty rejoinders are always enjoyed, sir! :D
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Cao Cao
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cao Cao »

Lord Poe wrote:
tim31 wrote:Imagine how furious you'll be when they cast Kate Sackhoff as the Face in the A-Team remake :P
Oh, fuck A-Team. You could cast Karen Traviss as Face and I wouldn't care!
I pity the foo who don't respect the role of Face!
"I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode."~Teal'c
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

Crom wrote:My roommates and I have hated Starbuck since we rewatched the series. Her character, for me, really turns for the worst during the Caprica arc where it was revealed that not only was Starbuck a tortured angsty artist, she was almost a professional pyramid player, and good enough take on Anders despite having a bum leg. Right around then she started to cross into Mary Sue land.

In addition to that she's supposed to be some kind of tactical genius, the best fighter pilot (EVAR), and an incredibly destructive person both to herself and to people around her for almost no reason I can tell.

Ever since New Caprica she's been even worse. I wish the writers would stop pumping angst into her.
Psst..... You forgot the best sniper as well.

I hate in show character wank.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

petesampras wrote:Inhumanly strong and fast.
The closest relatives of our species - chimpanzees and bonobos - are about 10 times stronger than we are, yet share something like 99% of our DNA. Apparently, based on reality, you don't need extreme changes to make a significant difference in strength. Perhaps a careful analysis of muscle/tendon insertion points and such would reveal these differences but it would probably be pretty subtle.
Able to survive in a radioactive environment unassisted.
There are microbes that live in the coolant water of nuclear reactors. Cockroaches are infamous for tolerating radiation that would kill other creatures.

Mostly, what would be needed are better DNA repair mechanisms. The fact that Cylons don't reproduce as humans do mean they don't have to worry about gonadal damage, and if their body lifetimes are cut short by cancer they download into a new one. Cylons in higher radiation environments like post-war Caprica may, in fact, be sustaining damage but unlike humans it's damage they can repair and/or survive.
Able to survive immense water pressure.
OK, got me there - I didn't see the deleted scene referenced and I'm not sure how you'd get around that.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Sam Or I wrote:
Psst..... You forgot the best sniper as well.

Yeah, that was incredibly superflous and was obviously a paper-thin excuse to get Starbuck in the team storming the Astral Queen when she otherwise had no legitimate reason to be there at all.

"I'm the best shot in or out of the cockpit."

Yeah, you're a better sniper than a frakking Marine ... bullshit.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Vympel wrote:
Sam Or I wrote:Psst..... You forgot the best sniper as well.

Yeah, that was incredibly superflous and was obviously a paper-thin excuse to get Starbuck in the team storming the Astral Queen when she otherwise had no legitimate reason to be there at all.

"I'm the best shot in or out of the cockpit."

Yeah, you're a better sniper than a frakking Marine ... bullshit.
I was under the impression that the number of Marines onboard Galactica were few. It's always possible that Starbuck likes sharpshooting as a hobby.

She might not be Special Forces grade, but the context for that scene suggests to me that she might very well be the best sharpshooter on Galactica, which is possible if their marine contingent was understrength and didn't have any particularly exceptional sharpshooters. Maybe.

/rationalisations...
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Stofsk wrote: I was under the impression that the number of Marines onboard Galactica were few. It's always possible that Starbuck likes sharpshooting as a hobby.
Yeah, but it's still insipid Mary Sue bullshit.
:P
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Man, lay off. You're as bad on the series as Dirk Benedict himself...
Why? His criticisms are certainly valid in most respects. The show is a nearly unrelenting slog of disfunctional people and constant pessimism. That's perhaps the primary criticism of the show and it's hard to argue he's wrong.

I mean Starbuck is the golden child of the series, and she's an utterly wretched human being.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

The show is a nearly unrelenting slog of disfunctional people and constant pessimism. That's perhaps the primary criticism of the show and it's hard to argue he's wrong.
There might be a lot of dysfunctional people, but constant pessimism is hardly the term I'd use given the number of times that Galactica and crew have managed to win against the Cylons.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Uraniun235 wrote:
The show is a nearly unrelenting slog of disfunctional people and constant pessimism. That's perhaps the primary criticism of the show and it's hard to argue he's wrong.
There might be a lot of dysfunctional people, but constant pessimism is hardly the term I'd use given the number of times that Galactica and crew have managed to win against the Cylons.
I would make a distinction between them having luck and the show being rather pessimistic. In general the show has shown that things will go badly, people will fail, and things will generally just get worse.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Why? His criticisms are certainly valid in most respects. The show is a nearly unrelenting slog of disfunctional people and constant pessimism. That's perhaps the primary criticism of the show and it's hard to argue he's wrong.

I mean Starbuck is the golden child of the series, and she's an utterly wretched human being.
I don't find Benedict's criticisms valid, myself. His "Lost in Castration" article is a great big whiney little screed of bullshit, as far as I'm concerned. It's not true that all the men in the show are weak and all the women are strong. It's not true that the show is constantly pessimistic. And, what I find personally the most insulting, is his elitist shit about how nBSG is only popular because of the machinations of "technocrats" and "marketing" and similar bullshit- because that's the only explanation because why the campy, tacky crap of oBSG could be cancelled after one season but nBSG goes on and is quite popular, in his mind- people are stupid and they can't see that the show's actually terrible :roll:
Cao Cao
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cao Cao »

Vympel wrote:I don't find Benedict's criticisms valid, myself. His "Lost in Castration" article is a great big whiney little screed of bullshit, as far as I'm concerned. It's not true that all the men in the show are weak and all the women are strong. It's not true that the show is constantly pessimistic. And, what I find personally the most insulting, is his elitist shit about how nBSG is only popular because of the machinations of "technocrats" and "marketing" and similar bullshit- because that's the only explanation because why the campy, tacky crap of oBSG could be cancelled after one season but nBSG goes on and is quite popular, in his mind- people are stupid and they can't see that the show's actually terrible :roll:
Wow. Sour grapes much? Yeah it's so much worse that the sole purpose of 90% of the women on the show isn't to be fucked by a male Starbuck. :roll:
He sounds like a whiner; Richard Hatch arguably lost more out of this since he was trying to get his own continuation of oBSG made and he doesn't constantly bitch about nBSG.
"I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode."~Teal'c
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Cao Cao wrote: Wow. Sour grapes much? Yeah it's so much worse that the sole purpose of 90% of the women on the show isn't to be fucked by a male Starbuck. :roll:
He sounds like a whiner; Richard Hatch arguably lost more out of this since he was trying to get his own continuation of oBSG made and he doesn't constantly bitch about nBSG.
Richard Hatch is a stand-up guy- he understood what RDM was trying to do with his remake and even though it wasn't what he wanted to do, he was happy to be a part of it, and his character on the show is immensely popular.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Hell yeah, I'd totally buy a car off Tom Zarek :D

I wasn't aware Dirk Benedict's feelings on the show, and I'm a bit disappointed in him, but to each their own.

As for claims that it's all too dark and depressing, I offer some of my favorite moments in spoilerized form:

*"I'm putting the fleet back together." Bill puts aside his differences for the sake of the 'family'
*the Blackbird's dedication- "Laura" being unveiled
*"You're not going to believe what I'm looking at!" - Lee in Pegasus; absolutely no foreshadowing in that scene which made it thoroughly enjoyable for me
*"I care about you! I always have." My favorite deckhand, Cally, proving that males in any culture are usually oblivious to female admirers.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

Vympel wrote: It's not true that all the men in the show are weak and all the women are strong.
If he really said this, then it does sound like sour grapes. In the Mini Adama beats a man with a flashlight rather violently, and he only gets more badass as time goes on. Tigh isn't much far behind and makes some tough choices. The last thing I would call Tigh is weak or soft. The fact that they have their own inbuilt character flaws and aren't perfect 1950s-1980s era moral highground wind up dolls is a good thing.

However, they do seem to push those boundries at times with all the angstiness.

To call all females strong and all males weak is the height of idiocy, though.
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Vympel wrote:Richard Hatch is a stand-up guy- he understood what RDM was trying to do with his remake
"Remake" my ass. The only thing remotely connecting the new show to the old show is the name. What Moore did was write his own scifi show, and then sold it buy plugging in names of characters and the most basic premise of the old show. If he had any balls, he wouldn't have butchered the old show and sold his story on its own merits.

Yup, the "new" Starbuck, who can outfly, outshoot, outgamble, oufight, outsmoke, and outfuck any man on the show. Now that's "re-imagining", folks. :roll:

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Stormbringer wrote:I would make a distinction between them having luck and the show being rather pessimistic. In general the show has shown that things will go badly, people will fail, and things will generally just get worse.
That's really not the impression I get when I watch the show. Yeah, sometimes things look bleak and desperate, but do you honestly expect sunshine and puppies every day from a single Battlestar against the entire Cylon fleet? Goddamn near every battle with the Cylons has been a Colonial victory, what the hell more do you want? A big party after the battle - oh, wait, we even got that after they took out the Cylon base in Hand of God.

Things just get worse? They found Kobol! They found a map which is leading them to Earth! They found the fucking Pegasus! And with that, they were able to build replacement Vipers! What the fuck more do you want?
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Lord Poe wrote:Image
First, yeah, god forbid any woman be a better hotshot ace than a dude. You're right that it's ridiculous she's seemingly a superhero, but it would be just as ridiculous if Starbuck were still a man.

Second, okay, I understand that it sucks that campy space opera, as a genre, is pretty much dead. No, I'm not being sarcastic, I think it sucks too. But look. It's been three years now, and neo-Battlestar Galactica has proven itself as quality television... and you're still spewing the same bile that was being tossed around before the miniseries had aired. (A miniseries which some of us still don't care for all that much, mind.)

Okay, you're bitter at neoBSG for dashing any hopes of a 'true remake'. We get that. But if you're going to hold onto your grudge, could you at least watch a few episodes so that you have some fresh criticisms to offer? Or hell, crib them from someone else who hates the show but watches it anyway, I don't care. But three years later and you're still whining about 'Starbuck should be a man'? Let it go, man. None of us care any more that Starbuck turned into a woman.
What is Project Zohar?
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

Uraniun235 wrote: First, yeah, god forbid any woman be a better hotshot ace than a dude. You're right that it's ridiculous she's seemingly a superhero, but it would be just as ridiculous if Starbuck were still a man.
I don't care if she is a woman, a man or transgender. The in unversing wanking is what I hate. I love the show, but every time it shows Starbuck being the best at another activity it pisses me off. (This is the reason I was turned off from Harry Potter, the first movie was my first introduction, and the in universe wank for Harry Potter was sickening.) I can accept the best pilot, and even being good tactician, but the best sniper, and pyramid player. Its just too much wankage. They should really leave some of these awesome skills to secondary characters.
petesampras
Jedi Knight

Post by petesampras »

Uraniun235 wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:I would make a distinction between them having luck and the show being rather pessimistic. In general the show has shown that things will go badly, people will fail, and things will generally just get worse.
That's really not the impression I get when I watch the show. Yeah, sometimes things look bleak and desperate, but do you honestly expect sunshine and puppies every day from a single Battlestar against the entire Cylon fleet? Goddamn near every battle with the Cylons has been a Colonial victory, what the hell more do you want? A big party after the battle - oh, wait, we even got that after they took out the Cylon base in Hand of God.

Things just get worse? They found Kobol! They found a map which is leading them to Earth! They found the fucking Pegasus! And with that, they were able to build replacement Vipers! What the fuck more do you want?
I tell you something else that pissed me off. The decision to sacrifice the Pegasus for the Galactica. How does that make any sense at all?
Cao Cao
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cao Cao »

petesampras wrote:I tell you something else that pissed me off. The decision to sacrifice the Pegasus for the Galactica. How does that make any sense at all?
Galactica's character shield, obviously. 8)
Really, Adama should've transferred his command to the Pegasus the moment she lost her CO. Let Lee command the Bucket.
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Uraniun235 wrote:First, yeah, god forbid any woman be a better hotshot ace than a dude.
Because, as we know, this is the norm in post-Xena Warrior Princess entertainment. Its just not the norm in the span of human civilization.
You're right that it's ridiculous she's seemingly a superhero, but it would be just as ridiculous if Starbuck were still a man.

Stupid, but not as ridiculous. Show me one woman on the WNBA that can hold a candle to an NBA player, for instance.
Second, okay, I understand that it sucks that campy space opera, as a genre, is pretty much dead. No, I'm not being sarcastic, I think it sucks too. But look. It's been three years now, and neo-Battlestar Galactica has proven itself as quality television... and you're still spewing the same bile that was being tossed around before the miniseries had aired. (A miniseries which some of us still don't care for all that much, mind.)
Yes, absofuckinlutely. "neo-Battlestar Galactica" shouldn't share the name of the old show if sets out to change every damned thing that MADE IT Battlestar Galactica. If this new show is so much better, then why can't it stand on its own two feet instead of shiting on the original show that many people loved?

Star Wars is a silly, campy space opera too. You think I wouldn't be "spewing the same bile" if Moore decided to "re-imagine" it, and make Han Solo female, and hire Marcy Darcy from "Married With Children" to play "her"?

Then, Moore would get rid of all those "silly" space opera trappings, and "re-imagine" Star Wars to take place in a trailer park in Iowa instead of a galaxy far, far away. The Millennium Falcon would be an 18 wheeler, and Luke and Ben hire Han to rescue Luke's sister from the Dallas compound of an evil oil baron.

But see, since it would be a hard hitting adult drama, named "Star Wars", I'd have no call to cry bullshit.
Okay, you're bitter at neoBSG for dashing any hopes of a 'true remake'. We get that. But if you're going to hold onto your grudge, could you at least watch a few episodes so that you have some fresh criticisms to offer?
Why would I waste my time watching a piece of trash that shit on the original concept, for the sake of selling itself under a brand name because the producers didn't think it would hold up under its own original concept?

People think that they need to "fix" the campy shows of the past with todays XTREEEEEMEEE concepts. Hey fuckheads, we KNOW the old shows were campy. I keep read these stupid-ass concepts for a "Six Million Dollar Man" remake, like having six "One Million Dollar Men" running around an airport and getting blown up, and Chris Rock as a baggage attendant getting caught in the middle of the blast. So the new, improved comedy concept was to put Chris Rock back together from the pieces of the six bionic men.

Yep, those "re-imaginings" are about as wonderful as the untalented fuckheads who write the worst of fan-fiction.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

petesampras wrote:I tell you something else that pissed me off. The decision to sacrifice the Pegasus for the Galactica. How does that make any sense at all?
It's not like the characters in-universe decided a ship would be destroyed, and then decided it would be Pegasus.
Cao Cao wrote:Really, Adama should've transferred his command to the Pegasus the moment she lost her CO. Let Lee command the Bucket.
Yeah, because the crew of the Pegasus were big fans of Adama right after Cain died.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Lord Poe wrote:
Uraniun235 wrote:First, yeah, god forbid any woman be a better hotshot ace than a dude.
Because, as we know, this is the norm in post-Xena Warrior Princess entertainment. Its just not the norm in the span of human civilization.
You're right that it's ridiculous she's seemingly a superhero, but it would be just as ridiculous if Starbuck were still a man.

Stupid, but not as ridiculous. Show me one woman on the WNBA that can hold a candle to an NBA player, for instance.
Right, because no woman could possibly fly anything as well as a man - is that what you're saying?

:roll:

If you had dinged them on her ability to fight men and super-strong Cylons one-on-one I might have agreed with you, but --
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice