Jesus Camp

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

AK_Jedi
Padawan Learner

Jesus Camp

Post by AK_Jedi »

This documentary was released a few months ago, but if you haven't seen it, it's posted online here

This is a very disturbing documentary about ultra-evangelical kids going to bible camp and getting indoctrinated. Watching this movie, I felt better than ever in my decision to become an atheist.

If you don't have enough time to watch the entire movie, a couple of the juicier clips are posted here

EDIT: Sorry, wrong forum, can somebody move to SLAM?
Why does he keep looking at you in the same way a starving man looks at a packet of peanuts?
It's because he can't wait to get the wrapper off and taste the salty goodness! --Kryten, Red Dwarf

Understanding is a very loaded word. --Dr. Paul
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Interesting. The Christian nutacase in the second movie clip actually admits that she finds indoctrination is a good thing.
Of course she doesn´t understand that "it´s good because everyone else does it, too." is a pretty retarded statement.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Say hello to the American al-Qaeda.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

If every thing the Muslims did was OK then why don't we all just become Muslims?
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

IIRC, there was so much bad publicity for the camp following this documentary, they shut down indefinitely. Ironically, the people who ran the camp initially supported the documentary during its production.

:D
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Self-pwn, gg!

I seriously hope this film has a few spiritual successors exposing the Talibanesque direction Christianity is being forced into by assholes such as the Jesus Camp people.
Image Image
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Davis 51 wrote:IIRC, there was so much bad publicity for the camp following this documentary, they shut down indefinitely. Ironically, the people who ran the camp initially supported the documentary during its production.
And Haggart got his. The Atheist Consipracy has been working hard.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

I've seen adults and teenagers get to the weeping and falling over at the podium stages but for kids that are 8, 9 or 10 years old?? If anything, that is psychological child abuse. Speaking of which, I did notice towards the end how Becky Fischer was expressing her fear of her loved ones being damned to hell. She appeared sincerely afraid and determined to keep that childish fear from coming to fruition without actually taking the time to analyze those fears. It had that sense of mental illness to her.
Darth Judas
BANNED

Post by Darth Judas »

I refuse to watch this. Just seeing the trailer gave me the creeps.

*shudders*
LeftWingExtremist
Padawan Learner

Post by LeftWingExtremist »

Darth Judas wrote:I refuse to watch this. Just seeing the trailer gave me the creeps.

*shudders*
Me too, and it was only three quaters the way in. This is scary stuff.

"...And everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon." - eclipse, Pink Floyd.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Moved as per request.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Magus
Padawan Learner

Post by Magus »

::Shrug:: They're reading Chick tracts (girl in video two, bowling)...what can you expect? :roll:
"As James ascended the spiral staircase towards the tower in a futile attempt to escape his tormentors, he pondered the irony of being cornered in a circular room."
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

You can get a decent torrent out there. I'm going to watch this, if only because I've got something of an interest in how the American religious right lives. That recent Channel 4 documentary on that new college pouring out fundies to take control of the White House was bad, but this may surpass it.
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

This is really hard to watch. I'm not sure how far I'll get. It's just so scary and sad.
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

I saw a trailer of the documentary a few months ago.

When I saw kids crying and writhing on the floor because they were "filled with the Holy Spirit" I couldn't watch any more of it.

No thanks, I'll pass. I already know how crazy they are.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

CaptJodan wrote:This is really hard to watch. I'm not sure how far I'll get. It's just so scary and sad.
I probably will watch it eventually, but it's going to be hard. The worst part of the trailer was the kid shaking on the ground and people were staring in awe. THE KID LOOKED LIKE HE WAS HAVING A FUCKING SEIZURE.
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
Yoda
Youngling

Post by Yoda »

Two "Pledges of alliegiance" from the second part of the full documentary.
Note: Some parts were incomprehensible and may be incorrect, but the core product remains the same.

I pledge alleigiance to the Christian flag , to his saviour to his kingdom for which it stands. One Brotherhood uniting all christians in (incomprehensible) and in love.

I pledge alliegiance to the bible, God's holy word. I will make it a lamp unto my being and a light unto my path. I swear in my heart that I might not sin against God.
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

Well, I finished it, despite my nearly bailing at certain points. Jaw dropping immorality.

The kids talking about how dying for this cause doesn't hold with it fear or anything is just....too much for words. How I wished there was a way to try and get those kids some help. Social services should be called upon those parents for stuff like this. How does someone wrap their brain around the concept that if the Muslims (the vast majority of which DON'T do this) indoctrinate their children to go on a holy war, that it's ok for us to do it too?

Actively promoting a war...not really surprising, I suppose. But it just shocks me that shit like this was aired out in the open with all to see.

Watching Teddy make his speech about being paid not to tell his wife what he did last night. All too priceless to see these days. Probably the one bright spot in the whole damn thing.
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

CaptJodan wrote:Social services should be called upon those parents for stuff like this.
Thinking along those lines, I've wondered why the fuck are these people not being prosecuted for psychological child abuse?
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

Pint0 Xtreme wrote: Thinking along those lines, I've wondered why the fuck are these people not being prosecuted for psychological child abuse?
I guess the same reason actual child abuse has been handled internally in the Catholic Church. It's a religion, and to attack these people based on psychological child abuse is to discriminate against that religion. Since there is a certain level of psychological abuse to any religious indoctrination as we know it, I'm sure it's hard to draw a line between what they do and what a normal church does when JUST hating gays or calling for people to vote against Stem Cell research.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Hmm, one part of it reminds me of Robin Williams' gig...

"What are we supposed to say? One nation under Dog..."
Nate_A
Redshirt

Re: Jesus Camp

Post by Nate_A »

AK_Jedi wrote:This is a very disturbing documentary about ultra-evangelical kids going to bible camp and getting indoctrinated.
As Richard Dawkins would say, they are the children of ultra-evangelical parents, not ultra-evangelical children. They are too immature to make an informed decision to become evangelicals, and are really just doing what their parents tell them. ( Although, the same could be said of most adult evangelicals; so the value of the distinction is debatable. )
Pint0 Xtreme wrote:Thinking along those lines, I've wondered why the fuck are these people not being prosecuted for psychological child abuse?
Telling children that they are worthless scum, deserving of eternity in hell is something that nearly half the parents in the United States do. Jesus Camp is extraordinary in the extent to which it beats children over the head with religious dogma, but the ideas themselves are not unpopular. Until these acts are perceived as wrong, they will not be prosecuted. Other than that, there is absolutely no reason not to lock these people up.
Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Post by Vaporous »

It's actually physically painful to watch this. I'm having trouble getting through it.
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Re: Jesus Camp

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Nate_A wrote:Telling children that they are worthless scum, deserving of eternity in hell is something that nearly half the parents in the United States do. Jesus Camp is extraordinary in the extent to which it beats children over the head with religious dogma, but the ideas themselves are not unpopular.
I would argue that content of the ideas are not the only factor. Certainly the manner in which they are taught to children makes a world of difference. There's telling your children that they are worthless scum and there's beating it into their head so hard that they are pressured into crying and faking seizures over it.
Until these acts are perceived as wrong, they will not be prosecuted.
Unfortunately, there's more truth to that than any of us would like it.
Other than that, there is absolutely no reason not to lock these people up.
No one said anything about locking them up. An intervention by social services would be more than adequate.
Bronx
Redshirt

Post by Bronx »

Must....worship......the...flimsy...........cardboard...........Bush. :shock: