Battlestar Galactica music video

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

I started to like the show because of the military atmosphere of it. (Granted, I feel this has started to slip in the 3rd season.) Very few Sci Fi shows show the enlisted people doing enlisted jobs. (You can argue Chief O'Brien, but he was doing everything Geordi would be doing) You can deinately see the difference between an Enlisted member and a

As for the Drama, 50,000 people is not that many, I live in a city with over 10x the population in the fleet, and it still feels like a small town. I just recently found out this girl that is a friend, knew and hated my ex girl friend back a few years back. Oh and she was best friends with the guy that my ex cheated on me with. This is a normal occurance in real life. I have a few more stories that are 90210 worthy drama, (Some even Jerry Springer worthy) because in real life stuff like that does happen. To think there is not going to be petty drama with so few people is very unrealistic.

All that being said, I can see why people do not like the new show. Its dark, very depressing at points. Some issues are not comfortable. There is still some campiness to nBSG. (The Stealth Ship, the one Jump in a Cylon Raider back to Caprica, hell flying a cylon raider off the planet and out manuvering Apollo, the Starbuck wank.)

Is the show perfect, hell no. Is it for everyone, no. Do I think it is the best Sci Fi show on TV, yes.
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

MKSheppard wrote:Starbuck's soooo ICONIC that I mix up Apollo and Starbuck!
Or maybe you can't get your facts straight?
Actually, that IS starbuck to me.
Actually, that's Marcy Darcy to me.

MKSheppard wrote:Let's recap what Wayne is waxing poetic over:
HOT SWEATY CAMP ACTION!

And let's review what is making Shep's panties moist:

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Lord Poe wrote:
MKSheppard wrote:Starbuck's soooo ICONIC that I mix up Apollo and Starbuck!
Or maybe you can't get your facts straight?
Doesn't really matter, it was the same character anyway.
:D
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Spyder wrote:Doesn't really matter, it was the same character anyway.
Really? So both smoked cigars, gambled constantly, chased women (including Apollo's sister), would rather avoid danger than head into it, was a reluctant hero, had a wife that died, had an adopted kid, and was a son to Adama? :roll:

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Lord Poe wrote:
Spyder wrote:Doesn't really matter, it was the same character anyway.
Really? So both smoked cigars, gambled constantly, chased women (including Apollo's sister), would rather avoid danger than head into it, was a reluctant hero, had a wife that died, had an adopted kid, and was a son to Adama? :roll:
Oh I'm sorry. It is my opinion that they are the same character. I'm a little new at this you see, I often forget to inoculate myself against having to back up any of my claims. :D
:D
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Anyone who could describe Gaius Baltar as a mewling crybaby is one of three things:

1. Blind, and deaf.

2. Has traitorous hands.

3. Doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about.

Since, you know, getting laid with a different hot woman every day of the week, shooting a crazed marine in the head and becoming the President are real signs of weakness and indecisiveness.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

nitpick: shooting a crazed pilot in the back. at least if you're refernecing Crashdown
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

MKSheppard wrote:It must really burn you people up that neo BSG has:

1.) Lasted Longer than oBSG.
2.) Gained more of an audience than oBSG.
3.) Gained more critical acclaim than oBSG.
What kind of ratings did oBSG get? I know that neoBSG does well for a cable show but what are the actual numbers of people tuning in for the two shows?
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Well, I've heard that the oBSG got about 60 million viewers at one time.
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

MKSheppard wrote:
Vympel wrote:Oh. My. God.

That ... really says it all.

I'm going to go wash my bleeding eyes.
*prepares tapes of Galactica: 1980*
Don't bother. Every oBSG fan knows G-1980 was simply one of Starbuck's nightmares after a particularaly rowdy all-night kegger.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:becoming the President are real signs of weakness and indecisiveness.
Hot and cold running interns! :D
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Uraniun235 wrote:
MKSheppard wrote:It must really burn you people up that neo BSG has:

1.) Lasted Longer than oBSG.
2.) Gained more of an audience than oBSG.
3.) Gained more critical acclaim than oBSG.
What kind of ratings did oBSG get? I know that neoBSG does well for a cable show but what are the actual numbers of people tuning in for the two shows?
I'm looking around, but so far I can see that it ranked 20th out of 100 at the time by the Nielson ratings, and that the first part of "Saga of a Star World " was #1 when it aired with 65 million viewers.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

MKSheppard wrote:
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:becoming the President are real signs of weakness and indecisiveness.
Hot and cold running interns! :D
And he did have the balls to ask an idealist with a gun who hated his guts to shoot him, then convinced him to let him go defuse a nuke. That takes balls.

Oh, and of course surviving a kind of torture that involves sticking something sharp into his ear until his brain bleeds.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Gaius is on the edge a lot recently, but he's surrounded by comfort AND the kinds of people who want to gut him, torture him, or just kill him fast. That and his entire species thinks he's a worthless traitor, so he's in a bad spot. Gaius likes what makes Gaius happy, and getting killed or despised throughout history is not sitting well with him, which is part of what came out last episode.

As for the Starbuck/Starbuck controversy, I really hope they make another Galactica show, with the characters basically done over as they were originally just so we can move past this. As for the Law and Order comparison, I like both. I dislike CSI and those other shows, and I dislike the new season of Law and Order too, they seem too focused on being edgy and full of kinky sex crime. I miss the older episodes with ugly old cops tracking down some random dude who shot some other random dude. Not every crime needs to have the fate of the legal system hanging in the balance, ya' know?

What I liked about nBSG originally was the sense of smallness and frailness of the fleet and characters. I admit, the recent turn towards forcing dark pasts and such on the crew seems a little contrived. There was more than enough completely reasonable simmering anger that could have been examined due to the Vichy France effect of collaborators in the midst, and it got settled real fast and left with a bit of a void.

It's not perfect. But it seems like so much of the angst is centered around the way in which the show was changed, rather than the merits of the new show itself. Since I never saw the original Galactica besides the 1980 version, I thought Galactica-1980 was Battlestar Galactica. I'm sure there's a lot of the rest of us who haven't seen the original either, so I'm not sure you can blame someone for wanting to update a 70's-80's show and not make just another campy space pilots show.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:Oh, and of course surviving a kind of torture that involves sticking something sharp into his ear until his brain bleeds.
I don't think it was his brain that was bleeding but his ear, and I don't think that implement was sharp but some kind of sonic device.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Stofsk wrote:
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:Oh, and of course surviving a kind of torture that involves sticking something sharp into his ear until his brain bleeds.
I don't think it was his brain that was bleeding but his ear, and I don't think that implement was sharp but some kind of sonic device.
Whatever it was, it looked quite unpleasant, I'm sure we can both agree.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Covenant wrote: As for the Law and Order comparison, I like both. I dislike CSI and those other shows, and I dislike the new season of Law and Order too, they seem too focused on being edgy and full of kinky sex crime. I miss the older episodes with ugly old cops tracking down some random dude who shot some other random dude. Not every crime needs to have the fate of the legal system hanging in the balance, ya' know?
Wait, I thought they made a series just for exploring the perverse sex crimes, Law and Order: SVU. You're saying vanilla Law and Order has switched to focusing on those too? Image
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Anyone who thinks Baltar is a mewling cry-baby is obviously not aware of the time when he calmly walked into Sharon's cell, poisoned the Chief, and threatened Sharon with his imminent death until she told him what the fuck he wanted to know, right the fuck now.

Then of course there's when he faced Gaeta holding a pistol to his face and convinced him to let him stop Three- nevermind his resolve to blow Three away before Six stopped him (a great Baltar moment- he's very good when he's brandishing a pistol).
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Uraniun235 wrote:
Covenant wrote: As for the Law and Order comparison, I like both. I dislike CSI and those other shows, and I dislike the new season of Law and Order too, they seem too focused on being edgy and full of kinky sex crime. I miss the older episodes with ugly old cops tracking down some random dude who shot some other random dude. Not every crime needs to have the fate of the legal system hanging in the balance, ya' know?
Wait, I thought they made a series just for exploring the perverse sex crimes, Law and Order: SVU. You're saying vanilla Law and Order has switched to focusing on those too? Image
Yeah, it's pretty clear that with this new season they're going for a new demographic. Where before there were really no kinky sex crimes, now they've figured into most of the new episodes, or terrorism, or something. You know, sensational headlines crap. And instead of Fontana, they have this hip young female cop who wears clothes with a plunging neckline and this cadaverous, hideously gaunt female lawyer (along with Jack) who I suppose is supposed to bring something to it.

I think she might be supposed to be hip too--one episode dealt with a murder-for-hire case dealing with sex, rape, kinky sex murder and so on all in one package along with the actual crime, the murder. At one point the lawyer girl is like "You gonna answer that? It's a bumblebee ringtone." And the girl is like, omigosh, astonished you know!?? "Adults aren't supposed to be able to hear those!" she protests. Obviously this female lawyer's superpower is that she's able to maintain youthful hearing well into her whatever age she is.

I'd rather listen to Jack and his assistant debate the rule of law, sometimes preachily, than suffer through that. If I liked comedy shows, I'd watch those.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Covenant wrote:
Since I never saw the original Galactica besides the 1980 version, I thought Galactica-1980 was Battlestar Galactica. I'm sure there's a lot of the rest of us who haven't seen the original either, so I'm not sure you can blame someone for wanting to update a 70's-80's show and not make just another campy space pilots show.
Oh, try catching the original pilot on sci-fi. Or the Living Legend and hand of God. This are the better episodes. There's a reason why many people still like the oBSG Cain than the new one. Patton in Space!!!
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

What I've heard about oBSG Cain makes him out to sound like a totally awesome dude. I'll poke around with my TiVO and look for some good episodes. While I may not think that camp is the right direction for a modern show, I do love some of those old shows anyway. I got some episodes of The Prisoner, and that's a totally sweet show. It'd make a good 're-imagined' series.

Speaking of British stuff, any idea when the next season of Hustle is coming out?
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Covenant wrote:Since I never saw the original Galactica besides the 1980 version, I thought Galactica-1980 was Battlestar Galactica.
Oh, holy fuckin' cock-Christ...

Galactica 1980 was definitely not Battlestar Galactica. G1980 is the worst piece of shit ever to be put on television. If ST Voyager had three seasons that just contained the episode "Threshold", it would be quality TV when compared to G1980. The network canceled BSG after its first season, mainly because each episode cost 1 million to make. Then when a huge fan outcry came up, they tried to revive it without Apollo or Starbuck, where Galactica finds Earth. Take a shit in your toilet and film the waste as you flush it--you've just made better TV than G1980 could ever hope to be.

Here's some actual BSG to get you started:

1978 Battlestar Galactica (part 1)

1978 Battlestar Galactica (part 2)

Battlestar Galactica: The Teasers!
Vympel wrote:Anyone who thinks Baltar is a mewling cry-baby is obviously not aware of the time when he calmly walked into Sharon's cell, poisoned the Chief, and threatened Sharon with his imminent death until she told him what the fuck he wanted to know, right the fuck now.
For fuck's sake. Why was everyone asking for my comments about what I did see of nBSG and then when I post it, completely ignore it? Obviously, I'm not talking about one or two episodes from a season after the nBSG episodes I saw. So he was better controlled by the Cylons a season later; so what? He was still a little emo pussy when he was introduced, and several episodes after that as well.

Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

ray245 wrote:Back on topic, http://youtube.com/watch?v=utWxIfIFXaQ this video is rather nice, and i enjoy the music.
That video just pwns. The rendition of the Colonial Anthem proves that a proper redo will un-suck any music!

Good synch with the battle scenes too. :D

Oh, and the flamewar in this thread absolutely blows worm-infested bloody monkey-diarrhea. :P
Image Image
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Take a shit in your toilet and film the waste as you flush it--you've just made better TV than G1980 could ever hope to be.
I'd agree except for four words: The Return of Starbuck, episode 10. The only G80 episode to reach oBSG quality.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Lord Poe wrote:
Covenant wrote:Since I never saw the original Galactica besides the 1980 version, I thought Galactica-1980 was Battlestar Galactica.
Oh, holy fuckin' cock-Christ...

Galactica 1980 was definitely not Battlestar Galactica. G1980 is the worst piece of shit ever to be put on television. If ST Voyager had three seasons that just contained the episode "Threshold", it would be quality TV when compared to G1980. The network canceled BSG after its first season, mainly because each episode cost 1 million to make. Then when a huge fan outcry came up, they tried to revive it without Apollo or Starbuck, where Galactica finds Earth. Take a shit in your toilet and film the waste as you flush it--you've just made better TV than G1980 could ever hope to be.

Here's some actual BSG to get you started:

1978 Battlestar Galactica (part 1)

1978 Battlestar Galactica (part 2)

Battlestar Galactica: The Teasers!
While old-fashioned fun, I can't help but cringe at the way the Colonial Fleet was destroyed in oBSG. It's even worse than nBSGs take. President Adar was a total idiot.

And why the hell did none of the other Battlestars launch fighters?
For fuck's sake. Why was everyone asking for my comments about what I did see of nBSG and then when I post it, completely ignore it? Obviously, I'm not talking about one or two episodes from a season after the nBSG episodes I saw. So he was better controlled by the Cylons a season later; so what?
That's just it, he wasn't being controlled by the Cylons at all.
He was still a little emo pussy when he was introduced, and several episodes after that as well.
He was recovering from the fact that he was inadvertently responsible for the genocide of the (known) human race- all I'm saying is that you've only seen the Miniseries and two episodes, and things have progressed.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/