Favorite genre of music?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

NomAnor15
Padawan Learner

Favorite genre of music?

Post by NomAnor15 »

Searched, but couldn't find this. If this topic has been done before, I apologize. I'll start it off with metal, and just about any subgenre of it.

Edited a small spelling problem.
"I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish." - Homer Simpson
Huh. That's less than 10 condoms per person. Though, assuming an even split between gender, that's almost 20 condoms per penis, so I certainly hope that would suffice for the three weeks they're there. -Alferd Packer

This sentence is false.
darthbob88
Jedi Knight

Post by darthbob88 »

I'm fond of bluegrass music, personally. I like old-style string bands especially, and volunteer at the Bluegrass Festival every summer.
This message approved by the sages Anon and Ibid.
Any views expressed herein are my own unless otherwise noted, and very likely wrong.
I shave with Occam's Razor.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I like many types of music, but if I had to live with only one then Classical (hands down)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Hard rock, especially the older stuff like AC/DC and Led Zeppelin.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Two equal favorites. Hard rock such as Iron Maiden, Motely Crue and such. The second one is classics such Betheoven, Brhams.
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

Since the non-classical stuff I listen to is all over the place and usually isn't really classifiable anyway, I'd go with classical.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

i second Dalton, but I have a very wide range of tastes around that hard-rock nucleus.
Image Image
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I do like a lot of things, especially between 1960-1990, but I also like some baroque, classical, and romantic, as well as various medieval tunes both inspired and authentic. However, if I had to absolutely name one genre...

Well, can't go wrong with heavy metal. 1972-1989. 8)
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Punkrock
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

punk and ska.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

My favorite genre is that which TOOL belongs to, which is difficult to say. Sometimes they can be classified as hard rock, sometimes alternative, and sometimes metal. Oh, and recently I have taken a liking into the Dark Ambient genre. See Lustmord.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Twee pop. And a bit of indie rock.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I like anything with lots of strings and keyboards, basically. So anything from Industrial to Metal to Electronica and Jpop as long as it sounds good. I really don't like country or rap though.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Hard Rock or good techno(yeah it's subjective, but I've heard some real shit).

I like other genres but nothing puts me in the mood of doing something manly as easily as those two.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Non-lyrical, which basically includes (for me) classical and the movie/TV/game scores (as well as the good VG music remixes and the like). Also the occasional techno/dance/electronica/etc that catches my ear.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

A broad range, but my favourite is electronic music, specifically downtempo, ambient techno, and IDM: artists like Boards of Canada and Chris Clark.
Last edited by Spanky The Dolphin on 2006-12-13 07:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Oldies. My playlist includes:

Gordon Lightfoot
The Eagles
Jimmy Buffet (both old and new stuff)
Supertramp
The Police
Stevie Wonder
Harry Chapin
Don McLean
The Boss (Springsteen, for you uneducated people)
Bob Seeger
Cab Calloway
Queen

All of this alongside

Various classical
Big Band Swing
Sax solo artists (Trane, Rollins, &ct.)
Sade
Hootie and the Blowfish
Rockapella
Andrew Lloyd Webber and various other show writers.

I don't think I really have a favorite. . .
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

Honestly it depends on my mood.

I can enjoy classical, rock, (all types), metal, dance, jazz, you name it. Pretty much everything except country and rap.
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
NomAnor15
Padawan Learner

Post by NomAnor15 »

Dalton wrote:Hard rock, especially the older stuff like AC/DC and Led Zeppelin.

How about Black Sabbath? Around the same time, similar (sort of) kind of music, what do you think of them? Definitely my favorite band ever.
Huh. That's less than 10 condoms per person. Though, assuming an even split between gender, that's almost 20 condoms per penis, so I certainly hope that would suffice for the three weeks they're there. -Alferd Packer

This sentence is false.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

I have to 2nd my mood plays a choice in what I'll play but if I had to pick a favorite, hands down, drum and bass. Now that video is rightly wierd, but the music is just plain awesome. As far as that video goes for a representation of the DnB genre, that song is actually quite slow. A lot [I'd hazard an over %50 majority but I could be wrong] has very fast BPM's of 150 and higher. One more example. That song as far as DnB goes is very trance-infused but in my experience, the genre of DnB has spun off so many unique sounds -- jazzy, soul, hardcore, sorta Spaghetti westernish -- it's hard to pin down something that's representative of "most" of the music. That is why I love it though!

Finally, the "good techno" bit had me chuckle in agreement Ghost Rider. I've sort of given up on the music as a genre since so much of it sounds like it was put through a cookie cutter of creativity and spat out en masse. Buy one of those hour-long mixed CD's and you'll see what I mean -- don't be surprised if not even ONE song sticks out from the rest.

I must admit though, my tastes are very eclectic though, with a slant towards electronica and something danceable, and no lyrics. Right now Drum & Bass happens to strike my fancy in part cause it is so different than everything I've heard so far though I'd temper that by noting that this inimitable quality will probably keep it in my best regards for quite some time.

BTW, I made a thread asking this IIRC, but these threads are bound to repeat and for the most part, it's accepted so long as it's not within a few months and really, it's music!
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Heavy Metal and its many subgenres (black, speed, death, etc)
Progressive Rock
Classical - I know it's a generalization and I lump in here things like baroque, opera, and movie scores.
Classic Rock
New Age
A smidgen of rap and hip-hop
And no country absolutlely no matter what.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Second favourites include Indie/alternative rock, hard techno/industrial, and heavy gothrock.

But undoubtably my favourite is tribal/world music. Last summer I got to meet a band called Tartanic that combines bagpipes with djembes, tympanums (or however the hell you spell those) and African woodwinds. It's fucking orgasmic to listen to them.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Anything with a good bassy edge to it, I'll probably like. I really enjoy low notes, I don't know what it is, but they seem to really resonate well within me. I like dance music, industrial, blues, and all sorts of rock music so long as it's got a good bassy sound to it and a catchy riff. If it's not bassy, it had better have fucking awesome melodies and an epic feeling.

In the main, though, I am so fucking metal it hurts. If you want to hear a proper fucking good dirty death metal song that represents what I really enjoy listening to, listen to the song that autoplays on my myspack. That's how a guitar ought to be tuned! Watch the videos, too.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
JediMaster415
Padawan Learner

Post by JediMaster415 »

My favorite genre is at a three way tie, between Country, J-pop and J-rock, simply because the sound helps to calm me down.

I like some rock, like Queen or Aerosmith but I don't listen to them as often as I listen to the others.
NomAnor15
Padawan Learner

Post by NomAnor15 »

OK, one genre that has not shown up (Oni said world music, but I'm going to call this seperate): klezmer. Anybody?

This sentence is false.