NFL Football Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Yeah, but Most at least had his famous "Havlicek stole the ball" call to give him some other claim to fame.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Some homers are pretty cool because they play it tongue-in-cheek like Myron Cope in Pittsburgh.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

NINERS WIN! NINERS WIN! THEY SWEEP SEATTLE!

It's decidedly unlikely that we'll go to the playoffs, anyway, but Seattle has to play for another week, and we're actually playing for next year. I guess we'll also see if York is serious about fielding a competitive team. He's $40+ million under the cap, and so he's gotta be going after some free agents in the off-season if he wants to win. I think there's actually legitimate hope the Niners will go to the playoffs, next year.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

What is it with the fucking NFL this year and these potentially game-altering shit calls?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Didn't watch the game (because the dumbass fucking NFL Network hatfuckers didn't bother to play it), but do go on. I'm no fan of the new QB rules so I'm wondering what they called here.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I think the 49ers are where the Chargers were 3-4 years ago. They have some first-rate talent on offense that just needs a chance to play together. Mike Nolan knows defense, he's just undermanned on that side. Two good drafts (or one great one) and this should be a playoff team in the next two years.

Sorry to hear about Lamar Hunt. He wanted an NFL franchise in Dallas in the late 50s and the NFL owners told him to piss off. He was a zillionaire and the other owners were worried he would be overly generous and jack up salaries. So he started the AFL along with Barron Hilton, Bud Adams, Ralph Wilson and others with deep pockets. The NFL kept looking down its nose at the new league, even though it started getting comparable TV money (AFL football was wide open and the teams wore brighter colors. The games also had a carnival atmosphere).

The NFL's worst nightmare came true, only worse. They were not only competing with the son of an oil billionaire (someone asked Old Man Hunt if he was wooried that his son Lamar's new league had lost a million dollars in its first year, to which he responded that at the rate he was going, his son might run out of money -in 150 years), but Barron Hilton (as in Hilton hotels) and other AFL owners who were not only super rich (most of 'em), but shared TV money with the smaller market teams like Buffalo and Denver so there would be some level of competition. Then an NFL owner tried to sign a kicker from an AFL team. This started a bidding war which the older league was going to lose, which ended up forcing a merger since there was nothing to prevent a player from jumping to another league for more money.

Lamar Hunt moved his Dallas Texans to Kansas City, where they were renamed the Chiefs. When the leagues agreed to merge and hold a joint title game, which Hunt named the Super Bowl, his team took on the Green Bay Packers in the first one ever held. Though they played the Packers close, they were routed in the second half. Hunt got some satisfaction three years later when his team whipped the heavily favored Vikings in the last game played by an AFL team (the AFL became the American Football Conference) and the NFL the NFC with both being under the NFL umbrella.

Lamar Hunt didn't just change football. When the AFL decided to hold an all-star game in New Orleans and the black players were treated like shit by the locals the entire week before the game, a number of them threatened to walk. Hunt and the other AFL owners stood by their players and agreed to move the game.

Hunt also proved that not every Texan Oil billionaire is a greedy prick. Everyone who has worked for him thinks he was a kind and generous man. Too bad there aren't more like him since he's no longer going to be here.
Last edited by Elfdart on 2006-12-15 01:15am, edited 1 time in total.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Didn't watch the game (because the dumbass fucking NFL Network hatfuckers didn't bother to play it), but do go on. I'm no fan of the new QB rules so I'm wondering what they called here.
It was a case of probable pass interference where Seattle was intercepted by San Francisco. It was just shy of being pretty blatant, IMO. I doubt this would have changed the outcome of the game, but it sure as hell had the potential to.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Elfdart wrote:Gil Santos? The yo-yos from The Ticket bust his balls on a constant basis. He's as bad as that other Boston announcer Most (I think that's his name), who used to do the Celtics games. A shameless homer.
Well fuck him then, be he the guy.

As much as I hate David Carr (the Texans displayed precisely no class when they rallied past Buffalo, right up to the point where Peerless laid out through tripple coverage and sent the lot home crying), I'm pulling for him against New England. However, I would pull for Satan against New England, if he weren't their coach.

They couldn't ask for better chances, IF, Wilfork and Watson stay hurt.
Darth Garden Gnome

What can I say other than "more embarrassing Lions football."

To those jokers in the Fox studio who think we should draft Brady Quinn if we get first overall: fuck off. Quinn is a pretty boy who chokes when it counts the most. HOW many big games has that Adonis won? Here, let us count:

Lost to Michigan 3 of 4 times.
Lost to USC 4 of 4 times.
Lost to Ohio State 1 of 1 times.
Managed to lose to Michigan State, who's always sucked, 2 of 3 times.
Lost both bowl games he's QB'd. Will likely lose the third.

But he looks real good torching Navy for five TDs every year. :roll:

He's not a winner. So fuck 'im. Draft Troy Smith, or even better, TRADE DOWN AND GET YOURSELVES AN O-LINE. Christ. Nothing like Lions football to get the blood boiling.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

ha
Haha.
AAAHAHA.. BWAHAHAHAHAAA!

Chargers offense except for the 1st drive in the 1st half has been flat. THey punted from deep in their own half but it was blocked... touched beyond the original line-of-scrimmage by the recieving team but RECOVERED by a Charger resulting in, you guessed, it 1ST DOWN CHARGERS!

Very. Next. Play.
LT.
85 yards.
And just another record, this one most rushing touchdowns in a season; his previous scamper gave him most points scored in a season.

How many touchdown-related records HAS LT broke in this season? :shock: Jesus! Unbelievable, unfucking believable. [points and laughs at Falcon fans]
Darth Garden Gnome

No kidding, that was amazing; he's got 140 yards rushing on nine carries. And there's the million dollar question for would be usurpers to San Diego's supremacy: how do you stop LaDanian Tomlinson? *shakes head*
Kyle
Padawan Learner

Post by Kyle »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote: And there's the million dollar question for would be usurpers to San Diego's supremacy: how do you stop LaDanian Tomlinson? *shakes head*
Sniper? Only thing I can think of. You sure as hell can't tackle the guy.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

After watching the Philadelphia at New York game, I have a question.

Why is spiking the ball excessive celebration?
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Kyle wrote:
That's assuming he stops moving long enough for a clear shot. Although if you want to beat the Chargers, why not just re-examine how the Ravens did it earlier this season. Of course for some of these teams *coughCOLTScough* there's no way to simply add "PLAY REALLY REALLY GOOD" into your defensive schemes.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Garden Gnome

The way they've talked about it tonight, it sounds like that Baltimore loss was more because of Martyball than anything else.
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

That? Was awesome. Wildcard spot, here we come!

Now if we could just beat Dallas next week, we could win the division.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Kyle
Padawan Learner

Post by Kyle »

I'm just ready for Monday Night Football. I'm expecting about 150 yards for Rudi, and probably another shootout like last year, just with us coming out on top this time. As long as no one gets a DUI tonight of course.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Kyle wrote:
That's assuming he stops moving long enough for a clear shot. Although if you want to beat the Chargers, why not just re-examine how the Ravens did it earlier this season. Of course for some of these teams *coughCOLTScough* there's no way to simply add "PLAY REALLY REALLY GOOD" into your defensive schemes.
Put 8 in the box and hope to God Rivers has an off-night like tonight.

The AFC West is very brutal, anyone who faces a team from this division [except the Raiders] has to be able to stop the running game, cause you got LT, Larry Johnson, and not one, but 2 Bells and Mike Anderson to worry about. :shock:

The way the AFC playoff picture is playing up, if you can't stop the run, you're gonna have to pull 30 points from <25 minute time of possession out of your ass just to survive.

I daren't make any predictions though on post-season games; now's no time to jinx a great run. :P
Kyle
Padawan Learner

Post by Kyle »

SPC Brungardt wrote: The AFC West is very brutal, anyone who faces a team from this division [except the Raiders] has to be able to stop the running game, cause you got LT, Larry Johnson, and not one, but 2 Bells and Mike Anderson to worry about. :shock:
Mike Anderson signed with the Ravens in the offseason and is now backing up Jamal Lewis. The AFC West does have some good backs thoughs, I'm looking forward to the Bengals Broncos game next week. And an eventual rematch with the Chargers in the playoffs hopefully.
skotos
Padawan Learner

Post by skotos »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:And there's the million dollar question for would be usurpers to San Diego's supremacy: how do you stop LaDanian Tomlinson?
You somehow get the Vikings into the Super Bowl. Which, after their spanking today, is not going to happen.
Discombobulated wrote:That? Was awesome. Wildcard spot, here we come!

Now if we could just beat Dallas next week, we could win the division.
Or, you could drop both remaining games and miss the playoffs altogether. :P

I don't see that happening, but anything's possible in today's crazy, sucky, NFC.
Just as the map is not the territory, the headline is not the article
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Qwerty 42 wrote:After watching the Philadelphia at New York game, I have a question.

He threw it at one of the Giants defenders, which is taunting.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Well, the Titans are next for what is becomming Mr. Wilson's House of Pain.

Aaron Schobel is now leading the NFL in sacks with 13.5, and Lee Evans is set to break 1200 yards recieving on the year. However, knowing who your starting QB is week to week is something we Bills fans are trying to get used to.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Qwerty 42 wrote:After watching the Philadelphia at New York game, I have a question.

He threw it at one of the Giants defenders, which is taunting.
After a late hit, which went mysteriously unnoticed by the zebras.

Oh well, though. After last night, East Rutherford will be watching the playoffs on TV this year and we have a shot at winning the division. Any day when you get to send Shockey, She-Li (thanks Elfdart!), and the rest of those fuckheads home to cry for the winter is a good one.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

RedImperator wrote:
Oh well, though. After last night, East Rutherford will be watching the playoffs on TV this year and we have a shot at winning the division. Any day when you get to send Shockey, She-Li (thanks Elfdart!), and the rest of those fuckheads home to cry for the winter is a good one.
I saw Plaxico Burress vs Pacman Jones. Talk about the Giant's season in microcosm.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Did anyone else notice the big "Eli Sucks" banner held up during the Chargers/Chiefs game Sunday night? Whoever was holding it up was at one of the ends of the field, though I can't remember which.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.