Rome Season II

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Big Orange wrote:
Raesene wrote: You misunderstood me, I think his age is perfect for the role, accodring to wiki (the only reference I have access to right now) Octavius was born in 63 BC, so Pirkis' age is perfect.
And Pirkis is a great late teen actor as well (when he was a little younger he had a minor role on Master and Commander).
I know - it's one of my favorite movies ;-) [as a sidenote, for a few seconds I was wondering why Billy Boyd is as tall as the other actors when I saw it at the cinema - that's the hobbits' curse]
the movie got me to buy all 21 of Patrick OBrians books and enjoying them.
There is no information about a movie sequel ?

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

Holy fuck, Rome at 9 and BSG at 10. Sundays just became pure nirvana.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Yay.. I shall root for the death of Caesar's killers.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Raesene wrote:
Big Orange wrote: I saw most of Rome and I was mostly impressed with it, however despite the epic events, everything felt a bit too claustrophobic and relatively small scale (but it was on a TV budget).
That was the reason I liked this series, it shows us the city without all the marble palaces and temples added by the emperors.

And Max Pirkis, who plays Octavius, was born in 1989 according to imdb.
(although he looked older in season one)
Jeez, he's my little brother's age.
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Too much sex, not enough battles.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

hongi wrote:Too much sex, not enough battles.
the former is cheaper to film than the latter ;-)

but the battle scene in the first episode and pullo's fight in the arena were in my opinion well done - a pity we didn't see a battle against pompey/cato or the fighting in alexandria.

Hopefully, they had a bigger battle budget this time

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Setzer wrote:
Raesene wrote:
Big Orange wrote: I saw most of Rome and I was mostly impressed with it, however despite the epic events, everything felt a bit too claustrophobic and relatively small scale (but it was on a TV budget).
That was the reason I liked this series, it shows us the city without all the marble palaces and temples added by the emperors.

And Max Pirkis, who plays Octavius, was born in 1989 according to imdb.
(although he looked older in season one)
Jeez, he's my little brother's age.
Well, Octavian was a brilliant political manipulator at the age of 18... so... Octavianus was a pretty brilliant guy at his age.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

They had a series about Roman battles on Discovery a month ago and the way it was shot looked very similar to Rome, though it covered other eras as well. It even had some of the same actors.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

One of the trailers showed the Rome crew working on doing their largest battle scene so far, with several hundred extras.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.