Super Sculpey Curing Questions

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Super Sculpey Curing Questions

Post by Tasoth »

Since I am a newb to modelling with polymer clays, or clays in general, I had a question for those with more experience. On the box, it says to not exceed the recommended time for a thickness of clay, but the Wiki article says you can. Before I start playing around with putting sculpey on my armature, can I cure thinner pieces of sculpey longer? Say I used a quarter inch layer all round and the head of the little project is thicker, would the time it takes to cure the thicker mass of sculpey ruin the thinner pieces?
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Strictly speaking, you shouldn't have any parts significantly thicker than any other. You want to bulk up whatever us under the potentially thicker parts with aluminium foil (or similar) to avoid this problem. Significantly cvercooking Super Sculpey will give you big, black, HARD boils.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I once played with Sculpty, and made a little puppydog. I modeled him on the 'play with me' stance: front paws outstretched, head and rump high, ears and tail erect. It was a lovely little statuette.

When baked, the paws, ears, tail, and tip of the nose all turned a light brown. My puppydog was suddenly marked like a siamese cat!

I wonder whatever happened to him................
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

LadyTevar, that just means that he was slightly burnt. It does that before it begins to warp, so it sounds like you nabbed him just in time!
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia