Art - Supervillains Convention

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Publius
Jedi Council Member

Art - Supervillains Convention

Post by Publius »

Unfortunately, there is no witty name for this particular convention, but the concept is nevertheless amusing.

All the line work was done in pencil, and then inked over with a Pentel extra fine superball pen. Coloring was done with Crayola color pencils.

A much larger version of the picture is available here.
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

The Red X Convention? Yes, Imageshack is ghetto.
Image Image
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Very well; an alternative from Photobucket:

Here is the link (although it actually links to the same size picture rather than the full-sized picture from Imageshack).
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

This image wins an honourable mention for the Internet.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Where is Grand Admiral Thrawn?
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

There's something surreal about Destro and the Green Goblin sharing a yuk with Lex Luthor. Kudos.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

In about five seconds, Cobra Commander is going to go "You son of a bitch!" and deck the fuck out of M. Bison with Destro having to pry himself from Talking Shop with Luthor (I imagine he and Lex Luthor would be good friends) to drag the drunk ass COBRA leader out of there.

That's fantastic. I wish I could see it in a larger format. :)
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Jack Bauer
Jedi Knight

Post by Jack Bauer »

Publius, the Internet gods demand that you provide a written fanfic to go along with that picture.
Sig by JME2
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Gil Hamilton wrote:In about five seconds, Cobra Commander is going to go "You son of a bitch!" and deck the fuck out of M. Bison with Destro having to pry himself from Talking Shop with Luthor (I imagine he and Lex Luthor would be good friends) to drag the drunk ass COBRA leader out of there.
Yeah, I too was wondering just how long it would take for the whole scene to devolve into one horrible, bloody melee. Still, I'm ashamed that I didn't recognize more of those characters. FAILURE T.T
That's fantastic. I wish I could see it in a larger format.
I'm pretty sure the link in the OP still works, at least it does for me. *shrug*
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

BAH, I'M NOT EVIL, JUST A FORCE OF REALITY. (Now if you'd Drawn New Death with a crown on his head then you might have a line to argue, but Death is not a villian despite part of humanity imagining him as one).

Also who's the girl to the left of Lex Luthor and Mellisant?

Criticism aside, Awesome pic, and I second the demand for a fan.fic to go along with this :D (If you don't do it, "The Game" could always use a sequel :P )
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Darth Raptor wrote:Still, I'm ashamed that I didn't recognize more of those characters. FAILURE T.T
The convention attendees include Dr. Wily, Dr. Robotnik, Jafar, Ming the Merciless, Emperor Palpatine, Darth Vader, Dr. Doom, Apocalypse, Magneto, Kang the Conqueror, the Red Skull, the Green Goblin, Destro, the Baroness, Lex Luthor, Shang Tsung, Count Dracula, Captain Hook, Dr. Claw, Baron Zemo, Evil-Lyn, Skeletor, Rā's al-Ghūl, Maleficent, Mr. Freeze, Dr. Octopus, Naraku, the Cyber Controller, the Wicked Witch of the West, the Master, Megatron, Mojo Jojo, Mumm-Ra the Ever-Living, the Riddler, the Evil Queen, the Shredder, Gargamel, the Dalek Supreme, Cardinal de Richelieu, Darkseid, the White Witch, Two-Face, M. Bison, Ernst Stavro Blofeld, Baron von Strucker, the Cobra Commander, Ganondorf Dragmire, General Zod, Harley Quinn, the Joker, and the Penguin.

Unfortunately, both Bowser and Ridley, having imbibed prodigious quantities of spirits, were tending to the call of nature at the time this picture was taken.

As luck would have it, M. Bison is actually one of the only rivals to the Cobra Commander as an international terrorist leader in the world of G. I. Joe: A Real American Hero. Two variants of Bison were released in 1993 under the Street Fighter subset of the ARAH line, making the Commander's ire contextually accurate: Of the four terrorist organizations represented in the lower right corner, only Bison's Shadowloo directly competes with the Commander's COBRA.

DEATH -- "The Game"?
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Publius wrote:
Darth Raptor wrote:Still, I'm ashamed that I didn't recognize more of those characters. FAILURE T.T
The convention attendees include Dr. Wily, Dr. Robotnik, Jafar, Ming the Merciless, Emperor Palpatine, Darth Vader, Dr. Doom, Apocalypse, Magneto, Kang the Conqueror, the Red Skull, the Green Goblin, Destro, the Baroness, Lex Luthor, Shang Tsung, Count Dracula, Captain Hook, Dr. Claw, Baron Zemo, Evil-Lyn, Skeletor, Rā's al-Ghūl, Maleficent, Mr. Freeze, Dr. Octopus, Naraku, the Cyber Controller, the Wicked Witch of the West, the Master, Megatron, Mojo Jojo, Mumm-Ra the Ever-Living, the Riddler, the Evil Queen, the Shredder, Gargamel, the Dalek Supreme, Cardinal de Richelieu, Darkseid, the White Witch, Two-Face, M. Bison, Ernst Stavro Blofeld, Baron von Strucker, the Cobra Commander, Ganondorf Dragmire, General Zod, Harley Quinn, the Joker, and the Penguin.
Sigh, I suppose that it's sad that apart from some of the G.I joe characters I "know"/recognize Everyone.
Oh, and my respect for your knowledge in all things Geeky has increased (Despite my being sure that it could not due to your encyclopedic knowledge of Star wars).
Bravo sir, Bravo :),
Publius wrote:Unfortunately, both Bowser and Ridley, having imbibed prodigious quantities of spirits, were tending to the call of nature at the time this picture was taken.
To the point of Ridley eating the Mother brain by accident? ;).
DEATH -- "The Game"?
Third fan fic I ever wrote involving dozens of characters from various realities meeting up for a reality spanning "game" (To be used as the background for any cross-over fiction of your choice).

The reader also had to guess the identity of all the characters (No-one got all of them, in fact I promised to give a detailed list of the characters, I should do that sometime).
The link is This: "The Game"
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I'm sort of depressed that the first person I recognised there was Cardinal de Richelieu.

The presence of Ganondorf, Shredder, Doom and a Dalek makes this picture great.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Awesomeness, man.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

So here is a beautifully drawn picture of the greatest villains in fiction (...and Gargamel) and all I can think of is 'how the hell does Freeze plan to drink from that glass he's holding?'
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Excellent menagerie of ne'er wellers.

I particularlly like the whole range of universes that are represented rather then a single heavily chosen one.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Took me forever to find Megatron, I wasn't expecting him to be so small. Who's holding him, the Riddler? Also, drunken Bowser and Ridley... that's one hell of a fire hazard. The Baroness seems to have tried curling her hair for the even, I don't think it came out very well.

I'm trying to figure out how the Dalek Supreme isn't just shooting everything in the room. I suppose we could assume all weapons (discounting Megatron) have been removed, but still, you'd have to nail it to the floor.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Now that the Large Format image works for me, I appreciate it even more. The excellence of this image falls in all the threads and stories that are playing out.

Like Magneto bumping into Apocalypse and going "Oh, shit, I hate running into people I know from work at parties..." because he knows that Apocalypse is going to get hammered and bitch about how the Age of Apocalypse miniseries ended between them.

Or Destro, Norman Osborn, and Lex Luthor all swapping war stories about the Arms Dealing Industrialist game. Or the annual Dr. Wily/Eggman Evil Roboticist get together.

Then there is Evil-lyn, in a foul mood and pissed off at Skeletor for dragging her to an office party. Not to mention the Cyber Controller and the Wicked Witch hooking up on an online dating service. Looking very similar to Maleficent and Mr. Freeze there.

And I still hold that this picture is the moment before Cobra Commander completely unhinges over some past incident between COBRA and Shadowloo, possibly because COBRA did them a favor and received payment in Bisonland Fun Bucks, and starts throwing punches.

Great, great stuff.

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Bounty wrote:So here is a beautifully drawn picture of the greatest villains in fiction (...and Gargamel) and all I can think of is 'how the hell does Freeze plan to drink from that glass he's holding?'
If you look carefully, you can see that the Dalek Supreme's manipulator arm is also holding a glass. They're only holding them to look cool.

For some reason, Skeletor feels the need to add ice to his drink. Given the presence of Mr. Freeze and the White Witch, ice is probably cheap. Also note that Dr. Octopus, in classically lazy fashion, is using his tentacle to drink instead of his arm.
Alan Bolte wrote:Took me forever to find Megatron, I wasn't expecting him to be so small. Who's holding him, the Riddler? Also, drunken Bowser and Ridley... that's one hell of a fire hazard. The Baroness seems to have tried curling her hair for the even, I don't think it came out very well.
The Riddler is gesturing with his right hand (the purple glove directly in front of Mojo Jojo's dome). If you look very carefully, you can see that Megatron is actually being held by the Master (the original Roger Delgado incarnation).

Fortunately, fires actually don't pose much of a risk to this crowd, given the weather-manipulating skills of Count Dracula, Maleficent, and the White Witch, or the ready availability of coolant courtesy of Mr. Freeze.

The Baroness's hair is a bit disheveled because she is obviously drunk. Her glasses are crooked and she's leaning heavily against Destro's shoulder.
Alan Bolte wrote:I'm trying to figure out how the Dalek Supreme isn't just shooting everything in the room. I suppose we could assume all weapons (discounting Megatron) have been removed, but still, you'd have to nail it to the floor.
Daleks are actually quite canny for a race of genocidal zealots. They're perfectly happy to cooperate with other species when they deem it be to their advantage -- most prominently in The Dalek Invasion of Earth, Resurrection of the Daleks, and Remembrance of the Daleks -- and the Dalek Supreme is clearly smart enough to realize that it is actually heavily outgunned by at least some of the convention-goers. Kang the Conqueror, Dr. Doom, and Darkseid are certainly out of its league; Magneto, Megatron, and the Sith Lords very likely are as well, and depending on how well magic fairs against them it's possible that even Maleficent, Skeletor, or Evil-Lyn could overpower it (or even Ganondorf, Mumm-Ra, Jafar, and the two Witches).

There is indeed some story built into the way the characters interact. Notice for example that the three Nazis -- the Red Skull, Baron Zemo, and Baron von Strucker -- have kept a healthy distance between themselves and Magneto, while the heads of Shadowloo, SPECTRE, HYDRA, and COBRA have congregated in the corner (where Cobra Commander is indeed notably the only person to be displaying hostile body language)
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Gil: You missed Gargamel and the Evil Queen.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Where the hell is Count Chocula?!

And hopefully, Dr. Robotnik is teaching Wily a thing or two about intestinal fortitude. Willy may have made better robots than Robotnik, but Robotnik had the guts to fight his nemesis every step of the way, while Wily hid like a crybaby in his Skullhouse.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

NeoGoomba wrote:Where the hell is Count Chocula?!

And hopefully, Dr. Robotnik is teaching Wily a thing or two about intestinal fortitude. Willy may have made better robots than Robotnik, but Robotnik had the guts to fight his nemesis every step of the way, while Wily hid like a crybaby in his Skullhouse.
A good villain has people for that sort of thing. Even if those people are Robot Masters. He doesn't go out there and risk his own ass. :)

Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

NeoGoomba wrote:Where the hell is Count Chocula?!
Very likely with Lo Pan and Im-ho-tep.
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

<geek>Given the style of the Cybercontroller, is that Dalek possibly Sek of the Cult of Skaro, rather than the Dalek Supreme?</geek>

Oh, and Publious, you missed Palpatine :) to the right of Doctor Doom, in front of Darth Vader and Jaffar.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"