Songs that you absotively can not stand

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

General Zod wrote:I must concur with My Humps. The first time I heard that song it made me want to fly into a murderous rage.
The first time I heard it, I realised I'd been fucking to it all afternoon. I felt DIRTY.

Lesson - never let teenagers control the stereo.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

JLTucker wrote:Anything by Green Day, Good Charlotte, Linkin Park (actually, any punk rock bands), fucking death metal bands (the screaming and growling is retarded), and all rap except 2PAC.
This implies that MC Frontalot and other Nerdcore rappers such as MC Hawking are not in fact the shit in terms of hillariousness. I challenge thy statement. But they're more using Rap as a device with which to provoke irony because of their nerd-savvy lyrics than actually extolling the virtues of speaking rythmically to a tiny musical beat in the background (Rap needs to learn the lessons of instrumentation, incidentally).

I'd like to agree with what everyone said (or at least not violently object) since I can't think of anything else more. The Black Eyed Peas, Ashlee Simpson, Gwen Stefani, and so forth are all deserving of some musical hell made of spiny, sharpened broken CD fragments and salt mountains.

Well, although strike off Pop music. Some varieties of it (tATu*-esque rock pop and some J-Pop styles that aren't too methamphetamined up in speed and squeekyness) aren't that bad.

Throw in most techno songs. Fine to rave to, but terrible listening and musically inert. Some break the mold but they're rare. Otherwise it wouldn't be a mold.

Add in all Christian music. Christian gospel, screechy preaching to music. Christian rock, mellowed down rock with "Dare to be the same as everyone else! Christ fucking rules yeah" lyrics and faux hipness, Christian Rap for actually existing. What is it with Jesus? The man can raise the dead but he can't produce a single group in his recording studio that kicks ass?

A lot of 'Indie' music that's really just what you call a garage band that found it's way to national stage somehow. I can't call names off the top of my head but if you've heard bands like this you'd know it.

*Maybe I fell into the gimmick and drank the kool-aid but I liked tATu. Screw all you guys. :P
Maraxus
Padawan Learner

Post by Maraxus »

I'm going to extend the unanimous hatred of "My Humps" to all of Fergie's songs. Ever. Forever.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Oh god that just reminded me:

The Black Eyed Peas specifically ruined the lyricless instrumental song that I don't know the name from the beginning of Pulp Fiction: the iconoclastic "Surf Song". You know what one I'm talking about.

They did a cover of it called "Turn up the Stereo Loud" or something (at least that was a signficiant refrain in the lyrics which is how most songs get titles).
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

MRDOD wrote:Oh god that just reminded me:

The Black Eyed Peas specifically ruined the lyricless instrumental song that I don't know the name from the beginning of Pulp Fiction: the iconoclastic "Surf Song". You know what one I'm talking about.

They did a cover of it called "Turn up the Stereo Loud" or something (at least that was a signficiant refrain in the lyrics which is how most songs get titles).
The Black Eyed Peas's crimes against music continues...
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

MRDOD wrote:Oh god that just reminded me:

The song is called "Miserlou".
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

-"Lips of an Angel" by Hinder. They say that grunge has become every bit as commercial and insipid as the hair metal Kurt Cobain was rebelling against, it was only time before someone made an ungodly hybrid of the two.

I'd put stuff like Gwen Stefani and Fergie (And that new Killers song where they think they're Bruce Springsteen. Doesn't fit them like their old stuff. Brandon Flowers just sounds mildly retarded in it) in the so-bad-it's good department. I hate the songs, but it's fun to make fun of them in your mind when they come on.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Hip Hop in general, but theres a certain place in Hell set aside for the guy who wrote the "Driv'n Dirdy" song
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
defanatic
Jedi Knight

Post by defanatic »

MRDOD wrote: Add in all Christian music. Christian gospel, screechy preaching to music. Christian rock, mellowed down rock with "Dare to be the same as everyone else! Christ fucking rules yeah" lyrics and faux hipness, Christian Rap for actually existing. What is it with Jesus? The man can raise the dead but he can't produce a single group in his recording studio that kicks ass?

A lot of 'Indie' music that's really just what you call a garage band that found it's way to national stage somehow. I can't call names off the top of my head but if you've heard bands like this you'd know it.
I can't believe you're the first person to mention this. I also agree.
>>Your head hurts.

>>Quaff painkillers

>>Your head no longer hurts.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Black-Eyed Peas (and all of Fergie's work.)

P.O.D (and its ilk.)

Explanations are redundant here.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Rawtooth
Padawan Learner

Post by Rawtooth »

Panic! At the fucking Disco :x
darthbob88
Jedi Knight

Post by darthbob88 »

MRDOD wrote: Add in all Christian music. Christian gospel, screechy preaching to music. Christian rock, mellowed down rock with "Dare to be the same as everyone else! Christ fucking rules yeah" lyrics and faux hipness, Christian Rap for actually existing. What is it with Jesus? The man can raise the dead but he can't produce a single group in his recording studio that kicks ass?
The only point I disagree with is the "all"; some of our hymns out here are either neat and nifty, or old enough that they're harmless.

Explanation: Most of the hymns I grew up with say "Our God is great, he'll protect us and smite the wicked". In contrast, Christian rock says "My God is great, I shall serve him and I shall have no problems for it". Hymns place the emphasis on God as the actor, while we are acted upon, and rock places the emphasis on me as the actor, while God is the one I serve. Praises versus brainwashing.
This message approved by the sages Anon and Ibid.
Any views expressed herein are my own unless otherwise noted, and very likely wrong.
I shave with Occam's Razor.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

For some reason, Gwen Stefani's songs all sound the same to me. It's like they're the same music with different lyrics.

Hip-hop in general just pisses me off. It wouldn't be so bad, if everybody in the military didn't blare it out all the time. In particular, I hate that damn Promiscuous Girl (I think that's what it's called) song. I find that one song offensive to me as a human being.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:The song is called "Miserlou".
I recently had someone describe Misirlou as 'that Black Eyed Peas' song. It made me sad.

And... that other song, that they totally just covered without even changing the words? Shit, Flash knows what it's called. I heard the original on Miami fucking Vice, and it's way better with less Fergie pissing herself onstage.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Achy Breaky Heart
Hollerback Girl
Get Retarded

oh and BTW, it was Kareoke night on the new years party, one arrest for somebody trying to smuggle in contraband. I have found te one thing WORSE the Garth Brooks, Gwen Stefani, christian rock/country, and the black eyed peas.

DRUNKS SINGING THEIR COVERS

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Garth Brooks
Darth Brooks: I find your lack of booze disturbing.
NomAnor15
Padawan Learner

Post by NomAnor15 »

OK, I see that the general view is that rap/hip-hop sucks. For 99.9% of it, I agree. However, I will defend exactly two groups: Run DMC, and Subliminal. I almost feel dirty for it, but these two are actually half-decent.
"I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish." - Homer Simpson
Huh. That's less than 10 condoms per person. Though, assuming an even split between gender, that's almost 20 condoms per penis, so I certainly hope that would suffice for the three weeks they're there. -Alferd Packer

This sentence is false.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I'm quite accommodating when it comes to music, now that I can distinguish it from scallies, I don't mind some happy hardcore that much, whereas a few years ago, I would've hated the tits off it.

Now I just really fucking despise RnB and "Garage" (a UK hip hop thing that's just fucking awful, totally shite) and Melodic Rock. Fuck that tame bullshit, you're not rocking anything, you're smearing your fetid attempt at muzak all over the popular radio, because most people will listen to anything so long as it's mild. Then there's the bands that play harder modern rock that I just hate, (though less so than the melo-rock) like the aforementioned hoobashit.

I hate anything by the bands Trivium and Bullet For My Valentine, they are clearly playing metalcore by numbers, nothing innovative at all, just the sucking of metallica's cocks and making middle of the road accessible metal. "Oh, I'll shout, then I'll do proper singing so the girls will like me!" FUCK OFF YOU UNINTERESTING SHITS! They think they can copy a style founded by Fear Factory and then over romanticise everything, turn it all to teenage angst and play all the songs in the same mid-high melodic tone with low notes only coming in to sound like a dweeb trying to play metal? ARGH!!! It's metal for weenies, only marginally better than stryper.

Wheatus, I can't put into words how much I hate that band. Creed too.

I dislike metalcore for a large part because there's a million bands that sound just like atreyu and avenged sevenfold, they all use the same goddamn hatebreed riff for breakdowns, half of them seem to be christian, plus they all sound the same, vocal-wise. There are some awesome metalcore bands, but I'm distinguishing them from the popular subgenre of metal at the moment. Every Time I Die and soforth can crank out some decent tunes, it's just unfortunate that the shadows fall/kse types have such a huge following everyone and his brother wants to be in a samey metalcore band.

I dislike the rap where it doesn't use interesting samples and beats, and the rhythm is so monotonous it's a waste of time to listen to. I hate most pop, there was a band called STEPS big in europe a few years ago, they represented my most hated form of music. Vapid, awful shit.

There is decent christian music out there, but it's rare.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Thag
Jedi Knight

Post by Thag »

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers need to go away. Every recent song of theirs sounds the same, and I'd swear they played on the radio twice an hour, if not more.
"And the sign said, 'Anybody caught tresspassing, will be shot on sight.' So I jumped over the fence and yelled at the house, 'Hey! What -'" BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Tsyroc wrote:Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You

"I will always <deep breath> love yoOoOOOOOoooOOoOooOoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooOoOoOoOoUuUuUuUuUuUU!!!! :evil:

Fucking dog howl inducng sappy assed crap from a completely retarded movie. I mean, what kind of fucking bodyguard doesn't wear a bullet proof vest?
Dolly Parton did it much better.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Slipknot, with it's absurd "MOAR INSTRUMENTS" bullshit. Heck, most modern metal bands make me sad to be a metal fan. That stupid, raspy, screaming singing which sounds less like actually lyrics and more like the lead vocallist hacking at his own knees with a chainsaw. That crap really pisses me off.

Alright, ilast year I heard a cover of Iron Maiden's Fear of the Dark by ... it may have been Cradle of Filth. I like this song - I like most of Maiden, generally - so, I was a bit apprehensive. It starts up, and I practically shed manly tears. It was brilliant. It was the greatest cover I had ever heard. Then the singing started, and I nearly flipped out and killed somebody.

To this day I don't understand how someone could possibly combine some frankly beautiful instrumentation with 'singing' like that. If I had to describe what it was like, I'd be using the words 'diseased' and 'half-dead' and 'stabbed in the throat with a barbed, rusty knife'.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

How is harsh singing "stupid" exactly? I really dislike Dani Filth's vocals, but I wouldn't call them stupid. Cradle covered Hallowed Be Thy Name, not Fear of the Dark, btw. :P

I don't dislike Dani's vocals because they're too harsh, I hate them because they don't convey the sheer fucking pissed-offness that harsh vocals should. It's not just because he's screechy and is fixated on the high notes either, or the intentional obfuscation of lyrics, there are ways of doing that so when you hear it, you fucking know someone is pissed off. Rhythmically and lyrically, Dani is very good, but the sounds he makes are fucking annoying. Shagrath from Dimmu does a similar but lower rasp, and vitriol from the nathrakh is the best in the business for angry high notes, in my opinion.

I hate the hardcore-derived shouty vocal style that all the Atreyu-style bands have. It's just unimpressive and monotone. Seriously, if you watch any Trivium video, every syllable is the same, there's no heart in it. It's poseur angst.
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Hey, I can't help it if metal is just that awesome. ;) Edit: In fact, I will add a sig image just to remind you what metal to listen to.
Last edited by Rye on 2007-01-01 07:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
NomAnor15
Padawan Learner

Post by NomAnor15 »

Actually, I'm going to have to go with Rye on this one. There are definitely good vocals and bad vocals in metal, but I like Filth.
"I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish." - Homer Simpson
Huh. That's less than 10 condoms per person. Though, assuming an even split between gender, that's almost 20 condoms per penis, so I certainly hope that would suffice for the three weeks they're there. -Alferd Packer

This sentence is false.