Songs that you absotively can not stand

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Rye wrote:Hey, I can't help it if metal is just that awesome. ;) Edit: In fact, I will add a sig image just to remind you what metal to listen to.
All I can say is Keep Supporting Fuckin Metal.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Rye wrote:How is harsh singing "stupid" exactly?
I find that when the vocallist sounds like they're rasping up a largish kitten, they've over stepped the line.

Frankly, the screaming business that seems to be popular ticks me off because it doesn't sound good at all. Fuck knows how they manage to actually keep it up.
Cradle covered Hallowed Be Thy Name, not Fear of the Dark, btw. :P
Then I have no idea who did the cover I heard; I know it was Fear of the Dark because even amidst the hacking I was able to discern the chorus. Or some of it.
I don't dislike Dani's vocals because they're too harsh, I hate them because they don't convey the sheer fucking pissed-offness that harsh vocals should.
I don't like it because it sounds shit. As you mention, you don't have to sound like a goddamn buzzsaw to convey anger or anything like that; much as you don't have to pull a speedmetal to prove your skill on guitar.

Lindsay Buckingham showed more anger and frustration, and more skill on guitar, with Big Love than any metal band ever has.
I hate the hardcore-derived shouty vocal style that all the Atreyu-style bands have. It's just unimpressive and monotone. Seriously, if you watch any Trivium video, every syllable is the same, there's no heart in it. It's poseur angst.
Fucking A.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Stark wrote:
Rye wrote:Hey, I can't help it if metal is just that awesome. ;) Edit: In fact, I will add a sig image just to remind you what metal to listen to.
All I can say is Keep Supporting Fuckin Metal.
I came <-> this close to adding "Keep Supporting Fuckin' Stark" to my sig, then I removed it since I didn't want it to be seen as a vendetta or attack or an implication that I was offended by your sig.

Oh, and we "keep it up" with practise and experience. Same as anything. ;)
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Rye wrote:I came <-> this close to adding "Keep Supporting Fuckin' Stark" to my sig, then I removed it since I didn't want it to be seen as a vendetta or attack or an implication that I was offended by your sig.

Oh, and we "keep it up" with practise and experience. Same as anything. ;)
I had a similar thought after being wtfpwnzored by Ford in a testing thread: I was going to have Clay saying 'owned by Ford', but I didn't want people to think it was a BAD thing. Clay's so frowny, you see. :)
Last edited by Stark on 2007-01-01 07:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Rye wrote:Oh, and we "keep it up" with practise and experience. Same as anything. ;)
Do you spend hundreds of dollars on soothing throat lozenges as well? I remember getting loud in a similiar fashion during sports events at school, and that stuff hurt. Oh, and shucks Stark.
What is Project Zohar?

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Thag wrote:The Red Hot Chilli Peppers need to go away. Every recent song of theirs sounds the same, and I'd swear they played on the radio twice an hour, if not more.
I am mystified how the RHCP somehow remained relevant beyond 1994.

Or maybe they didn't, and that's part of the problem...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

The first time I heard "My Humps" I was just stunned. I just could not believe what I was hearing. "Fergielicious", the first single off Fergie's solo album, is absolutely terrible, but it sounds like Bohemian Goddamn Rhapsody compared to My Humps. "My Humps" is so bad it transcends genre. I was going to add something about how I really hate "harsh" singing so popular in metal, or that I think most commercial rap is garbage (Jurassic 5 and The Roots are another story), or I liked No Doubt but Gwen Stefani is not only the mother of all sellouts, but her solo songs are terrible, but "My Humps" is so horrible everything this side of a cat with its tail caught in a blender sounds better compared to it.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
RazorOutlaw
Padawan Learner

Post by RazorOutlaw »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Rye wrote:Cradle covered Hallowed Be Thy Name, not Fear of the Dark, btw. :P
Then I have no idea who did the cover I heard; I know it was Fear of the Dark because even amidst the hacking I was able to discern the chorus. Or some of it.
Cradle covered both songs, although I have this feeling "Fear of the Dark" was not released on any of their CDs (I checked darklyrics.com for the song, but didn't se it). This might be an indication that they didn't cover the song, but I guess the best thing I can do is ask my brother where he got this "Fear of the Dark" cover from. And, I dunno, I like Cradle. The growling grates on my nerves though.

On topic though, I really hate the kind of music they play in stores. Granted, mall clothing stores having crummy music but places like Dollar Tree, Denny's, Staples, etc. all play the same music! A lot (and I mean A LOT) of songs from the 80's are played, as are a lot of 90's songs . And because we're starting to close in on the end of a decade (I might be invoking a fallacy here) I'm hearing Nickleback, Lifehouse, Linkin Park, White Stripes, and Dashboard Confessional being played too.

Granted, I can tolerate the last 4 bands being played over and over I just find it a little disheartening that they will someday be so overplayed that another angsty young man just like me will go into work and grate his teeth when he hears "Hanging By A Moment."
Sig.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Rye wrote:Oh, and we "keep it up" with practise and experience. Same as anything. ;)
Do you spend hundreds of dollars on soothing throat lozenges as well? I remember getting loud in a similiar fashion during sports events at school, and that stuff hurt. Oh, and shucks Stark.
Nah, it's mostly down to pronunciation, you don't say it like you would in normal life, you envisage how you're going to pronounce it and essentially change all the vowels to a gutteral "u" sound. Then extend/shorten it as and where the rhythm demands it.

For instance this dimmu lyric: "I am war I am pain" will be changed to "uyum wur uyum puyn" and you put your character into it and it sounds cool. Well, cool to weirdoes such as myself. :P

Then you just experiment with it to find your sound, I find it takes a minute or two of warm up before the vocal chords change shape so they don't get hurt with the tones you're going to use. It's the same thing for proper singing, too, if you hold any notes your chords get irritated without some sort of gradual warm up. Otherwise you end up with polyps and shit.

Oh, speaking of polyps, Disturbed, now there is a band I hate, from their poppy and insipid 15 year old goth party classic "Down with the sickness" to their modern offerings, they all sound like some guy that is desperate to be adored, but it's like he doesn't actually get what it's about. That's a big problem with a lot of nu metal to be fair, though, and I'm sure that's why nu metal is inherently included with phrases like "sell out".

Oh and FUCK! St. Anger! Now THAT was an awful album. Aside from a few riffs, it was a bunch of old guys desperate to retain their youth and fanbase. What a fucking awful drum sound, though, it was like a toy set from Toys R Us.

That My Humps song has a special core of hate in my black heart, though, I had to listen to that song 4 times a shift at Game, along with some song that had some woman singing "round and round and around and round, what goes up must come down." The humps song made me think "so...you're a fucking slag? Why is this a song at all? Why the hell is it popular? You can lap my lovely manly taint you self-confessed whore." the second made me think "What if I threw something really hard, so hard it escaped the gravitational pull of the Earth? What then? Do not presume to teach me newtonian motion, you "urban" bitch!!" Terrible, just terrible.
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
NomAnor15
Padawan Learner

Post by NomAnor15 »

Ah, unfortunately there I will have to disagree. I love Disturbed. Not so much the lyrics, but the guy's voice/the guitar playing. Second only to Black Sabbath on my list of "greatest bands ever". May as well say this, even though I know I'll get a lot of crap for it: number three on the aforementioned list is System Of A Down. Bring on the flamage :P.
"I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish." - Homer Simpson
Huh. That's less than 10 condoms per person. Though, assuming an even split between gender, that's almost 20 condoms per penis, so I certainly hope that would suffice for the three weeks they're there. -Alferd Packer

This sentence is false.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Rye wrote:For instance this dimmu lyric: "I am war I am pain" will be changed to "uyum wur uyum puyn" and you put your character into it and it sounds cool. Well, cool to weirdoes such as myself. :P
I dunno man, it sounds pretty Welsh to me. And I should know. :wink:
Oh, speaking of polyps, Disturbed, now there is a band I hate, from their poppy and insipid 15 year old goth party classic "Down with the sickness" to their modern offerings, they all sound like some guy that is desperate to be adored, but it's like he doesn't actually get what it's about.
I'd agree - I found 'Down with the Sickness' to just be grating. Especially seeing it used to be quite popular to play at LAN parties for my friends. Granted, I don't mind '10000 Fists', but not very much. It's the really silly noises he makes - similiar to why I don't like 'Twist'.

Speaking of music played at LANs, I hate that 'Gold Digger' song. When I very first heard it, it actually sounded initially promising, then it devolved into shit pretty damn quickly.
That's a big problem with a lot of nu metal to be fair, though, and I'm sure that's why nu metal is inherently included with phrases like "sell out".
I really can't think of much in the way of modern metal bands that I can listen too. I mean 'modern' is a pretty variable term, but what the hell.

EDIT:
System Of A Down
Hey, I like them too. Or rather, I liked Toxicity.
What is Project Zohar?

Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Ford Prefect wrote: I'd agree - I found 'Down with the Sickness' to just be grating. Especially seeing it used to be quite popular to play at LAN parties for my friends. Granted, I don't mind '10000 Fists', but not very much. It's the really silly noises he makes - similiar to why I don't like 'Twist'.
He's a scat-man! Beeebaddabaddabop!
I really can't think of much in the way of modern metal bands that I can listen too. I mean 'modern' is a pretty variable term, but what the hell.
You might want to try out some Corrosion of Conformity and similar stoner bands, they're rocky and metallic. Chilled, cheerful but have that extra edge to them that makes them better than the normal crap. The Devin Townsend band is worth checking out, too, Strapping Young Lad and Zimmer's hole being his more heavy projects. And of course, if you don't like Deftones, you are a race traitor. ;)

Oh, and if you see it, try to get Jeff Walker und Die Fluffers album "Welcome to Carcass Cuntry", it's a solo album from the guitarist from Carcass and has a load of country songs on it with a slightly metal edge and is surprisingly good.

As for System, I only really liked their first album, I thought the others were swinging towards tedium and lameness. I know Durandal really hates them, though.
Cos Dashit
Jedi Knight

Post by Cos Dashit »

darthdavid wrote:Nickleback.
They only really have one song, they just call it something different every time the put it on an album. Lots of people with little or no taste in music around me fucking love them though so I often have to endure them when music gets selected.
There is one good Nickleback song, the one they did for Spiderman. I think it's called Hero.

I hate: Panic! At the Disco
Also hate: The Star Wars Rap credited to Weird Al Yankovich

Edited: Star Wars Rap credit.
Last edited by Cos Dashit on 2007-01-01 11:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please forgive any idiotic comments, stupid observations, or dumb questions in above post, for I am but a college student with little real world experience.
Thag
Jedi Knight

Post by Thag »

Not quite sure which song you're talking about, but Weird Al's never done a Star Wars rap that I've ever heard of, officially or not. There are a large number of crappy comedy bits that get blamed on him, but they're not his.
"And the sign said, 'Anybody caught tresspassing, will be shot on sight.' So I jumped over the fence and yelled at the house, 'Hey! What -'" BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM
Cos Dashit
Jedi Knight

Post by Cos Dashit »

Thag wrote:Not quite sure which song you're talking about, but Weird Al's never done a Star Wars rap that I've ever heard of, officially or not. There are a large number of crappy comedy bits that get blamed on him, but they're not his.
That might explain it then, because most of his stuff is actually sort of funny.
Please forgive any idiotic comments, stupid observations, or dumb questions in above post, for I am but a college student with little real world experience.
Spin Echo
Jedi Master

Post by Spin Echo »

Ford Prefect wrote:Then I have no idea who did the cover I heard; I know it was Fear of the Dark because even amidst the hacking I was able to discern the chorus. Or some of it.
I'm pretty sure that would be Graveworm. Were there also bagpipes in it?

As for songs I can't stand, I'll jump on the Fergie bandwagon. The Beastie Boys always irritate me, as well as most things by Nirvana. There seems to be a prevalence of droning music lately. When I was a teen, there was a lot of manufactured pop on the radio that I didn't like, but at least it was catchy. The stuff I hear on the radio I hear these days just seems to droll on and on and never go anywhere.
Doom dOom doOM DOom doomity DooM doom Dooooom Doom DOOM!
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Spin Echo wrote:I'm pretty sure that would be Graveworm. Were there also bagpipes in it?
I can't recall any more than the violin that blended in so freaking well.
What is Project Zohar?

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Cos Dashit wrote:There is one good Nickleback song, the one they did for Spiderman. I think it's called Hero.

Do you mean the Star Wars Gangsta Rap? The quality of that song is questionable, but I find the concept amusing.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Darth Yoshi wrote:
Cos Dashit wrote:There is one good Nickleback song, the one they did for Spiderman. I think it's called Hero.

Do you mean the Star Wars Gangsta Rap? The quality of that song is questionable, but I find the concept amusing.
No Wierd Al made his own Star Wars Rap...
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

General Schatten wrote:
Darth Yoshi wrote:

No Wierd Al made his own Star Wars Rap...
Check his catalog - if it's not in there, he didn't make it. The one you're thinking of might be The Saga Begins, but that was American Pie set to EpI-inspired lyrics.

There's also Star Wars Cantina by Richard Cheese & Lounge Against The Machine, but while it is all sorts of awesome, it's based on Copacabana by Barry Manilow and most certainly not a rap.

And I thought one generally stopped listening to metal once that awkward 'hate-the world' puberty phase passes :P
Spin Echo
Jedi Master

Post by Spin Echo »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Spin Echo wrote:I'm pretty sure that would be Graveworm. Were there also bagpipes in it?
I can't recall any more than the violin that blended in so freaking well.
Yep, that would be Graveworm.
Doom dOom doOM DOom doomity DooM doom Dooooom Doom DOOM!
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

Personally, I dislike the gutteral sound of many metal singers because it is so clearly a deliberate "I'm dark and disturbing" affectation. It's like everything I dislike about goths and the whole self-conscious "Look at me, I hate it when people dress for attention" attitude they have.

There's room for shouting in music; basically, songs that are clearly tinged with anger sound best when the singer is basically screaming. But there's a difference between a scream which is tinged with anger and a really obvious and cheesy attempt to sound bad-ass. "Youth Gone Wild" by Skid Row was legitimate metal screaming, but most death metal is just kiddies trying to sound bad-ass. And I can't stand the sound of Lemmy Kilmister or his imitators.

Mind you, my idea of quality metal is Iron Maiden, and Bruce Dickinson actually sings, rather than screaming. That's the other reason for death-metal screeching; they don't have the talent to actually sing, and they think that by screeching or growling instead of singing, they can cover up this massive talent deficiency.
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Goddamnit, this thread has resulted in "My Humps" being stuck in my head. Thanks a lot you guys. :x

:cry:
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

For posterity, Mike, there's lots of death metal acts (though it's rarer in black metal, the link I posted earlier has it in) that mix the growling with proper singing, in fact, almost all melo-death does (Soilwork, In Flames, etc). Fear Factory started the whole proper singing/death growl thing like 15 years ago with Soul of A New Machine and popularised it with Demanufacture. I think you have said you have the Mortal Kombat soundtrack somewhere, the song when Johnny Cage fights Scorpion is from Demanufacture, it's called Zero Signal, that has both vocal styles in.

Oh, and I just remembered...why the christ hasn't anyone put down "Rollin'" by Limp Bizkit? Now THAT is a terrible song.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Spin Echo wrote: Yep, that would be Graveworm.
I have that song off the "Call to Irons" album. And goddamn, such a great friggen cover COMPLETELY RUINED by some douchebag, er "metal vocalist" being gutteral and incomprehensible.

I agree with Mike about Iron Maiden because their lyrics are coherent and they actually jive with the music. I'd take "The Rainmaker" and the original "Fear of the Dark" over 99% of any other metal out there simply because all the elements of the band mesh together so well. Hell, Megadeaths "Die Dead Enough" is another example of all the aspects of a metal band really coming together.

Now, that said, I enjoy a lot of metal instrumentals, I just can't stand it when Johnny Angst decides to open his friggen mouth during the song and ruin it with screeching. Which is why I love Van Halen, but DESPISE Roth and Hagar. When the guys playing the instruments are amazing, you don't need a vocalist trying to gain attention by screeching and grunting.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay