NFL Football Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Darth Fanboy wrote:unless you count this as evidence that the man has no soul.
Which I do!
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Manning's thrown 2 pics and failed to get his team in the endzone from the redzone [once at the doorstep] twice but Kansas City hasn't gotten a 1st down in the entire 1st half.

What a game. :roll:
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Kansas City lost today because:

a)They scored 0 points off of their Three INTs of Peyton Manning, and their defense was stuck out on the field for way too long.

b)They didn't get a first down until late in the 3rd Quarter, and Trent Green sucked save for their lone scoring drive.

c)The Chiefs somehow managed to not be able to run the ball against the worst run fefense in the NFL despite having one of the league's top running backs.

d)all of the above

e)They were incredibly deflated by the cancellation of "The OC".
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

For what ever reason, they stuck Gonzales and the other tight end on the line to block and relied on LJ to make the yardage. Fine in priciple but it wasn't working and they should have figured it out way earlier.

For atleast five years, KC has been know for short passes and screen passes. If all they do (and they did) was rely on LJ to run, then that's easy to read even for the worst rush defense in the NFL.

I've been thinking through out the year that perhaps it's time for Green to think of retirement. That hit first thing this season really rung his bell and he's not been the same since. I'd rather he go out in good grace than drag it out another couple years.

That said, the defense put up a heroic effort and it's usually the offense that run themselves ragged on that team.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

ROMO!

Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Okay, now for some substance to describe my post, but honestly, if you don't get it, you didn't watch the game and are a heathen.

ROMO was the holder on a FG kicked from the right hash, about a 23 yarder. It woulda put the Cowboys up 23-21 with about a minute left.

But then this happened:
SPC Brungardt wrote:ROMO!

he botched the snap and sprinted to the left for his life but to no avail. He was tackled short of the endzone and short of the 1st down.

Seattle got the ball back, got a 1st down but after that, 3 and out while wasting Cowboys timeouts and clock. The Cowboys ended up with 2 seconds and 50 yards and it was tipped down. End of game. Stick a fork in some tuna!

I can't say how awesome that was if only for this: the FUCKING STUPID attention lauded upon the Jay Cutler's and Tony Romo's by the sports media out of all proportion to those players experience. ESPN commenters et. al. CONSTANTLY trotted out Shanahan and Parcell's bold decisions BENCHING EXPERIENCED QB'S ZOMIGODS! as some great fucking indicators of their great-fucking-coaching. It gets old and it's fucking lame. Well Cutler's Bronco's BOMBED and now Romo almost literally single-handedly [both his hands were slippery] ended the Cowboys season.

BRILLIANT! :lol: :!: :mrgreen:
Quadlok
Rabid Monkey

Post by Quadlok »

Oh it was nice to see the hometown boy (Jeremy Stevens) really step up and make some plays (2TD ftw). Maybe now he'll stop getting booed after every dropped pass or incompletion.

But yeah, Romo lost this more than the Seahawks won it.
Watch out, here comes a Spiderpig!

HAB, BOTM
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Babineaux saved the TD by catching Romo's heel on the inside lip of his helmet, between the iron and his forehead.

Lofa Tatupu standing up Jason Witten for ZERO yards after catch on the 1.5 yd line...cast iron balls.

Oh, and Tony Romo being machinegunned by the ROFLcopters...priceless.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

The best part is that the Cowboys probably blow up in the offseason; the Giants almost certainly will, regardless of what happens today (though of course, I'd appreciate if we sent them into the offseason with a humiliating ass-whooping; we still owe them for that divisional game back in 2001). The Redskins will be a mess as long as Dan Snyder thinks running a real football team is the same as being in the fantasy football league down at the bar.

Six division titles in seven years, you say? I'll take it.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

AIEEEE!!!

God damnit, you'd think I'd have learned from the Fiesta Bowl that a game isn't over until the clock hits zero. That was, you know, like five days ago.

But no, I turned it off. Damnit.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Was it just me, or did Romo look like a swaggering little punk when they showed the video of him in the stadium a few hours before the game?

In any case, he's a deadman in Dallas.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Darth Garden Gnome

Howedar wrote:AIEEEE!!!

God damnit, you'd think I'd have learned from the Fiesta Bowl that a game isn't over until the clock hits zero. That was, you know, like five days ago.

But no, I turned it off. Damnit.
Ha, they actually brought that up, too. It was definitely a treat watching Romo end Dallas' season. I think Bill Parcells is a cool guy, so it sucks for him, but the rest of the Cowboys can suck it. The football gods smote them and we are all thankful.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I'm just glad that TO did nothing--NOTHING--to help his team win. Two catches for <30 yards, and a couple of key drops on third-down conversions isn't worth $6 million/year.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Now, if Mangini can get it done, my day will be complete...because god knows if the Jets beat New England, it won't be because they blew the Patsies off the field talent wise.

Watson and Harrison are banged up, and with Wilfork on the mend, my fingers are crossed.
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Knife wrote:For what ever reason, they stuck Gonzales and the other tight end on the line to block and relied on LJ to make the yardage. Fine in priciple but it wasn't working and they should have figured it out way earlier.
Welcome to Herm Edwards. You just wait until it implodes under him, then he'll blame the Offensive Co-Ordinator, fire him (even if he objected to working under those conditions) and talk about how you need to shape your game plan to use the personnel you have under you. And then he'll say that he's glad he improved along with the team and that he now knows there are eighty seconds in a minute and not a hundred.

You poor poor bastards.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Master of Ossus wrote:I'm just glad that TO did nothing--NOTHING--to help his team win. Two catches for <30 yards, and a couple of key drops on third-down conversions isn't worth $6 million/year.
I'm glad too, but I'm also kind of waiting for all of his whining about how the game would have turned out different if they'd gotten the ball to him more etc... :roll:
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Darth Garden Gnome

Tsyroc wrote:I'm glad too, but I'm also kind of waiting for all of his whining about how the game would have turned out different if they'd gotten the ball to him more etc... :roll:
I'm waiting his ass to get cut and for no one to be interested in giving him a new contract, even for league minimum. That will be a sweet, sweet day.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Straha wrote:
Knife wrote:For what ever reason, they stuck Gonzales and the other tight end on the line to block and relied on LJ to make the yardage. Fine in priciple but it wasn't working and they should have figured it out way earlier.
Welcome to Herm Edwards. You just wait until it implodes under him, then he'll blame the Offensive Co-Ordinator, fire him (even if he objected to working under those conditions) and talk about how you need to shape your game plan to use the personnel you have under you. And then he'll say that he's glad he improved along with the team and that he now knows there are eighty seconds in a minute and not a hundred.

You poor poor bastards.
Meh, can't be worse than Dick. He was a bit like Bush, in that his loyalty was stronger than his common sense. Oh well, good or bad, Chiefs for life. :P
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Tsyroc wrote: I'm glad too, but I'm also kind of waiting for all of his whining about how the game would have turned out different if they'd gotten the ball to him more etc... :roll:
HIs quotes in the post-game conference were actually rather Un-TO so to speak. All he did was say how he felt bad forRomo and that it was mistakes like his that put Romo in that pressured position to begin with.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Flagg wrote:Was it just me, or did Romo look like a swaggering little punk when they showed the video of him in the stadium a few hours before the game?

In any case, he's a deadman in Dallas.
Cowboys fans love nothing more than turning on QBs. I saw Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman (both HoFers) booed off the field. Danny White and Don meredith were also crapped on by Dallas fans.
Tsyroc wrote:
Master of Ossus wrote:I'm just glad that TO did nothing--NOTHING--to help his team win. Two catches for <30 yards, and a couple of key drops on third-down conversions isn't worth $6 million/year.
I'm glad too, but I'm also kind of waiting for all of his whining about how the game would have turned out different if they'd gotten the ball to him more etc... :roll:
Owens' personal fluffer, Deion Sanders was doing it for him last night. I couldn't understand what he was saying, though. It was garbled because Terrell Owens' dick was in his mouth.
Knife wrote:
Straha wrote:

You poor poor bastards.
Meh, can't be worse than Dick. He was a bit like Bush, in that his loyalty was stronger than his common sense. Oh well, good or bad, Chiefs for life. :P
Vermeil at least changed his spots, which is remarkable considering that he's about 70. I think Al Saunders was overrated (and a backstabber, too), so wouldn't blame it on Mike Solari (the OC). After all, the Chiefs use the same scheme as before, with most of the same coaches. What they're lacking is a deep threat at wide receiver. Until they get one (and soon, Trent Green isn't getting any younger) this is about as far as the team can go, since defenses can crowd the line of scrimmage.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Tsyroc wrote:I'm glad too, but I'm also kind of waiting for all of his whining about how the game would have turned out different if they'd gotten the ball to him more etc... :roll:
They actually did try and get him involved pretty early, throwing him several passes that he dropped or didn't get open for. I'm not concerned about that stuff in the least.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Eh. Its tough to dismiss a coach as far too conservative when one hasn't really watched film, gotten a familiarity with the other team's scheme, what your scheme does to their scheme, and how they'll likely react to your scheme, and what you'll likely do in response to their reaction. Therefore, its tough to criticize a coach, except in very extreme cases.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

TOUCHDOWN, GIANTS! All right, a fast start. The real test is going to come in the 2nd half, where we've sucked for weeks.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

And the Jets crash and burn. Oh well, they definately showed when it comes down to it, they just can't hang with the top teams. I hope we don't lose any personnel in the off season though. Its a good, young team all around, and given enough time together, they have the potential to be a legitimate contender in a season or two.

As it stands though, they played like garbage today, and they deserved the loss
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Day in the life of a Giant's fan.