NFL Football Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

CarsonPalmer wrote:Day in the life of a Giant's fan.
That game was too close for comfort. The Eagles are a far superior team then that, a shame it only came out in the 2nd quarter and in the last drive for the offense.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

I don't know if the Eagles are far superior to the Giants. After all, the Giants won earlier in the year, and took the Eagles to the limit here. At least this game proved that Eli Manning deserves more credit than he gets.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

CarsonPalmer wrote:I don't know if the Eagles are far superior to the Giants. After all, the Giants won earlier in the year, and took the Eagles to the limit here. At least this game proved that Eli Manning deserves more credit than he gets.
More credit than he gets? I can't see the guy through the flying shots of jizz that get thrown his way. What more can they do for the guy than the praise they sing the little mother fucker?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

CarsonPalmer wrote:Day in the life of a Giant's fan.
Enjoy your offseason! That's two NFC East teams not from Philadelphia that can enjoy seven months of backstabbing, recriminations, and if we're really really lucky, axes falling on the necks of coaches.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Knife wrote: More credit than he gets? I can't see the guy through the flying shots of jizz that get thrown his way. What more can they do for the guy than the praise they sing the little mother fucker?
Here in Southern California there is very little praise for Eli, but that's because everyone still hates him for not wanting to play in San Diego. It's hard to make your worst career decision before your career has started but the younger Manning did just that.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

He gets no credit out here in New York. His own coaching staff through the guy to the fucking wolves in the media. Not once did a single Giant step forward to protect their young QB.

I mean, during the Eagles game "The Eagles are making plays, and Eli Manning is not." Not the Giants are not making plays. Manning is not making plays. Never mind the fact that the receivers aren't open and the line can't protect the guy.

On the radio this morning: "Eli Manning proved yesterday that he doesn't have anywhere near the requisite talent to play in the NFL." Forget the fact that he led them from 2nd and 30 to a touchdown.

Also on the radio: "Manning is nothing but a choker." Never mind his game tying drives against the Cowboys and Eagles, a clutch drive against the 'Skins earlier this year, a key scramble to buy the Giants a second chance against the Titans, and some solid performances.

Not that anybody who makes general slams like that actually studies the damn game anyway. Fuck it.

Edit: To clarify, the idiots in the media don't study the game. Not the people on this board.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

A few days late, but I had to share: Hey, CarsonPalmer, if you see She-li, tell him Concrete Charlie says...

This fuckin' game is over!
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Who wins? BB's satanic mind for schemes and gameplan, or Martyball's Wunderkind and Metric Fuckton of talent (and possibly a little HGH)?
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

If Marty Schottenheimer doesn't get this team to the Super Bowl he should get canned. At that point they might as well replace him with Jenna Jameson: at least she won't choke on the big one.
:roll:
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Elfdart wrote:At that point they might as well replace him with Jenna Jameson: at least she won't choke on the big one.
That made my day, man. Big ups.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

I may be a Giants fan, but that Bednarik picture does indeed exemplify ownage. Especially because Frank Gifford is unconscious. You guys win. This time.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:I'm waiting his ass to get cut and for no one to be interested in giving him a new contract, even for league minimum. That will be a sweet, sweet day.
That it would.

I think previously he showed that his talents might be worth the crap he causes but with the Cowboys it became more clear that he probably isn't. I read a lot about him dropping passes, especially during critical times.

Only a crazy or desparate team is going to go for him.

Maybe the Lions will sign him to a big $$ contract as a free agent so Millen won't have to pick a receiver high in the draft this year to waste money on. :D
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

RedImperator wrote:A few days late, but I had to share: Hey, CarsonPalmer, if you see She-li, tell him Concrete Charlie says...

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/8512/gameovervo5.jpg

This fuckin' game is over!
I never noticed that Gifford's jersey is torn at the shoulder pad before.

Just how hard do you have to be hit to be out of the game for a year? :D
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

It was a major concussion and Gifford didn't move a muscle for a long time after the hit and had to be carried off the field. People who watched the game thought Gifford was dead, I shit you not. This idea was reinforced because one of the fans at the game had a heart attack and died before the ambulance could arrive, so his body was covered on a stretcher at the main entrance. People saw that, believed it was Gifford, and thought Bednarik had killed him.

Years later on Monday Night Football when Gifford made an unusually idiotic remark (as opposed to the five or six regular idiotic remarks in the average game), Howard Cosell would wait for a vicious hit and say "Frank, that reminded me of the hit Chuck Bednarik put on you in..."
8)

The after effects must have been pretty bad, since 30 years later he married Kathie Lee!
:P

Speaking of old school broadcasters, the NFL Network is going to show several of the Super Bowl games from the past, only the original broadcast feed from CBS, ABC and best of all, NBC. At least two of them (1972 Dolphins-Redskins and 1978 Steelers-Cowboys) were called by the late great "Cowboy" Curt Gowdy. Anyone who wants to see how games were called in the good old days should check it out. I have an old tape of a game between the Chargers and Raiders from 1985 called by Charlie Jones (another great broadcaster from the old AFL days) and it's pretty amazing to see a game without all the graphics and clutter you see on screen nowadays.
Ericxihn
Youngling

Post by Ericxihn »

Elfdart wrote:If Marty Schottenheimer doesn't get this team to the Super Bowl he should get canned. At that point they might as well replace him with Jenna Jameson: at least she won't choke on the big one.
I remember you made the exact same crack last year, except about Peyton Manning.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

I love watching old football games. One can watch the game, see the formation and the defense, and have a chance to think quickly about what might happen before it does. While its happening, one has a clear view of the play and the announcers tend to know the game.

The next best thing to actual rebroadcasts of old Super Bowls is John Facenda narrating them.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Ericxihn wrote:
Elfdart wrote:If Marty Schottenheimer doesn't get this team to the Super Bowl he should get canned. At that point they might as well replace him with Jenna Jameson: at least she won't choke on the big one.
I remember you made the exact same crack last year, except about Peyton Manning.
If the shoe fits, wear it.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Knife wrote: More credit than he gets? I can't see the guy through the flying shots of jizz that get thrown his way. What more can they do for the guy than the praise they sing the little mother fucker?
Here in Southern California there is very little praise for Eli, but that's because everyone still hates him for not wanting to play in San Diego. It's hard to make your worst career decision before your career has started but the younger Manning did just that.
I don't know if that's everyone's opinion back in San Dog.

Honestly, I was pissed off when we expressed interest in Rivers [a la Eli and trading for more]. When Eli said the crap he did, I immediately hated him because I was convinced Drew Brees was franchise material.

But we drafted Rivers and in a franchise-tagged, contract year, Brees got hurt. I always agreed with the Chargers decision to drop Brees cause 1) he got hurt in a contract year 2) we're already paying 2 young QB's some money, we can't do that forever without a QB controversy 3) Rivers isn't being thrown into a bad situation with no support, he's got a team around him.

I'm not surprised Brees is as good as he is with the Saints, watching him in Chargers games, I know he's the shit, the Chargers just don't have explosive recievers. I'm only surprised he physically recovered basically perfectly.

As for Eli, his capability as a passer NEVER ONCE entered my equation or evaluation of him because we really coveted Rivers anyway and cause Brees always impressed me. Before his moronic remarks, I was ignorant or indifferent about him but after, I only ever despised him cause any Chargers fan could tell you, we may be a joke of a team most years since the Super Bowl, but that we are young and definitely coming towards the upswing again.

You don't wanna play for San Diego? Well FUCK YOU, we don't fucking want you anyway! That was exactly my attitude. As a Chargers fan, I was never interested in Eli Manning as a player and didn't care what he cared about, until he basically said "San Diego? They suck, hell no!."

HIS FUCKING LOSS.
Elfdart wrote:
Ericxihn wrote:
If the shoe fits, wear it.
I wouldn't exactly call using the same line in the same context once a fucking year a sign of getting repetitive, tired, or lame. :roll:

Honestly I mean, I'm high and that annoyed me.

(this really deserves being under here every time considering my job and the board pertaining to discussion of legal activities: percocet, prescribed for broken bone, in this particular instance, I'm taking it for my feet. I've stood over 60 hours in the last 9 days)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Believe me, if Manning chokes Saturday against Baltimore I'll laugh at his expense all over again. It's not so much about him as the way his fanwhores gush over him.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Wow, the Colts game is starting the same exact way against the Chiefs. The Ravens in 3 drives got a 1st down [just 1] but the Colts drive methodically twice and end up with field goals and their defense is impressive.

This is surreal... who are these Colts? :shock:

edit: it's been an UGLY FUCKING GAME, with both QB's ratings below 60, but the Colts are up 12-6 and have the ball after the 2 minute mark almost in the redzone. They'll likely kill more clock and get up to an insurmountable 15-6 lead. Honestly, I'm not that surprised; the Ravens had terrible outings against the likes of the BROWNS offensively. They put up some BAD offensive efforts throughout the year, relying on last-second comeback drives.

This is the post season though. Get an offense Baltimore.
Last edited by Medic on 2007-01-13 07:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

SPC Brungardt wrote:Wow, the Colts game is starting the same exact way against the Chiefs. The Ravens in 3 drives got a 1st down [just 1] but the Colts drive methodically twice and end up with field goals and their defense is impressive.

This is surreal... who are these Colts? :shock:
No shit. :shock:

Of course there's still 3 minutes to go, so Manning still has plenty of time to throw an interception and have it returned for a touchdown. :P
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

I'm glad I did bet on this game. I was convinced going into it that Baltimore would dominate. Wow.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Sorry Glocksman, I called it closer. :wink:

SERIOUSLY THOUGH, I'm fucking shocked! :shock: The Colts walked into Baltimore, ran the ball the whole game -- committed a few turnovers -- but for the most part, they took the Ravens on on their own strengths, possession football, ugly football and defense, and won.
IN BALTIMORE!

Whoever wins in the Chargers game next week is facing ... a Colts Defense that we all thought last year would be a difference maker, and died this year? What the flying fuck? :!:
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Shit almighty, did Reggie Bush survive that hit?! Wow. Fucking wow. Am I the only one who saw that?

edit: oh that's cute, some blonde chick had a shirt that said "fuck da eagles" :lol: I'm sure they wanted to get off that feed right fast.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Yeah, Bush got clocked. I'm sure his TD run made him feel better, though. :)
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution