NHL 2006/2007 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Anyone else see that horrible fuckup during the Dallas/Edmonton game the other night?
I was watching Patrik Stefan and Ray Ferraro in all their terrible glory live on the Sportsnet West Oilers broadcast.

What I didn't need was the hated Oilers to get a freebie point. Thanks Dallas.
In Omnia Paratus.
Peace. Order. Good government.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I guess the referees have collectively decided that if the Sharks are going to score on a quarter of their powerplays, they don't deserve to be protected anymore by penalty calls. In the last few games:

*Oleg Saprykin left his feet to deliver an elbow to the head of Joe Thornton.
No call.

*The Oilers repeatedly slashed, high-sticked, held up, and interfered with the Sharks, who were meanwhile getting called for some touch fouls.

And just today:

*Brad Willsie hit Mark Smith in the numbers into the boards, such that Smith didn't have a chance to protect himself. Smith was clearly shaken up, and missed the next shift, but returned later in the period.
No call.

*Andre Kopitar took his hand off his stick so he could punch Marc Eduard Vlasic's head into the boards, injuring Vlasic (who did not return).
No call.

*After Patrick Rismiller scored on an empty net, Rob Blake slashed him in the torso/arm area, then skated all the way around the net to take a run at him, and punched him in the shoulder.
No call.

I simply don't understand any of these decisions. On at least two of them today (Willsie on Smith and Kopitar on Rismiller), there was a referee with no players between him and the infraction, and in both cases the referee was within ~30 feet of the infraction with a clear view. On the Rismiller goal, I lost track of the referees because of the camera angles (which were showing his decidedly subdued celebration), but as a referee you have to be watching that stuff. I simply don't understand why other teams can deliberately go after our players without any repercussions.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Anze Kopitar gets EVERYTHING at Staples Center. He has talent, he doesn't need to get away with it.

A good night for SDNs teams Ducks Crush Stars, Wings pull away late in the Desert, Sharks handle Kings, (all three teams scoring five!) and in the head to head matchup of Eastern favorites, the Leafs beat the Sabres.

Somebody explain to me why even Vancouver fans think Luongo is the top goalie in the Western Conference? He's barely top five material as it is. I'd take Giguere, Hasek, Kiprusoff, Hell maybe even Turco over Luongo (except in the playoffs) Vokoun and Toskala are close.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Anze Kopitar gets EVERYTHING at Staples Center. He has talent, he doesn't need to get away with it.

A good night for SDNs teams Ducks Crush Stars, Wings pull away late in the Desert, Sharks handle Kings, (all three teams scoring five!) and in the head to head matchup of Eastern favorites, the Leafs beat the Sabres.

Somebody explain to me why even Vancouver fans think Luongo is the top goalie in the Western Conference? He's barely top five material as it is. I'd take Giguere, Hasek, Kiprusoff, Hell maybe even Turco over Luongo (except in the playoffs) Vokoun and Toskala are close.
I spent a vast amount of time at that damn Canucks board. Nearly 10,000 posts. At least 1/3 of them have no idea what they are talking about and another 1/3 are homers.

As for all your teams scoring five...

Mine scored 7!
In Omnia Paratus.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Archon wrote: I spent a vast amount of time at that damn Canucks board. Nearly 10,000 posts. At least 1/3 of them have no idea what they are talking about and another 1/3 are homers.
Ahh that's right. The same people that predict the Canucks will win every game 3-0 every night with Markus Naslund or one of the Sedins getting a shitload of points.

As for all your teams scoring five...

Mine scored 7!
EDIT:

I still find it crazy that one Game Day thread on that board can easily exceed 100 pages on a given night.

Doh! Meant to add that in in front of the Leafs/Sabres. My Bad. I actually got to watch part of almost every game today, because NHL Center Ice was being broadcast as a free preview. Colorado's announcers were not very happy during the third period and the later part of the second I can tell you that.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Ah yes, Soft Hands Homer nails three for his second career hat trick (who's first, I might add, was on the Sharks :razz:). Wings like playing the 'Yotes: two hat tricks in as many games this season.

EDIT: As for Luongo, I agree, overrated. He faces a lot of shots but he surrenders a lot of softies, too. Giguere, Hasek, Kipper, Vokoun, Nabby/Toskala all come before Luongo in my book. Can't give the nod to Turco, though, he's a certified choker.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Can't give the nod to Turco, though, he's a certified choker.
It used to be that he didn't start choking until April and May, this year does not seem to be the case. He's no all star but I would still take him over Luongo.

FUN FACT EDIT:

Ignoring the fact that their division champion will get the 3rd seed. The Northwest Division teams are ranked 6-10th in the Western Conference. Which makes every one of those games that much more interesting down the stretch and is a great argument for the current setup with all those games against divisional rivals.

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Darth Fanboy wrote:FUN FACT EDIT:

Ignoring the fact that their division champion will get the 3rd seed. The Northwest Division teams are ranked 6-10th in the Western Conference. Which makes every one of those games that much more interesting down the stretch and is a great argument for the current setup with all those games against divisional rivals.
The other two Western Conference divisions, though, are big arguments against it. Essentially, Detroit and the Predators can rack up their points with games against Chicago, Columbus, and Saint Louis (three of the five worst teams in the League, by virtually any standard). In the meantime, the Ducks, Sharks, and Stars beat up on each other, potentially setting up a situation where the second and third best teams in the Conference (after Dallas gets its players healthy) have to play each other in the first round.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Darth Garden Gnome

Detroit and the Dominator roll versus Montreal. The Wings were completely in control from start to finish, and Hasek shows why he should've gone to the All-Star Game with yet another shutout.

Caught the San Jose game afterwards. Holy moly, was the Avalanche goalie Budaj outstanding. If ever a player deserved to be first star in a losing effort, after surrendering three goals, it was him. He turned away chance after chance, but having to face twenty shots in a period(!) will beat any 'tender out there.

Also, having an opportunity to watch the Sharks power play at work when I wasn't either a nervous wreck or completely demoralized and out of it was an experience. The movement down low is fantastic; god bless Jumbo Joe, the man's got vision. There's no wonder they're number one in the league with the man advantage.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Detroit and the Dominator roll versus Montreal. The Wings were completely in control from start to finish, and Hasek shows why he should've gone to the All-Star Game with yet another shutout.
I actually stopped watching that game after a while, since Detroit was so clearly in control of the match.
Caught the San Jose game afterwards. Holy moly, was the Avalanche goalie Budaj outstanding. If ever a player deserved to be first star in a losing effort, after surrendering three goals, it was him. He turned away chance after chance, but having to face twenty shots in a period(!) will beat any 'tender out there.

Also, having an opportunity to watch the Sharks power play at work when I wasn't either a nervous wreck or completely demoralized and out of it was an experience. The movement down low is fantastic; god bless Jumbo Joe, the man's got vision. There's no wonder they're number one in the league with the man advantage.
Indeed. It could've been a lot worse for the Avs, too, if Budaj hadn't been so spectacular. If you're playing the Sharks and give them a power play, your only reliable chance to stop them is to prevent them from gaining the blue line. Once they've got the puck in the zone, your defensemen are reduced to spectators and your forwards have to account for about four players by themselves.

Darth Garden Gnome

Wings smack down Central Division leading Preds, 5-3, chase Vokoun and cut their division lead to just two points. All-Star Zetterberg was 2G 1A, while Datsyuk racked up four assists. Fourteen points in the last five games for Pavel!

This team really looks more like it's geared to playoff hockey than President's Trophy first round ousters of old. The Preds were going nuts sending two (sometimes three!) forecheckers in the first period and making life miserable for the Wings; they went into the locker room (down 2-1) made some adjustments and scored four second period goals to seize victory. Great stuff!
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

As long as the Predators lose, I am happy.
In Omnia Paratus.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

What do you guys think of the All-Star and Young Stars rosters?

I think it's bullshit that Matt Carle was selected to the Young Stars game and not Marc-Eduard Vlasic, who plays more minutes than Carle and is quietly becoming the most solid of all young defensemen.

Also, I can't help but think that Joe Pavelski's nine goals and nine assists in 24 games should've punched his ticket to Big D. Radulov only has 2 more points than Pavelski, but has played in seven more games. And Jokinen only has 4 more assists than Pavelski, but he's played nearly TWICE the games that Pavelski has.

In terms of the All-Star game, much as I love Cheechoo, he shouldn't be in the starting line-up for the West, this year. He just hasn't notched enough points.

Darth Garden Gnome

Oh, Fanboy, you and I are companions in sorrow on this night. Let's go someplace to cry in our beers and think of better days (like Wednesday). :P
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Master of Ossus wrote:What do you guys think of the All-Star and Young Stars rosters?
Getzlaf is not the only Young Duck who deserves to be on that roster for the Youngstars.

I am bummed that Scotty NIeds won't be in the game and I had prayed for a Niedermayer/Pronger pairing for at least one shift. (already wasn't happening.) Andy McDonald being added is a definite plus, him and Teemu should ring up at least one.

DGG I've got plenty of reasons to cry, so don't be offended if I order twice as many beers.

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

And thats two in a row for the Kipper, folks.
In Omnia Paratus.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Belated Congratulations and Victory to the west! Teemu's goal in the ASG and Getzlaf's two goals in the Youngstars game gave us Duck fans something to cheer about this last week.

And don't forget, the Colbert Nation (Saginaw) Spirit are currently on a roll. Clips of Colberts coverage of the Spirit is most entertaining, and clips can be found on the Spirit's website.

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

They should just call it the official NHL shinny game, they could've played the whole game without pads and no one would've gotten a single bruise.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

We're back to real hockey, now, and the Sharks murdered the Oilers 5-1, helping to avenge themselves on our neighbors to the North for knocking us out of last year's Cup chase.

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

The bloody road woes continue and MoO's team can't pull through against the Canucks.

Blast.

At least the Wings beat the Avs. Praise the lord for small miracles.
In Omnia Paratus.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Archon wrote:The bloody road woes continue and MoO's team can't pull through against the Canucks.

Blast.

How can we take 40 shots and score once? We should've won that game--Luongo came up huge for his team.

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Archon wrote:The bloody road woes continue and MoO's team can't pull through against the Canucks.

Blast.

How can we take 40 shots and score once? We should've won that game--Luongo came up huge for his team.
40 shots you say?

Christ, maybe Luongo isn't overrated then.
In Omnia Paratus.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

What was the deal with the Detroit/Colorado game anyways? After the Ducks finished stomping the Stars they cut away to the last thirty seconds and the announcers kept mentioning some sort of play that I never could find an update for.

Darth Garden Gnome

They were probably talking about Holmstrom's goal. He knocked the puck in with a high stick, according to practically every camera angle I saw, but they let it stand anyhow. It ended up being the GWG, so there's some controversy there.

It's just cosmic justice for the time Homer's goal was waived off because he was standing "in" (read: several feet outside) the crease. And the other time when a goal was scored while a Dman was shoving him into the netminder, resulting in no penalty for goalie interference, but a no-goal.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

The Bring Back Craig Conroy campaign is successful.

TO Calgary:
Craig Conroy

TO Los Angeles:
Jaime Lundmark
4th Rounder in 2007 Draft
2nd Rounder in 2008 Draft

Bit of an overpayment but I am happy.
In Omnia Paratus.