Snow Day!

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Snow Day!

Post by Hawkwings »

We have a snow day here today! Now, this may not be great news to those of you that have snow on the ground 7 months out of the year or anything, but where I live, we're lucky to get one snow day like this a year!

School's canceled, too :wink:

Here's some pictures. I'll go outside and take more soon.
Red Star
Padawan Learner

Post by Red Star »

School was canceled because of that?

And roads are closed because of that little dusting?

WOW you must not get a lot of regular snow :o
I become death, destroyer of worlds.

Rule 37: "There is no 'Overkill.' There is only 'Open Fire' and 'I Need to Reload.'"
Schlock Mercenary
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Post by Master of Cards »

I got out of School beacause of a Water Main Break (only half day thourgh)
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Fuck that is alot of snow.

*stares at desert outside*
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

We've had snow up here in the Seattle area since last Wednesday - couple that with below freezing temperatures and an inability to de-ice roads and you've got some nasty problems. I can't even get down the hill to go into town, since they haven't bothered plowing or sanding the road.
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Yeah, that's a lot of snow for here. We don't have snowplows in regular service every 7 months of the year, like some places...
Necromancer of Rath
Padawan Learner

Post by Necromancer of Rath »

Oh yes, we get so much snow that I got off work due to a dusting of snow that wasn't even sticking to the roads.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Lucky bastard, its -24 degrees outside in winnipeg and no snow day for Zor, though i am liking my courses at university and i did get a lift.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Iowa got snow for the first time this winter over the weekend, and it still here. it's also damn cold now!

Hooray!!
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Spin Echo
Jedi Master

Post by Spin Echo »

Ace Pace wrote:Fuck that is alot of snow.

*stares at desert outside*
No, this is a lot of snow. The bump in the snow in roughly the middle of the photo is a roof.

That being said, I would have been grateful for any snow we would have had over Christmas. Bloody 16 degree and sunny. Bah!
Doom dOom doOM DOom doomity DooM doom Dooooom Doom DOOM!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Shit, you people are wussies... I remember sloshing thru 2-3 feet of snow to get to the school bus, and the only reason we didn't make it to school that day was because the bus started sliding backwards on a hill a mere two miles from the school!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Two feet of snow here would be unheard of and would literally shut down the entire region. We get this sort of snowfall in the Portland metro area maybe once a year. There have been years where we don't ever get snowfall to this degree.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Nope, like last year.

New pictures are up!

EDIT: For a surprise prize, calculate how many inches of snow fell!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: Snow Day!

Post by General Zod »

Hawkwings wrote:We have a snow day here today! Now, this may not be great news to those of you that have snow on the ground 7 months out of the year or anything, but where I live, we're lucky to get one snow day like this a year!

School's canceled, too :wink:

Here's some pictures. I'll go outside and take more soon.
That's it? Call me back when you have some real snow. :P

And those images are just from the metro area. The suburbs and mountains got considerably more snow during our big storm this year.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Looks like a lot of schools are going to be closed for a second day - the concern being that the compacted snow will freeze up good overnight and lead to hazardous driving conditions. I imagine it wouldn't be a problem for a lot of places that have the infrastructure to deal with regular snowfall, but as it is it looks like a lot of students in the area will have enjoyed a five-day weekend this year.

Including me. Whee!
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

LadyTevar wrote:Shit, you people are wussies... I remember sloshing thru 2-3 feet of snow to get to the school bus, and the only reason we didn't make it to school that day was because the bus started sliding backwards on a hill a mere two miles from the school!
I live in a city with winters tougher than those that sent the nazis packing from russia. In elementry school me and my classmates had outdoor recess in negative thirty degree weather before windchill. You don't know cold until you faced down a full fledged Winnipeg Winter.

Edit: and Hawkings, they called a snow day for THAT, fuckin' Pathetic. My little sister echos that sentiment.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

I remember the good old days, when we got two-foot plus snow storms at least half a dozen times a year, and a week of school closings, at least, was a given. What do we have this year? Two transient dustings and a sleet storm. :?
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I heard some places in the US don't allocate much funds to clearing snow, so when they get hit by too much, they simply shut down.

That isn't quite a lot of snow to get Michigan to shut down that's for sure. I know we were hit by stuff every weekend at one point of time and sch will still go on as if nothing has happened. Can't help but noticed that no one cleared the pathways in those photos.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Zor wrote: I live in a city with winters tougher than those that sent the nazis packing from russia. In elementry school me and my classmates had outdoor recess in negative thirty degree weather before windchill. You don't know cold until you faced down a full fledged Winnipeg Winter.

Edit: and Hawkings, they called a snow day for THAT, fuckin' Pathetic. My little sister echos that sentiment.

Zor
If you read the thread you'd realize that the Pacific NW metro areas simply don't get hit by any appreciable amount of snow very often at all, and as such we lack the equipment and experience to keep things operating smoothly in the face of such weather. Even if we had the equipment, given that most people don't know how to drive in the snow around here I'd personally prefer that we shut down rather than try to press on like nothing's going on.
What is Project Zohar?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

SancheztheWhaler wrote:We've had snow up here in the Seattle area since last Wednesday - couple that with below freezing temperatures and an inability to de-ice roads and you've got some nasty problems. I can't even get down the hill to go into town, since they haven't bothered plowing or sanding the road.
I cannot understand why we don;t have any real capability to at least salt the fucking roads. I know this is supposed to be all rare and shit, but how expensive is it to get half a dozen plows?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

When they just sit around for 2 years at a time doing nothing? And still have to be maintained? Probably not that expensive, but more trouble than it's worth. Besides, who doesn't like several unscheduled days off?

And yes, we do have some plows. They were busy clearing the main highways.

No school for a second day here. Yes, we're so pathetic that we don't have to go to school for two days, maybe even three. Pathetic, I tell ya.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

It's SNOWING. Here. In Southern California. Around the Los Angeles area. RIGHT OUTSIDE MY WINDOW!

The impossible has happened!!!
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Well you fuckers can put it into dumptrucks and ship it to massachusetts, cause we aren't see shit. For the first time I've seen ice on the motherfucking ground, and that was today.

Motherfuckers. GIVE ME MY MOTHERFUCKING SNOW. I WANT THREE FUCKING FEET ON THE GROUND, AND I DON'T WANT IT ON APRIL FOOLS LIKE THAT ONE DAMN YEAR.
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Fort Hood has been closed for nonmission essential personnel for the last two days. Luckily this happened at the end of a four day weekend, so I'm been off for si days straight now. My tank has been frozen shut by the ice, so I can't do any work or got on them. This is the first time on my life I've seen snow or any accumulation at all, it's great.
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Singular Quartet wrote:Well you fuckers can put it into dumptrucks and ship it to massachusetts, cause we aren't see shit. For the first time I've seen ice on the motherfucking ground, and that was today.

Motherfuckers. GIVE ME MY MOTHERFUCKING SNOW. I WANT THREE FUCKING FEET ON THE GROUND, AND I DON'T WANT IT ON APRIL FOOLS LIKE THAT ONE DAMN YEAR.
Click below.

Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |