Diva Dance help from 5th Element.

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Diva Dance help from 5th Element.

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Real simple, I just laid a bet with a firend that in the Aria of 5th Element, that it was didgital enhanced. Basically My friend swears up and down that the song ALL of it, is sung by a human voice.

Now, I know virtually nothing of singing, but I know a lot about computers and didgital effects. And theres more than a few parts of that Aria that sound HIGHLY enhanced by digital effects. Specfically the sections toward the very end when the 'voice' is shifting tones highly rapidly.

I'm already searching, but if someone else can help I'd appricate it.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Okay, the bad news is it's Wiki (scroll to or click on music). Sorry, it's the only thing I could find that mentioned the opera. The good news is that we might be able to verify it (I'm trying but I don't have a copy of the movie and I'm running into a brick wall with Google):
The Diva Dance opera performance featured music from Lucia di Lammermoor Part Two, Act Two, N. 14 Scena ed aria, "O giusto cielo!" and was voiced by Inva Mula-Tchako. However, Plavalaguna was played by French actress Maïwenn Le Besco. As Plavalaguna is an alien, the music was scored with some vocalisations that have been rumoured to be physically impossible, but in the documentary on the Special Edition version of the film it is stated that Inva Mula-Tchako's voice wasn't digitally altered. Canadian vocalist Marie-Ève Munger is known to have performed the complete diva dance sequence in front of a live audience, and her performance was later aired on Québec television as part of a promotion for a televised boxing event.
That all said, I'm still calling bullshit. I can fucking hear the damn synth when they make realy quick transitions. Unless I'm smoking crack...
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I lived with Opera performers for quite a long time, and let me just confirm that it is possible for the human voice to sing those notes. It is simply uncommon for them to be used un such a disjointed manner, making it sound as though it were altered somehow.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

All I know is in my gut, the sounds she makes toward the end sound REALLY false. Maybe they can be made by Humans, by the rapid seccesion and quick changes of the tones simply sounds artifical.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

The first half (the non-techno part) is an actual aria. The second half, however, is is synth. Listen closely and you'll hear some quirks in the releases and attacks. Also, some of the rapid higher material sounds nothing like how an actual soprano would attack it. So that being said, you've made yourself some money.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Saurencaerthai wrote:The first half (the non-techno part) is an actual aria. The second half, however, is is synth. Listen closely and you'll hear some quirks in the releases and attacks. Also, some of the rapid higher material sounds nothing like how an actual soprano would attack it. So that being said, you've made yourself some money.
Yes, but I need to PROVE it... I KNOW It sounds bogus, but this guy swears its real. I gotta somehow prove it :/
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Rent the DVD or spec. edition and see if its covered. That's the best I method I can think off...
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Because this thread made me want to watch that song, which is really quite cool, I found it on Youtube. And while it almost certainly sounds to have been synth tweaked, upon listening carefully they seemed to have done it quite seamlessly.
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

If Brightman actually sung that, I would be very impressed.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Academia Nut wrote:Because this thread made me want to watch that song, which is really quite cool, I found it on Youtube. And while it almost certainly sounds to have been synth tweaked, upon listening carefully they seemed to have done it quite seamlessly.
Thanks for the youtube clip. Because at exactly 1:04sec, listen to that piece very closely. That is the exact piece of "singing" in question. If that isn't done on a computer, I'll eat my hat :P
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Even if all the sounds are actually done by a human voice I tend to think that they were either tweaked or at least assembled after the fact. It would be really impressive if someone could sing that live without electronic help.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
Saurencaerthai wrote:The first half (the non-techno part) is an actual aria. The second half, however, is is synth. Listen closely and you'll hear some quirks in the releases and attacks. Also, some of the rapid higher material sounds nothing like how an actual soprano would attack it. So that being said, you've made yourself some money.
Yes, but I need to PROVE it... I KNOW It sounds bogus, but this guy swears its real. I gotta somehow prove it :/
You could try to get in touch with composer Eric Serra and ask him yourself. IMDB listed his email as x-plorians @ericserra.com.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

I've always thought that part was synthesized and upon first hearing it, I rolled my eyes like it was impossible to do but then I realized that she was an alien and was supposed to have a different anatomy and physiology than humans. Yeah, I'd be really impressed if that entire aria was untouched at all. It sounds too fake to be a completely live recording.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.