SW/ST fic: THE LONE DESTROYER

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

SW/ST fic: THE LONE DESTROYER

Post by Master_Baerne »

Behold, my first fanfic. Bit of a cliffhanger, but oh well. More will follow, unless you all hate in in which case no more will follow.

Star Wars
The Lone Destroyer

Dramatis Personae

The ISD Furious

Captain James Devaron, commander of ISD Furious, male human

Commander Tomas Needa, executive officer of ISD Furious, male human

Colonel Parza Viz, fighter commander for ISD Furious and leader of Gray Squadron, female Verpine

Lieutenant Pityr Halleck, engineering technician aboard ISD Furious, male human

Chapter 1

Captain James Devaron stood on the bridge of the Imperial Star Destroyer Furious. The mighty bone-white triangle hung motionless in space, dozens of light years from the nearest settlement. Nothing within sensor range merited investigation. Nothing, that is, except the splotch of impenetrable blackness that cloaked a Rebel base.
“Launch all fighters. Prepare heavy turbolasers for blind targeting. Commander Needa, activate shields.” This would be he crowning glory of his career. The Furious had been assigned to the Death Fleet under Lord Vader, and had been disabled by ion cannon fire at Hoth. Incensed, Vader had detached the Furious to hunt down the supplier of the cannon. Captain Devaron had determined that while the actual maker of the cannon, Kuat Drive Yards, was out of reach, the Rebel base it had passed through on it’s way to Hoth was not.
To that end he had tracked down the stronghold in question, and would soon destroy it.
“Sir, Com/Scan detects a massive disturbance off our starboard bow. It’s moving closer at a rate of ten thousand kilometers per second.” reported Lieutenant Halleck from the crew pit.
“What manner of disturbance?”
“Apparently a wormhole, sir.”
“It’s moving closer, you say? How long until it reaches us?”
“Fifteen minutes Captain.”
“Recall all fighters! Turn about and prepare for a blind hyperspace jump.”
“Sir, is that wise? A blind jump could land us in a star or something. Perhaps we should investigate the wormhole. It could contain valuable resources or a new species of alien.”
“Commander Needa, I am not interested in aliens at the moment. We must jump, or this ship could be lost forever.”
“Yes sir.” he said, nodding briskly. “Gray, Black, and Obsidian Squadrons are onboard. It will take Onyx and Dusk Squadrons a few more minutes to dock.”’ There was a look of apprehension on Needa’s face.
“We don’t have a few more minutes.” It was more of a statement than a question.
“No sir.” came the dejected reply.
“What about Ebony and Sable Squadrons?” inquired Captain Devaron, his eyes narrowed with worry.
“They hadn’t launched yet.” Devaron breathed a sigh of relief. At least some of his troops would survive.
“Carry on, Lieutenant.” Outwardly, Captain Devaron looked the perfect Imperial officer; calm, collected, and interested in his subordinates welfare. Inside, however, his mind was churning. Should he make the jump to lightspeed, and lose two dozen good men to either a wormhole or the Rebel base’s defenses? To wait might endanger the lives of his entire crew. “Prepare for lightspeed, Commander Needa. Order Ebony and Sable to make best speed towards us. Wait until the last possible second before jumping. If they don’t make it...”
“Yes sir, I understand.” Needa saluted smartly and shouted to the Navigation technician. Just then, an iridescent blue bolt as large as a Corellian Corvette erupted from the cloaked base, striking the Furious amidships.
“Damage report!” shouted Devaron heatedly. “Was that an ion cannon?”
“Yes sir,” replied Lieutenant Halleck. “Just like the one at Hoth. Shields, weapons, and hyperdrive are off line. We still have sublight propulsion though.”
“All speed ahead towards Ebony and Sable. Tractor them in as fast as possible!” Might as well save as many soldiers as possible, then. Maybe we’ll survive.
“Aye aye sir.”
The wormhole sped toward them. Furious had just enough time to retreive the last of it’s fighters before the great ship was swallowed by the ravening hole through space and time.

END CHAPTER ONE
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Er. I think something's missing. Maybe that little something called 'paragraphs'?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Re: SW/ST fic: THE LONE DESTROYER

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Master_Baerne wrote:Dramatis Personae
THAT'S A FUCKING 50DKP MINUS! --Dives
Image Image
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

Not bad i just want to see more before I actual say something
pieman3141
Youngling

Post by pieman3141 »

Spacing. There's a reason why professors don't accept anything single-spaced beyond letters, resumes, and one-page assignments.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

I can't read anything that's improperly spaced. Don't know why. There could be a good story up there, but I'll never know.

Unless you fix it.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

If I can read this chapter at the beginning of an average fart and have it finished by the time the stink hits my nose, then it is not a chapter.

Now remember though, just because I am asking that you make your chapters longer doesn't mean I want more. The story seems rather generic at this point.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Sorry about the paragraphs (or lack therof). It was copied and pasted, and I diodn't take the time to see whether the paragraphs were there. I'll fix that, and add the next bit.
Conversion Table:

Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I'm getting "Star Destroyers: Rampant" vipes from this one. No-one wants to read about the Empire curbstomping Trekverse.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Crazedwraith wrote:I'm getting "Star Destroyers: Rampant" vipes from this one. No-one wants to read about the Empire curbstomping Trekverse.
Wasn't that the one that had the imps making Hypermater from black holes and the Defiant being a significant threat to the ISD?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Oh, the Imps don't get to curbstomp anybody. Horrible things happen to everybody involved...
Conversion Table:

Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:I'm getting "Star Destroyers: Rampant" vipes from this one. No-one wants to read about the Empire curbstomping Trekverse.
Wasn't that the one that had the imps making Hypermater from black holes and the Defiant being a significant threat to the ISD?
No, that was Micheal January's ISD: Eliminator, a much better quality fic than Rampant. Rampant was just rampant stupidity.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Singular Quartet wrote:
Crossroads Inc. wrote:
No, that was Micheal January's ISD: Eliminator, a much better quality fic than Rampant. Rampant was just rampant stupidity.
Was there ever a sequel to this ? Any more stories after the refit, and the two more names to be dealt with ?

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

To my knowledge, there was never anything past the first part.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Sorry about the previous lack of spacing. I'll add more to the story when I have time.

Captain James Devaron stood on the bridge of the Imperial Star Destroyer Furious. The mighty bone-white triangle hung motionless in space, dozens of light years from the nearest settlement. Nothing within sensor range merited investigation. Nothing, that is, except the splotch of impenetrable blackness that cloaked a Rebel base.

“Launch all fighters. Prepare heavy turbolasers for blind targeting. Commander Needa, activate shields.” This would be he crowning glory of his career. The Furious had been assigned to the Death Fleet under Lord Vader, and had been disabled by ion cannon fire at Hoth. Incensed, Vader had detached the Furious to hunt down the supplier of the cannon. Captain Devaron had determined that while the actual maker of the cannon, Kuat Drive Yards, was out of reach, the Rebel base it had passed through on it’s way to Hoth was not. To that end he had tracked down the stronghold in question, and would soon destroy it.

“Sir, Com/Scan detects a massive disturbance off our starboard bow. It’s moving closer at a rate of ten thousand kilometers per second.” reported Lieutenant Halleck from the crew pit.

“What manner of disturbance?”

“Apparently a wormhole, sir.”

“It’s moving closer, you say? How long until it reaches us?”

“Fifteen minutes Captain.”

“Recall all fighters! Turn about and prepare for a blind hyperspace jump.”

“Sir, is that wise? A blind jump could land us in a star or something. Perhaps we should investigate the wormhole. It could contain valuable resources or a new species of alien.”

“Commander Needa, I am not interested in aliens at the moment. We must jump, or this ship could be lost forever.”

“Yes sir.” he said, nodding briskly. “Gray, Black, and Obsidian Squadrons are onboard. It will take Onyx and Dusk Squadrons a few more minutes to dock.”’ There was a look of apprehension on Needa’s face.

“We don’t have a few more minutes.” It was more of a statement than a question.
“No sir.” came the dejected reply.

“What about Ebony and Sable Squadrons?” inquired Captain Devaron, his eyes narrowed with worry.

“They hadn’t launched yet.” Devaron breathed a sigh of relief. At least some of his troops would survive.

“Carry on, Lieutenant.” Outwardly, Captain Devaron looked the perfect Imperial officer; calm, collected, and interested in his subordinates welfare. Inside, however, his mind was churning. Should he make the jump to lightspeed, and lose two dozen good men to either a wormhole or the Rebel base’s defenses? To wait might endanger the lives of his entire crew. “Prepare for lightspeed, Commander Needa. Order Onyx and Dusk to make best speed towards us. Wait until the last possible second before jumping. If they don’t make it...”

“Yes sir, I understand.” Needa saluted smartly and shouted to the Navigation technician. Just then, an iridescent blue bolt as large as a Corellian Corvette erupted from the cloaked base, striking the Furious amidships.

“Damage report!” shouted Devaron heatedly. “Was that an ion cannon?”

“Yes sir,” replied Lieutenant Halleck. “Just like the one at Hoth. Shields, weapons, and hyperdrive are off line. We still have sublight propulsion though.”

“All speed ahead towards Onyx and Dusk. Tractor them in as fast as possible!” Might as well save as many soldiers as possible, then. Maybe we’ll survive.

“Aye aye sir.”
The wormhole sped toward them. Furious had just enough time to retreive the last of it’s fighters before the great ship was swallowed by the ravening hole through space and time.

EDIT: Fixed the squadron names as per General Trelane's recommendation.
Last edited by Master_Baerne on 2007-01-19 04:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conversion Table:

General Trelane (Retired)
Jedi Knight

Post by General Trelane (Retired) »

Master_Baerne wrote: “Gray, Black, and Obsidian Squadrons are onboard. It will take Onyx and Dusk Squadrons a few more minutes to dock.”

“What about Ebony and Sable Squadrons?”

“They hadn’t launched yet.”
Master_Baerne wrote: "Order Ebony and Sable to make best speed towards us. Wait until the last possible second before jumping. If they don’t make it...”
Master_Baerne wrote: "All speed ahead towards Ebony and Sable. Tractor them in as fast as possible!"

Seems you've mixed up your squadron references, no?
Time makes more converts than reason. -- Thomas Paine, Common Sense, 1776
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Sad but true. Thanks for telling me.
Conversion Table: