NFL Football Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

You guys have no idea jacked up I am right now. Years of being a Colts fan, and people asking me, "why?" Years of going to the playoffs and coming up short. The Colts are finally going to the Super bowl.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Really, it seemed like the weakest Colts team in a while, but the first to reach the Super Bowl... but that's the way it goes sometimes in the NFL.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Master of Ossus wrote:Tom "Mr. 'Clutch'" Brady threw an interception to end the game on the last drive. And Peyton Manning now owns the largest comeback in history.

Also, Belichick really is classless. He didn't even bother to shake hands with Manning after the game.
Nitpick: AFC Championship History. The Oilers 35-3 collapse against Buffalo still holds that dubious honor.

I got the inkling things were headed south for NE when the cameraman caught him bellowing at all and sundry, on and off the field. Then he made straight for the showers.

As Jason Taylor will attest, pissed off Tom Brady can be your best friend.
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Really, it seemed like the weakest Colts team in a while, but the first to reach the Super Bowl... but that's the way it goes sometimes in the NFL.
I think that is a good thing for them though. Instead of blowing out teams like they did in years past, they've had to bust their asses, and play under pressure to win. That's why I think they were able to keep it together today, and win.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Flagg wrote:
Master of Ossus wrote:Tom "Mr. 'Clutch'" Brady threw an interception to end the game on the last drive. And Peyton Manning now owns the largest comeback in history.

Also, Belichick really is classless. He didn't even bother to shake hands with Manning after the game.
Yeah, he barely even acknowledged Dungy. And was it just me, or did Brady run off the field crying like a little bitch with a skinned knee?
He did that last year when the Chargers spanked the Pats up in Foxboro. He just sashayed off the field and ignored everyone like he was a fine chick at the club or something. What a douchebag!
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

I'm unspeakably frustrated and angry at the world of football. Only seeing Brady toss a pick on an attempted winning drive has kept me from giving up altogether.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Elfdart wrote:
Flagg wrote:

Yeah, he barely even acknowledged Dungy. And was it just me, or did Brady run off the field crying like a little bitch with a skinned knee?
He did that last year when the Chargers spanked the Pats up in Foxboro. He just sashayed off the field and ignored everyone like he was a fine chick at the club or something. What a douchebag!
As a Hoosier, I'm pleased that the Colts beat the Pats (I'm really a Steelers fan though).
Frankly, I'm sick of the constant fellating of Belichick as some kind of coaching genius.
If he's that damned good, why didn't he take the Browns anywhere while he was their head coach.
I'll give him credit for maintaining consistency from year to year, but it's not as if he inherited a 1-15 team and built it up from scratch like Jimmy Johnson did in Dallas.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I think Belichik really is that good. His defenses have been assraping Hall of Fame calibre QBs for twenty years. Jimmy Johnson flopped in Miami, but that doesn't take away from what he did in Dallas.

It doesn't excuse him acting like an asshole, though.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Elfdart wrote:I think Belichik really is that good. His defenses have been assraping Hall of Fame calibre QBs for twenty years. Jimmy Johnson flopped in Miami, but that doesn't take away from what he did in Dallas.
True.
It doesn't excuse him acting like an asshole, though.

Indeed.
A class act he's not.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

Fuck yeah! I fucking HATE the Patriots for the reasons brought up numerous times in this thread (most of them are assholes, including their coach). I just wish Brady wasn't off that field so fast once the game is over, because I wanted to revel in the sadness and anger set upon his face.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Haruko wrote:Fuck yeah! I fucking HATE the Patriots for the reasons brought up numerous times in this thread (most of them are assholes, including their coach). I just wish Brady wasn't off that field so fast once the game is over, because I wanted to revel in the sadness and anger set upon his face.
Watch the post-game presser. You're in for quite a shock. The man possesses a disposition that makes Ben Stein look animated.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Falkenhayn wrote:

Nitpick: AFC Championship History. The Oilers 35-3 collapse against Buffalo still holds that dubious honor.

I got the inkling things were headed south for NE when the cameraman caught him bellowing at all and sundry, on and off the field. Then he made straight for the showers.

NFL.com says he at least stopped to shake hands with Manning.
Several Patriots players -- including Tedy Bruschi, Kevin Faulk and Tom Brady -- certainly knew how special a moment it was for Manning. They made a point of congratulating him on the field after the game, during a wild mob scene on the field with the crowd roaring and blue and white confetti filling the air.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Brady didn't forget his manners then, but Asschick certainly did when he brushed right by Manning without saying a single word.

In fact Belichick looked and acted like a ten year old whose parents just took away his favorite toy. :lol:

Oderint dum metuant
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

I took this screen cap last night, knew it would be gone soon. Look at the poll options. Either someone jumped the gun or they got haxx0red.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Qwerty 42 wrote:
Falkenhayn wrote:

NFL.com says he at least stopped to shake hands with Manning.
Several Patriots players -- including Tedy Bruschi, Kevin Faulk and Tom Brady -- certainly knew how special a moment it was for Manning. They made a point of congratulating him on the field after the game, during a wild mob scene on the field with the crowd roaring and blue and white confetti filling the air.
Yeah. I just noticed that today. Mea Culpa.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The NFL Network just showed the original broadcast of Super Bowl XIII. It was not only a great game (probably the best Super Bowl ever played), but a great time capsule for 1978.

The three man team of the late, great Curt Gowdy, with Merlin Olsen and John Brodie were excellent. No shouting, shrieking or playing dumb -the polar opposite of the carnival barkers on FOX's telecasts.

Once in a while the score or some relevant stat was shown on the screen. Watching a game free of clutter was kind of shocking, but enjoyable. I didn't realize how accustomed I am now to watching games with a ticker running like stock reports. At the risk of sounding like an old codger, I'd like to say:

If you want to know the score, watch the fucking game!

Things I noticed when the time capsule was opened:

The players seemed puny by today's standards. Aside from Ed Jones and "Mean" Joe Green, the linemen were smaller than many of today's linebackers and tight ends.

What really stood out was the play. John Brodie noted that the Cowboys with QB Roger Staubach were the only team to use the shotgun regularly. Now the only team that doesn't is the Chicago Bears. Terry Bradshaw was one of the last QBs to call his own plays. Brodie also made the astute observation that many times when teams are accused of playing "conservative" they aren't. It's just that they failed to execute. Brodie was so smart and insightful, I couldn't help but wonder how he could get his life's savings swindled from him by the Church of Scientology.

The three-man team of Gowdy, Olsen and Brodie did less yapping than most two-man teams. Sometimes they talked over one another but it was still great stuff.

They games will re-air in about 30 minutes. If you have the NFL Network, enjoy.