Some scenic pictures (frozen lake)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Some scenic pictures (frozen lake)

Post by His Divine Shadow »

We have had a few days of real winter weather finally(well, I hate the cold). This sunday it was 12 degrees (celsius) below freezing. Me and my GF went out for a walk and I had my camera along, I got a lot of pictures from the whole trip so I decided I'd put them online.

We begin behind our house, thats our satelite dish, we'll go to the left from here which south and away from the main road, we're going deeper into the yard so to speak, towards our greenhouses that you cannot see and walking next to them towards the forrest patch behind them and through the forrest patch.

We're now about 300 yards from the house, maybe less, and we've passed the greenhouses and gone through the forrest patch, following a ski track. This is the frozen lake, it is 6 kilometers by 3 kilometers at it's largest points. So far almost untouched, only a ski-track ruins the fresh snow. Later when things freeze even more this lake will have a racing course around the largest island where the local youths will drive with old beat up "ice-cars" for fun. Last year they managed to drive one to the point that a piston-head went flying through the engine.

Anyway here we see the northern shore, thats an old summerhouse there.

Looking ahead into the sun, took these with a sunset filter, looks nice I think:
Image Image

Here are some general pictures of the surroundings shown from the ice:
Image Image

Here's we are further out on the ice and this is my GF, Jasmin, looking like the yeti or something due to the lighting.

We've gone a mile or so now(not very far but theres lots of snow and its very cold), here's a new construction that one of our neighbors is building, mostly just a place to go and have a barveque, not a real summerhouse. We decide to go ashore here and head back on land because the path through the forrest doesn't really go much further.

Here we are back at one of the summer houses I mentioned, seen from the other side. It's getting darker now too, clock is maybe 15:30.
Image Image

In the middle of this picture you can see a spring well, the water is perfectly drinkable, not that I'd take it over tap water mind you because I've seen frogs in it during summer.

Fast forwarding a bit, we've gone back following the northern shore now and taken a road that leads to the main road where I live, we're back out on the road and walking back, we can see our house through some trees from here.

I guess this qualifies as the center of the "village" in which I live.

And finally our house again, from an angle and straight ahead at last. But instead of going home we turn around and visit my grandmother. But this is where I stop taking pictures.
Image Image

So that was the short walk we took through the local nature, we walked in a huge circle, starting from the back of our house and coming back on the main road. Nothing special but it shows the surroundings where I live.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Those are great. I approve of the angles especially. The best ones are the sunset pics.

P.S. I envy the amount of snow you got. Here in Rhode Island, the first snow of the winter was today and we only got one inch. It's about six hours after it stopped right now and it's almost all gone. Damn warm weather.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Nice.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Very cool, winter shots always look nice :)

Keeping in the winter/ice theme:

Taken last December on Lake Erie, stuck in the ice
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Sikon
Jedi Knight

Post by Sikon »

I don't think I have seen many pictures with a filter used to allow the sun in the image when it is brighter than sunset, but that apparently can be an excellent idea. The right one of the pair "looking ahead into the sun" would be my favorite, though others also look good. :D
[/url]
[/url]Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot live in the cradle forever.

― Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Wonderful pictures, especially the first Sunset picture :D (I just finished taking a sunset picture 2 minutes ago, though the winter sun here in the desert is yellow and unimpressive this time of the year :( )
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.