Starship Deckplan

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Starship Deckplan

Post by Stofsk »

From Traveller, I present the ubiquitous Scoutship...

(I didn't draw these btw, I'm just giving you a reference to what it looks like, externally)

And now my deckplan:
I have to say I'm pretty proud of it. The resolution doesn't do it justice, however.

To give you a reference point for what the Scout/courier is equivalent to, it's to Traveller what the Millenium Falcon is to Star Wars - a small ship which carries a small team of explorers or adventurers, robust in design and reliable in use.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Is that hand-drawn? Where did you get that template page from?
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Bounty wrote:Is that hand-drawn?
Yup.

If the resolution were higher you'd easily be able to tell thanks to the imperfections in the inked lines.
Where did you get that template page from?
I believe this is the link to the .pdf.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Beautiful. I think these guys would love to have you around as well. :)
Image Image
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Let's see if I understand the plan: from top to bottom, there's a cockpit with pilot/copilot seats and two stations in the back; a vestibule with storage space with port and starboard...docking ports(?), a common area with two cabins on either side (each with bunk, desk and what looks like a toilet), a cargo hold with a ventral (?) elevator or ramp, a ladder to the turret and two more...engineering spaces?

Neato. Does the headroom work out? I've found that that's the big problem with odd-shaped ships: you make a beautiful deckplan, then you notice that half of it is about 3ft tall...
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Bounty wrote:Let's see if I understand the plan: from top to bottom, there's a cockpit with pilot/copilot seats and two stations in the back;
The pilot's station, the co-pilot station next to it is mainly the flight engineer's station, which allows the engine room to be controlled from the bridge. The table thing in the centre is a 3D holographic cartographic display that can either display local space, or planetary maps. Bottom-right is a station that's rarely occupied, it's tied into the computer (so if you want to do a Spock and look up something - say, information on a planet you've just landed on - that's where you'd go). Bottom-left is the astrogator's station. He plots the jump so the pilot can focus on maneuvers. The astrogator also doubles as the radar and comms man.

Each station can access the communications and sensor array regardless.
a vestibule with storage space
Yep, that's the ship's locker (or lockers), where most of the tools, weaponry, odds and ends, etc are kept.
with port and starboard...docking ports(?),
Those are sensor globes, each have walk-in maintenance areas.

The design is also modular, so you could conceivably take them out and install a higher model of sensor.
a common area
The common area has a galley and a table. I think that square thing is supposed to be the ship's computer.
with two cabins on either side (each with bunk, desk and what looks like a toilet),
The fresher unit is meant to be an all-in-one thing that combines toilet, wash basin, laundry and shower. It's not hard to squeese all that stuff into a small space like a cabin, actually (believe me, I know), with the exception of the laundry. But it's sci-fi anyway.

The basin and toilet are depicted, the shower head would be in the ceiling, which can't really be depicted. Firefly showed us a wash basin and toilet that you pull out when you use it and push back into a slot in the wall, and that's similar to what the fresher does. When pushed back into the slot, your waste and whatever water you used can be recycled.

Pretty incredible things, Fresher units (all of this is straight out of the Traveller ship design rules btw).
a cargo hold with a ventral (?) elevator or ramp,
It's a ventral ramp, just like on the Millenium Falcon.

What's missing is the air/raft, which resembles that flying sled the Fantastic Four use to get around. I would have drawn that in, along with a couple of cargo boxes, to give an idea as to what would be put in there.
a ladder to the turret and two more...engineering spaces?
Each side has a maneuver drive (utilising magic thrusterplates that Stark has been known to describe as 'gaylord'), the Jumpe drive, and the fusion reactor. There are two of each to give redundancy.

Note the aft airlock.
Neato. Does the headroom work out? I've found that that's the big problem with odd-shaped ships: you make a beautiful deckplan, then you notice that half of it is about 3ft tall...
The way the rules work, a 'dton' (displacement ton) is a unit of volume that's 1.5 m x 1.5 m x 3 m. That last is the height. However, around the edges the height surely must taper down to conform with the external views of the ship. So in the common area, and the cargo bay, the ceiling will be 3 m high, and this will be so in the staterooms (for example) except around the bed and fresher area.

But it wouldn't be extreme, I don't think. The ceiling will be shorter on that end of the stateroom but not so much that you'll hit your head - unless you're really tall.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Those are sensor globes, each have walk-in maintenance areas.
Whoopsie, I thought those were docking connectors. It's a bit odd to have sensors on the *side* of the ship and not in front, or is that just me?
But it wouldn't be extreme, I don't think. The ceiling will be shorter on that end of the stateroom but not so much that you'll hit your head - unless you're really tall.
She doesn't taper that much and you'd have some wiggle room with the hull thickness, but it's still something that always gets me by surprise. You know that Simpsons episode where Homer rebuilds Ned's house, Ned walks down the hallway and ends up crawling to a 5"x5" door? That tends to happen with the ships I draw.

Which reminds me...
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

The sensors are distributed, the avionics are in the 'cone' or 'nose' of the ship, you have the two globes along the sides, and you have what looks like a tiny 'boom' jutting out of the aft. (it's right above the aft airlock)

At least I'm guessing that's a sensor boom. I'm not sure what else it could be. It kinda looks like an antenna.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

At least I'm guessing that's a sensor boom. I'm not sure what else it could be. It kinda looks like an antenna.
Spoiler? Weather vane? Rudder :)
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Cool little ship.

Couple bitches as I see em; cockpit/bridge is aweful big for only four crew. Lots of wasted space.

On the other side, engine space seems real small too, don't see much in the way of ship systems in the plan....

Not that it sucks, just saying. To illistrate I guess, here was my take on the YT-2000 I did a long time ago.

Here

Most the intenal volume isn't habbital space and given over to ship functions with a sizable amount to the engines. A lot of the space in your ship is huge with little need for it to be while other places that might need to be huge aren't. Though I admit I have no idea what universe this ship comes from.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Knife wrote:Cool little ship.

Couple bitches as I see em; cockpit/bridge is aweful big for only four crew. Lots of wasted space.
Oh? The bridge does double as a briefing room, of sorts, with that holographic projector in the centre.
On the other side, engine space seems real small too, don't see much in the way of ship systems in the plan....
The engines are small. Traveller uses magic gravitics drives simply so that a ship doesn't need to dedicate two thirds of its mass to engines and fuel.
Most the intenal volume isn't habbital space and given over to ship functions with a sizable amount to the engines. A lot of the space in your ship is huge with little need for it to be while other places that might need to be huge aren't. Though I admit I have no idea what universe this ship comes from.
The cargo bay does look larger than I think it has to be, although what I didn't detail into the plan was a vehicle that would need to be able to exit the ship easily. If I were to draw that in, along with cargo boxes, the cargo bay might look more 'filled in'.

But in any case, this particular ship design doesn't have large engines. Not also, that the ship's computer takes up half the size of a stateroom. (it's that square block next to the table in the common area) Ship's computers are huge in Traveller. :)
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Here's a breakdown of each ship component and it's volume:
  • +100 dton hull size (wedge shape)
    -20 dton bridge
    -2 dton ship's computer (that includes the Model/2 comp, as well as the sensor/communications globes)
    -3 dtons for the Jump-2 Drives
    -20 dtons for Jump fuel (liquid hydrogen tanks)
    -5 dtons for the 2G Maneuver Drives
    -8 dtons for the Tech Level 13 Fusion reactor, plus 4 weeks worth of powerplant fuel (helium-3)
    -2 dtons for the turret hardpoint and 20x sandcanisters (not shown on the plan, the turret is a mixed triple turret, it has two pulse lasers and a sandcaster)
    -16 dtons for the 4x staterooms plus the common area.
    -24 dtons for the cargo bay which includes a 4 dton vehicle.