Middle Eastern Car Racing

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Middle Eastern Car Racing

Post by MKSheppard »

"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Shep, once again you make me doubt that you are in fact a reasonable member of the human race. And not really a racist, psychotic non-entity.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

weemadando wrote:Shep, once again you make me doubt that you are in fact a reasonable member of the human race. And not really a racist, psychotic non-entity.
I think you give the human race too much credit.

Oh and thanks shep, for saying there was yucky violence and everything.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

I watched it without sound, was there any reason given for why the Saudis drive like it's stolen? A mate of mine's mother worked as a nurse in Saudi for a year recently... The mortality rate from vehicular accidents is off the scale, and it's easy to see why.

Reminded me of the Group B rally tragedies of the 80's.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

I'd ask the obvious question of why exactly this is considered fun, but the presence of too much money and free time pretty much answers it for me. Plus, it's not like the Saudis have a monopoly on stupidity when racing and watching cars race - think of all the Europeans standing on or right next to the road during rally races. :roll:
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

think of all the Europeans standing on or right next to the road during rally races.
It's worse than that. Rally cars have a tendency to go straight through the little plastic ropes they use to cordon off the track - there was one infamous case where a rally car jumped right into a supposedly "safe" spectator area, crushing a 14-year-old. The safest place to watch rally is still on TV.
Grandtheftcow
Youngling

Post by Grandtheftcow »

Too bad it wasn't those stupid kids in rice wagons but I'm guessing this is the middle eastern equivalent.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Bounty wrote:It's worse than that. Rally cars have a tendency to go straight through the little plastic ropes they use to cordon off the track - there was one infamous case where a rally car jumped right into a supposedly "safe" spectator area, crushing a 14-year-old. The safest place to watch rally is still on TV.
Sometimes the course marshalls drop the ball when they're setting up. Other times crowd mentality is what gets people killed. A few foolhardy individuals standing at the edge of the road, like you tend to see in Greece and Spain, and suddenly everyone thinks it's safe to do the same thing.

We have a Targa event in this state which attracts drivers from around the world every year. Last year people were up in arms blaming drivers and officials after a car hit a tree on a popular spectator stage and speared into the crowd. The driver reacted well and the people he hit sustained broken bones and concussion, but I don't have too much sympathy for anyone who sits in a deckchair behind a piece of vinyl ribbon, confident that no driver will make a mistake.

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
Lt. Dan
Jedi Knight

Post by Lt. Dan »

Well now, that was interesting to see the driver get launched 40 feet into the air. Seatbelts and locking the door may have helped, but so would have not driving like that. Shit was nuts.
d(-_-)b
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Unlike rally racing this seemed to be the point is to try and fishtail and hold control over long straight stretches, which is retarded. Rally cars at least have a course and mapped out routes. This reminds me more of dirttrack racing that isn't an oval track and no retaining wall, just retarded.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
LaserRifleofDoom
Padawan Learner

Post by LaserRifleofDoom »

The video showed me why street racing is stupid. The cars they were driving were in no way meant to handle at high speed. And there seemed to eb a lot of drivers who couldn't keep strait. Any sensible spectator woud know not to be anywhere nearby.
The Technology of Peace!
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Meest wrote:Unlike rally racing this seemed to be the point is to try and fishtail and hold control over long straight stretches, which is retarded.
I think they were trying to do 360s or 180s.

What I don't get are the endless crowds along the routes, PERFECTLY IN LINE TO BE SMACKED BY A CAR NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

MKSheppard wrote:
Meest wrote:Unlike rally racing this seemed to be the point is to try and fishtail and hold control over long straight stretches, which is retarded.

What I don't get are the endless crowds along the routes, PERFECTLY IN LINE TO BE SMACKED BY A CAR NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS.
I was going to ask why they appeared to be deliberately forcing their cars horizontal to best smear the largest amount of people possible. I was looking for, like CG artifacting or something, wondering if it was a game spoof... but no, it's real.

That's just insanity. All aspects of it seem deranged and not even minutely thought out: the crowds, the sport, and the drivers, they all seem hellbent on a massacre. Does anyone know what they were really trying to do? Are they driving laps or something?
Dargos
Jedi Knight

Post by Dargos »

Iam unable to access the movie at this time (damn web sense) I will look at it at home. But from the description of the movie, it appears that the drivers are attempting perform the act of "Drifting". They are purposely attempting to "drive sideways" as far as possible. It is a rather popular (extremly dangerous) activity in Saudi. Here is a link about drifting
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Bounty wrote:
think of all the Europeans standing on or right next to the road during rally races.
It's worse than that. Rally cars have a tendency to go straight through the little plastic ropes they use to cordon off the track - there was one infamous case where a rally car jumped right into a supposedly "safe" spectator area, crushing a 14-year-old. The safest place to watch rally is still on TV.
untill they drive badly enough to break through the forth wall....

hey, it's comming.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

MKSheppard wrote: What I don't get are the endless crowds along the routes, PERFECTLY IN LINE TO BE SMACKED BY A CAR NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS.
Have you seen the crowds standing around Palestinian terrorists bringing the kids with them and then staying in the same place after the rockets are fired and they know that the IDF will fire on that location (Even in beaches they don't move).
Same principle, Darwin awards all-round :P
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Dargos wrote:...from the description of the movie, it appears that the drivers are attempting perform the act of "Drifting". They are purposely attempting to "drive sideways" as far as possible. It is a rather popular (extremly dangerous) activity in Saudi.
Yeah... In front-wheel-drive Australian built Camrys.

Drifting is popular in a lot of other countries too, but even the people dumb enough to do it in the street generally do it at night and in places where there aren't people lining the streets, except in Japan, where spectators of street dori are sensibly behind barriers.

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

Someone needs to import GTA3 to Saudi Arabia.

Still, for spectator smearing, the 2002 Lviv Su-27 crash for the win.
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Covenant wrote:
MKSheppard wrote:

I was going to ask why they appeared to be deliberately forcing their cars horizontal to best smear the largest amount of people possible. I was looking for, like CG artifacting or something, wondering if it was a game spoof... but no, it's real.

That's just insanity. All aspects of it seem deranged and not even minutely thought out: the crowds, the sport, and the drivers, they all seem hellbent on a massacre. Does anyone know what they were really trying to do? Are they driving laps or something?
It's a sport called "Drifting." As in, you know, The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. Someone has been watching way to many American movies.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Doesn't matter where you're from, stupid people plus cars plus free time equals shit like this.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

fgalkin wrote: It's a sport called "Drifting." As in, you know, The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. Someone has been watching way to many American movies.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
I thought do-rif-tu came out of Japan...
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk